Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

pentyne posted:

He started out being very dry, and went into quite an amusing rant about how a word is a thing and letters are arbitrary, and words are made up of lines that are arbitrarily groups as letters, then Sean made a crack about David’s books not selling, and he just kind of smiled and completely stopped.

Near the end of the show was when he “snapped”. The guest said she hoped everyone would have positive thoughts about her and Sean winning, and then David went

“Imagine if there is power in positive thinking, and you are seriously asking, in this troubled world, for people to focus that energy on you solving a loving anagram.” in a fairly aggressive tone.

And it wasn’t done in a funny way, it was more like he had reached his limit and just didn’t even bother pretending he enjoyed the game anymore.
There were sometimes moments like this on 10 O'Clock live, when his disdain kind of crossed over from shtick into a genuine bile. Like at points it was almost as if he was exasperated at the fact that they were pointing out how hosed the entire world is, and everyone was just laughing*.

I guess it's just the nature of his act that occasionally it will stray into uncomfortable territory.

* insert Pagliacci / Rorschach citation here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

All this talk of David Mitchell "snapping" is retarded. It's an act. He's playing the same shtick he has always played. Maybe it is a testament to his comedic talent that people genuinely think they are peering through the performance to the tortured soul within.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

Yay!!! Dunno if they're new episodes or not, but World's Craziest Fools is back on BBC Three on Saturday night! :dance:

"Remember: they saw that two heads are better than one, but they also say that too many cooks spoil the broth. So you know what? Do it your way. That's cool too. So looooong suckas!" *skips away*

That's staying with me forever.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't think David Mitchell has any resentment at doing panel shows, it's just his act.

I was more disturbed the fact he was wearing short sleeves.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't know, I tuned in to a random WILTY and he didn't seem to be taking some of the digs at being posh so well. Might have just been an off-day, or it looked bad in the edit though.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Victoria Coren comes home to find David Mitchell drinking and watching Peep Show DVD's every night, according to twitter anyway.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Szmitten posted:

"Remember: they saw that two heads are better than one, but they also say that too many cooks spoil the broth. So you know what? Do it your way. That's cool too. So looooong suckas!" *skips away*

That's staying with me forever.

Every morning when I can finally exit the M3 tailback/carpark (ie the entire length of the M3 from Jnc 14 up through Basingstoke), I sail along the slipway, shouting, 'So long, suckas!' in my best Mr T voice.

I am a haggish, middle aged, white woman, but still.

His school-teacher persona is awesome.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pet the dog Dave. Why wont you pet the dog?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I want Mr T to commentate my life. Just kinda following me around, being Mr T.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

I think you guys are looking into it too much, I enjoyed him on 8 out of 10

Yeah same here

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

justcola posted:

Victoria Coren comes home to find David Mitchell drinking and watching Peep Show DVD's every night, according to twitter anyway.

Hope this is true

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

justcola posted:

Didn't he also remain in a flatshare well after he became successful, with a broken door handle out of his room?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This is starting to make me think that Peep Show is a documentary about Mitchell and Webb post-graduation, and Mitchell is simply relieving his memories when he watches episodes of it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

speaking of which, a final series of Peep Show would be nice. before they all get too old to play the parts.

we don't need another Spaced series 3 situation

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Cerv posted:

speaking of which, a final series of Peep Show would be nice. before they all get too old to play the parts.

I actually like the idea of watching Mark and Jeremy grow into horrible old men together. Maybe it is because I only watched the series from the start a couple of years ago but it really struck me how unique a thing it is to watch the characters develop over a decade. I think they could get a couple of really good series if they showed Mark and Jeremy having their midlife crises. I think Mark is overdue for a complete mental implosion, really.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Last of the Summer Peeps.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Cerv posted:

But there never was a Spaced Series 3?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There will be a final series of Peep Show filmed next year; Robert Webb confirmed it sometime around May.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The BBC are showing ads for the Apprentice :dance: No solid date yet, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

pressedbunny posted:

There will be a final series of Peep Show filmed next year; Robert Webb confirmed it sometime around May.

There's actually an entire series 9 already in the can. IIRC, they're gonna do 10, then call it quits.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Lavatein posted:

I saw this on the telly once. They showed the audience filling in these papers while Derren was giving instructions over the PA system. I can't remember exactly what he was talking about, but he said something along the lines of "Write down your favorite holiday destination, somewhere you'd like McFly to", and of course people were too busy thinking/writing to notice that he hadn't said "to fly to". Presumably he used loads of other subliminal cues to ensure lots of people had McFly on their minds.

Yes and no.
He want's you to think that is how he did it, but that is not how he did it. He does this a lot - gives an explanation that seems plausible that makes you think he has super mental powers, but in reality it was normal stage magic.

Spoliered in case you don't want a bit of the magic removed. From the Enigma stage show
Do you think he is that confident in his "abilities" that he can get a enough people to write McFly, guarantee that a McFly paper is picked such that the whole end sequence of the show revolves around McFly singing a pre recorded moose and goose and apple juice song about everything that has just happened for the whole evening. Every time.

