Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Lima posted:

There's OpenXcom which also includes a ton of QoL improvements.
Ta, will try.

... Tried, blimey it works! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I was playing on Normal. I know Normal cheats on your behalf a bit in combat, but what about on the Geoscape? If it's too much I'll consider switching to Classic, but... :ohdear:

Also new question, what can I sell on the Grey Market, generally, at least early on? I've never been sure so I've only sold stuff that explicitly says it has no use, like damaged UFO parts.

Thanks for the advice :)

You don't start at 0 panic on classic and I think the penalties for alien activity is harsher.
Alien bodies are used to manufacture some things and sometimes countries request them, but if you've got a bunch piling up, they're safe to sell.
Don't sell alloys, weapon fragments or elerium. You'll need those!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Noted, thanks.

I don't suppose there's any easy way to tell who got a kill in a multiple-overwatch-shot situation, is there? I keep restarting the first mission because not all 4 get promotions and the OCD sperglord in me yells "restaaaaaaaart" :v:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dervyn posted:

LW: So I took the earlier advice not to expand satellite coverage to more than 2 continents, but now while converting to laser cannons a lot of large UFOs are appearing. I've just flat out avoiding to intercept them at them moment, but not sure how to proceed from here. Should I focus on target and dodge boosts or is there any critical research I need to take on the large classes?

Basically you want the supercapacitor upgrade and firestorms before it makes sense to engage large UFOs. Fortunately, there isn't really a compelling reason to engage them, they usually are just carrying abduction/terror missions or are planning to land.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ciaphas posted:

Noted, thanks.

I don't suppose there's any easy way to tell who got a kill in a multiple-overwatch-shot situation, is there? I keep restarting the first mission because not all 4 get promotions and the OCD sperglord in me yells "restaaaaaaaart" :v:

In the first mission you could probably stand to boot underneath and just kill the sectoids with superior positioning and tactics. That's a little less random than hoping under of four overreach shots kills a badguy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Strobe posted:

In the first mission you could probably stand to boot underneath and just kill the sectoids with superior positioning and tactics. That's a little less random than hoping under of four overreach shots kills a badguy.

It's more that when I'm crawling forward and no one's present so I put all my guys in overwatch (there a key to do that for everyone and end the turn like Beagle does btw?), then they patrol in and get slaughtered :saddowns:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's a new keybind in Long War fyi.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Listen, India...

About this terror mission. You're already at ~98% panic, it doesn't seem likely I'm going to hang onto you past the end of this month no matter what happens, and quite frankly you're more valuable as an alien base raid than you are as a contributor of $45/month to the XCOM project. Furthermore, a satellite will be available in five days that I can use to retake your nation at a lower panic level than you're currently at.

So, while I have plenty of troops available, I regret to inform you that XCOM will not be responding to your request for assistance. Have a nice day.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I was playing on Normal. I know Normal cheats on your behalf a bit in combat, but what about on the Geoscape? If it's too much I'll consider switching to Classic, but... :ohdear:

Also new question, what can I sell on the Grey Market, generally, at least early on? I've never been sure so I've only sold stuff that explicitly says it has no use, like damaged UFO parts.

Thanks for the advice :)

You sell corpses pretty liberally, along with your first few UFO power sources and computers. Maybe a handful of alloys or elerium if you really need the money, like to buy laser rifles before the first terror mission.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Deuce posted:

I regret to inform you that XCOM will not be responding to your request for assistance. Have a nice day.

I did the same thing to France. Viva La Resistance.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
(LW) Can someone explain to me the advantage of UFO tracking? If I read the .ini correctly, it doubles the chance for an interceptor to detect a UFO on its own... from 4% to 8%? Oh, and I can detect suborbital satellite hunters anywhere in the world. Because what I really, really wanted was the ability to detect satellite hunter UFOs over nations that don't have satellites.

What am I missing?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Deuce posted:

(LW) Can someone explain to me the advantage of UFO tracking? If I read the .ini correctly, it doubles the chance for an interceptor to detect a UFO on its own... from 4% to 8%? Oh, and I can detect suborbital satellite hunters anywhere in the world. Because what I really, really wanted was the ability to detect satellite hunter UFOs over nations that don't have satellites.

What am I missing?

I guess the latter might be useful if you only have part of a continent covered?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Evil Thing posted:

I guess the latter might be useful if you only have part of a continent covered?

