Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Family Values posted:

The main problem with the Senate is that it exists. Abolishing it is the only acceptable reform.

The main problem with the House is that there are too few representatives. Restore the rep:constituent ratio so that theres more interaction between them. I want my US Rep campaigning door to door.

Neither of those is as important or would do as much as fixing money and FPTP voting.

Good luck getting any of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The ratio of Representatives to Congressman has become a bit too skewed now compared to a century ago or especially the founding of the US. Congressmen used to represent 30-60,000 people per district on average, and it's inflated over time to 690,000 per district today. Which honestly is so big they are impossible to hold accountable for anything.

The Constitution states that representatives shall not number more than one for every 30,000. I say they should amend it so there shouldn't be less than one for every... 200,000? 300,000 tops?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any practical reason that the house is being kept to its current size? Do they just not want to rebuild the building to have more offices and stuff?

No, there is no practical reason. The congress didn't bother to pass a normal post-census house size increase + reapportionment law after the 1920 census, and decided to declare it not a problem in 1929 by decreeing it would be 435 members (the current size then as now) until further notice.

We would need to have more than 800-1000 representatives in order to actually exceed the limits of the current House chamber absent major remodeling - it's a pretty big space with a lot of available seating, especially if you make the mezzanine area part of official seating. It regularly holds over 1000 people during joint sessions of the house and congress with executive branch officials and various visitors attending.

Edmund Lava posted:

To my understanding they are required to vote in person and the House is out of room to add more seats.

This is only true in that they haven't bothered to put in more seats officially designated as for the house members.

It already has formal seating for the entire senate plus the current house, and there's tons more room besides that.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Why is Nate Silver loving with Sam Wang? This is a small world etc, but what the hell is Silver trying to accomplish?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Right now the House is so gerrymandered that its makeup doesn't represent the popular vote in the last election, and the Senate coincidentally does. Normally you'd expect the opposite to be true, but the Republicans are way better at gerrymandering than the Democrats.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JT Jag posted:

The ratio of Representatives to Congressman has become a bit too skewed now compared to a century ago or especially the founding of the US. Congressmen used to represent 30-60,000 people per district on average, and it's inflated over time to 690,000 per district today. Which honestly is so big they are impossible to hold accountable for anything.
You know, my proposal would fix that whole accountability issue without completely neutering the power of individual congressmen, robbing them of their ability to know and build alliances with their compatriots so as to effectively obtain long term legislation through a series of negotiations where all party's interests have an opportunity to be represented and replacing it with a system where the party bosses have even more power and control than they do already since they are the only effective way to build up enough support to pass legislation and the legislation will practically always reflect the will of the party in power. :v:

I mean, my proposal still seems by popular consensus to be a terrible idea, but I'm not really seeing the legislative benefits that are supposed to occur by increasing the size of the house to 1,6000+ members or why it's any better. I'm not even sure how the supposed benefits of more accountable/more representative would even end up being a likely outcome.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If you increased the number of Congressmen in the House so that they would each represent a smaller number of people, I would be okay with the House replacing the Senate entirely, but only if all redistricting nationwide was done by a neutral third-party.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Pohl posted:

Why is Nate Silver loving with Sam Wang? This is a small world etc, but what the hell is Silver trying to accomplish?
It's just who he is. He got into a bunch of trouble at the Times for it. Supremely obnoxious.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

JT Jag posted:

If you increased the number of Congressmen in the House so that they would each represent a smaller number of people, I would be okay with the House replacing the Senate entirely, but only if all redistricting nationwide was done by a neutral third-party.

Probably impossible without layers of external auditing. A least lines algorithm would be easier and still pretty effective, even if it has the side effect of splitting up natural constituencies.

Not that either is likely to happen

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

Probably impossible without layers of external auditing. A least lines algorithm would be easier and still pretty effective, even if it has the side effect of splitting up natural constituencies.

Not that either is likely to happen

Who writes the algorithm? Who approves the district boundaries?

Our system may seem like poo poo, its pretty nice when you get used to it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

A least lines algorithm would be easier and still pretty effective, even if it has the side effect of splitting up natural constituencies.
I consider any form of redistricting based on math to be a neutral third-party.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Would anyone be interested in a thread about what exactly government and democracy are for, and what might be effective ways of better achieving those goals (both in the US specifically but also abroad and in general)?

I might end up putting in the effort to try and make a decent effortpost to start it off later this week if people would actually be interested, though honestly considering how misunderstood I was earlier I'm probably not the best person for the job. I wouldn't mind actually citing stuff and linking resources and stuff about the purpose of democratic government as seen historically and what suggestions are commonly made and whatnot about it, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Edmund Lava posted:

To my understanding they are required to vote in person and the House is out of room to add more seats.

No its not, we cram about a thousand people in there for state of the unions.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

There definitely needs to be some kind of test of your faculties. This poo poo where we're re-electing guys like Byrd while he's basically fallen apart and LITERALLY (yes literally) LITERALLY cannot perform the job of Senator is just stupid and wasn't at all anticipated. With life expectancy and incumbency both on the rise guess how much more of that poo poo we're in store for?

They really do need to tackle that issue. I have no idea how. Some cognitive function test or just show them things like mobile phones and pictures of minorities and see what words they use to describe them.

Should probably lump in letting old people drive as well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean, different than the manipulation that happens every time the redistrict, like they did a few years ago?

Yes, the redistrict every 10 years. Or more frequent if you are Texas. But this is actually a similar example. The reason we have redistricting is because of a compromise that neither party is willing to undo because they both fear they'll lose more than they win. We could do it like apportionment, but we're frozen in fear.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, quick question, why does the Electoral College exist? I was just checking out the Election history and saw that the president has been elected while losing the popular vote 4 times. To me, that seems like a gross misrepresentation of what the people want, especially in the case of Bush/Gore (mostly because I wasn't alive in the 1800's for the other 3 times)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hey, quick question, why does the Electoral College exist? I was just checking out the Election history and saw that the president has been elected while losing the popular vote 4 times. To me, that seems like a gross misrepresentation of what the people want, especially in the case of Bush/Gore (mostly because I wasn't alive in the 1800's for the other 3 times)

The American system is carefully constructed to put barriers between direct democracy. I'm not being glib, the framers really didn't trust the average person to make good decisions.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

zoux posted:

The American system is carefully constructed to put barriers between direct democracy. I'm not being glib, the framers really didn't trust the average person to make good decisions.

Right, I've known that, but with people more educated today (at least in most areas :eng99:) why is it still this way?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyPowerVan posted:

Right, I've known that, but with people more educated today (at least in most areas :eng99:) why is it still this way?

Because people still behave stupidly when you get to the mass level.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

Because they're not as educated or intelligent as you think they are.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWuMp6TRcYM

Holy poo poo, Bill Clinton did an ad for Grimes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Uh, no they aren't.

Avoiding more glibness, people aren't any better at discriminating between good and bad info so they aren't any better at making informed choices.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 2, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I would definitely say that, in general, the populace is more educated than it was in the late 18th century. I know that people are still idiots, but I know a lot of people that when I've tried to get them to vote, they are all apathetic and point to the bush/gore election as a reason that "voting doesn't matter". If people felt like their vote mattered more, they might be more likely to research candidates. I did say might.

The reason I asked is what does the Electoral College really do? They're supposed to vote with their state, right? So when someone wins the popular election, they should in theory win a larger percentage of Electoral College votes... so if people are stupid and do stupid things, they will still elect who they want.

Or can the college just up and decide to vote for someone that their state didn't?

(Sorry, it's been a while since I've read up on it. If someone wins 51% of a state's vote, they get the entire college vote from that state in most cases, right? Except Nebraska in 2008...?)

EDIT: Right, I was talking educated as in generally having more resources to use in research, but I won't disagree that people still don't do their research in most cases)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

They're not more educated, but the Electoral College is still dumb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you think things like the Electoral College are silly, spend some time reading about the ideas that were rejected.

John Adams wanted the title of the President to be "His High Mightiness, the President of the United States and Protector of Their Liberties", for example.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I haven't been able to pay attention to politics for the past week plus, anything important happen besides the revelation that in TYOOL 2014 any jackass can apparently breach Presidential security? I assume not since it's do-nothing election season.

(Besides ebola and war in the middle east I guess)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

I would definitely say that, in general, the populace is more educated than it was in the late 18th century. I know that people are still idiots, but I know a lot of people that when I've tried to get them to vote, they are all apathetic and point to the bush/gore election as a reason that "voting doesn't matter". If people felt like their vote mattered more, they might be more likely to research candidates. I did say might.

