Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sadly you still can't level everything. We really need an Apocalypse remake for that scale of fun. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jalathas posted:

Excuse me he didn't say two, he said a couple. Apparently there's some cultural thing where some people say "a couple" and mean exactly two, where others say "a couple" and mean a smallish number, along the lines of "a few" or "several".

The former people are terrible human beings. I used to work at a 7-11 a few decades ago and nothing gets me angrier than remembering how many stupid people would come up to me and say "gimme a couple a packs of cigarettes" and I'd want to jump over the counter, strangle them and yell "HOW MANY PACKS YOU gently caress!?!" It was always the smokers too.

cokerpilot posted:

So when are those other story missions supposed to happen?

After the plot device machine gets built, and after we narrow down where the EXALT base is.

pointy corpse posted:

Pretty sure it's also known as ginger beer. Could be wrong, though.

You need to stop drinking ginger beer, assuming you do. In fact all of you need to stop drinking ginger beer.

Bluhman posted:

I actually can see where they were coming from with the whole "Tastes like toothpaste" thing, though. If you add a bit more mint it probably would be spot-on for basically having a toothpaste soda, but with the opposite effect for your teeth.

That's something I never understood. The Chilean guys where I work think Mug (they call it 'moog') tastes like toothpaste, and I just had to stare awkwardly at them when they said that.

Jade Star posted:

Gotta say, didn't expect all the fine rootbeer chat to spring up.

This thread has great derails, ones I don't mind supporting and contributing to.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

GuavaMoment posted:

The former people are terrible human beings.

You're a terrible person :colbert:

A couple is two, that's why it's called a couple. If you want more than two, you say 'a few'.

Let's Derail: XCOM Enemy Within

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ceebees posted:

You're a terrible person :colbert:

A couple is two, that's why it's called a couple. If you want more than two, you say 'a few'.

Let's Derail: XCOM Enemy Within

Having worked in a gas station, Guava's got the right of this. Customers don't always mean "two" when they say "a couple."

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Kasrkin posted:

I hate to turn from the subjevt of my second favorite thing (Beer) to something else again, but i was watching some of the older Videos again, and in one of them, Jade and Guava a talking about, how it would look like, when someone is marching down the maps with a Team of MECs, not giving a Single poo poo about cover and in return blowing up as much of the Cover the enemy's have as possible.

Soooo, I may or may not have done an terrible thing. it is about 12 Minutes long, with no Commentary. but maybe its good for a Laugh or Two

oh yeah and vahlen is bitching about Blowing up Meld or Stuff, i dont know, wasn't listening.

That was some good punchin' at the end there.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I think something we can agree on is that regardless of what you mean by it, you don't use "a couple" in matters where precision is important. It has a variable definition, and if you wouldn't use "a few", don't use "a couple" even if you think it means an exact number, because you have no idea what the other person thinks it means. They're not terrible people because they meant two, they're terrible people because they expected you to read their mind.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah, you don't know how many times I've assumed my friends only had one boy/girl friend when they said they were a couple.

gently caress you, this is my thread, I will derail and troll the gently caress out of it if I want. Especially you Guava!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Yeah, you don't know how many times I've assumed my friends only had one boy/girl friend when they said they were a couple.

gently caress you, this is my thread, I will derail and troll the gently caress out of it if I want. Especially you Guava!

This just gave me the mental image of a Mormon saying to his friends "yeah, we're a few now". I suddenly really wish that would start happening.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kasrkin posted:

I hate to turn from the subjevt of my second favorite thing (Beer) to something else again, but i was watching some of the older Videos again, and in one of them, Jade and Guava a talking about, how it would look like, when someone is marching down the maps with a Team of MECs, not giving a Single poo poo about cover and in return blowing up as much of the Cover the enemy's have as possible.

Soooo, I may or may not have done an terrible thing. it is about 12 Minutes long, with no Commentary. but maybe its good for a Laugh or Two

oh yeah and vahlen is bitching about Blowing up Meld or Stuff, i dont know, wasn't listening.

This would have been great. If you'd booshed everything.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
BOOSHCOM sounds like a fun thing to do, and certainly viable with Jetboot Modules and Advanced Servomotors all around. The question is how survivable it is - when faced with imminent booshing or more conventional forms of flanking, the AI reaction isn't "double move to best cover", it's "single move to best cover, then shoot/suppress/overwatch". Leaves them in booshing range if you had to double move to activate their pod, but leaves you with plasma in your face.

And of course it goes pear-shaped if any flyers are involved and have enough sense to not come down to the MECs' Z-level.

