Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kavak posted:

What's so backwards about the one plotline?
She finds her homosexual thoughts unacceptable, quashes them and eventually pushes them away without confronting the person she loves directly, rather it's revealed to her through your typical heard-it-around-the-corner shojo plot device and then so far has been summarily swept under the rug ever since

Like it flip-flops between almost having something to say about it, takes one step forward and then three steps back a few times.

Also her dad is your typical anime gag drag queen in a wig, dress, and with extremely obvious stubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

She finds her homosexual thoughts unacceptable, quashes them and eventually pushes them away without confronting the person she loves directly, rather it's revealed to her through your typical heard-it-around-the-corner shojo plot device and then so far has been summarily swept under the rug ever since

eh isn't that kind of unfair to say before the manga's actually done? Like her reaction to it is realistic enough for a teenager, and the plotline is almost certainly not done yet.

i dunno, I can't imagine it would have a subplot about someone realizing they're gay only to go, nope, don't be gay but perhaps I am just too charitable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you read it? It really sounded to me like they swept it under the rug. But hey, if it turns out to be otherwise, I'll be glad to be disappointed. That her dad's almost literally this:

doesn't give me much hope though

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Did you read it? It really sounded to me like they swept it under the rug. But hey, if it turns out to be otherwise, I'll be glad to be disappointed. That her dad's almost literally this:

doesn't give me much hope though

Japan is sorta comfortable with gay people being hilariously camp gay, not so much "We're the same as you and deserve respect" gay.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Japan is sorta comfortable with gay people being hilariously camp gay, not so much "We're the same as you and deserve respect" gay.

Yeah, they're not actually opposed to the idea, but tend to look at it like a joke. If you start actually trying to push it as something serious, they tend to take an attitude of not wanting to talk about it publicly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Truthism: everyone in this series is cute + dumb

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

You posted the wrong image, here's the one I'm sure you meant to use:

(Context: The school principal is a 1000 year old demon who uses her magical powers to play pranks on teenagers. She's also a sugar addict and someone has just stolen her secret stash of candy from the teacher's lounge.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Any page is good because every page is good.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What the hell issue are you even quoting I read them all and none of them are that one.
I guess batoto is not up to date but why does kissmanga have 41 but not 40.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Krinkle posted:

What the hell issue are you even quoting I read them all and none of them are that one.
I guess batoto is not up to date but why does kissmanga have 41 but not 40.

Kiss does have 40 it's just out of order, as usual.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend anyone read this series since it's by-the-numbers cliche shonen nonsense(says seinen but I've not seen anything to really warrant that), but I've made a collage of most of the absurd, sometimes Ren and Stimpy-esque faces the human characters make on a regular basis from a little over a dozen chapters in. At this point I'm basically reading it to see what normally-uguu characters make the weirdest faces. If you want to read it, I won't stop you, it's Nejimaki Kagyu

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend anyone read this series since it's by-the-numbers cliche shonen nonsense(says seinen but I've not seen anything to really warrant that), but I've made a collage of most of the absurd, sometimes Ren and Stimpy-esque faces the human characters make on a regular basis from a little over a dozen chapters in. At this point I'm basically reading it to see what normally-uguu characters make the weirdest faces. If you want to read it, I won't stop you, it's Nejimaki Kagyu

I'm actually reading this out of morbid fascination and because there's genuine parts I liked, such as the art and the friendships Kagyuu was able to develop with her "rivals." The fact that fights among girls over their teacher is eye roll worthy, but somehow it ends in adorable and loyal friendships instead of continuing to fight over a guy.

And then then there's the creepy chairman/principal guy and I worry again. :(

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

I'm actually reading this out of morbid fascination and because there's genuine parts I liked, such as the art and the friendships Kagyuu was able to develop with her "rivals." The fact that fights among girls over their teacher is eye roll worthy, but somehow it ends in adorable and loyal friendships instead of continuing to fight over a guy.

And then then there's the creepy chairman/principal guy and I worry again. :(

Yeah, I'd find it to be decent but not exceptional just as a normal series, but the faces really just turn it on its head and make it amazing.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
A couple neat looking manga were put up on Crunchyroll recently:

The Legend of Onikirimaru

Historical one-shots with lots of demons, blood and body horror-type stuff.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

At first I thought this was going to be a crappy harem comedy, but it seems like it's more of a goofy comedy/straight romance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hey, Crunchyroll also picked up Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, the whole thing! Go read it if you haven't, it's a slow start but overall a great series!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh hey, Crunchyroll also picked up Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, the whole thing! Go read it if you haven't, it's a slow start but overall a great series!

Whoa, wait, what, where? I don't see anything on their site or ANN or anything.
Because that is awesome news.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That's really cool! I can't find it anywhere on their site, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's visible on their app, but not the website. Weird! All 65 chapters available it looks like.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Captain Invictus posted:

It's visible on their app, but not the website. Weird! All 65 chapters available it looks like.

