Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Gigabyte GTX980 for 340€ (429$) - a good purchase? Replacing a GTX285 that finally gave up the ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Welmu posted:

Gigabyte GTX980 for 340€ (429$) - a good purchase? Replacing a GTX285 that finally gave up the ghost.

It might be! :v:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Those who are saying they can play at ultra res textures in Shadow of Mordor with a 970 GTX, are you actually installing the optional high res texture pack that actually makes ultra different to high?

Only ask because whilst the benchmark on my 970 GTX gives good results on ultra in QHD or even 4K. If I actually try to play the game and turn the camera or something the game will freeze for a second whilst I assume it's loading new textures making it virtually unplayable if fighting. Only fix for me is to put the textures to high and play at HD.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Those who are saying they can play at ultra res textures in Shadow of Mordor with a 970 GTX, are you actually installing the optional high res texture pack that actually makes ultra different to high?

Only ask because whilst the benchmark on my 970 GTX gives good results on ultra in QHD or even 4K. If I actually try to play the game and turn the camera or something the game will freeze for a second whilst I assume it's loading new textures making it virtually unplayable if fighting. Only fix for me is to put the textures to high and play at HD.

Yeah, that is with the texture pack installed. I get the momentary stuttering when I first start the game and swing the camera to look around from atop the tower, but once I get going I have no issues.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Diviance posted:

Yeah, that is with the texture pack installed. I get the momentary stuttering when I first start the game and swing the camera to look around from atop the tower, but once I get going I have no issues.

For me it won't stop no matter how far I get into it

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

ElBrak posted:

It might be! :v:
Mainly I'm wondering if Gigabyte also cuts corners on the design/circuitry/components of their GPUs like they do on (some) of their motherboards. Unless nVidia's GreenLight-program put a stop to that poo poo.

edit: unless this is a moot point since all 980s are reference models.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 3, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DarthBlingBling posted:

Not having this issue on dual 970s either. Can you load up GPUz and look at how much memory is being used by your GPU while playing the game?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

For me it won't stop no matter how far I get into it

What CPU do you have?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Diviance posted:

What CPU do you have?

Monitoring programs show I'm using all the memory and I'm using a i3570k @4.2GHz and 16GB RAM

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Monitoring programs show I'm using all the memory and I'm using a i3570k @4.2GHz and 16GB RAM

Well, then I haven't the slightest. Are you using the 344.16 drivers that came out after the 970/980's got released?

Unless maybe it is the speed it is loading the textures from the HDD is insufficient, so it stutters more often?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just updated from 331.x to 344.x and not only did I lose my custom resolution of 3264x1836 but after reentering the same settings, it wouldn't past the test, so I had to rollback an hour and luckily my custom res was back.

Nvidia's DSR looks good on paper but I hear it can make the screen blurry, where as using a custom res does the same thing with out making it blurry.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Diviance posted:

Well, then I haven't the slightest. Are you using the 344.16 drivers that came out after the 970/980's got released?

Unless maybe it is the speed it is loading the textures from the HDD is insufficient, so it stutters more often?

Latest drivers yeah. Will try moving onto my SSD later to see if it helps at all

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Latest drivers yeah. Will try moving onto my SSD later to see if it helps at all

Just for comparison's sake...

i7 4790k
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX 970
500GB Evo 840 SSD

That is what I am running it on and I don't get the stuttering except right at first. I seriously doubt the CPU could make that big of a difference but the speed of the SSD with RAPID enabled might?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doctor Albatross posted:

Is this new 9 series worth an upgrade for somebody with a 6 series? I'm strongly considering it, but a friend suggested I could just get another 660ti and go for SLI. They seem kinda hard to find locally, though, and I know SLI can be a real bitch.

Unless you have a GTX780(ti) right now, a 9 series card is absolutely worth the upgrade. Don't bother with SLI 660tis.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Welmu posted:

Mainly I'm wondering if Gigabyte also cuts corners on the design/circuitry/components of their GPUs like they do on (some) of their motherboards. Unless nVidia's GreenLight-program put a stop to that poo poo.

