Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Yeah it was in the 90s today here too, Houston TX. Spent all day dying in a warehouse because a scenic designer didn't realize that if he put dimensions on a drawing, the final product would be the same size. God bless America. On the plus side, heading to Austin in the morning to meet up with a college buddy, check out ACL, and meet with a potential client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Ironhead posted:

Yeah it was in the 90s today here too, Houston TX. Spent all day dying in a warehouse because a scenic designer didn't realize that if he put dimensions on a drawing, the final product would be the same size. God bless America. On the plus side, heading to Austin in the morning to meet up with a college buddy, check out ACL, and meet with a potential client.

It was in the 80s yesterday in Dallas and then we had a crazy storm blow through and it is now in the 60s. Watched out my window at work, telephone poles getting ripped up and transformers exploding as a tornado started to form (never fully formed). Storm itself was 90mph winds. We had some windows blown out and lost power so we all left work early. Best part was the liquor store right next door was perfectly fine and had power so I got to go home early and drink.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Been a nice balmy 60's to low 70's here all week long, with perfect fall foliage coming into season, apples and pumpkins a-plenty. :smug:

Suck it, everyone who doesn't live in New England.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

It is in the 40's here and supposed to snow in the Twin Cities. Yay, MN.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Bachelor Friday: cheap red wine, pot noodle, tv. Just me and the fat dumb hamster.

It rained here all drat day, it was miserable. This is it until next June probably.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hot as balls here in Mississippi with no A/C, but I've got beer and a fan, so whatevs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Been a nice balmy 60's to low 70's here all week long, with perfect fall foliage coming into season, apples and pumpkins a-plenty. :smug:

Suck it, everyone who doesn't live in New England.

Not in New England, but drat similar. Except we have Zombies. :zombie:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

VendaGoat posted:

Except we have Zombies. :zombie:

I work right next to the hospital with Ebola in Dallas. Nonstop news helicopters flying overhead all week.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

JEEVES420 posted:

I work right next to the hospital with Ebola in Dallas. Nonstop news helicopters flying overhead all week.

And then apparently a near-tornado spread it all over town. :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

And then apparently a near-tornado spread it all over town. :v:

Was it filled with sharks?

Ebola infected Sharknado sounds like a wonderful film.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

JEEVES420 posted:

:rip:

My housemate is terrified of Ebola. We're in Ireland and there was one "suspected" case in Donegal (it came to nothing) and the news broke the day he was like 10 miles from the Donegal border and he came home hilariously terrified. People are stupid about Ebola.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Shannonmcn posted:

People are stupid

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

It's October, whores! Girlfriend and I just finished some pizza and wings, and watched "Trick 'r Treat". It's amazing. If you like Halloween, watch it! Drinking craft beer we brought home, and about to start on bourbon. So, give us movie recommendations!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The girl is in WI, and texted me a picture of a liquor store shelf. She just found the mother-load of Southern Tier creme brulee. That poo poo is inbound come tomorrow afternoon.

Yessssssssssssssssss.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Friday night, a lady friend stopped by with her kiddo to hang out and check on me, and told me that the kid can't stop talking about fair food. We spent some time thinking about it and made Luther burgers and are contemplating deep fried gummy bears. I'm pretty sure her mom hates me now

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Sitting outside on my porch patio smoking a cigar and listening to Coast to Coast AM. Not really bachelor, but just a good manly evening. Going to go in later and fire up Shadow of Mordor after I take a poop.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Vrikkian posted:

Sitting outside on my porch patio smoking a cigar and listening to Coast to Coast AM. Not really bachelor, but just a good manly evening. Going to go in later and fire up Shadow of Mordor after I take a poop.

Coast to Coast is seriously the best comedy on the radio.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

10 Beers posted:

It's October, whores! Girlfriend and I just finished some pizza and wings, and watched "Trick 'r Treat". It's amazing. If you like Halloween, watch it! Drinking craft beer we brought home, and about to start on bourbon. So, give us movie recommendations!

I think I'm starting with Critters and Nightmare on Elm St. What are you looking for? For goofy and weird I don't know that you'll do much better than Troll 2 on accident or Detention on purpose.

Speaking of which Friday chat is up and running:
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gyawtxlyqrm747pmhc35rqbqm4a?hl=en

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I just realized that it's that magical time of year between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Time to head into the mountains and find an apple orchard, pick apples, and make Cinnamon Apple Whiskey!

Edit: yes, that's what I do. It's bachelor, right? I'm preparing for winter!

CaptainCrunch has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Oct 4, 2014

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I think I'm starting with Critters and Nightmare on Elm St. What are you looking for? For goofy and weird I don't know that you'll do much better than Troll 2 on accident or Detention on purpose.

Speaking of which Friday chat is up and running:
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gyawtxlyqrm747pmhc35rqbqm4a?hl=en

Oh god, I remember watching that with you and Lindsay. All I wanted to do was sleep, a but I couldn't stop watching.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

The lady and I are drinking Hornsby's hard cider and I made a p awesome chicken and asparagus risotto. We watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (I thought it was pretty good, honestly) since it's October and yaaaaasssss I love this whole month. It was a little warm today but Portland has been gorgeous these past couple weeks. Unfortunately it's not our Friday since we work Tuesday-Saturday so we can't really get shithoused.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm going out to get sloshed and touch a butt.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
^^^touch all the butts^^^

I don't usually use hangouts, can I just join with text? No one wants to see my drunk rear end at the loud bar on campus.

