Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden, except for cheap tricks.

This is the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey thing of going to a different time to do something difficult and returning a fraction of a second later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Diabolik900 posted:

It's been a while since I watched it, so I could be remembering it wrong, but I always took it as applying to everyone.

Yeah, he throws in a line about a giant Cyberman stomping through Victorian London and nobody remembering.

Of course Moffat then wrote a story with a giant T-Rex stomping through Victorian London and nobody remembering, so at this point I think he may have reached Spongebob "let's throw the letter on the bonfire!" levels of,"gently caress it I'm just gonna go with whatever."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Listening to the interview CD and Maggie is joking about Evelyn trading in the chocolate cakes for pot brownies as an "added eccentricity" :unsmith:

It's the sort of thing that DOES go on in academia...

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 29, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I liked this episode but I don't think I like Capaldi's Doctor at all

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, he throws in a line about a giant Cyberman stomping through Victorian London and nobody remembering.

Of course Moffat then wrote a story with a giant T-Rex stomping through Victorian London and nobody remembering, so at this point I think he may have reached Spongebob "let's throw the letter on the bonfire!" levels of,"gently caress it I'm just gonna go with whatever."

In regards to the T-Rex, I took it as the cops were working with the Doctor's crew so they probably covered it up and the event is somewhere in Unit's archives. Also, the episode established that people in the normal population heard about it but at least some thought it was fake.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jsor posted:

I agree with this.

Though I will note that I found it slightly awkward that, of all the kids they showed, the bad kids were all black. (The two playing the video game and ditching at the beginning and Courtney "Disruptive Influence" Woods).

It's a super minor complaint though, since I actually liked Courtney and the delinquent kids thing was more eyeroll worthy than anything. I'm also coming from an American cultural perspective and I don't know if they have the same issues in the UK. They also only had like, what, 5 students with speaking roles? And 3 or 4 were black? That makes up for it anyway, since I'm pretty sure they were just saying "ain't kids little shits sometimes?"

Anyway, on the episode in general I... didn't really like it. I loved the first half or so, then it got boring around when they caught the robot in the vortex thingy. Danny doing the sarcastic SIR YES SIR! was the only really good thing in the latter half.

you thought they were bad kids? a bit precocious but not at all malicious. hooligans they ain't.

and fwiw the mix of pupils looked about right for unspecified east london.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

the Daleks don't remember The Doctor. Except when they do.

When have they remembered the Doctor since losing their memory of him? I don't think they have.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

When have they remembered the Doctor since losing their memory of him? I don't think they have.

In Time of the Doctor. They find information on him in the Papal Mainframe. Of course he wipes them all out too so all the ones that learned about him never pass the information on.

I appreciate what Moffat was trying to do in terms of removing the Doctor as a larger than life figure looming over the universe's entire history, but that path-web stuff was utter nonsense. I think an attempt was made to adjust the "hivemind" nonsense in Into the Dalek with the further explanation of how a Dalek's memory works, which suggests that the Daleks had their personal memories of the Doctor suppressed and the pertinent data storage on his activities deleted so they couldn't access it and relearn who this weirdo in the blue box was. But it's basically applying bandaids to a poorly thought out idea.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The presence of computer "forebrains" in Dalek physiognomy dates back at least as far as 2008's Unbound audio, Masters of War :eng101:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

RodShaft posted:

I wanted to thank everyone for the audio book recommendations. I've mostly enjoyed what I've heard so far. The One Doctor was very Douglas Adams-esk at points.and I loved the monopoly bit.

I would have said thanks earlier, but I hadn't hit the latest episodes and didn't want to spoil them.

Aha! Now you have to grab The Kingmaker.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's interesting how willing Moffat and Capaldi are to make the Doctor so unlikable. It stands in particular contrast to Smith's tenure, with the Doctor striving towards likability. It's quite obvious this is totally intentional on Moffat's part, but I'm not sure what his endgame is. Obviously, part of that is getting Clara to quit, because that is the obvious implication of Clara's conversation with Danny at the end, that a time will come when the Doctor does push her too far, and in keeping with her promise, she quits. The Doctor also says to Courtney he might soon have a vacancy. Might double as foreshadowing?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually like Capaldi a lot more than I liked Eleven at the end of his run. He has a fresh energy that's been sorely lacking since the fifth season.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jerusalem posted:

Antitime.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I kind of like him as a "wow this guy is a huge dick but he's very fun to watch" more than anything. Really, he's quite Tuckeresque. Really very Malchiavellian.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McDragon posted:

I kind of like him as a "wow this guy is a huge dick but he's very fun to watch" more than anything. Really, he's quite Tuckeresque. Really very Malchiavellian.

