Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Jade Star posted:

But it doesn't feel dark. It's still all happy music and colors and happy music and i bet sooner or later some sort of war crime will be overshadowed by Musashi's growling stomach.

Nope, doesn't happen. Strangely enough, they didn't play things like that for laughs. Almost as if they realized the gravity of the situation, and hoped the players themselves would manage to do so as well, despite all the "happy music and colors and happy music."

Seriously, mate. Just because those elements are there, doesn't make it not dark. It means that there is this little thing called "dissonance", which honestly should just increase the feelings of tension and being disturbed by what's happening. Actually, pretty sure that's the point to begin with - this nice, happy kingdom, is being attacked and repeatedly raided by a bunch of bastards. If you don't see the darkness in that to begin with, bright colors or not, maybe that's saying more about you than it is about the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

SorataYuy posted:

Nope, doesn't happen. Strangely enough, they didn't play things like that for laughs. Almost as if they realized the gravity of the situation, and hoped the players themselves would manage to do so as well, despite all the "happy music and colors and happy music."

Seriously, mate. Just because those elements are there, doesn't make it not dark. It means that there is this little thing called "dissonance", which honestly should just increase the feelings of tension and being disturbed by what's happening. Actually, pretty sure that's the point to begin with - this nice, happy kingdom, is being attacked and repeatedly raided by a bunch of bastards. If you don't see the darkness in that to begin with, bright colors or not, maybe that's saying more about you than it is about the game?

Uh... what? I am not even sure what you're saying. Are.. are you saying there's something wrong with me here?

It's fun game, I enjoyed playing it. But it never feels like a serious drama. Everything is carefree and even the village getting set on fire is just water scroll practice time. When you play the game it's all fun and cool, but kinda looking at it from a distance and in segments from the LP its kind of funny because of the actions or themes that could be portrayed seriously aren't taken that way.

It's a good game, sorry you got some sort of problem here.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Jade Star posted:

Uh... what? I am not even sure what you're saying. Are.. are you saying there's something wrong with me here?

It's fun game, I enjoyed playing it. But it never feels like a serious drama. Everything is carefree and even the village getting set on fire is just water scroll practice time. When you play the game it's all fun and cool, but kinda looking at it from a distance and in segments from the LP its kind of funny because of the actions or themes that could be portrayed seriously aren't taken that way.

It's a good game, sorry you got some sort of problem here.

What are you talking about? Bureebu Fuensaa Musashi is one of the great tragedies of our age, with such--ahem--mature themes that only a child would fall for its carefree façade. You must be some kind of ignorant graphics whore if you missed the subtle themes of this master work of drama and intrigue.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Thank you George, that was perfect and well spoken.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Jade Star, there is so much wrong with the way and direction you decided to take that, I'm not even going to bother trying to correct your misconceptions. Because apparently I "got some sort of problem here." Good morrow to you, sirrah. :colbert:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

SorataYuy posted:

Jade Star, there is so much wrong with the way and direction you decided to take that, I'm not even going to bother trying to correct your misconceptions. Because apparently I "got some sort of problem here." Good morrow to you, sirrah. :colbert:

I.. I don't even know... is w-hat still an emote? No? gently caress I don't know what to use. :wtc: ? :wtf:? wait wait... :lurkmore: ?

I'm so torn and undecided. Send Help. Also send in Kijiro too so we can get back to the LP.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
The game is 90s shonen-anime as hell. When you know the Japanese version's protagonist shares a voice actress with this guy

it can't be intended as anything else.

Also, replacing Baker Towst's booze with wormy pork chops makes the game even goofier.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
"Help us, Musashi! It's terrible! There are trolls in the thread! You're the only one who can defeat them! Will you save the thread?"

-->Um... I dunno... seems kinda silly...
You bet! Those trolls won't know what hit 'em!

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I talked about it forever ago, but I finally recorded it: how to get the L-Vest early. (click for 12-second video)

Not too difficult, just requires a little precision. The church bell respawns on the last dry area it landed on if it hits the water, and getting the bell in the right position is half the battle.

EDIT: Relic Keeper VS. Early L-Vest. There's a little dissolve in the second phase because I got a call during the recording.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 30, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

How Ingratiating! posted:

I talked about it forever ago, but I finally recorded it: how to get the L-Vest early. (click for 12-second video)

Not too difficult, just requires a little precision. The church bell respawns on the last dry area it landed on if it hits the water, and getting the bell in the right position is half the battle.

EDIT: Relic Keeper VS. Early L-Vest. There's a little dissolve in the second phase because I got a call during the recording.

:golfclap:

I don't think I've ever seen the Relic Keeper beaten that quickly. Good job.

I'm still working on the next episode. It's totally not because I've been distracted by bats, hammers, and balls going untold speeds. Yep.

I'm sorry. Lethal League is so good, I can't pull myself away! SEND HELP!