I saw it live and then on DVD. Everything related to the Mcfly song played out identically each time (barring the random factor like the people pulled from the audience).

No, it doesn't matter what the audience write, the paper given to the audience member will always say McFly on it, Derren will "read the mind" of the person to get the other 2 items, then pretend to not know who Mcfly is.

As I said I love his stuff, but some of it doesn't hold up very well to logical thinking and is best not watched more than once as that is when the cracks start to appear :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

There's actually an entire series 9 already in the can. IIRC, they're gonna do 10, then call it quits.

Here's hoping they still work as a team. Ambassadors was pretty great, but it was pitched as a comedy and was really, really dark for that and Mitchell mentioned it was being retooled as a drama.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I want Mr T to commentate my life. Just kinda following me around, being Mr T.

I know someone who has Brian Blessed shouting at her from her satnav; surely Mr T has tapped into this market.

I would like him to stand beside me when I lecture or meet with colleagues, personally.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

onoflalks posted:

God finally.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Absolutely loving the insane over-analysis of panel shows that would even make the ridiculous nerds over at Cook'd and Bombed shake their heads itt, guys :)

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Has anyone been watching Release the Hounds? It's hilarious. I changed the channel to see a guy getting chased by a clown with a chainsaw screaming "SUFFER YOUR FATE!" who the gently caress thought this programme up?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I saw it on a billboard a month ago and apparently I've been MISSING OUT.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

CherryCat posted:

Has anyone been watching Release the Hounds? It's hilarious. I changed the channel to see a guy getting chased by a clown with a chainsaw screaming "SUFFER YOUR FATE!" who the gently caress thought this programme up?

okay yeah need to see this

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

onoflalks posted:

Our Margaret was on Countdown today :allears: I wonder what happened with the timing? Dragon's Den was all wackity rear end this year too. There were two series of it and I didn't even know the second one was running until it was almost over.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Stars of the Black Mirror Christmas Special got announced today. Jon Hamm, Rafe Spall, and Oona Chaplin. Hamm apparently plays the character who ties the three different stories together.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mr Beens posted:

Yes and no.
He want's you to think that is how he did it, but that is not how he did it. He does this a lot - gives an explanation that seems plausible that makes you think he has super mental powers, but in reality it was normal stage magic.
This is correct. If you read his book (which I dont recommend at all because it gives you no actual how its done cool bits) he basically just describes how he took his old stage magician acts and added the spooky mentalist aura to it all to make it cooler. Even his book is meta/meta/meta bollocks simalar to the 'how i did it' end bits on his shows. Go and google basic illusions and you have half of it.

He is good though obviously, man makes a fortune I just hate the not knowing part of magic tricks, annoys me.

e: btw I called the winner of 'celebrity' big brother 2 weeks in and am pleased to rub it in the face of you know who you are

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Seaside Loafer posted:

e: btw I called the winner of 'celebrity' big brother 2 weeks in and am pleased to rub it in the face of you know who you are

As one of the most respected reality tv show predictors in this thread I looked back to see if I could welcome you to the reality tv show predictors club and cant see a single mention of the show from you.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The Big Taff Man posted:

As one of the most respected reality tv show predictors in this thread I looked back to see if I could welcome you to the reality tv show predictors club and cant see a single mention of the show from you.
It was a real life friend and lurker not you (actually I got her an account years ago but she never posted, I want my 10 bux back)

I feel I belong in this group, it was easy for me. Perhaps its a special talent that could be refined under the tuition of more experienced yet less talented predictors like yourself. Suggest the next game and I will defeat you. Unless you pick something that has someone from made in chelsea on it or i'll be to busy chucking the tv out of the window.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Well given that I have a fantastic record in the Apprentice that could be unfair to you.

Also my pick for Bake off looks set to continue my great record (it was Luis)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Buzzcocks is back, and it is good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CherryCat posted:

I really love the concept of the challenges, it feels like a sort of hosed-up horror movie Crystal Maze mashup, but then you just get to see a guy sprinting from some dogs 3 times an episode. If they had a few different events to stop it being so repetitive it'd be better, make it more of an obstacle course rather than just a straight-up run.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Lugaloco posted:

But there never was a Spaced Series 3?

and that's exactly the situtation that should be avoided with Peep Show! series promised but delayed, and never happens as the people involved all move on.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Cerv posted:

and that's exactly the situtation that should be avoided with Peep Show! series promised but delayed, and never happens as the people involved all move on.

Ah, I thought you meant something else. Never knew they even planned for a third series of Spaced, thought it wrapped up very well after the second.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"despite what certain national newspapers might have said, series 2 is not the last series of Spaced. There will be a third series of Spaced - we just don't know when."

but yeah, it does wrap up pretty well so it's not like we've been left with unresolved cliffhanger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

@Lord_Sugar

BREAKING: IT’S BACK! The Apprentice series 10 starts Tue 14 Oct episode1 & Wed 15 Oct episode2, then every Wednesday thereafter, 9pm @BBCOne

quote:

@Lord_Sugar

To get you ready for the new series of Apprentice, on Mon 13 Oct 10.35pm BBC1 there’s a 10-year special with classic moments and characters.