Shuttity up.

I kind of agree.

EDIT: VVVV YES! (I think we broke him)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh poo poo, he's in the real thread. We've broken him.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I bought The Juggernauts from Big Finish since it's cheap this month. I'm expecting greatness, given Colin Baker and Terry Molloy. How well does it stand up to Davros? It's the first Mel audio I'll be listening to, as well. So that, if nothing else, should be interesting.

Also, I'm very sorry to hear about Maggie Stables. I've only heard a few stories with her, and watched the "Real Time" web cartoon on Youtube (Which, by the way, was an odd story, but worth a watch), but she was definitely awesome.

edit

Occupation is Doctor Who's Best Fan

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can someone make the dynamite reveal avatar-sized?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WELCOME

BROTHER

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked The Juggernauts well enough, but it's nowhere close to Davros. Mel's as solid as she usually is in audio, and Baker and Molloy turn in their usual great work. The story's just very blah. It does feel right out of Six's TV era, with all the Saward and Levine elements in place.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I liked The Juggernauts well enough, but it's nowhere close to Davros. Mel's as solid as she usually is in audio, and Baker and Molloy turn in their usual great work. The story's just very blah. It does feel right out of Six's TV era, with all the Saward and Levine elements in place.

Okay, that sounds fine by me. I doubt there are many stories as good as Davros, and the weirdness of Six's TV era is at least interesting to me, if not good.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
The dutch angles on that gif are making me honestly a bit ill

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WILL THE DOCTOR AND HIS COMPANIONS ESCAPE CERTAIN BOOM?!
CAN JACK HARKNESS AND CO AVOID THE HORRIBLE FATE OF BECOMING BAKED COUCH POTATOES?
HOW WILL MARTHA JONES AND HER FRIENDS AVOID BEING ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE HYPNOTIC BOOB TUBE?!

TUNE IN TOMORROW! SAME WHO-TIME, SAME WHO-CHANNEL!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

CAN JACK HARKNESS AND CO AVOID THE HORRIBLE FATE OF BECOMING BAKED COUCH POTATOES?
HOW WILL MARTHA JONES AND HER FRIENDS AVOID BEING ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE HYPNOTIC BOOB TUBE?!

Well, now I just want The Second Doctor to team up with Adam West's Batman to defeat Michael Gough's The Celestial Toymaker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not gonna lie, I'm way too proud of that 'certain boom' pun.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Now THIS is some good writing. :allears: Thank you, my youthful chum.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Captain Jack was a time agent and had that time travel thing he wore on his wrist.

But I think in the classic series it was implied that the Time Lords prevented other species from developing time travel.

The vaguely established canon is that while the Time Lords did stop many races from developing time travel, Daleks and Sontarans did. Humans did sometime around the year 5000, the era of the Time Agents (like Jack) and Magnus Greel.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it's essentially a re-tread of Davros with a little 60s comic book "but what if we threw these monsters into the mix" approach. But if you're going to pick an audio to re-do...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So I bought The Juggernauts from Big Finish since it's cheap this month. I'm expecting greatness, given Colin Baker and Terry Molloy. How well does it stand up to Davros? It's the first Mel audio I'll be listening to, as well. So that, if nothing else, should be interesting.

I just finished listening to it recently. It's.... okay. You will be shocked, SHOCKED I say, to hear that Colin Baker and Terry Molloy are the best parts of it, and that both give excellent performances.

I know, I know, controversial statements, but I stand by them!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Occupation is Doctor Who's Best Fan

I'm pretty sure at this point he's the biggest Doctor Who nerd on SomethingAwful, and I mean that in a good way :)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

After The War posted:

Aha! Now you have to grab The Kingmaker.

