Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's in the script phase though, not the editing phase. That also wouldn't get rid of the really pedestrian (at best) direction in the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Looms have shown up in this thread before. Much like Doctor Who canon itself they're at the heart of things, really.

I can only imagine what Toxxupation makes of the references to the absurd pieces of Doctor Who lore that pepper the conversation (well, more absurd than Doctor Who usually is). Not that he should try to understand it, that way lies madness. There is knowledge that once you understand it, poisons you forever. You will never be clean, never be free, it will always lurk in the shadowed corners of your mind. When you are in your bed at night, drifting on the edge of sleep, you'll think of it.

Alternatively, looms is the goatse.cx of Doctor Who.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
As a person who went to exactly that sort of school, very little different ninety years on, I wouldn't say Redfern was written or acted as "compassionate lady with Old Fashioned Views". That puts too much emphasis on her actual personality, when the position - or the archetype of the position - is what's really being played to: she's very easily identifiable as The Boarding School Matron.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

As a person who went to exactly that sort of school, very little different ninety years on, I wouldn't say Redfern was written or acted as "compassionate lady with Old Fashioned Views". That puts too much emphasis on her actual personality, when the position - or the archetype of the position - is what's really being played to: she's very easily identifiable as The Boarding School Matron.

Well excuse me for not catching the reference, but I'm a proud American and had a proud American education, where we hit each other with bits of broken cinderblock until we learned to love Jesus enough.

Haha, no, but really, our educational system is in the shitter and that's terrible.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Oh, occ, you and oxx must be BEST FRIENDS"

"oh, occ, you and oxx always think alike and he's never a dick to you, :3"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HE BEAT ME BY NINE MILLION loving POINTS

WHAT THE gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We did it!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Toxxupation posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Well no poo poo Benjamin was going to crush Tidus above water.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
^^^ Is that who it is? Huh. I thought it was Bartz.

Of course Oxx is a winner. His taste in bishounen is better than yours.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 26, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

We did it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVf4_WglzWA

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Maybe you should try stepping your game up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Craptacular! posted:

^^^ Is that who it is? Huh. I thought it was Bartz.

I might be wrong. I never use Bartz because the best part of him is the password to unlock his card ("Harem party"). Nothing else about him is good.

edit: Yep, that's Benjamin. MQ for life.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 26, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just want to point out, I always lose, and lose pretty decisively, when playing against oxx, and decided to play it on the hardest mode because well I lose against him on the difficulty I actually am decent at so why not?

Then in the song before this, I still loving lost, but it was kinda close, so he LITERALLY RESPONDED "we can't have that" and chose the hardest song in the loving game

This is how my friend treats me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look upon your avatar and say you do not deserve it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He still visits his internet review friend once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might forgive him, but there he is. Can you see? He beat him by nine million points. In a video game.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Even for games with big numbers, 9 million is a lot to lose by.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

He could have been one of those bosses in the Monster Arena in actual Final Fantasy X and he still would have died!

Quote the above and say "Trap sprung!" for a readymade joke. ;)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bicyclops posted:

He could have been one of those bosses in the Monster Arena in actual Final Fantasy X and he still would have died!

Quote the above and say "Trap sprung!" for a readymade joke. ;)

sorry, I don't know much about pokemon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

He still visits his internet review friend once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might forgive him, but there he is. Can you see? He beat him by nine million points. In a video game.

Do you ever think that StoneGirl and ScarecrowBoy started dating after whatshisname died?

I mean, they're both horrifically immortal thanks to the Doctor, stuck on Earth, and neither can DO much.

I also wonder if they were still on the Earth when Nine watched it burn due to supernova.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If anyone tries to follow this line of conversation into Fanfiction Town again this thread's going on vacation, fair warning.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

armoredgorilla posted:

Read this in Tenth Doctor voice. No regrets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone kept track of how many different ways the world has actually ended in Doctor Who? I think there are at least three different explanations for it on the old show. Plus a couple for Atlantis and a few for the Loch Ness Monster. Not only has he seen everything, he's seen it twice, and it's always different! :haw:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I must have seen these last two episodes, I definitely remember the WW1 school, the pocket watch and Jojen. I think I remember finding the scarecrows a bit too silly though. The review kind of made me want to give it a chance (partially just to see Viserys Targaryen in another role - he came off super well in the DVD commentaries too), adding it to the ranks of that black hole episode, Gridlock and the ending of series 2...

Also Toxx, if you don't mind me asking, what job did you do in the US military?

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
I like this thread. It's like watching an internal monologue of myself watching it, except you are literate, and know many words. You also have taste.

Can't wait for some of my favorites!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Button Mode? Pssh. Real men use the stylus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Real men don't play 3DS Final Fantasy-related dancing games but sure

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

While true, doctor who fans aren't allowed to punch down

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

armoredgorilla posted:

Personally I think seeing it as 4,000% sounds like a lot more.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

:thejoke:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Doctor can travel anywhere in time and space, seems to know every place in the universe and everything that will happen throughout history. He's a trickster who outsmarts seemingly unstoppable threats at every opportunity and death is an obstacle that he has overcome countless times. He interferes with peoples lives and the history of entire worlds and he's laughing the whole time. He is absolutely a capital G God.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Capital G God isn't historically considered much of a trickster, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's certainly a valid enough direction in which to take that character for one incarnation. Fair enough that that one guy doesn't like it but saying it's bad because they did it is silly.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bicyclops posted:

Capital G God isn't historically considered much of a trickster, though.

Sicking a bear on some kids making fun of a bald dude because he prayed for it was pretty funny.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The End of the World"
Series 1, Episode 2

I think I get what the episode was trying to go for- in trying to keep to the theme of "endings", Cassandra is the, quote, "last human in existence". Unfortunately, Cassandra is now so obsessed with staying young and alive that she's removed all traces of humanity via her many various plastic surgery procedures, and is now essentially as tarp with a face. The symbolism is as subtle as a hammer -she's the "last" pure human, but in reality she's the least human of all! Don't you get it? Don't you, Doctor Who fans?

Hold on, the "last human as face-on-a-tarp" thing was the second episode of the Eccleston series?

I must have missed that one the first time it came on, because I watched a lot of the Eccleston series, and liked Eccleston as the Doctor... but when I saw this episode (I guess it was a repeat I saw after "The Christmas Invasion") and that loving tarp-face, I stopped watching and swore the show off forever as terribly stupid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hold on, the "last human as face-on-a-tarp" thing was the second episode of the Eccleston series?

I must have missed that one the first time it came on, because I watched a lot of the Eccleston series, and liked Eccleston as the Doctor... but when I saw this episode (I guess it was a repeat I saw after "The Christmas Invasion") and that loving tarp-face, I stopped watching and swore the show off forever as terribly stupid.

The character returns right after the Christmas special (in a Tennant episode), so you may be thinking of that one (it's also the one in which they mix all the disease remedies into a giant vat to cure the incurable zombie disease).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Tarp-face made a second appearance in the first episode after The Christmas Invasion, that's probably what you're thinking of.

e:f,b

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And now oxx has permanently ruined ff 13 for me by pointing out how it and its sequels are rtd era doctor who, specifically series 1

His cruelty knows no bounds

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Toxxupation posted:

And now oxx has permanently ruined ff 13 for me by pointing out how it and its sequels are rtd era doctor who, specifically series 1

That might be true, but in this case, he's only hurting you because he loves you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Cassandra and Sazh are basically the same character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cassandra and Sazh are basically the same character.

Except FF13 has way better-written women than RTD's run.

• Locked thread