Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

No thanks on that flashback thread. This is the muslim group he was part in making: http://muslimerforfred.org/

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svenska_muslimer_f%C3%B6r_fred_och_r%C3%A4ttvisa

They sound just awful! ewie.

I like how you dismiss that thread directly.

As for Kaplan, he has been a member of Sveriges Muslimska Råd, closely affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood. This is the same organisation that Helena Benaouda was chairman for.
She is known for saying that there are no islamists in Sweden. Meanwhile her daughter is married to Munir Awad and they were both captured on trips to Somalia and Afghanistan along with Mehmet Ghezali, the former Guantanamo detainee. Munir Awad now spends his time in Danish prison after his attempted terroristattack on Jyllandsposten.
Kaplan was also a member of SUM, an organisation that consistently have invited antisemites and other extremists.

As for your organisation name, well, the Church of Scientology does the same thing and it really says nothing. As an example we have MMRK (Muslimska Mänskliga Rättighetskommittén).
http://magasinetneo.se/artiklar/lat-islamisterna-bilda-ett-eget-parti/
These organisations and other are connected in a web, which is detailed in the thread I supplied.

You don't see a problem when islamists form organisations that present themselves as spokespersons for all muslims, when they in reality only are spokespersons for a small minority?

Svartvit posted:

Can you back this up by something other than a thread on a notoriously islamophobic web forum?

That thread stands on its own, if you would have bothered to read the latter parts. That thread is basically a compilation of news regarding islamist organisations in Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Cardiac posted:

That thread stands on its own, if you would have bothered to read the latter parts. That thread is basically a compilation of news regarding islamist organisations in Sweden.
No, I can't bother to read the Flashback thread. I thought that since you made the claim here and not there then you knew of the information and could share it with us. Is your best case that Kaplan was spokesperson for an organization whose chairman's daughter's husband is a Muslim extremist? Because I don't know myself, but I see the accusation used a lot and I am very sceptical of it.

*edit: The accusation being the Muslim Brotherhood accusation.

Svartvit fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 3, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What are the various sources that prove that SD flings poo poo at Bah, some kind of political manifest or program from SD against Bah, which can be found online perhaps?

Also nobody is backing up the claims that SD "hates" Kaplan because he is a muslim or that SD thinks he will erect mosques in every corner.

Sounds to me people are just making assumptions, which might be a tad biased!

edit:

Svartvit posted:

No, I can't bother to read the Flashback thread. I thought that since you made the claim here and not there then you knew of the information and could share it with us. Is your best case that Kaplan was spokesperson for an organization whose chairman's daughter's husband is a Muslim extremist? Because I don't know myself, but I see the accusation used a lot and I am very sceptical of it.

Nice to hear people don't believe in stuff like guilt by association :)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 3, 2014

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Ligur posted:

What are the various sources that prove that SD flings poo poo at Bah, some kind of political manifest or program from SD against Bah, which can be found online perhaps?

Also nobody is backing up the claims that SD "hates" Kaplan because he is a muslim or that SD thinks he will erect mosques in every corner.

Sounds to me people are just making assumptions, which might be a tad biased!

edit:

Nice to hear people don't believe in stuff like guilt by association :)
Yeah maybe people will start to provide sources to you when you actually read poo poo we've already responded to instead of ignore it and post more stupid poo poo instead and repeat the process.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rutkowski posted:

Yeah maybe people will start to provide sources to you when you actually read poo poo we've already responded to instead of ignore it and post more stupid poo poo instead and repeat the process.

LOL Rutkowski. I haven't discussed Bah or Kaplan before that post. You know that. What, exactly, have I ignored?

You wrote that 15-25 years ago Bah "received poo poo", yes, I read that. I can believe it though the only source is your words. However how does it mean or prove SD as some kind of a bulk (do you tend to group people because of their, say, political or religious beliefs?) hates her today.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I'm talking about the thread in general and your shitposting in it.

And poor attempt at concern trolling, go back to 4chan.

