Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Someone should get the rights to Darklands and make a kickstarter for Darklands 2.
The Darklands rights are currently held by Tommo, who mostly seem to just republish old games on Steam and GOG nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Kins posted:

The Darklands rights are currently held by Tommo, who mostly seem to just republish old games on Steam and GOG nowadays.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&pagenumber=262&perpage=40#post434986347

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
More bad news for Yogventures backers: Yogventures replacement TUG delayed due to layoffs

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
This is getting sweeter and sweeter by the update.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every time a Minecraft clone fails, it reaffirms my belief that Notch made some sort of deal with Satan in order the ensure the success of his game and the utter failure of all that come after. With how slow Minecraft updates it straight up does not make sense that something better has yet to come along.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Can't wait to see how they try to spin this one.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's always fun watching developers who have no business sense crash and burn. If you don't want to give in to investor demands, make smaller projects that might not be your dream project, and use them to build up a war chest. THEN make your super ambitious expensive dream project. Expecting real investors to give a bunch of no name developers money no strings attached is dumb.

EDIT: Their About Us section on their website is a comedy gold mine:

quote:

Resident Furry Lover. Unpaid intern. Collects beanie babies and cabbage patch kids. Behavioral scientist and founder of Nerd Kingdom, but NBD.

I think a grand total of one mentions any any game development experience.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 29, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every time a Minecraft clone fails, it reaffirms my belief that Notch made some sort of deal with Satan in order the ensure the success of his game and the utter failure of all that come after. With how slow Minecraft updates it straight up does not make sense that something better has yet to come along.

Mostly just comes from Notch being able to hire away every other programmer capable of making good minecraft clones to work on minecraft itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also the fact that Notch had an actual idea instead of 'lets just make Minecraft clone" since making a clone very rarely leads to a good game.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's always fun watching developers who have no business sense crash and burn. If you don't want to give in to investor demands, make smaller projects that might not be your dream project, and use them to build up a war chest. THEN make your super ambitious expensive dream project. Expecting real investors to give a bunch of no name developers money no strings attached is dumb.

Or do it as a side thing while you work your day job. You don't just have to work full time on your dream project while hoping an angel will come along and get you your dinero.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

ImpAtom posted:

Also the fact that Notch had an actual idea instead of 'lets just make Minecraft clone" since making a clone very rarely leads to a good game.
Quote from Nizzotch/Notch »
This is a very early test of an Infiniminer clone I'm working on. It will have more resource management and materials, if I ever get around to finishing it.

It currently runs at about 700 fps for a 256x256x64 tile map.

You can follow development on my blog: http://notch.tumblr.com/

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Wonder how salty the Infiniminer dudes are now that Notch got billions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Mostly just comes from Notch being able to hire away every other programmer capable of making good minecraft clones to work on minecraft itself.

Most of the people hired into Mojang to work on Minecraft came from the mod scene. I know of no one who attempted to make a clone who got hired by Mojang.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Wonder how salty the Infiniminer dudes are now that Notch got billions.

Infiniminer was vastly different from what Minecraft eventually became and I as much as I love them, I honestly don't think Zachtronics has it in them to make a game with mass appeal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orzo posted:

Quote from Nizzotch/Notch »
This is a very early test of an Infiniminer clone I'm working on. It will have more resource management and materials, if I ever get around to finishing it.

It currently runs at about 700 fps for a 256x256x64 tile map.

You can follow development on my blog: http://notch.tumblr.com/

Huh, well, consider me corrected.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was pretty clear that notch had an idea that went well beyond infiniminer clone but that's where it started out.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

On the other hand, Minecraft is pretty bad so...

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Infiniminer was vastly different from what Minecraft eventually became and I as much as I love them, I honestly don't think Zachtronics has it in them to make a game with mass appeal.
Spacechem seemed reasonably popular based on the quite anecdotal evidence of the number of people I knew playing it. Obviously not, like, Minecraft successful or anything, of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Most of the people hired into Mojang to work on Minecraft came from the mod scene. I know of no one who attempted to make a clone who got hired by Mojang.

I didn't say they made clones, I said they're people capable of making good clones. Which you can see by how Minecraft works a shitload better these days than when Notch was doing most of the programming.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I think the reason minecraft clones fail is because minecraft as it started was a really simplistic game. Everything was just a little box; it was essentially just virtual leggos. It only really started getting complex after it got popular and started making money. People making minecraft-likes these days don't have that luxury. They have to be better than minecraft in significant and noticeable ways on day one, or people will just play minecraft instead.

Its the same problem you get with WoW and MMOs for the most part.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pavlov posted:

I think the reason minecraft clones fail is because minecraft as it started was a really simplistic game. Everything was just a little box; it was essentially just virtual leggos. It only really started getting complex after it got popular and started making money. People making minecraft-likes these days don't have that luxury. They have to be better than minecraft in significant and noticeable ways on day one, or people will just play minecraft instead.

Its the same problem you get with WoW and MMOs for the most part.

No not really. The problem most new MMOs have is they think they can get WOW-sized playerbases paying from month one, which results in spending way too much time and money to setup the game and then when it turns out you can't get 5 million paying customers on brand new mmo the studio quickly has to scale poo poo back.