I don't really have any desire to listen to the audios outside of long drives, which I thankfully don't have to do much anymore. I'm quoting this to make it easy to find in the future if I need one. Thanks.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're missing the point. The character isn't a manchild, the people writing his characterization are. Or at least, that's what their writing makes them come off as.

You know, I was thinking about it today and this really strikes me as true. And it all goes back to that awful opener with the T-Rex. I feel like someone on staff came up with a dinosaur throwing up the Tardis and not knowing that the scale was impossible, then people just going "gently caress it, we'll do it anyway." It just strikes me as this season being really ignorant of basically everything. Like good pacing, natural sounding dialogue, basic causality, etc. Bar the Sherlock episode its like they've never seen how humans act before, either on TV or in real life.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I just finished listening to it recently. It's.... okay. You will be shocked, SHOCKED I say, to hear that Colin Baker and Terry Molloy are the best parts of it, and that both give excellent performances.

Davros made me want a weekly show where they argue with each other over anything that bothers one another. I'm pretty sure that even if it was terrible, I would like anything with both of them. Basically, I want them to star in "The Odd Couple." But with genocide occasionally, to keep it in character.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

RodShaft posted:

I don't really have any desire to listen to the audios outside of long drives, which I thankfully don't have to do much anymore. I'm quoting this to make it easy to find in the future if I need one. Thanks.

You say that now, as I did once and I'm sure Bicylcops and CobiWann did as well. But soon, the craving will set in. Not only will Big Finish become your constant companion as you pass through this world, but you'll find yourself compelled to listen to all the ones we warned you against. You will embrace the works of Lidster and Martin and find only of the succor of nightmarish suffering.

On that note, I've gone back and started the Sarah Jane audios in my Big Finish run-through and the first two are bad. The first one is bad in a "Terrance Dicks plot hole and incoherent pacing" way, but The TAO Connection is just horrific. I could stand the nonsense of the plot, but the mincing, lecherous gay villain from the 1600s, but you wouldn't know it infuriated me in a way I haven't felt at an audio since The Rapture.

It did give me a surprise Maggie Stables, sounding exactly like Evelyn posing as a Yorkshire landlady :3:.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

... So did everyone miss the post I made about Maggie Stables suggesting in an interview that Evelyn should be made a fan of pot brownies?

Because it's the sort of thing that I feel warrants SOME attention :420:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

... So did everyone miss the post I made etc...

no, we didn't. but you're really goddamn annoying so maybe we're just ignoring you

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

... So did everyone miss the post I made about Maggie Stables suggesting in an interview that Evelyn should be made a fan of pot brownies?

I know I'd have to be high to try and hang out with the Doctor. Otherwise, I'd probably be miserable and be all like "Why the Hell are we hanging out with a shape-shifting penguin-man?" If I were high, I"m sure no questions would be asked.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
The TARDIS' natural Artron high.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

Evelyn is definitely my #1 companion for Six, but I based it entirely on the character and haven't heard much behind the scenes stuff with her. Maggie just won me over on that front as well.

To be fair, us stoners are pretty easy to impress. Just mention weed in a non-alarmist way and that pretty much sinks it.

By the way, how is the Big Finish Talks with Maggie? I saw you received it - the only behind the scenes stuff I've listened to has been for Unit Dominion and Light at The End, but those were fun so might pick up some interview discs if they're recommended.

Attitude Indicator posted:

no, we didn't. but you're really goddamn annoying so maybe we're just ignoring you

Boo. DoctorWhat is sometimes obnoxious with his over-enthusiasm, but I still look forward to his posts because I've picked up so much trivia from him that it more than balances out, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor What just very enthusiastically enjoys and consumes Doctor Who. It's okay if he comes off as a little over-enthusiastic sometimes, at least he's not a jerk to anybody unless they're a jerk to him, something not even I can claim. Plus he's young enough that I feel like we owe him an indulgence or two.

It's interesting reading on Big Finish's write-up after her death that she had such a brash sense of humor. That with the pot brownie thing just makes her sound like a treat to work with. Hopefully they were able to make her comfortable in her final days. It's going to be interesting when I get around to her last goodbye story. :smith:

• Locked thread