Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kalume Khiga, CF
Qutaybah Bin Abdul, 1B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Felipe Jimenez and Bashar Wajih

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Draft a reliever and make him a starter! Who cares if he has two pitches, with all the extra innings he'll learn others! Maybe. Hopefully. Probably not but who cares look at that fastball/slider :syoon:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Khiga (cf) and Qays(1b)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Wajih and Benarbia

Jimenez might not be as good as he looks since our scouting is crap and no one picked him up in the last round. 10 other pitchers got drafted, so he must look pretty bad to everyone else's scouts.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Current Vote Tally :siren:

Khiga, CF - 8
Wajih, SS - 4
Jimenez, SP - 3
Ayinde, CL - 3
Khaldoon, CL - 1
Bin Abdul, 1B - 3
Qays, 1B - 1
Benarbia, CF - 1
Ayinde -

I'll leave it open a tiny bit longer and go to the next round before I sleep, but currently too happy about a Giants win to do anything.

Hopefully we finish the draft soon, so have some patience.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 2, 2014

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
For this round: Qutaybah Bin Abdul, 1B and Kalume Khiga, CF

Eagle884
Mar 2, 2014
Ayinde and Bin Abdul

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zzzz...

: Petey-pete? Petey, it's your pick. You said you were gonna pick before you fell asleep and then you

: Ah! Oh, crap, uh, alright Mr. Commissioner. Let me just gather my thoughts.

JosefStalinator posted:

Khiga, CF - 8
Wajih, SS - 4
Jimenez, SP - 3
Ayinde, CL - 3
Khaldoon, CL - 1
Bin Abdul, 1B - 3
Qays, 1B - 1
Benarbia, CF - 1
Ayinde -

: Alright, it was close, but Mr. Commissioner, the Istanbul Constantinoples select Kalume Khiga, CF and Bashar Wajih, SS

Something weird is happening with OOTP's draft log - for some reason it's showing players drafted that aren't. I think it's because I simmed the draft at the start without saving, just to make sure I had enough players generated, and for some reason it saved those results and is overriding the real thing (not sure why this is a problem now and not before). I'll let you know the number of drafted pitchers and relievers to help compensate for this. The draft itself is still fine.

I'll say it again, but relievers are beginning to be drafted - 5 have now been picked

: Let's look at the top guys left:

Hitters

Starters

Relievers

: Here's our current team. We need a RF and a 1B, two pretty common positions. Good work voices!

Candidates in a minute

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 2, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I had a problem with OOTP 15 inaugural drafts doing weird things, too. One time I loaded my saved game to find the draft reset back to round one with the initial drafting order back in place (rather than my adjusted order) but all the players who had been drafted stayed drafted.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
22 year old reliever with 78 overall and 80 potential?

Get him and never get another reliever ever.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

If this idea ever gets done again, maybe sim the whole draft first & then let goons pick which team they take over after the rosters are set? We're already at the point where we're picking through the trash heap for starters.

The important thing to realize is that so is everyone else. Don't be discouraged, goons!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Would it be possible for you to sort the starting pitchers by movement and control and look for one of the better ones in terms of stamina? I was hoping maybe we could find a #4 starter who could just keep the ball in the park.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Would it be possible for you to sort the starting pitchers by movement and control and look for one of the better ones in terms of stamina? I was hoping maybe we could find a #4 starter who could just keep the ball in the park.

Will do, just compiling a list of the top candidates right now. Going to be some tough choices this round.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Starters
Teams in the league have on average 3.9 starting pitchers

Taymullah Bin Hilal, SP

Injury: Normal

Overall: Hilal is the top rated SP left, with great control and mediocre otherwise, with okay pitch selection and great stamina. Would be a obvious pick if not for his age, which could be a big concern.

Hasheem Basil, SP

Overall: Highest movement of the 40+ overall candidates and has great control, big concern is low stuff and mediocre pitches. Has high stamina though, and a case could be made that at this point, drafting a dude who won't walk a lot of guys, stays in the game long, and has good movement/stamina to keep the ball in the park, would be a good strategy. Especially since you guys have drafted some good defensive players.