On the other hand, MMOs that don't try to go 0-WOW have a much better time of sticking around since they plan for reality, they plan for things like maybe getting 20,000 people who'll pay for the first few months.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Sinking too much time and money trying to directly compete with something that's been in development for years is essentially the comparison I'm making. The real difference is that the small teams making minecraft clones tend to hit their funding limit a lot earlier than the big teams making WoW clones, so the scaling back happens before release instead of after.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was out for a run tonight and ran by some kids who were playing "Minecraft" outside like I used to play teenage mutant ninja turtles or whatever. Social phenomenons aren't easily cloned.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I was out for a run tonight and ran by some kids who were playing "Minecraft" outside like I used to play teenage mutant ninja turtles or whatever. Social phenomenons aren't easily cloned.

Just reading that makes me feel old.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

chiefnewo posted:

Just reading that makes me feel old.

I miss my hoop and stick.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

RottenK posted:

The download link for TinyKeep was sent out to the backers, and it's being released on Steam in a few days. I haven't tried it out yet, if anyone here did I'd like to hear your opinion.
I've finally had the time to give TinyKeep a spin. Only played through three levels until my prisoner's death but it's nice so far. I love the cute style and it's an interesting spin on rogue-likes.

If I was to ding anything it's that the controls and animations feel a little gluggish, which is a drawback in a 3D action game. More seriously is that I'm not sure it's got that hook factor that some rogue-likes have to make you keep playing again and again. I've also been trying out the early access Dungeonmans, and if I was looking for a rogue-like fix I'm far more likely to turn to that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

oh, come the gently caress ON

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I heard a rumor reported on npr this morning that a Japanese company wants to buy Dreamworks Animation (the Shrek and Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon people) for 3.4 billion dollars. Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5 billion. That was weird information to process.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised. The only thing of value they have is the algorithm for that sneer all of their protagonists make sooner or later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Well I know how much the world loved Street Sharks so

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

feedmyleg posted:

Well I know how much the world loved Street Sharks so

I agree, I loved Street Sharks.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Trapezium Dave posted:

I've finally had the time to give TinyKeep a spin. Only played through three levels until my prisoner's death but it's nice so far. I love the cute style and it's an interesting spin on rogue-likes.

If I was to ding anything it's that the controls and animations feel a little gluggish, which is a drawback in a 3D action game. More seriously is that I'm not sure it's got that hook factor that some rogue-likes have to make you keep playing again and again. I've also been trying out the early access Dungeonmans, and if I was looking for a rogue-like fix I'm far more likely to turn to that.

Yeah the controls are a major turn-off to me. The floatiness and inertia are really irritating at least on first play. It looks adorable. I haven't found anything particularly interesting to do in the first three levels so far.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh, someone from my old stomping grounds is Kickstarting his current game, Band Saga.

It's a bright, "Roguelike" shooter that uses it's soundtrack to build the levels on the fly. You can't upload your own music to the game, like in Rez or Audiosurf, but you can edit the soundtrack during the game to change the world using the in-game synthesizer, which is one of the main game mechanics.

They're currently under their goal by about 4.5k and are entering the final 50 hours. They had a working demo at the Tokyo Game Show and hope for an end of the year release.

Oh, and in case you couldn't guess from the title, the game is about a band.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

Huh, someone from my old stomping grounds is Kickstarting his current game, Band Saga.

It's a bright, "Roguelike" shooter that uses it's soundtrack to build the levels on the fly. You can't upload your own music to the game, like in Rez or Audiosurf, but you can edit the soundtrack during the game to change the world using the in-game synthesizer, which is one of the main game mechanics.

They're currently under their goal by about 4.5k and are entering the final 50 hours. They had a working demo at the Tokyo Game Show and hope for an end of the year release.

Oh, and in case you couldn't guess from the title, the game is about a band.

Lol watch this dude get sued by king for that saga bit in the name. Fuckers tried to sue the banner saga guys.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Crash74 posted:

Lol watch this dude get sued by king for that saga bit in the name. Fuckers tried to sue the banner saga guys.

I thought King backed off on that after the avalanche of negative PR they received.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Iron chef + Monster Hunter in 2d = I never knew I wanted this game to exist until I saw this kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trinket/battle-chef-brigade

Apparently they have released at least one game (color sheep) and this is their new thing, and I cannot help but back this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That looks great. Ironically, it would look worse if it wasn't anime, which I think might be the first time I could say that.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
The pitch is Literally The Perfect Game, but the video kind of turns me off. Am I the only one who thinks the game would be perfectly fine if they didn't have an action-platformer part? I want 100% cooking simulation and 0% running around 2d platforms jump attacking enemies.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Paradigm, the amazing obscure foreign adventure game from the 90's that doesn't exist yet, has about six days left, has hit its music, art and voice acting upgrade goals and has added a new, more achievable fourth stretch goal - a fully-playable pixel-arted dating sim with three romanceable characters, one of which is an inanimate object. This goal is a little over $3,000 AUD away, and as an Australian, let me assure you that our dollar is a little lousier than yours.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Anyone who backed Zombie Playground, oh, two-and-a-bit years ago, may be surprised to find a Steam key in their emails. I honestly thought they'd abandoned it... Looking at the KS update, it appears they've run out of money and sold the game to another company?

Somehow the game actually looks worse after 2 years of "development" than it did in the kickstarter promo, zombies still have no textures, the controls are awkward, I managed to clip into a wall within 30 seconds of starting it up and the whole game appears to have been built in the HL1 engine.

I'm actually more disappointed that it's real and it's bad, than I was that it was a dead but possibly interesting idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not as familiar with Creepy Castle as I'd like to be, but it's a neat-looking platformer that looks kind of ZX Spectrum-y to me, and its KS just has a few days left. Check it out!