(oh and calling people who vote for SD racists isn't out of line because they're voting for a racist party)

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 3, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is/Was this an actual SD poster?
Using vikings in your political slogans and imagery is not only silly, it's also jumping feet first into the nazi pool.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Rutkowski posted:

Back in the 90's she was pretty much the only celebrity that spoke of the (non-bonehead and nazi)racism in Sweden in media and got a *lot* of poo poo for it. Had a hidden adress and 24/7 police protection for a while. She was, as such, one of the primary targets for shitflinging from the right(including SD) up until 2001-ish or so where muslims got the majority of poo poo, even if she still got quite a bit for a number of years.

I have literally no recollection of any of this, and can't find any sources for anything you are claiming online.
That doesn't necessarily mean that you are wrong but the following search terms:

alice bah hemlig address
alice bah poliseskort
alice bah sverigedemokraterna

Comes up with absolutely nothing strengthening any of your claims.

edit: Hey, I actually found this after digging for a while:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=91&artikel=17389

Guess I was wrong then. I must have totally missed it, which I guess isn't that weird.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Getting really angry when confronted with different views. Demanding "sources" (of course, not believing them if provided any). Posts constantly contain cursing if not discussing with only like-minded posters. Quickly reduced to demanding other posters leave the thread/forum and go back to revleft/stormfront/4chan/imgur/SA if not like-minded. Ad hominen attacks from day one. After faced with obviously conflicting questions or facts, locks up, followed by refusal to respond further, just internet shouting or other accusations.

Yeah, that's a left- wing or right-wing fanatic on the internet. (Or a religious fundie or super-atheist on you a Youtube comments rampage.)

I wonder if Rutkowski has ever considered he is, when it comes to politics, perhaps just as bad as the most crackpot right-wingers roaming various forums and voting SD or whatever. He's basically their mirror image, just stands on exactly the opposite side of the Swedish political spectrum.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

^^not a fan of dumb shitposting that's nothing but thinly disguised concern trolling, that's all. And not a fan of racist apologists and not ashamed of it either.

Randarkman posted:

Is/Was this an actual SD poster?
Using vikings in your political slogans and imagery is not only silly, it's also jumping feet first into the nazi pool.

It's from the 90's and were used by them, yeah.

Buffis posted:

I have literally no recollection of any of this, and can't find any sources for anything you are claiming online.
That doesn't necessarily mean that you are wrong but the following search terms:

alice bah hemlig address
alice bah poliseskort
alice bah sverigedemokraterna

Comes up with absolutely nothing strengthening any of your claims.
Threats:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=91&artikel=20346

And with the 24/7 police protection, I ment her home(as is standard for non-politicians). It also, like all police protection, weren't over a lengthy amount of time but rather over more intensive periods of threats.

Secret adress:

The campaign against her was mostly unorganized but were discussed a lot on Nordisk.nu during its heyday(which I had access to a number of moderator and regular users' accounts between 2000-2006, roughly. Not entirely sure on the dates) and pages likes info14(now part of Realisten that just shut down activity) and patriot.nu(now nordfront.se) posted poo poo about her pretty regurarly.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 3, 2014

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Rutkowski posted:

Threats:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=91&artikel=20346

And with the 24/7 police protection, I ment her home(as is standard for non-politicians). It also, like all police protection, weren't over a lengthy amount of time but rather over more intensive periods of threats.

Secret adress:

The campaign against her was mostly unorganized but were discussed a lot on Nordisk.nu during its heyday(which I had access to a number of moderator and regular users' accounts between 2000-2006, roughly. Not entirely sure on the dates) and pages likes info14(now part of Realisten that just shut down activity) and patriot.nu(now nordfront.se) posted poo poo about her pretty regurarly.

Yeah, you beat me by a few seconds before I made my edit regarding link two. I had totally missed it, but I guess it was not big news in the media, and I did not hang out at nordisk.nu cause why the gently caress would I do that ;)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Buffis posted:

Yeah, you beat me by a few seconds before I made my edit regarding link two. I had totally missed it, but I guess it was not big news in the media, and I did not hang out at nordisk.nu cause why the gently caress would I do that ;)
Yeah it wasn't really huge national news because national news had the dumb idea that if you don't tell people about racism it doesn't exists.