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 2, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Is there a reason to switch back to normal Lumina before attacking the weak spot? The only thing the selected Lumina charge mode affects is what happens if you charge up and hit Triangle, as far as I've ever known. The regular Lumina attacks are the same.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Pressing Triangle or Square while the Water Scroll is active makes you shoot bubbles instead. So I switched back to Normal to instantly end scroll activation, so I wouldn't have to wait. This was talked about upthread, as Zannosuke waited during his Relic Keeper fight instead of switching.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Yep.
This was something I had no idea about until I did this LP.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys. Got some bad news for ya...

My headset mike has finally bit the dust. I'm now getting nothing but static through the microphone bit. The episode will be posted some time today, but until I can get another mike, I'll have to pause this LP.

Sorry.

:sigh:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The LP Curse is great and terrible in its majesty. Don't worry, take all the time you need. But do come back; this is cute!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Zannosuke posted:

Hey guys. Got some bad news for ya...

My headset mike has finally bit the dust. I'm now getting nothing but static through the microphone bit. The episode will be posted some time today, but until I can get another mike, I'll have to pause this LP.

Sorry.

:sigh:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...ords=zalman+mic

I have one of these jury-rigged onto a set of normal headphones for when I play Battlefield and it works just fine. I don't think you're going for some kind of crazy high fidelity voice work on this LP so hope that helps.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If your budget for a new microphone is $10, then just get a cheap rear end desktop mic at Walmart. If you are of means and willing to spend more for something that won't die on you in a month, I'd go with something like an Antlion ModMic for a good podcast-quality microphone.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Shoren posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...ords=zalman+mic

I have one of these jury-rigged onto a set of normal headphones for when I play Battlefield and it works just fine. I don't think you're going for some kind of crazy high fidelity voice work on this LP so hope that helps.

Star Man posted:

If your budget for a new microphone is $10, then just get a cheap rear end desktop mic at Walmart. If you are of means and willing to spend more for something that won't die on you in a month, I'd go with something like an Antlion ModMic for a good podcast-quality microphone.

Both of those look like really good suggestions, and I'll do some extensive research before buying my next mike. Thanks! Video should be up in a couple of hours.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New Episode Up!!!

Episode 7,Part 3: Conversations

Fair warning. The mike audio quality in this episode is worse than usual for this LP, due to it loving up on me. Also, lots of exposition on this episode, so yeah.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The video is unlisted, might want to fix that.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 8, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Now that you mention it, the symbols do look like the kanji for their respective elements. For reference:

Earth: 土
Water: 水
Fire: 火
Wind: 風
Sky: 空

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

The video is unlisted, might want to fix that.

Whoops. Thanks for the catch. Fixed now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Technically, gold generals can also move one space diagonally forward, but not backward.

I have no idea what this puzzle is going to look like, but I really want to see it now.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys, great news!

My new mike finally came in!! :woop: You guys can expect better sounding voice work from me.

Hopefully I'll have an episode up in a couple of days!

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
Woohoo! Looking forward to it!

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode UP!!

Episode 8, Part 1: Revengeance

Let me know if the new mike sounds better or not.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Your new mic sounds great. Makes you sound older.

This looks like one of the better dungeons in the game so far.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Looking forward to more. The sound quality is definitely improved.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Musashi's all "welp, I got here, better look for scroll information" when he finds out there's basically nobody else around.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New Episode Up!!!

Episode 8, Part 2: Shifted Expectations

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 7, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You'd think the fight against the Frost Dragon would be amazing because of the theme. But no, it's really kind of dull. The ice beam sound effect is pretty cool though.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Star Man posted:

You'd think the fight against the Frost Dragon would be amazing because of the theme. But no, it's really kind of dull. The ice beam sound effect is pretty cool though.

I could have sworn there were more "catwalk" phases for the fight when I replayed, but I was disappointed big time when I realized the rest of the fight was what it was. drat shame, that theme is one of the best.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Expectations :eng101:

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Aishlinn posted:

Expectations :eng101:
:doh: Dammit! Thanks.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I caught the rules of the dice game correctly, it's actually based on a famous economics problem.

If you sit down and calculate the EV of that game, it's actually infinite at every point in the game. Thus, by one definition of a rational player, you should never stop playing. We all would stop playing eventually though. Exactly how far we would go is a good measure of our own personal marginal utility functions. It's hard to argue that this behavior is not rational by the dictionary definition -- which forces you to reconsider most of the naive mathematical definitions of what a rational actor is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was kind of expecting the Frost Dragon to run you through a couple more arenas, to be honest.

I also didn't expect its casual exhales to freeze you solid.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Glazius posted:

I was kind of expecting the Frost Dragon to run you through a couple more arenas, to be honest.

I also didn't expect its casual exhales to freeze you solid.

Dude. It's a dragon. It's simultaneously super-powerful and super-lazy. Kinda like me with this LP. An episode will be coming soon, I promise.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Was there anything important behind that door in the second ice maze on the upper level? If I'm remembering correctly you didn't go in there.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 9, Part 1: Issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I really like the villains in this game. They have the perfect blend of goofy and cartoonishly evil that makes them endearing. It'd be cute, if they weren't dead set on the destruction and conquest of the world!

• Locked thread