Anecdotal but I've resold about 20 Gigabyte branded R9 280x/290/290x, both reference and custom, from a friend who mined cryptocoins, not a single one had any issues and one that I probably hosed up myself by tightening a Kraken G10 to a bit too hard, I still got Gigabyte to RMA no problemo but just putting the original cooler back on, needing nothing but the serial number on the card.

So, no nightmare stories from me, they're pretty solid. That was on cards without a Greenlight so I can only image these are even better.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Gwaihir posted:

Unless you have a GTX780(ti) right now, a 9 series card is absolutely worth the upgrade. Don't bother with SLI 660tis.

Definitely. SLI and Crossfire are only worth dealing with if you're shooting for power that you can't possibly achieve with a single, better card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
$365 780ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500322&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSQDHSRSYXWN-_-14-500-322-_-Product

EMCWPPG33 coupon code

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah. It would be mega dumb to double down on a two-generations-old card to get less performance out of a more finicky setup.

I hope we see a GM210 part eventually. Kinda feels like we should be able to skip a repeat of Fermi where they put the chip out and couldn't actually run it at the time because of process issues, and it took them another generation to basically just do that one card without having to kneecap it so it wouldn't burn through the PCB. The 28nm node is well enough understood; I just hope nVidia sees sufficient reason to actually put out a higher performance product this generation. They have consistently nailed the "this is exactly good enough" thing, plus running on a leaner product stack lately from a fabrication standpoint. They -rock- this efficiency stuff. If system requirements are about to see a ridiculous uptick, I expect them to at the very least react quickly.

If you look at the RAM amount on their top end cards, it has pretty much always been enough for the useful life of the product. I still think it's silly season with some of these games, and I have no goddamned clue why some devs apparently feel it is necessary to have 4-6GB worth of textures and other assets resident, but I don't make this crap I just play 'em and want to turn up sliders :shrug:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

G-sync/Freesync is supposed to stop micro stuttering though, at least in theory anyways.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Welmu posted:

Turns out the Radeon 5850 I've been using for several years was from Gigabyte. Never had a single issue with it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Who makes the nVidia and ATI / AMD branded cards, anyway? I've had 2 ATI branded cards in my life, an X800 Pro and a 5850, and I see nVidia branded cards at Best Buy for $40 more than they should cost.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My Gigabyte 570 came with a stock BIOS with a broken fan curve. The minimum fan speed on it was 70%, which was INSANELY loud with that three fan cooler. Gigabyte did helpfully provide a fixed BIOS, but it took a lot of digging to find it. Even with the fixed BIOS it is a loud motherfucker. The cooler is more than capable however. I've since dumped, modded, and reflashed the BIOS to have the fans go to 10% at idle, and it still runs chilly. The fans still have a distinct rattle at low speeds unfortunately. I'm considering modding passive idle mode onto the card, just to get the experience of the 900 series cards it'll soon be replaced by.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Khagan posted:

G-sync/Freesync is supposed to stop micro stuttering though, at least in theory anyways.

It's supposed to stop tearing and general motion stuttering from rendering at a framerate that doesn't evenly divide the monitor's refresh rate. Without extra frame-timing logic, G-/FreeSync can still microstutter. That said, microstutter has been addressed a lot with such frame-timing logic over the past couple of years.

Twerk from Home posted:

Who makes the nVidia and ATI / AMD branded cards, anyway? I've had 2 ATI branded cards in my life, an X800 Pro and a 5850, and I see nVidia branded cards at Best Buy for $40 more than they should cost.

I think historically it has been PNY for Nvidia (their Quadro partner) and Powercolor for AMD. Not really sure if that's changed.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just ordered an out of stock MSI 970 gaming card from amazon. Is it worth it to leave my gtx 560 non-ti card in for physx? Are the fan issues with the msi confirmed or just rumors?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

r0ck0 posted:

I just ordered an out of stock MSI 970 gaming card from amazon. Is it worth it to leave my gtx 560 non-ti card in for physx? Are the fan issues with the msi confirmed or just rumors?

