Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HalloKitty posted:

What? Did you not know the value or something? :v:

No, it was just a dollar amount he hardly ever comes across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TPU reviewed the 980 SLI

tl;dr it's good, but the 970 SLI gives you 50% more bang for your buck.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I installed the 970, and everything is great, and so far as I can tell it's quieter than my 560 was.

However When I try and open GeForce Experience it just gets stuck on "Checking for Updates" and doesn't actually do anything. I have the latest drivers from nvidia.com. Any advice? I wanna mess around with shadowplay and stuff :(

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Got a MSI 970 today because I felt like not being 4 years behind on the hardware curve for once. Having a ball with it and played around a bit with the clocks.

There is a problem where the clock occasionally locks itself to 540MHz and I can't seem to bring it up except for with a restart. Is this a common problem?
I never did any overclocking on my old card.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

So I installed the 970, and everything is great, and so far as I can tell it's quieter than my 560 was.

However When I try and open GeForce Experience it just gets stuck on "Checking for Updates" and doesn't actually do anything. I have the latest drivers from nvidia.com. Any advice? I wanna mess around with shadowplay and stuff :(

This is the second time they've had that bug, the only workaround with it before was uninstalling both then installing the drivers first, then GeForce Experience. Hopefully that works again this time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

uaciaut posted:

Another rather silly question, would the integrated GPU of my i5 4690k (the Intel HD Graphics 4600) be able to run Mass Effect 1 without it putting too much strain on the GPU/cooling itself?

I've seen people do some testing on how well it can run some games and it comes p close in results with the Radeon HD 5850 (i used to run ME 1 on an HD 4850 on my old rig) but i'm still somewhat weary of putting too much stress on an integrated GPU.

Try it and find out, nerd. It's pristine silicon as yet untouched by high voltages - it's got more life left in it than your CPU. If your cooling blows and can't hack another 10-15W of juice, that'll show up in your regular CPU temp reading.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The Gunslinger posted:

This is the second time they've had that bug, the only workaround with it before was uninstalling both then installing the drivers first, then GeForce Experience. Hopefully that works again this time.

Okay I tried just uninstalling GF Experience (from the control panel), and then reinstalling from the standalone download, and that seems to have worked.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I have installed my MSI 970 and it is working great but my hard drive seems to be a lot more active than is used to be with my old card. For the first 90 minutes after I installed my card my HDD was making such a racket that I could feel the vibrations through my desk but then it settled down. It is the same activity/noise you would hear when defragging (thrashing the common term?). I checked out the system information on the nVidia control panel and it says that I have 7.9GB of available graphics memory and 3.8GB of shared system memory. Since my system only has 8GB of memory is there an issue where it is trying to to use the HDD for memory? My previous 2GB did not have this issue.

Great card otherwise, I can't hear the cards fans over my case fans and has been running my games much faster than my dear old 6970.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Is Shadowplay on? If you let it record your desktop, it'll do that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Foxhound posted:

There is a problem where the clock occasionally locks itself to 540MHz and I can't seem to bring it up except for with a restart. Is this a common problem?
I had that happen when I pushed the card too far. Have you increased the voltage at all to see if it fixes it?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

I had that happen when I pushed the card too far. Have you increased the voltage at all to see if it fixes it?

No I haven't tried to fiddle with the Voltage. Will keep the clock at +100 instead of +160 for a while to see if it keeps coming back.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Foxhound posted:

Got a MSI 970 today because I felt like not being 4 years behind on the hardware curve for once. Having a ball with it and played around a bit with the clocks.

Yeah I've had that happen on my 770. It hasn't been a problem for the last few months though, I think it stopped after I reinstalled my drivers for a separate issue.

I don't think it has to do with pushing your card too far/low voltage, as it happened to me randomly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Heh, bought Borderlands 2 GOTY and noticed the game doesn't run that well! Is it because of the physx effects or does the game really like fast cpu's? These tests seem to imply both, basically:

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page5.html
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-08/intel-core-i7-5820k-5960x-haswell-e-test/5/#diagramm-borderlands-2-1920-x-1080

I guess I need to start looking at that 4790K upgrade.. or just try to wait till the broadwell. It's supposed to come this year still.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Mobile and embedded BGA Broadwell is this year. LGA Broadwell isn't until early 2015.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Just verifying, for the MSI 970 I'm supposed to use both the 6 pin and 8 pin power slots, right?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

everythingWasBees posted:

Just verifying, for the MSI 970 I'm supposed to use both the 6 pin and 8 pin power slots, right?

Yup

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ihmemies posted:

Heh, bought Borderlands 2 GOTY and noticed the game doesn't run that well! Is it because of the physx effects or does the game really like fast cpu's? These tests seem to imply both, basically:

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-08/intel-core-i7-5820k-5960x-haswell-e-test/5/#diagramm-borderlands-2-1920-x-1080

I guess I need to start looking at that 4790K upgrade.. or just try to wait till the broadwell. It's supposed to come this year still.

Without knowing anything about your current system I'll flip a coin and suggest it's your CPU.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Foxhound posted:

I got this with the same card, think it was because I pushed it too hard (I forgot you have to divide memory clock by 2.) Eitherway has yet to happen outside of dicking around

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Heads up folks, Directron has a 10% deal going this weekend, and they have a smattering of Maxwell cards in stock. I grabbed a reference 980, w/2 day shipping for less than MSRP.

Coupon WEEKEND10OFF

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Deuce posted:

Without knowing anything about your current system I'll flip a coin and suggest it's your CPU.

Gtx 970 with 1450 boost / 1560 memory and 3,4GHz i7 920. It's my cpu :( Only 6 years old and already I must upgrade.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ihmemies posted:

Gtx 970 with 1450 boost / 1560 memory and 3,4GHz i7 920. It's my cpu :( Only 6 years old and already I must upgrade.