The reason I asked is what does the Electoral College really do? They're supposed to vote with their state, right? So when someone wins the popular election, they should in theory win a larger percentage of Electoral College votes... so if people are stupid and do stupid things, they will still elect who they want.

Or can the college just up and decide to vote for someone that their state didn't?

(Sorry, it's been a while since I've read up on it. If someone wins 51% of a state's vote, they get the entire college vote from that state in most cases, right? Except Nebraska in 2008...?)

EDIT: Right, I was talking educated as in generally having more resources to use in research, but I won't disagree that people still don't do their research in most cases)

It's kind of like a failsafe, like if suddenly "The Clone of Hitler" won a write in or something, the college can vote a different way. I don't know if there's an instance of a college defecting against the popular vote.

Joementum posted:

If you think things like the Electoral College are silly, spend some time reading about the ideas that were rejected.

John Adams wanted the title of the President to be "His High Mightiness, the President of the United States and Protector of Their Liberties", for example.

There's a great scene in HBO's John Adams where Washington has just had it with Adams trying to get everyone to call him "Your Excellency".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GreyPowerVan posted:

Because they get taught in high school civics that the electoral college ensures that small states are still important to presidential candidates, since the notion that geography should vote is deeply ingrained in U.S. political education.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The talk about people not being educated reminded me of something I heard on the bus today at my University in Alabama. A guy got on with a face mask, and the person sitting next to me asked them jokingly if it was Flu or Ebola. The person with a mask just shook his head and stated angrily that he "Blamed Obama for all that Ebola poo poo."

I guess you're right, but I still think the Electoral College is a dumb system.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

re EC chat

The institutions were created by people with a typical elite's contempt for the lower classes. The fact that the institutions reflect that contempt and today's elected officials largely share that contempt shouldn't be too surprising.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have about as much contempt as they do/did so I can't throw stones.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So does everyone remember the new College Republican ad Joementum posted the other day; the Say Yes to Rick Scott, et al. ad? Well, Tucker Carlson thinks that the young people that the ad is directed at probably shouldn't be voting at all.

quote:

"I don't think as a general matter we should be encouraging people who don't know anything about what they're voting for to vote, that's what Democrats do," Carlson said later. "Republicans shouldn't follow suit on that. You shouldn't pander to people."

"Tell us what the candidates are for, what they're against," he added. "Attacks are allowed, I'm all for attack ads. But, you know, you're targeting people who are watching 'Say Yes To The Dress?'"

Smith objected to that.

"Why don't you stop patronizing them and tell them what the campaign's actually about," Carlson said after a bit of back-and-forth.

"Maybe they won't pay attention," Smith said.

"Maybe they shouldn't vote," Carlson said.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 2, 2014

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

radical meme posted:

So does everyone remember the new College Republican ad Jomentum posted the other day; the Say Yes to Rick Scott, et al. ad? Well, Tucker Carlson thinks that the young people that the ad is directed at probably shouldn't be voting at all

quote:

"I don't think as a general matter we should be encouraging people who don't know anything about what they're voting for to vote, that's what Democrats do," Carlson said later. "Republicans shouldn't follow suit on that. You shouldn't pander to people."

:ironicat: except it's exploding into a billion rolleyes and more :ironicat:'s for infinity

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If we can't pass the ERA we can't fix the electoral college et al.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If we can't pass the ERA we can't fix the electoral college et al.

Why, does Phyllis Schafly oppose it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreyPowerVan posted:

A person is more educated, a group of people is still stupid.

Also if we all die of Ebola because we don't have UHC and people can't afford to go to the hospital, does that make Ebola Obama's fault?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Not President of the Thirteen States and Protector of The America?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Luigi Thirty posted:

A person is more educated, a group of people is still stupid.

Also if we all die of Ebola because we don't have UHC and people can't afford to go to the hospital, does that make Ebola Obama's fault?

As the last American on this Earth coughs up their dying breath, rest assured on their blood speckled lips will be the words, "thanks, Obama."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

His site is under fire from ESPN for not doing so well plus Wang nitpicked a few things about him in a book review ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's Sam Wang's rep? His Senate forecasts have been rosier so I want him to be better :kiddo:

• Locked thread