And I hung out at nordisk.nu at accounts that were not mine, if we put it that way. ;) I've kept track of fascist movements, webpages, individuals and activities since I was 13 so I guess my perspective on well-known and unknown when it comes to their activities might be a bit warped.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 3, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
He's from much worse place than that: the Finnish-thread

Also what's wrong with Vikings? We Finns are proud of our (non-existent) Viking heritage!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
"Thinly veiled" or "thinly disguised" are probably the favourite phrases of angry (left-wing) political posters, along with the word "literally". Look it up! Also didn't know what concern trolling is before, cool!

I'll attempt a concern troll:

"Shouldn't you guys watch you out you don't become what you are fighting against?"

Was it good?

Actually what I said about political fanatics or the extremes being basically the same crazies, just on different sides of the fence, isn't a rare sentiment amongst people who don't lean particularly far to the left, right, north or south, and follow, mouth wide open, as the political extremes go at each others throats. I wouldn't count saying that out loud as trolling particularly, though of course it will anger someone. The people in the greatest islamophobe forum in Finland when I told them they sound just like the left-wing loonies and islamophiles they oppose didn't appreciate it much either. Though I haven't been to that echo chamber in years and years; it makes the head hurt in excess.

So, umm, I'm in a sweet spot, nobody likes me?

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 3, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

adhuin posted:

He's from much worse place than that: the Finnish-thread

Also what's wrong with Vikings? We Finns are proud of our (non-existent) Viking heritage!

Well, they might have been a bunch of highly destructive pirates who pillaged, raped and enslaved people throughout northern and eastern europe for about 200 years to put it simply. But that's not really it, the problem is that the people who use vikings and such as an ideal and use them in political imagery and such tend to be of the slightly fascist persuasion or at least that's the implication because of the history of who have admired vikings and how. So nothing wrong with vikings in and of themselves (except for what's pointed out in my first sentence), it's just when you mix them up in politics, I guess you get what I'm trying to say.

e: Also, if anything you Finns were the victims of Vikings. Though, I guess time heals all wounds.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

It's also pretty much the time in (at least) Swedish history where even the "great" got hosed sideways. Gustav Vasa was a tyrant and it's pretty commonly known, Gustav II Adolf got killed fighting a war that made Sweden infamous for their brutalities in central Europe, Karl XII was a moron who is still celebrated for the work others did that he claimed as his own and after that there's been no true paragon kings for fascists to admire. The only royalty that was somewhat admirable was queen Kristina who rebuilt Swedish economy, pushed for cultural education and was considered back then a fair ruler(for a woman!).

Of course she abdicated without any heir, converted to Catholicism(that her father spent his life combating) and moved to Rome. Oh, and her big cultural impact was inviting Decartes who promtly got sick and died in Sweden due to the flu(or cold, sources disagree) almost immediatly after arriving.

Also, to celebrate 30 November(Karl XII day) amongst fascists is reminding them of how they got beaten up and humiliated pretty much every time they tried to hold a rally in Lund to honor the date so even that is somewhat touchy.

So, what remain is the pre-Vasa kings(who were either incompetent, short-reigned or just made up AND who were catholic) or Vikings. Since the main street action nazi group SMR is pro-paganism, worshipping international culture icons Vikings is an easy choise.

EDIT: Also, the vikings weren't as much raiders as traders during their heyday. They did raid and comitted a lot of atrocities but trade was their prime source of income.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Insignia of 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking :black101:

Mostly recruited from volunteers in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, and some others.

Rutkowski posted:

EDIT: Also, the vikings weren't as much raiders as traders during their heyday. They did raid and comitted a lot of atrocities but trade was their prime source of income.

IIRC also, farmers, but when there wasn't much free arable land to acquire in Scandinavia, well, why not raid and pillage then.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Ligur posted:

So, umm, I'm in a sweet spot, nobody likes me?
Yes, nobody likes you because you pull some kinda stupid "The truth is in the middle" South Park esque poo poo. I guess it's nice to think you don't really care? While still running with SD talking points like
"Gang rapists in bushes"?

Again nobody's convincing anybody on either side here, can we move on?

I'm really sad to see S going back on the promise to reinstate higher sales tax on restaurants, it's such and idiotic idea that only serves to give more money to restaurant. I mean not that's necessarily a bad thing, it just does very little in what it was supposed to do, creating jobs.
Oh and motherfucking called it...