Speaking of Z-levels, good lord the spotty grenade splash on that last Seeker. "Fix your game, Jake" indeed.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
If someone asked you for a couple of something, just give them two. It fits both definitions and if they meant "a few" then you gave them the minimal possible amount. If they wanted more, gently caress em.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

GuavaMoment posted:

You need to stop drinking ginger beer, assuming you do. In fact all of you need to stop drinking ginger beer.

Well how else do you expect us to make Moscow mules, then?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Must Love Dogs posted:

Well how else do you expect us to make Moscow mules, then?

Ginger beer is only for holding liquor.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

Wow didn't expect to find The Wrongest Opinion in this thread.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks to the things I've learned in the X-Com Commanders Guide, I finally got around to not being absolutely terrible with new XCOM and beat the game. Now for Second Wave or Iron Man or something, this is too fun now that I am marginally better at not getting destroyed. I know you guys probably aren't going to be doing anything on Impossible, but can you give me some advice on how to get through that? :unsmigghh:

I thought that grapple twice, shoot to end your turn thing was actually working as intended. It kind of surprised me first time around, but it's tends to make some interesting alternative methods of killing things. The reach on the grapple is pretty drat far, to the point where at one time I just kitted everyone with them and used them for the first action if they weren't doing something else important.

Grappling DOES have a lot of glitches though, but most them them are relatively harmless, like the camera getting confused and not orienting unless you fidget around like Jade was doing with that Meld Canister, or you can get some terrible things like it sending you to a place where the only way to get off is to grapple again. The worst goes to somehow managing to glitch the gently caress out at the very end of a level to grapple all the way back to the beginning of The Dam Map where you rescue Annette, underwater and about 3 Z-levels directly underneath one of the climbable sniping towers, directly in the middle of what I can only describe as an inescapable swirly whirlpool of death. Couldn't move at all, grappling range was too far to get back to the map proper, so I did the only reasonable thing and let the Heavy who was doomed to a fate worse than they deserved to have to rocket themselves.

I wish this game would let you award (non-functioning) medals posthumously. Just for how ludicrous a way to go that was. :patriot:

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

GenericServices posted:

That was some good punchin' at the end there.

Hahaha, thanks! i have to admit, i was kinda Dissapointed by punching that seeker, i thought they would fly like the wind if punched

Veloxyll posted:

This would have been great. If you'd booshed everything.

i was tempted, seriously, but with mechtoids and Mutons Running around, it may or may not have ended in dying a lot more. ALso it would have taken ages to finish .

I tried making another video first. it's an EXALT mission, the one with the transponder on the rooftop. i learned a few things:

1. Buildings are incredible well build in the XCOM universe, even with two thirds of the Supporting walls in the lower floor missing, they will not collapse.

2. Exalt is REALLY desperate to hack the encoder, so much, that they willingly move into the area, even if there is no Cover at all remaining and they are standing within a few tiles of a punchy MEC

3. Bookshelf's are really good at dodging Punches

4. It's truly magical, how aggressively you can play, with only MECs and no need for cover, then again you kinda need, to net get blasted to smithereens.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chard posted:

Wow didn't expect to find The Wrongest Opinion in this thread.

Have you not SEEN all the people wrong about Snap Shot in the thread?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Meanwhile the Wonderful 101 thread is derailing about pizza, so this has been a pretty tasty week.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

GuavaMoment posted:

[...]
That's something I never understood. The Chilean guys where I work think Mug (they call it 'moog') tastes like toothpaste

Dashed colonial lunatics. You can try to prize my spicy Jamaican ginger beer from my cold, dead hands -- and keep your vile soap-flavoured belch-muck to yourself.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Veloxyll posted:

Have you not SEEN all the people wrong about Snap Shot in the thread?

I have to wonder if Snap-Shot might be more worth it if it were up against a different skill that people like, like drat Good Ground or Gunslinger. Like if Squadsight was the first skill you got at Squaddie and after that you could decide on building a mobile sniper or one who waits up on the roof and kills everything from there.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That's literally what Long War does (except it fails to extend overwatch beyond visual range, you have to take a different talent later to get that). It was also a pretty common suggestion in the Games thread about the game, back when we thought Jake might fix his game.
E: Wait, no, Long War snipers can currently never overwatch beyond visual range.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 2, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

It is, incidentally, completely worth taking in LW and gives the sniper a lot more tactical flexibility in situations where you don't have open lines of sight to every alien, but still rewards good positioning because you get a penalty on a shot after moving (and you can't combo with other skills, like Double Tap). Given X-Com's propensity for weird line of sight issues and bugs, it's a really nice ability to have. It would be a good change to vanilla, too bad it never made it in.

That 6 MEC video was awesome, would have been cooler on a map with cars and gas tanks to blow up though.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Rogue0071 posted:

That 6 MEC video was awesome, would have been cooler on a map with cars and gas tanks to blow up though.

Maybe, i don't know, cars aren't THAT much fun to blow up, just because, they remain as burned out Wrecks, no matter what you throw at them, gas tanks on the other hand, i will try that.

Edit: just played Site Recon with six MECs... somehow I kind of think, that Airstrike wasn't really necessary. Just saying

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 2, 2014

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
The root beer chat in the video was funny, seeing as I had just grabbed a frosty IBC to sit down and watch the video. IBC is probably my favorite root beer that I've had, though I will have to seek out and consume some of the ones mentioned here in the thread that I've never heard of before.

Also, why do people keep trying to derail the root beer thread with Xcom chat?

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
I must be the only one here willing to rep Barq's Root Beer. It must be, like, the Snap Shot of root beers. Or at least the Stabilize to Mug's Rifle Suppression.

...that said, is there such a beast as a One For All of root beers? Just an incredibly atrocious formulation that has no right being a regional or national blend?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Andy Waltfeld posted:

I must be the only one here willing to rep Barq's Root Beer. It must be, like, the Snap Shot of root beers. Or at least the Stabilize to Mug's Rifle Suppression.

...that said, is there such a beast as a One For All of root beers? Just an incredibly atrocious formulation that has no right being a regional or national blend?

Barq's isn't awful or anything. There's just better.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Andy Waltfeld posted:

One For All is good, just not as good as Jet Boots. I would take OFA over Automated Threat Assessment every day and twice on Sundays.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You aren't making special episodes anymore :(

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Andy Waltfeld posted:

I don't think it's that so much as that it's so common that most people don't really think about it. Similar to A&W in that sense - good root beer, but so common that it doesn't really get mentioned. That said, Barq's has a definite unique taste..."Barq's has bite!" indeed. :v:

Also, while I don't think I've seen one that's universally loathed, there are definitely some root beers that I've tried which are just awful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Karate Bastard posted:

You aren't making special episodes anymore :(

Well it was against EXALT so he's kinda excused there. :v:

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Cooked Auto posted:

Well it was against EXALT so he's kinda excused there. :v:

:objection: The last one wasn't one either.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Steelpudding posted:

:objection: The last one wasn't one either.

Well poo poo. There goes that excuse then.

Fix your LP Jade. :mad:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A&W is good, but a bit sweet for my tastes. I think that's why there's so much root beer opinion; you can go sweet or bitter and still have the right flavor. With normal sodas you can kinda do the same (I'd swear that Coke has cinnamon, but I can only taste it when the soda is warm) but there isn't as much room. Nobody's making a bitter cola.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I was under the impression Moxie counted as a bitter cola, but that's based entirely on one bottle I had when I was 13. Looking at it, it's more technically a root beer, but I could swear the flavor is closer to cola.

Although that does bring up my personal area of fountain drink expertise: Orange. There doesn't seem like there should be a lot of variance between orange sodas, but there's a definite difference between Sunkist, Fanta, and various house brands.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I had to run to Ace Hardware this evening to pick up a new staple gun, and I can only seem to find Frostop sodas at hardware stores like Ace Hardware and Murdoch's.

So a bottle of Root Beer, Vanilla Carmel Creme Soda, Kansas City Sarsaparilla, and Red Birch Beer followed me home. It's going to be a tasty couple of days.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Now that you're playing with psionics...

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Since when has IBC root beer been considered a "fancy" brand

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Roar posted:

Since when has IBC root beer been considered a "fancy" brand

Since it comes in glass bottles...?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Aerdan posted:

Pretty much. A&W, Mug, and Barqs are all good rootbeers, but when IBC only comes in brown glass bottles, it somehow seems fancier. We are a shallow species sometimes.

For canned rootbeers, I like A&W best, but I'm a sucker for vanilla. Plus they used to have drive-in A&W restaurants around the state, so that was something unusual and fun when I was a kid. It's best to have a rotation, though. You get used to any one rootbeer and after a while you're not really tasting it anymore. Trying something else out for a month before coming back to your favorite brand lets you taste all the nuances you've been ignoring again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Aerdan posted:

So does Bud Light but it's not exactly premium.

I'm not knocking IBC by any means, I like it alot, I just have very vivid memories of it sitting next to the Faygos at my old high school general store. Just never really thought of it as 'the good stuff'.

Now Barqs - that's where it's at.

• Locked thread