I can confirm that I had issues, but in my case they seem to have disappeared.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I remember someone posting that SLI 970 is going to work on a 650w power supply. Now I read this from guru3d.com

quote:

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

r0ck0 posted:

I remember someone posting that SLI 970 is going to work on a 650w power supply. Now I read this from guru3d.com

That doesn't even make sense. A modern high quality power supply can run 100% load without issues and sli 970 in their scenario wouldn't even break 450w, and thats probably measured at the wall which means the psu load is probably 400-425w

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Diviance posted:

I went from an eVGA 670 FTW 2GB and it was a significant increase. I went from 40-ish fps on high 1080p to 50-60 on Ultra with Ultra textures at 1440p in Shadow of Mordor.

I did not need the upgrade, but I definitely am happy with it.

I got the Gigabyte Gaming GTX 970.

This post is me exactly, but I went with the EVGA ACX 1.0. This thing is fast and being able to turn the textures up too was a big plus.

The fans at 100% are quite loud but I had to manually put it there to see how loud it was because they haven't gone above 60% and temps have never broke 65 so far with the automatic fan profile. Really happy with this purchase and I am going to be selling my old EVGA 2gb 670 FTW now. If anyone wants it pretty cheap(120?) PM me I'm gonna put it on SA mart soon.

I think it's time to get one of those Korean 1440p displays.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So my fresh-drivered no-PhysX-installed MSI 970 just had a stopped driver on *Hearthstone*, despite doing 2+ hours of Wolfenstein New Order without a hiccup.

EDIT: Make that two three. And artifacts *in* Hearthstone. Fuuuuuuuck.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 4, 2014

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

r0ck0 posted:

I've got 650w, SLI 970s. Mild overclock. Haven't really stressed them out yet, but I've run a few benchmarks and seen no problems.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Did this Asus card just come out or something?

It doesn't show up when you filter in only the 980 cards, but I saw it when I was screening through all the new graphic cards and I'm ashamed to say that after convincing myself to wait until The Witcher 3 is out before getting a new card, I impulse bought the drat thing.

I've heard goods things about the970 version of the strix, how good is the Asus 980 build compared to the other brands?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Don Lapre posted:

That doesn't even make sense. A modern high quality power supply can run 100% load without issues and sli 970 in their scenario wouldn't even break 450w, and thats probably measured at the wall which means the psu load is probably 400-425w

Even their numbers say 278 watts at full load + another 170 is 450 watts. Not sure why they recommend 800 after posting those numbers.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

If a cord gets too close to one of those heat pipes on an MSI GTX 970, is there a chance it might melt?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

DarthBlingBling posted:

ive been playing with a 970 on ultra with it installed on my ssd. runs great at 1080p

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Fallows posted:

Even their numbers say 278 watts at full load + another 170 is 450 watts. Not sure why they recommend 800 after posting those numbers.

A lot of guys as far as power supplies go recommend whatever you need x2 purely on the basis of "the more watts your PSU is capable of handling, the less it is stressed by the requirement of X watts."

This can be true up to a point, but a lot of people tend to vastly overestimate what you need to put into the power supply that will handle its requirements with ease over a long period of time.

Plus, as far as recommendations go, you're generally always safer over recommending then under recommending. The cost of under recommending tends to be a lot higher.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 4, 2014

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Skwee posted:

ive been playing with a 970 on ultra with it installed on my ssd. runs great at 1080p

Yeah me too, but the issues arise when I play at QHD which other people seem to have no issues with. Copying everything over to my SSD to see if it helps

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Fallows posted:

Because when a power supply is loaded more heavily you get worse power quality, efficiency, noise, and lifespan. It's one thing to wonder how hard you can push a power supply you already have, but people who are buying multi-GPU should definitely be encourage to buy an appropriate power supply.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

everythingWasBees posted:

If a cord gets too close to one of those heat pipes on an MSI GTX 970, is there a chance it might melt?

Not a chance in hell.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So my fresh-drivered no-PhysX-installed MSI 970 just had a stopped driver on *Hearthstone*, despite doing 2+ hours of Wolfenstein New Order without a hiccup.

That's what you get for going cheap on GPU purchase. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So you say you installed the MSI 970 after installing the EVGA 970? Because I did the exact same thing. I got my drivers from the nvidia website for the EVGA, and when my MSI came in, I just swapped them out and have been using it just like that with no problems yet. Mostly playing battlefield 4 and Shadow of Mordor so far. Seems like maybe a card problem instead of a driver problem? Not sure how you could test that though