White Rock posted:

The election seems more or less a given for the reds, my only fear is that S will be unwilling to act on any of the issues due to fear of backlash.

I suspect that big media campaign from the restaurant lobby had something to do with it. Combined with C's big lift from the beginning of the year i get the feeling that the amount of money you put in your marketing matters more then what is actually true, which is a really sad idea in general.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rutkowski posted:

I guess I'm operating with the Saga definiton that viking is specifically warriors who go off on a (pirate) expedition, rather than meaning "viking" to mean Scandinavian peoples in general during that time. Alot of Scandinavians during this time period were on the move for various reasons, though population increase and lack of arable land seems to be a big one, far more people travelled to the British isles as settlers than as raiders for example and made their way way in the world through trade (though it should be kept in mind that pretty much the most valuable trade good they acquired were slaves who were sold to Byzantium and the Islamic world).

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Randarkman posted:

e: Also, if anything you Finns were the victims of Vikings. Though, I guess time heals all wounds.

It's easy to forget, as their descendants were the real assholes with their Crusades and Force-Converting Finns to Christianity.
Compared to them, the Vikings were just Bros making surprise visits occasionally. :D

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

White Rock posted:

I'm really sad to see S going back on the promise to reinstate higher sales tax on restaurants, it's such and idiotic idea that only serves to give more money to restaurant. I mean not that's necessarily a bad thing, it just does very little in what it was supposed to do, creating jobs.

You need to look at it from a practical perspective. S aren't going back on it as much as they're completely screwing MP by agreeing to back off. With the current situation in the riksdag that proposal was never making it beyond a vote anyways, Meanwhile MP traded away some questions they actually could block for S to publicly announce that something that didn't have a chance of happening within this term isn't happening in this term.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 3, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Nynorsk is actually not a dialect, it is exclusively a written language :eng101:

Huh, I knew some about the origins of Nynorsk but I didn't know it was only written. That's some crazy nation building but also kinda cool, making dialects "official" like that.

Speaking of nation building, I think viking culture is a nationalist symbol more than anything. I have a pen knife my grandfather got from his service during WW2 (a whole other can of worms, there) with a viking dragon pattern on it. Not sure why 19th century people settled on presenting this long-dead pagan culture as our origins but here we are with our horned helmets and fascist propaganda posters. Still, now that culture is on the subject so often, it's interesting to speculate on whether such an old culture have any meaningful bond to our own present-day one.

Also, the finns and balts got hosed over twice. After the vikings converted to christianity they sailed over the Baltic Sea, this time as crusaders. Sort of like the old pillaging and raping but sanctioned by the church. :v:

Fake edit: I sure take a long time writing my replies! Edit2: No, the SA clock is just hosed up, thought I missed adhuins reply by an our.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Still, now that culture is on the subject so often, it's interesting to speculate on whether such an old culture have any meaningful bond to our own present-day one.

Theres the Thing. The government in Iceland was originally started by vikings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althing

Håvamål shows that maybe our culture and theirs wasn't all that different:
A better burden can no man bear
on the way than his mother wit;
'tis the refuge of the poor, and richer it seems
than wealth in a world untried.

A better burden can no man bear
on the way than his mother wit:
and no worse provision can he carry with him
than too deep a draught of ale.

The pine tree wastes which is perched on the hill,
nor bark nor needles shelter it;
such is the man whom none doth love;
for what should he longer live?

Fed and washed should one ride to court
though in garments none too new;
thou shalt not shame thee for shoes or breeks,
nor yet for a sorry steed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Havamal owns. #77 is the best. :colbert:

In other news I've updated the OP and PM'ed a mod to ask for a title change. I sorta efforted out on it, if you want to improve on it feel free to :justpost:

In even further other news Cornucopia has gone into a complete meltdown and is posting about emigrating due to Löfven instantly turning us into the USSR or something. Never change, libertarians.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 3, 2014

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Hahaha Lars Wilderäng, that's one sucker I had totally forgotten.