Karim Mubarak, SP

Overall: Built similarly to Hilal with less control, Mubarak's advantage is at 33 he's much younger than the 38 year old hilal. Still not exactly young by any standards, not a bad pick if 38 is too old for your tastes.

Rakin Abdul-Wadud, SP

Overall: Much younger but with more balanced and mediocre stats, has okay stuff but concerning movement/control. Two great pitches with one okay one (and one bad one, but that's fine), with a little low stamina. Not a bad pick if you want someone younger.

Batters

Asir Abdul-Halim, "LF"/1B

Overall: With first base still unoccupied, this guy wouldn't be a bad pick if you don't mind his age. Great power and discipline, he could sit at the heart of our lineup alongside Azeem and hit quite a few dingers and draw many walks before declining. Normally a defensive liability, at first he'd be perfectly fine, and we could replace him easily if he declines in one year or five.

Ozen Sarcoglu, RF

Overall: Good defensive right fielder with mediocre-okay hitting abilities, good speed, not too old or young. Pretty well rounded, this guy would be a good pick if you want to fill in our RF spot with someone who could serve with competence there for a number of years.

Dhlami Al-Suhrawardi, C

Overall: A decent hitter with good-great power and eye, Dhlami's greatest weaknesses are age and positional abilities. We already have a catcher, but it might be good to have a backup, as catchers need more regular days of rest than any other position, and in the meantime Dhlami could technically play first base (but he may not do it well). Might also be a good go to pinch hitter, but otherwise Halim might be the better choice with better 1B skill.

Nuh Bin Tawfiq, 1B

Overall: A good young prospect, Tawfiq has the potential to develop into a great-elite hitter whose only weakness would be a penchant for strikeouts. Big problem is that he's at first base and can't play anywhere else for his whole career, and as with any guy with potential, could totally fizzle out. A risky pick, he might be good if you don't mind youth at first.

Relievers
The other teams have chosen 5 relievers (as in there are only 5 teams that have one closer, not that each team has chosen 5 closers total. That would be insane)

Akil Fida, CL

Overall: Will wreck any hitters he faces, but his mediocre control may be a concern in high leverage situations. Can sac :bunt: better than any player.

Sariyah "Shepard" Talal :shepface:

Injury: Durable

Overall: :wow: 128 stuff. Two elite pitches, with way better control, and slightly worse movement. Can still sac :bunt: on an elite level. (not that you'll ever need your closer to bunt, ever) Has lower stamina but he's a closer so who cares?

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 2, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fida and Talal. Closers! Again!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Abdul-Aliyy Ayinde (CL) and Ozen Sarcoglu (RF)

I choose Ayinde because he's a LHP.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 2, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheMcD posted:

Fida and Talal.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Here's starters sorted by movement:

I grabbed Basil because he was the best rated overall, but if you want to see Sadaqat or Najeeb (if his stamina doesn't concern you), let me know.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Sarcoglu and Talal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

Here's starters sorted by movement:

I grabbed Basil because he was the best rated overall, but if you want to see Sadaqat or Najeeb (if his stamina doesn't concern you), let me know.

If Najeeb has any ++ pitches his stuff is going to get close to/into the hundreds if he's converted to a reliever FYI

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Is Fida's 83 stamina relative to other closers, or could we give him a shot as a back-end starter?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fida and Najeeb sight unseen.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wonder what Sariyah "Shepard" Talal's stuff is as a starter. With those ratings, there's a chance might be good enough to be a starter since he has over 30 stamina but, at the least, he's could be an awesome reliever.

Ozen Sarcoglu - I like Halim but we already have one defensive liability in the outfield and Sarcoglu balances both sides of his game well. He probably isn't fast enough to add a lot of value as a base-stealer but should get a few extra bases that way.
Sariyah "Shepard" Talal

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Tsalal and Sarcoglu.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Talal and Tawfiq

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

If Najeeb has any ++ pitches his stuff is going to get close to/into the hundreds if he's converted to a reliever FYI

Najeeb is definitely a good sleeper-reliever. There's still probably better relievers than him at this point, but he might be ignored by the AI for a while longer than he should. Here's his stats as a starter:

Alan Trammell posted:

Is Fida's 83 stamina relative to other closers, or could we give him a shot as a back-end starter?

Fida's problem is that he only has two pitches, which really limit his abilities as a starter. He definitely has the stamina for it, but hitters will quickly figure him out if all he can throw is a fastball and slider.

Here's his stats as a SP:

tadashi posted:

I wonder what Sariyah "Shepard" Talal's stuff is as a starter. With those ratings, there's a chance might be good enough to be a starter since he has over 30 stamina but, at the least, he's could be an awesome reliever.

Ozen Sarcoglu - I like Halim but we already have one defensive liability in the outfield and Sarcoglu balances both sides of his game well. He probably isn't fast enough to add a lot of value as a base-stealer but should get a few extra bases that way.
Sariyah "Shepard" Talal

Here's talal's ratings as SP. As with Fida, he suffers from a really bad pitch selection (in that he only has two pitches), with not a lot of movement on any of his pitches, he'd have to rely on fooling them with speed alone.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 2, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

From personal experience, guys with only two pitches tend to get destroyed if you try and make them starters, no matter their ratings otherwise.

That being said, considering the crop of pitching "talent" available to us, it might be worth a shot with a couple of these guys.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

From personal experience, guys with only two pitches tend to get destroyed if you try and make them starters, no matter their ratings otherwise.

That being said, considering the crop of pitching "talent" available to us, it might be worth a shot with a couple of these guys.

Yeah, honestly, between the three guys I posted above, Najeeb would make the better starter if only because he has 3 pitches to choose from. It's sort of the bare minimum to keep batters on their toes. Najeeb's big flaw and why he's rated so low is that his awful stamina will make it hard for him to make 5 innings per start.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah, honestly, between the three guys I posted above, Najeeb would make the better starter if only because he has 3 pitches to choose from. It's sort of the bare minimum to keep batters on their toes. Najeeb's big flaw and why he's rated so low is that his awful stamina will make it hard for him to make 5 innings per start.

I think I'm going to change my pitching pick to Najeeb. He's the better pitcher.

I'm going to guess that Brahim Akinshiju would be worth keeping an eye on for much later.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 2, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I think I'm going to change my pitching pick to Najeeb. He's the better pitcher.

I'm going to guess that Brahim Akinshiju would be worth keeping an eye on for much later.

Yeah, he might be a good fifth starter if you want to follow your movement/stamina strategy (which I think is a good one).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah, he might be a good fifth starter if you want to follow your movement/stamina strategy (which I think is a good one).

When all else fails, I feel like movement/control is the way to go over stuff/control. At least you can predict what the guy with high movement and control will do.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Vote Tally :siren:

Fida, CL - 4
Talal, CL - 6
Ayinde, CL - 1
Sarcoglu, RF - 4
Najeeb, SP - 2
Tawfiq, 1B - 2
Halim - 1

I'd close it now, but I've got some stuff to do for a bit today. Should be back before too long to close it up and do another round tonight.

I'll really start pushing the votes faster, and the next one may even be the last if quality drops off too heavily. We'll see, but it's almost done.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2014

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Bin Tawfiq and Talal.

One of these days OOTP will allow pitchers to develop another pitch as they come up through the minors.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Asir Abdul-Halim, "LF"/1B and Akil Fida, CL

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
: Alright, what have you got for me?

JosefStalinator posted:

:siren: Vote Tally :siren:

Fida, CL - 4
Talal, CL - 6
Ayinde, CL - 1
Sarcoglu, RF - 4
Najeeb, SP - 2
Tawfiq, 1B - 2
Halim - 1

: Oh come on. I get Talal, but now you can't pick between another reliever and a right fielder? God drat it, executive decision time.