Circuitjerky
Mar 17, 2006
Anything with Jameson is really a good idea. Irish whiskey of bust.

Porter Flounder
May 10, 2005

I <3 Kitano
Is the Hangouts dead?!

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Circuitjerky posted:

Anything with Jameson is really a good idea. Irish whiskey of bust.

Jameson and Bailey's is goddamn amazing.

Circuitjerky
Mar 17, 2006
Like I said, Jameson and anything really. Need a good start to the day? A nip of Jameson in a large ice coffee.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kahlua in coffee, it's a good way to start the day as well as finish it.

Gun Metal Grey
Jul 30, 2006

Inspired by true events on movie screens.
While this weekend's plan is most likely just solo drinking to football, next weekend is a long one (thanks for something Columbus) so I'm shooting up to Boston for the birthday of the first of my friends to cross over to the *other* side of 25. With that said I have a couple of questions regarding my "gift" to my Bostonians...

How long does the aforementioned-in-this-thread Apple Pie need to sit? Is it going to be like when I made Irish Cream, where I could drink it straight away but it'll be better the longer it muddles, or does it have a definite "rest" time?

Is the definitive recommendation straining it so it doesn't get too cinnamon-y?

And now the saddest question, what's the best substitute for the grain alcohol? It's near-impossible to find anything really high proof in my area of NY and as much as I want to accomplish this, I don't want to spend this weekend criss-crossing state/county lines just for a 750 of pain. That isn't to say I'm not going to look, but I'd rather have a backup ready.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm going out to get sloshed and touch a butt.

Remember folks, if it ain't consensual butt touchin', it ain't poo poo!

Unless you're touching your own butt, then touch all you want.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

Remember folks, if it ain't consensual butt touchin', it ain't poo poo!

Unless you're touching your own butt, then touch all you want.

OF course it was consensual, what am I, a fratboy?

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Gun Metal Grey posted:

How long does the aforementioned-in-this-thread Apple Pie need to sit? Is it going to be like when I made Irish Cream, where I could drink it straight away but it'll be better the longer it muddles, or does it have a definite "rest" time?

Is the definitive recommendation straining it so it doesn't get too cinnamon-y?

And now the saddest question, what's the best substitute for the grain alcohol? It's near-impossible to find anything really high proof in my area of NY and as much as I want to accomplish this, I don't want to spend this weekend criss-crossing state/county lines just for a 750 of pain. That isn't to say I'm not going to look, but I'd rather have a backup ready.

Straining isn't necessary. You will want to shake the container before drinking it each time. Just like apple cider by itself, poo poo naturally settles to the bottom. If you're not big on cinnamon, just drop in a couple sticks while it's on the heat and take them out pretty quickly. That's what I did last time. As soon as everything is mixed in and chilled, it's good to go. Wait till it's cool to mix in the alcohol, then give it a few more hours for all of it to cool some more in the fridge, and that's it.
And uhh, I'd suggest a road trip to find some Everclear/other grain alcohol. I can't imagine that it will be that difficult to find it. I wouldn't risk substituting something else. I could imagine vodka would make it turn out pretty bad.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Don't they sell a ~150 proof version of everclear in states where they can't sell the full ~190 version?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
They don't sell it at all in the UK. Going to have to get in touch with my local friendly farmer, that recipe sounds awesome. Going to try it with Old Rosie, expect to get thoroughly hosed up

Gun Metal Grey
Jul 30, 2006

Inspired by true events on movie screens.

EXAKT Science posted:

Don't they sell a ~150 proof version of everclear in states where they can't sell the full ~190 version?

This is what I ended up finding, not the 190 but 150, which should do the job nicely. Making it in a matter of minutes, will trip report later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EXAKT Science posted:

I don't know if there's a 150 proof Everclear, but in college the highest we could get was a 160 proof brand called Devil's Spring.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
sucked a man's dick and drank the cum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know if there's a 150 proof Everclear, but in college the highest we could get was a 160 proof brand called Devil's Spring.

They do in Florida atleast. They also sell 153 "Diesel", which actually makes Natty Light taste better if you pour a half a shot into it after opening.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Saturday night chat is go: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g5sczxjf67kdqibzuawb2nhe7qa?hl=en

Porter Flounder posted:

Is the Hangouts dead?!

Friday hangouts are usually a little bit slower because people go out or have something to do in the morning. I was last man standing at 11:30 and called it quits, though I guess that's only 8:30 pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dregan posted:

They don't sell it at all in the UK. Going to have to get in touch with my local friendly farmer, that recipe sounds awesome. Going to try it with Old Rosie, expect to get thoroughly hosed up

They don't sell Everclear at all in Australia, but they do sell Spirytus, a Polish rectified spirit, at 95% ABV. You can definitely get it in the UK, but you might need to shop around.

Yes, it's that expensive here. We get taxed based on the alcohol content of what we drink, the exact wording is that excise is base on the "volume of alcohol calculated by multiplying the actual volume of product by its alcoholic strength". So that sort of stuff murders you at the checkout.

Still going to make some Apple Pie next Autumn.

edit: quoted the wrong post.

Memento has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Oct 5, 2014

• Locked thread