EDIT: His second most recent blog post is literally titled: "In the (S)ovjet Union there was no unemployment either."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheFluff posted:

In other news I've updated the OP and PM'ed a mod to ask for a title change. I sorta efforted out on it, if you want to improve on it feel free to :justpost:

I was thinking of offering to slightly edit my old OP for the Norwegian Parliamentary Election thread from last year, but I can't seem to find it. If you want to I could do a short write up on the Norwegian political scene for the OP, which, especially if I can locate my old OP, should be a matter of very little effort.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Randarkman posted:

I was thinking of offering to slightly edit my old OP for the Norwegian Parliamentary Election thread from last year, but I can't seem to find it. If you want to I could do a short write up on the Norwegian political scene for the OP, which, especially if I can locate my old OP, should be a matter of very little effort.
I think it's the one I got banned in, should be in my rap sheet. I'll check.

EDIT: Nope, was in 2009. drat my perspective of time sucks.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Randarkman posted:

Go for it!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

This is all you need to know about the Norwegian political scene:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alhazred posted:

This is all you need to know about the Norwegian political scene:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Our new minister of culture reveals possible military ambitions, next to the leader of the Kalle Anka Party

I am not sure my body is ready for this level of :ducksiren:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheFluff posted:

In even further other news Cornucopia has gone into a complete meltdown and is posting about emigrating due to Löfven instantly turning us into the USSR or something. Never change, libertarians.

What is a Cornucopia? Some sort of crazy Swedish blogger?

It's not an irregular symptom of various kooks to proclaim they will emigrate to some other... place when things don't go their way. Not that they ever do. (Even though many people probably wish for them to.)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

And now we're going to recognise the state of Palestine. A publicity stunt maybe but it's nice hearing stuff like this from your government.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ligur posted:

What is a Cornucopia? Some sort of crazy Swedish blogger?

It's not an irregular symptom of various kooks to proclaim they will emigrate to some other... place when things don't go their way. Not that they ever do. (Even though many people probably wish for them to.)

cornucopia
noun
1. Classical Mythology. a horn containing food, drink, etc., in endless supply, said to have been a horn of the goat Amalthaea.
2. a representation of this horn, used as a symbol of abundance.
3. an abundant, overflowing supply.
4. a horn-shaped or conical receptacle or ornament.

He's a blogger and author of some novels, yeah. He has a ton of readers and is probably Sweden's most read political blogger. He used to be this weird mix between libertarian and almost socialdemocratic a few years ago, and wrote a bunch of sorta interesting stuff about peak oil, the limits of economic growth, medborgarlön, environment issues, living sustainably etc. The last year or so though he's just been getting steadily crazier and now he just rants incoherently about socialists, municipal oppression (zoning regulations), wolves and feminazis.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

And now we're going to recognise the state of Palestine. A publicity stunt maybe but it's nice hearing stuff like this from your government.
I don't think it's a publicity stunt, I think it's an expression of a genuine will to move on from Persson's opportunism and back to the ideological roots of the party, and probably Löfven himself. Not that it's high on anyone's agenda.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Svartvit posted:

I don't think it's a publicity stunt, I think it's an expression of a genuine will to move on from Persson's opportunism and back to the ideological roots of the party, and probably Löfven himself. Not that it's high on anyone's agenda.
Haha this government is more right-wing than any other S has ever put up, I highly doubt they are "going back to the roots" but rather want to remove any vestige of being a 40% party again by being M-Light.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

Persson had some kind of weird divinely inspired feelings about Israel that Löfven probably doesn't have.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Woke up early with a cold and thought I'd begin doing that write-up. Here's the parties currently in parliament and what I think I know about them. Feel free to point out typos and anything you feel is missing or just wrong.

PARTIES IN THE NORWEGIAN PARLIAMENT

Høyre (Conservative Party) - IN GOVERNMENT
Last election result: 26.8% (48 seats)
Number of mayors: 125/428
Identifier: (H)
Ideology: (neo)liberalism, conservatism (also social democracy, but don’t tell anyone)
Leader: Erna Solberg (prime minister)

Second oldest political party in Norway, originally the party of bureaucrats, monarchists and the traditional upper class, today they are pretty much a typical European conservative party with notable neo-liberal tendencies. Everyone expected them to do well in the last election, and in many ways, they did just that, but they could have done a lot better, chalk it up to a very uneven campaign leading up to the election. Their pet issues are lower taxes, increased centralization and education reform (they tend to favor a school with more tests and surveys and such). The typical Høyre-voter is a wealthy, educated person from one of the larger cities or their suburbs.