You sure about that? Borderlands 2 is not a hard game to run. That should make it plenty smooth. Could be a driver issue or a PhysX issue or ________, but the CPU ought to be able to handle it, I would think. What kind of PCI-e are you feeding it? At least 2.0, 8x? If so there really shouldn't be a graphics issue. It's just there really shouldn't be a CPU issue, either. Great OC on an already pretty salty processor; I guess it has mediocre single-threaded performance compared to modern ones but not outright BAD by any stretch.

Weird.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

Borderlands 2 is kinda weird with PhysX in Medium or High.

I had a Geforce 570. Nvidia experience kept suggesting to put PhysX on high, so I did. Framerate would dip from 60 to 40 or so if there were a lot of physics objects on screen. With PhysX on low I would get a solid 60.

Maybe thats 5 series specific or some other issue but try turning PhysX to Low and see if that fixes the problem.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Ihmemies posted:

Heh, bought Borderlands 2 GOTY and noticed the game doesn't run that well! Is it because of the physx effects or does the game really like fast cpu's?

I'm running an old overclocked 2500K/580GTX system and it flies right along with all settings maxed - what GPU/CPU are you running?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So at what framerate should you be capping games with a 60hz monitor?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

60fps

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Like was already said, 60fps. You go higher than that you get tearing, which I personally don't mind (vs. perceived mouse lag). Whatever you have for monitor refresh rate is where you want your FPS to be at.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unless you have prerendered frames/flip queue set to 1, locking yourself to 60 fps will induce some serious input lag. Of course, you should be forcing that poo poo off because input latency is loving sacred and matters far more than framerate.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

K8.0 posted:

Unless you have prerendered frames/flip queue set to 1, locking yourself to 60 fps will induce some serious input lag. Of course, you should be forcing that poo poo off because input latency is loving sacred and matters far more than framerate.

it doesn't do that at all, try it

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

quote:

Borderlands 2

BL2 isn't a game anyone should be using to justify an upgrade - it performs wildly inconsistently across all kinds of setups and scenarios, with some people reporting buttery smoothness and others getting mild to massive FPS drops. Personally, I've seen my FPS tank just from looking at portions of certain maps from the wrong angles, both on my previous i7 2600-GTX680 and current i7 3770k-GTX780Ti rig. Something just isn't right with this game.

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

I bought an amd 7850 today. Needed an upgrade from my old 5770. It costed under 100 usd; did I make a good choice or should I return it and get something better? Budget is around 150.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zarcnest posted:

I bought an amd 7850 today. Needed an upgrade from my old 5770. It costed under 100 usd; did I make a good choice or should I return it and get something better? Budget is around 150.

Look for an R7 265 (Newegg has the XFX for $130 after rebate plus the 'silver' game card voucher - the card has a lifetime warranty) or spend a little more (~$30) for a R9 270X, which comes with the 'gold' voucher for three games. The XFX one is $160 after rebate and also comes with a lifetime warranty.

XFX R7 265: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150719
XFX R9 270X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150686

Comparison between the two: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270X-vs-Radeon-R7-265

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 28, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Look for an R7 265 (Newegg has the XFX for $130 after rebate plus the 'silver' game card voucher - the card has a lifetime warranty) or spend a little more (~$30) for a R9 270X, which comes with the 'gold' voucher for three games.

The R7 265 is literally just a 7850 with higher clock. Why would he pay $30+ for that?

e: I guess it has the game card thing, but still.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hace posted:

The R7 265 is literally just a 7850 with higher clock. Why would he pay $30+ for that?

e: I guess it has the game card thing, but still.

The case I'm making is he should put out a little more and get the 270X, using the voucher and rebate to get him under $150. I'm also assuming he paid ~$150 for the 7850 at a local B&M, so there's no reason he shouldn't get the 265 if he really needs to make that $150 ceiling.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 28, 2014

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ihmemies posted:

I get 47 fps in 5860x1080 (3 screen) with a reference 7950 on stock and a 3570k @4.2ghz. I'm using ultra settings, no AA.

At 1080p I get 90-120 fps on the same settings. I had horrid performance when I hadn't updated my drivers though, so that could be a factor.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm also assuming he paid ~$150 for the 7850 at a local B&M, so there's no reason he shouldn't get the 265 if he really needs to make that $150 ceiling.

Zarcnest posted:

I bought an amd 7850 today. Needed an upgrade from my old 5770. It costed under 100 usd;

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Would an upgrade to a 970 from a 660 make sense for single monitor 1080 gaming, or is it overkill? CPU is a 4570, if that makes a difference. Also, may upgrade to single 1440 screen, but not just yet.

jototo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 28, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you plan to change up to a 1440p monitor, I'd say it's worth it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If you go for the 1440 then for sure. Maybe nvidia will make a 960 sometime soon that would be better for 1080p but who knows.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Just like to reiterate real quickly that a 970 is a worthwhile upgrade for anything less powerful than a GTX 780 with a hell of an overclock. It routinely leaves the 780Ti in the dust in, oh, just about everything, and the price is slammin' :) 1080p is getting kinda complex again thanks to the new console generation; I think a 970 would be a great card for maxing 1080p in most games or getting it damned close in the most demanding titles. For higher resolutions, with all the bullshit going on with some newer games and their goofy memory requirements, it might actually ~kinda be worth waiting to see if some higher memory models come out provided you actually already have a powerful card.

If you're in pressing need of a new graphics card and you don't currently own an R9-290/R9-290X or a 780/780Ti/some flavor of Titan, the GTX 970 is an unbelievable card for the launch price point. Like, daaaaamn.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God damnit ASUS, just let me give you my money for a 970 already :argh: