Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Any tips for Infinite Space for the Nintendo DS?

Get yourself a pair of Carriers ASAP and fill them up. Fighters are insanely useful.

This is for something about 1/3rd of the way through the game, but it's very important:

Yell at Katida, give her real flowers, and fight for Nova Nacio. It affects a lot of stuff later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Any tips for Infinite Space for the Nintendo DS?

You might want to FAQ some of the recruitment, since they may have very small windows. Notably, one of the more obscure ones require you to [spoiler]enter and exit the Help screen a bunch of times[/url].

And yeah, fighters own.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GrandpaPants posted:

You might want to FAQ some of the recruitment, since they may have very small windows. Notably, one of the more obscure ones require you to enter and exit the Help screen a bunch of times.

And yeah, fighters own.

Huh, I got that one by accident. I assumed it was part of the story, actually.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have noticed one benefit of Charisma so far in Wasteland 2. When I threatened the thug in the first area he told me the location of a hidden shrine. I had 4 or 5 charisma. When I talked to him again with a character that had 3 charisma he didn't tell me the location.

How often this happens I don't know, I'm playing a low charisma/high intelligence party now.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Ultima VII - I've either lost or never received Batlin's package, so I can't deliver it to Minoc. Am I screwed? Do I need to start over? I'm finally getting into this game after many false starts and I don't know if I could start over yet again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Draile posted:

Ultima VII - I've either lost or never received Batlin's package, so I can't deliver it to Minoc. Am I screwed? Do I need to start over? I'm finally getting into this game after many false starts and I don't know if I could start over yet again.

I'm not sure whether the package is actually part of the main quest. I AM certain that talking to the fortuneteller in Minoc is part of that, so do that if you can.

EDIT: incidentally, NEVER REST AT AN INN. A bug can make a key vanish if you do, loving you over. This is probably fixed in EXULT, not sure tho.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 24, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I just picked up .hack//GU because it's dirt cheap in Japan and I was never able to find a reasonably priced copy of any of them in America. I played the first .hack game back when it came out so all I have left in my mind from that is randomly generated dungeons, weird trade mechanics and the fact that elemental weaknesses pretty much made spamming scrolls or elemental abilities the best bet for killing bosses quickly.

Glancing through the manual for GU it looks kind of complicated so could anyone give me a basic starting guide or tips? I'm bad at figuring game mechanics out in Japanese.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just started Wasteland 2, and I find I'm running out of ammo constantly. I have a spread of weapons on my guys, but the early enemies are giving me basically nothing in the way of ammo. Should I invest in melee, or is this just the start of the game? Skill points seem pretty scarce.

Speaking of points, do attributes have anything to do with skills? Should I stick my talkie skills on the charismatic leader or ignore that as long as I have all the skills covered somewhere?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Just started Wasteland 2, and I find I'm running out of ammo constantly. I have a spread of weapons on my guys, but the early enemies are giving me basically nothing in the way of ammo. Should I invest in melee, or is this just the start of the game? Skill points seem pretty scarce.

Speaking of points, do attributes have anything to do with skills? Should I stick my talkie skills on the charismatic leader or ignore that as long as I have all the skills covered somewhere?

Yes, ammo is super scarce early game at least until you complete High Pool/Ag Center. .38 rounds are by far the most common (most handguns and SMGs) followed by 5.56. If you get the Mississippi Mule from the guy guarding the gate then he gives you 10 rounds. After finishing the first area you should go back to Ranger Center to sell your junk and buy more ammo before hitting High Pool or Ag Center.

I set up my characters with assault rifle, heavy weapon/blunt, sniper rifle/smg, and shotgun/energy weapon. I guess I got lucky early game with ammo crates because ammo wasn't much of an issue but you do need to make each shot count.

As for attributes, the only one I've noticed has an effect is charisma and the only noticeable thing was that a raider didn't give up a shrine location when I had lower charisma.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I restarted with a better-varied party. Leader/face with assault rifle, Demolitions/Brute Force/Toaster Repair with shotguns, scout/medic with pistols, and techhead/skill monkey with assault rifles, and it's going much better. Even if crutch-NPC whats-her-face keeps going rogue and using all my ammo if I let her out of leadership range.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

It's rather scarce early on, but after the first few missions it tends to get better. Check back into the the ranger citadel as soon as it's available to you (i.e. after you finish either Highpool or Ag Center) and upgrade your weapons, some of those that are on offer are a lot punchier per shot and as such much more ammo efficient. Look out especially for the M16, if any of your guys use assault rifles. After about the third major mission (where you're supposed to check into the Prison area) I've never really found myself running out of ammo any more and only rarely had to actually buy any to stock up.

Though that's not to say that taking a melee weapon skill on a character or two won't be worth it. I'm not very far in yet, but one of my characters has bladed weapons as her primary and she's pretty drat murderous even compared to the people with guns.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Draile posted:

I want to say the only reason to join the fellowship is in order to get in to particular location late in the game. But you can bypass that by just flying your carpet over the wall of that place. Although I think you can just go to the character in Minoc and admit you lost the package and all that will happen is that you get bitched at by her and Batlin.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hank Morgan posted:

I want to say the only reason to join the fellowship is in order to get in to particular location late in the game. But you can bypass that by just flying your carpet over the wall of that place. Although I think you can just go to the character in Minoc and admit you lost the package and all that will happen is that you get bitched at by her and Batlin.

It worth mentioning that the main quest, unlike previous Ultimas, is 100% linear. Talk to this guy, who tells you to talk to that guy, who sends you to that guy over there. And that guy won't help you unless you bring him a bear rear end from the guy across the map. At one point the fetch quests are nested four or five deep.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything for Avernum 6?

(I only played Escape from the Pit previously)

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Anyone have any useful tips for Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber? The wiki didn't seem to have anything on it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, one thing I can tell you is all that stuff you pick at the beginning affects what units you get to start with. Might want to check out a guide for that. Not a huge deal though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pengu! posted:

Anyone have any useful tips for Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber? The wiki didn't seem to have anything on it.

Know first off that there is a morality system never mentioned by the game. Choices you make in dialog AND which units capture which bases all effect this.

For example if you just play the game like a normal person you'd probably never really notice that one person on your squad might say "liberate a fort" and another might say "conquered" or some other variation of that. Each base has a morale that basically tells you how good/evil it is. If you send in your big stupid evil dude to take it over the posh neighborhood they will all be so shocked they lose their monocles. Same thing applies to sending that goody-goody paladin over to the Mos Eisley Cantina, they won't exactly play nicely.

So if you really care about getting one ending over another you are gonna want to have a good spread of units over a good spread of alignments to keep that poo poo in track and follow a freaking guide because there is so much poo poo that dictates alignment and what actually changes it.

Also also your main dude's unit is pretty powerful for the first good while of the game so only use them like you would a Jeigen in a Fire Emblem game if you've ever played one of those.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is probably dumb but any tips for Resident Evil 5? I've played REmake, Zero, and 4 before without getting tremendously far in any of them, but I want a campy horror game to play co-op with my girlfriend (she's never played any of the RE games) and apparently RE5 has been sitting forgotten on my shelf for ages.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Take some time in the first area to get used to the controls, especially the inventory. Everything happens in real time. Early on when your guns suck and you're short on ammo the best attack is to kneecap or headshot a zombie then run in for a melee attack. This has the added effect of clearing out everyone standing close by.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Any tips for Shin Megami Tensei IV? My only experience with these types of games is Persona IV and III.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Ryoshi posted:

This is probably dumb but any tips for Resident Evil 5? I've played REmake, Zero, and 4 before without getting tremendously far in any of them, but I want a campy horror game to play co-op with my girlfriend (she's never played any of the RE games) and apparently RE5 has been sitting forgotten on my shelf for ages.

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Resident_Evil_5

Most of what you need to know is already there. The first two tips are the most important, the rest is good communication.

-There is an arena early on that traps you and forces you to survive, don't let it discourage you.

-If you don't like Quick Time Events, you may want to start your first play through on Easy. Near the end game, the QTEs can be obnoxious.

There's a lot to unlock, especially in the gold edition, so don't push yourselves too hard. IIRC there's a chapter select option once you've beaten an area, which is great if you want to replay the game, but don't enjoy a certain chapter/boss.

al-azad posted:

Take some time in the first area to get used to the controls, especially the inventory. Everything happens in real time. Early on when your guns suck and you're short on ammo the best attack is to kneecap or headshot a zombie then run in for a melee attack. This has the added effect of clearing out everyone standing close by.