What benefit would there be to engaging a fighter over a nation without a satellite? It doesn't have anything to shoot down. Extra cash if you have the intereceptors to spare, I guess, but in that case you should be expanding satellite/interceptor coverage!

edit: *sigh*

Rooftop construction map for EXALT data recovery. EXALT spawns inside the capture area. THE. WORST. MAPS.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 28, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deuce posted:

What benefit would there be to engaging a fighter over a nation without a satellite? It doesn't have anything to shoot down. Extra cash if you have the intereceptors to spare, I guess, but in that case you should be expanding satellite/interceptor coverage!
Maybe not engaging fighters, but if you're using other continents to store repairing fighters, you might get some benefit to shooting down bombing runs to prevent panic, or to shoot down/stop research missions.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the replies regarding air war strategy. Don't mind keeping my head down, but just unsure until what.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'm starting a Long War campaign, and I don't seem to be able to collect MELD during the level - is it only collected at the end of the mission, or is this some kind of bug?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is it a bad idea to do research without a research credit? I'm only just getting to laser weapons on the 2nd of April, and I don't have anything captured at all yet (mostly 'cos I forgot to build alien containment :saddowns:)

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is it a bad idea to do research without a research credit? I'm only just getting to laser weapons on the 2nd of April, and I don't have anything captured at all yet (mostly 'cos I forgot to build alien containment :saddowns:)

No, it's fine. In fact, it's usually better to go for at least basic lasers without capturing a Sectoid first.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Makeout Patrol posted:

I'm starting a Long War campaign, and I don't seem to be able to collect MELD during the level - is it only collected at the end of the mission, or is this some kind of bug?

Sounds like a bug. Maybe do a clean reinstall?

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I was curious about this. While playing on normal mode I very rarely use the credits until the end.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Well I defeated the alien menace!

The only real casualty was my scout, "Claymore" Jensen, who I accidentally ran behind the evil alien overlord and perished in the grim electric fog of death. :downsgun:

I used my psionic assaults to panic the mutons and everyone else tanked the round like pros to finish megamind on the second turn. Well, aside from the four-or-so national heroes who were too busy bleeding their guts out to be of use.

Nevertheless, we persevered and rather fittingly my volunteer, an infantry by the name of "SOCKS", took the final shot. I was then greeted with the rather odd cut scene of her shouting for her fellow troops to flee, but then it cut to the doorway with nobody running away, just the shiv kinda chilling out ontop of the body of my rocketmans bleeding remains. Which, as a sidenote, I regard as his own goddamn karma for only being able to move his pudgy rear end SIX tiles with sprint on the final mission. How he had survived long enough to be my highest ranking rocketeer and thus end up on the final mission I still haven't figured out. Perhaps he was just constantly lagging behind out of the range of alien shots, then picking them off with his high-aim laser carbine.

Anyway then there was a cool fireworks show and a bunch of soldiers got a crazy new kinda kinda ptsd. Presumably the mec guys all steal their suits and run off to be robot cowboys with flamethrowers in the desert or something.

Anyway it was all kinda underwhelming. I look forward to v14 though, however in thinking as my next challenge I'm going to install open xcom and try to do what I always thought was impossible for me. But after long war, I think I can handle anything. A++ would get far too emotionally attached to again.

Also the real true hero of my campaign was Beagle. I mentioned earlier that Beagle was my chief interceptor pilot and that when I got my first Firestorm he assumed direct control of it. Well naturally I had him be the first line of defense for my XCOM Asia. Of the 120-ish alien craft shot down over my game, beagle shot down 30+ of them alone. That's roughly a quarter of the alien craft, shot down by one man.

Thank you Beagle, I'll be sure to name a rookie after you when I travel to 1994 to take on the true alien threat. :australia:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Makeout Patrol posted:

Save and reload, try again. Also, make sure it's not expired meld, too.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
How effective are using SHIVs, MECs, and Gene Mods? I'm doing a Normal Difficulty playthrough and I haven't touched any of those yet but I'm still doing pretty darn swell.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Eggie posted:

How effective are using SHIVs, MECs, and Gene Mods? I'm doing a Normal Difficulty playthrough and I haven't touched any of those yet but I'm still doing pretty darn swell.

In Long War:
SHIVs are insanely, insanely useful in the early game thanks to their low cost, lack of fatigue mechanic, and complete immunity to basic psionics. They will likely be much faster, stronger, and tougher than your basic low-level troops, and can be fielded more easily. Their utility rapidly drops off going into the mid and late game, but they remain at least somewhat useful as fast, cheap, and most of all, expendable scouting units.
MECs are insane gods of death. They take an absolute ton of resources to field effectively, but are generally worth it.
Gene mods I find very underwhelming - the benefits they give have never really impressed me and meld is more important than ever in Long War. I am unable to justify spending any on the minimal gains gene mods give you.