Mr. Commissioner, the Istanbul Constantinoples select Sariyah Talal, CL and Ozen Sarcoglu, RF

Sorry voices, but tiebreaker goes to the position that isn't as abundant (and that we didn't already pick).

And top guys left:

Hitters

Starters

Relievers

Current Team:

Candidates Incoming

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 3, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dennis Eckersley posted:

Bin Tawfiq and Talal.

One of these days OOTP will allow pitchers to develop another pitch as they come up through the minors.

That day was whenever OOTP 15 came out

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

bin Tawfiq, 1B and bin Mahir, MR.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Starters
Teams in the league have on average 4.5 starting pitchers. We only have 3 :(

Taymullah Bin Hilal, SP

Overall: Hilal is the top rated SP left, with great control and mediocre otherwise, with okay pitch selection and great stamina. Would be a obvious pick if not for his age, which could be a big concern.

Hasheem Basil, SP

Overall: Highest movement of the 40+ overall candidates and has great control, big concern is low stuff and mediocre pitches. Has high stamina though, and a case could be made that at this point, drafting a dude who won't walk a lot of guys, stays in the game long, and has good movement/stamina to keep the ball in the park, would be a good strategy. Especially since you guys have drafted some good defensive players.

Karim Mubarak, SP

Overall: Built similarly to Hilal with less control, Mubarak's advantage is at 33 he's much younger than the 38 year old hilal. Still not exactly young by any standards, not a bad pick if 38 is too old for your tastes.

Abdul Bin Sulamayn, SP

Overall: Normal

Overall: A good younger pitcher, the best remaining pitcher overall who is under 30. Good pitch ratings with bad movement and mediocre stuff/control. Good stamina is nice.

Batters

Asir Abdul-Halim, "LF"/1B

Overall: Still the best hitter left, great power and eye with good hitting stats elsewhere. We would probably move him to first, which coincidentally, is the last position we have open. Is old, so if you don't mind a veteran who might poop out in a year or two, this is your guy.

Nuh Bin Tawfiq, 1B

Overall: A good young prospect, Tawfiq has the potential to develop into a great-elite hitter whose only weakness would be a penchant for strikeouts. Big problem is that he's at first base and can't play anywhere else for his whole career, and as with any guy with potential, could totally fizzle out. A risky pick, he might be good if you don't mind youth at first. Pick this guy if the age of Halim bothers you.

Dhlami Al-Suhrawardi, C

Overall: A decent hitter with good-great power and eye, Dhlami's greatest weaknesses are age and positional abilities. We already have a catcher, but it might be good to have a backup, as catchers need more regular days of rest than any other position, and in the meantime Dhlami could technically play first base (but he may not do it well). Might also be a good go to pinch hitter. Pick if you dont want any of the 1B's yet.

Kamil Azhar, CF

Overall: Okay hitter who is solid defensively at any outfield position (may be underrated at RF due to inexperience). If you really dont want any of the 1B/C, you could pick him as a backup OF.

Relievers
Teams in the league average .8 Relievers per team.

Muwaffaq Muhanned, MR

Overall: Classified as a MR, has great stamina with elite stuff and a really good cutter and good slider. A shame his changeup isn't better or he could be a starter, and may even serve in long relief/emergency start situations.

Ateth Sezgin, CL

Overall: Elite stuff with great movement and control, he's a great closer or setup guy. Don't let the CL/MR distinction bother you too much, you can use them interchangeably. A bit older though. Spells the th in Ateth with the letter thorn for some reason.

Carlos Quinonez, MR

Overall: A great MR with elite stuff and great movement/control. Amazing slider and great fastball. Included mostly because he's the younger option.

:siren: vote away for two dudes :siren:

I wanna finish this one round in a few hours if possible.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Let's say Hasheem Basil, SP and Karim Mubarak, SP

Neither are great, but they both look halfway serviceable, and I'm not too high on any of the bats.

• Locked thread