This too. There's even more focus on melee than there was in RE4. In fact, there's a achievement/trophy for juggling an enemy between player characters' melee attacks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arrrthritis posted:

Any tips for Shin Megami Tensei IV? My only experience with these types of games is Persona IV and III.
Track down the SMTIV thread and read the OP, especially the portion regarding alignment choices. Basically if you're shooting for the Neutral ending all of the guides on the internet are wrong and if you follow them you'll be able to get anything but Neutral.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I was gifted X-COM: Enemy Unknown. I've never played an X-COM game before, any tips?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Starhawk64 posted:

I was gifted X-COM: Enemy Unknown. I've never played an X-COM game before, any tips?
Priority 1: Save money for satellites, launch them into space just before the end of the month over any countries about to leave.

Priority 2a: Good gear.

Priority 2b: Sniper with Squad Sight and drat Good Ground.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Basic stuff to keep in mind while on missions - Have people finish turns in cover if at all possible, don't "dash" unless you really have to. Try not to explore new ground on your last guy's turn; if you discover a bunch of aliens, they'll immediately get their turns before you can do anything. Use Overwatch all the time, but bear in mind if the person is currently visible to an alien they won't move to trigger it, so they won't move which can be good but they're more likely to just shoot at someone which can be bad.

Seconding Sniper with Squad Sight - Ludicrously good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also about RE5 and difficulties. I believe the game is designed to be played on a normal difficulty, unlock a bunch of stuff, and then play on harder difficulties. So if you're the kind of person that puts the game on the hardest difficulty straight out of the gate, you might get frustrated.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Basic stuff to keep in mind while on missions - Have people finish turns in cover if at all possible, don't "dash" unless you really have to. Try not to explore new ground on your last guy's turn; if you discover a bunch of aliens, they'll immediately get their turns before you can do anything. Use Overwatch all the time, but bear in mind if the person is currently visible to an alien they won't move to trigger it, so they won't move which can be good but they're more likely to just shoot at someone which can be bad.

Seconding Sniper with Squad Sight - Ludicrously good.

Lightning Reflexes is very good for clearing out Aliens on overwatch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Starhawk64 posted:

Assuming you don't have Enemy Within, which tries to make you hurry, the most efficient way to play is to use an Assault with Lightning Reflexes as a scout.

You advance with one of your two actions and then the rest of your squad stays behind him/her. That way you'll only trigger aliens on your first move of the turn, so you have plenty of actions left to deal with them. Everyone should end the turn on Overwatch if you have no aliens in sight. If you get bored with this way of planning, at least play more conservatively as your turn advances. Leapfrogging works in real life, but if you trigger aliens on your last move you're probably hosed.

Explosives (grenades and rockets) are great, because they let you deal fixed damage, on demand, no questions asked, and blowing up cover as a bonus. If you're playing on normal or lower, you'lll have plenty of fragments for research/manufacture.

As someone said, plan to have enough satellites and satellite uplinks to keep countries from panicking and abandoning X-Com. That only happens at the end of the month, so you may as well wait in case another alert pops up and you need the panic reduction.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also about RE5 and difficulties. I believe the game is designed to be played on a normal difficulty, unlock a bunch of stuff, and then play on harder difficulties. So if you're the kind of person that puts the game on the hardest difficulty straight out of the gate, you might get frustrated.

If you don't care about possibly spoiling story stuff look up the guns online and figure out what you want to ultimately use so you don't waste money upgrading guns you won't use. Or just make Sheva haul all the castoffs.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Starhawk64 posted:

Normal difficulty is very approachable with no foreknowledge. You only need advice if you wanna play on classic (don't play impossible unless you hate yourself).

Just be aware that normal and easy difficulties actively cheat in your favor: every time someone in your squad misses you get a stacking invisible bonus on your hit chances until you hit, and every time an enemy hits your squad gets a stacking invisible defense bonus until an enemy misses. That makes some strategies viable that won't fly on harder difficulties (viz. hiding everyone behind cover at maximum range and plinking away with low probability shots), so try not to lean on those if you think you ever wanna play on classic.

If you care, there's probably a mod that gives you normal difficulty without the rigged RNG, but I'm not super familiar with XCOM modding.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Help me to not be terrible at Don't Starve ing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

juliuspringle posted:

Charcoal is used for a lot of very useful food preparation items but how to make it isn't very apparent.