In vanilla:
SHIVs are awesome. In addition to being fast, cheap, and tough, their weapons are upgraded via foundry projects rather than purchased - meaning once you buy the foundry project for any given SHIV weapon tier, ALL shivs get that weapon instantly, for free. The sentinel module also gives them incredible longevity, allowing them to regenerate all but the worst of hits right there in the field and substantially increasing their close-up firepower. True, they don't get all the cool class abilities conventional troops do, but they also tend not to need them - a faceful of heavy weapons resolves most problems quite satisfactorily. SHIVs aren't necessary by any means, but they are powerful if you invest in them.
MECs are still awesome, but campaigns aren't honestly that long in vanilla, and they're still a huge resource investment. Worth it? Probably, but be prepared to sink some time and effort into fielding them. Still, you probably owe it to yourself: you haven't lived until you've ordered a giant robot-man to rocket punch an alien through a wall.
Gene mods vary from completely useless to hilariously broken. Mimetic skin trivializes most encounters.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 29, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man gently caress lategame LW Thin Men. Lightning reflexes, low profile, squadsight and loving acid all over the goddamn place.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In vanilla Enemy Within, you can basically beat the game with pure-SHIV teams. You just need a Volunteer, and even then you can basically beat the last mission with 5 SHIVs and some rookie dork with a pistol cowering behind them.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Man gently caress lategame LW Thin Men. Lightning reflexes, low profile, squadsight and loving acid all over the goddamn place.

I just got hosed over by a heavy floater with shredder ammo. First time I've seen this.

My newest Pathfinder level 2 mec got caught in the open and brought down to 4 hit points in one turn. Back to the loving hospital bed for a month (she became a mec in the first place because of a 30+ day stint).

Needless to say, I approached the next group of floaters cautiously.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

In vanilla Enemy Within, you can basically beat the game with pure-SHIV teams. You just need a Volunteer, and even then you can basically beat the last mission with 5 SHIVs and some rookie dork with a pistol cowering behind them.

RIP Heat ammo applying to Rift, and pre EW Sectopds lacking 'reduce all damage by half'. My first win on X-Com was Five SHIV and a Heavy Volunteer. Shivs made it to the end though enemy psi rift one shot a few of them (One of those lost had killed one of every single alien type this mission!), since robots while immune to mind control, apparently take extra damage from physical psychic powers :downs:

Lightning 1 made the victory shot, at 69% hit chance. Because robots can be very juvenile.

While not a hover shiv, I can't look at Alloy Shivs without noticing they have a frowny face.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Who's the Xcom LP'er who sounds like Xerxes from 300?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Section Z posted:

RIP Heat ammo applying to Rift, and pre EW Sectopds lacking 'reduce all damage by half'. My first win on X-Com was Five SHIV and a Heavy Volunteer.

Do you still get an emotional 'go on without me' scene between the volunteer and a bunch of robots?

In my last playthrough, I had to sprint to the end of the dam mission before it collapsed, so the cutscene with Annette had a mechtoid just chilling in the background. Wish I'd taken a screenshot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when i did the robots only run it was just like, empty space. no teammates to be seen :v:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Long War Exalt stole 436 dollars and put me 426 dollars in debt. The moral of the story is, intel scan. They made the mistake of doing this while I knew where they lived, however.

Tonight, 12 rocketeers burn down Exalt's house.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

nuzak posted:

Who's the Xcom LP'er who sounds like Xerxes from 300?

Zamalf I think?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Long War Exalt stole 436 dollars and put me 426 dollars in debt. The moral of the story is, intel scan. They made the mistake of doing this while I knew where they lived, however.

Fun fact, with an all-SHIV team you can easily score an average of like 2 EXALT kills per turn for the entire mission (in EW)

Basically they're the most incredibly efficient little mechanical murder machines :kimchi:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Tollymain posted:

Fun fact, with an all-SHIV team you can easily score an average of like 2 EXALT kills per turn for the entire mission (in EW)

Basically they're the most incredibly efficient little mechanical murder machines :kimchi:

I want to try a Long War run where you start with 10 soldiers, hiring new ones costs a hundred simoleons, and shivs are all ten times cheaper. The prospect of an all-SHIV army with minor human backup intrigues me.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 29, 2014

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yeah, I always scan twice a month. Fun fact, you can savescum the exalt penalty. I reloaded a save once because I realized I clicked scan without setting new research. The first time they stole money, the second time they raised panic.

Not that I would do this intentionally. Exalt is bullshit on the tactical level, not strategic.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Deuce posted:

Yeah, I always scan twice a month. Fun fact, you can savescum the exalt penalty. I reloaded a save once because I realized I clicked scan without setting new research. The first time they stole money, the second time they raised panic.

Not that I would do this intentionally. Exalt is bullshit on the tactical level, not strategic.

I would have savescummed, but it would have lost me hours of time, and frankly I enjoy being so mad at them. It'll make it more fun when I knock down their house.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I always savescum after three exalt missions to guess the base.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So you know how, in the Exalt base, there's that last pod of Exalts hanging out behind the picture window in the main room?

Coming at them from above with two engineers and two Smoke and Mirrors scouts with Chem Grenades is very, very satisfying. Even then, they nearly killed one of my assaults. But only nearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

Do you actually need to make items for your base personnel? I thought the deal was you do some foundry project and they appear with lasers etc for the mission.

Answering myself as I was totally wrong:

quote:

Added two cheap Base Security foundry projects, which will allow base security to automatically equip any spare laser rifles and phalanx armors during an XCOM HQ assault. Note these will only help if you have unequipped instances of these items in storage.

• Locked thread