That's what I see too.

Maybe they uploaded it early by accident or have a database error that no one noticed. My experience with CR manga in general has been that things just suddenly show up.

Edit: you can guess the url pretty easily, though. It's here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/hoshi-no-samidare-the-lucifer-and-biscuit-hammer/volumes

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 28, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, yeah i bet it's some sort of leak. Good job finding it Captain!

I can't find it on my ipad app (yet) maybe I shouldn't have accepted that update! but that's pretty drat cool, hopefully they'll announce it for real soon.

edit:
aag, so excited.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 28, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This reminded me to pre-order the books from Amazon. I tried to pre-order them from gomanga, but... their website is garbage.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Randallteal posted:

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

At first I thought this was going to be a crappy harem comedy, but it seems like it's more of a goofy comedy/straight romance.

An important thing to note about this manga is that it's hella bad at selling itself. All the blurbs I've seen for it have talked about how the main character is rooming with a guy who seems to be a pedophile.

Which he isn't; Shiro is a masochist but is explicitly not into kids at all. He's deliberately creepy, but not that kind of creepy. He's also kind of an idiot, but that's basically a universal trait for characters in this manga.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Houseki no Kuni

A surrealistic story about beings made of gems living on an Earth broken into six pieces by meteors.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Welp Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer is officially up on crunchyroll now. :toot:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-868459/manga-announcements-new-catalog-titles

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Linnaeus posted:

Houseki no Kuni

A surrealistic story about beings made of gems living on an Earth broken into six pieces by meteors.

This was an amazing read. The kind of unusual thing I love most. It really isn't like most manga in its setting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The New Kurosawa is a sequel to "The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa". I didn't even know that the author was still alive.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

The New Kurosawa is a sequel to "The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa". I didn't even know that the author was still alive.

I was wondering how the sequel was going to work, I'm glad to see it didn't disappoint.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
UQ Holder!, another lighthearted harem romp by Ken Akamatsu.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was wondering how the sequel was going to work, I'm glad to see it didn't disappoint.
Wait does the main character die at the end? I never got around to reading it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Angel-Chan & Demon-Kun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was reading that Shield Hero series someone posted up thread a bit and was liking it a lot more than the usual trapped in a game types, and then a character went from a cute little raccoon girl to a busty adult raccoon lady literally in between chapters. I figured that there had been some major time passage in between, but no, not much had gone on. Then they finally explained it.

God drat it Japan :negative:

I wonder if there was some editor meddling to have some kind of sexy lady sidekick in the series to draw more readers.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
At least the next 'sidekick' is a giant bird!

Nothing creepy about this, just some :3: big fat chocobo.

drat IT ALL

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well, even if we all know he'll end up with her in the end it's nice that he refused to see her as an adult at first at least.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Captain Invictus posted:

I was reading that Shield Hero series someone posted up thread a bit and was liking it a lot more than the usual trapped in a game types, and then a character went from a cute little raccoon girl to a busty adult raccoon lady literally in between chapters. I figured that there had been some major time passage in between, but no, not much had gone on. Then they finally explained it.

I wonder if there was some editor meddling to have some kind of sexy lady sidekick in the series to draw more readers.

I wanted to like it.
I really wanted to.

It gets properly emotional, but I have a horrible feeling that it well get more fanservicey as it goes along.
Beyond that it's a genuinely interesting series.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wanted to like it.
I really wanted to.

It gets properly emotional, but I have a horrible feeling that it well get more fanservicey as it goes along.
Beyond that it's a genuinely interesting series.

Maybe it'll be like Type-MOON, where once he gets successful enough the author can drop the creepiness/fanservice and still sell based on actual quality.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Let's not forget that the whole slave thing continues for [stupid reasons], so the author has a boner for that as well.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Blazing Transfer Student

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

As stupid as it is, I still think it's better than having her remain a kid and have romance/fanservice that way.

This series is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, and I hear that the source novels get to some weird and interesting places.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bakanogami posted:

As stupid as it is, I still think it's better than having her remain a kid and have romance/fanservice that way.

This series is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, and I hear that the source novels get to some weird and interesting places.

It wasnt fanservicey at all when she was a kid. Least I dont think so.
He was adamant to see her as a little kid/sister.

And I liked that dynamic. A Non-creepy/cliche sibling dynamic in a manga? Jesus christ sign me up.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It wasnt fanservicey at all when she was a kid. Least I dont think so.
He was adamant to see her as a little kid/sister.

And I liked that dynamic. A Non-creepy/cliche sibling dynamic in a manga? Jesus christ sign me up.

I'm waiting to see where they go with it but they still haven't come out with the next chapter after two weeks.

• Locked thread