You make it by setting trees on fire with a torch then cutting them down once the fire goes out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Arrrthritis posted:

If you already know the value of buffs and debuffs you're already mostly set. The other thing to know is the press turn system. The Persona games didn't really punish you for flinging a Maragi to hit the one fire-weak enemy while the other three nulled it, but in SMT4 it'll cut the stuff you get to do before the enemy murders you in half. The enemies can also wipe your party if they can probe a weakness successfully, sometimes.

Focus on either physicals or magical attacks on the MC, since you control his levels. +1 luck and +1 agility every level so you don't miss, dodge some, and aren't a sitting duck for statuses and instant kills, and have a good smirk rate. Then +3 magic for a spellcasting MC or +3 dex for physicals, since physical skills are more influenced by dex than str. Don't be afraid to dress in rainbow pimp gear.

Besides the obvious extra skill slots and stock apps, purchase the Scout-related apps until you get Scout+. Getting an extra demon each recruitment gets you a lot of fusion fodder and effectively halves the cost of scouting.

The MP Recovery Apps are also useful as passive MP regeneration makes dungeon crawling significantly easier. Nearly every boss has an elemental weakness to exploit, and quite a few of the minibosses aren't immune to instant death. The MC dying doesn't cause a game over instantly like in P3/4 but you also are going to be really hurting without him. Can't think of much else at the moment that beating P3 or 4 wouldn't have already told you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You'll also want to boost agility a bit if you're focusing on magic so that when its your party's turn you'll always go first. With a physical focused character it's not as huge a deal but as a magic using dude you'll often want to get certain buffs up ASAP or immediately exploit a weakness with a spell to maximize your team's actions.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This is going to sound like a next level stupid question: How do I grab and hold poo poo in Surgeon Simulator?

I understand that spacebar + awsd keys close specific fingers but am I supposed to continue to hold them all down? When I watch videos of people playing it looks like objects 'stick' to the hand.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have both of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and I'm thinking of playing a bit. Should I bother with the first? Anything I should know?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

As a post above me suggests, burn down a bunch of trees, get a load of charcoal and build a bunch of drying racks and a crock pot. Drying racks let you hang meat/morsels to make jerky which is great food and takes a long time to spoil. The crock pot lets you make excellent food items. Try a morsel (or monster meat) + 3 berries/carrots/mushrooms (or any combo) for meatballs which restores a shitload of hunger. Experiment a bit and find useful recipes.

Other random tips:

ALWAYS carry enough materials with you for a campfire or a torch. Being caught in the dark is death.

A good place for your camp is on the plains near (but not right next to) beefalo. They provide poop for farming and can be killed for lots of meat, fur and occasionally a horn. When beefalo have red butts they're in heat and are very aggressive. If you have some horrible monster chasing you this can be useful, lead them into the herd and they'll get gored to death.

Feed pigmen meats and they'll become your helpers/bodyguards for a short while. The pig king can be given meat and trinkets (like the gnome and other wierd stuff you dig out of graves with no apparent use) in exchange for gold.

Winter starts on day 20(on standard settings). Be ready for it because newbies will freeze to death very quickly. You can craft warm clothes and don't go far without stuff for a fire. It'll be obvious when you're getting cold.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I'm going to be proactive and toss out a SUGGESTION for anyone who wants to play Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Explosive Gel can be used to unlock Riddler trophies! The game is a lot of fun but I don't remember the game ever suggesting or hinting that this was a viable use of the gel. As a result I had to get really creative with remote batarangs when there were multiple question marks that needed to be hit.

When I discovered that I could use the explosive gel I literally slapped my forehead.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Think about using any gadget you have in any of the Riddler puzzles in Arkham Asylum/City/Origins. If you can't get it, it's possible you need a gadget you don't have yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

juliuspringle posted:

If you don't care about possibly spoiling story stuff look up the guns online and figure out what you want to ultimately use so you don't waste money upgrading guns you won't use. Or just make Sheva haul all the castoffs.

As a side-note on AI partners: If they're carrying a pistol, that's pretty much always the only gun they'll use until it runs out of ammo.

e: You can make good use of this if you keep your machine gun and shotgun to yourself and have only them carry a pistol, since they probably won't ever run short on ammo for it (and let them lug around your rifle until you need it).

Pneub fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 4, 2014