Fremskrittspartiet (The Progress Party) - IN GOVERNMENT
Last election result: 16.3% (29 seats)
Number of mayors: 11/428
Identifier: (FrP)
Ideology: liberalism, libertarianism, populism, conservatism, anti-immigration, etc
Leader: Siv Jensen (finance minister)

Founded as “Anders Lange’s Party for a strong reduction in taxes, duties and public intervention” by notable egg liqueur swilling, Viking sword-wielding journalist Anders Lange for exactly the purpose spelled out in its name. They have undergone some changes since then, perhaps most notably a name change, and have been most notable for their anti-immigration rethoric (particularly as regards Muslims) in the last two decades. Two elections back they were the second largest party in parliament but have lost a lot of votes to Høyre recently, possibly because their current leader Siv Jensen does not possess nearly as much firebrand outrageousness as former leader Carl I. Hagen or other party personalities such as Per Sandberg (build a wall in Greece to keep out immigrants) and Christian Tybring-Gjedde (rear end in a top hat). They’ve also been remarkably tame in their new minority coalition government with Høyre. Their typical voters are working class and middle class people who are attracted to the promise of reduced immigration and lower taxes and share their anti-elitist bent.

Arbeiderpartiet (The Labor Party)
Last election result: 30.8% (55 seats)
Number of mayors: 155/428
Identifier: (AP)
Ideology: Social democracy (also neo-liberalism)
Leader: Jonas Gahr Støre

Possibly the most influential political party in modern Norwegian history, having had majority governments various times in the post-war years allowed them to shape the country as they saw fit, what Norway is today is inarguably largely their doing. They aren’t quite what they used to be as they haven’t been able to win clear majorities in elections since the ‘90s and their two-term coalition partnership starting in 2005 with Sp and SV was the first time they ever led a coalition government. I’d say that their new leader Jonas Gahr Støre is the perfect example of what you get when you vote for AP; a competent, reliable, stern statesman with a pragmatist streak and a little bit of charm. In most ways however AP is a center-left party that like most other labor parties in Europe have adopted quite a bit of neo-liberalism in the last two decades, they also remain supporters of Norwegian NATO membership and are usually proponents of increased centralization. Their typical voters are basically anyone not likely to vote for any of the other parties, but immigrants (when they actually vote) are likely to vote for them as are many unionized workers (they have a very close relationship with Norwegian LO).

Venstre (Liberal Party)
Last election result: 5.2% (9 seats)
Number of mayors: 10/428
Identifier: (V)
Ideology: Social liberalism (with a certain libertarian streak), environmentalism
Leader: Trine Skei Grande

Norway’s oldest political party, starting out as the party favoring increased local autonomy and expansion of voting rights. They’ve undergone quite a few changes ever since then, fracturing several times to give birth to splinter parties and are today mostly notable for being almost completely irrelevant. They have been somewhat notable in the past years for their refusal to work with FrP on most issues, they went back on this after the last election, saying that their support of the new minority coalition government would allow the party to implement policies that they favor and such. Their voters are few, and are mostly in the large cities and I believe they are usually young and educated (or students).

Senterpartiet (Center Party)
Last election result: 5.5% (10 seats)
Number of mayors: 94/428
Identifier: (Sp)
Ideology: Centrism, agrarianism, EU-skepticism, nationalism (of the older romanticist bent)
Leader: Trine Skei Grande

Originally known as Bondepartiet (the Farmers’ Party), representing the interests of Norwegian farmers, they might also have formed the core of what became Nasjonal Samling (Norway’s Nazi Party before and during WWII, but nevermind that). Their primary issues include keeping Norway as far away from the EU as possible (they mobilized a lot of support when the country voted on whether to join the union or not), keeping the countryside alive and populated, preserving Norwegian agriculture and local industry and killing every last wolf and bear remaining in the country. They haven’t done particularly well in recent elections but they have a staunch core of supporters located in the west and south of the country and are likely to remain kind-of-sorta-relevant, particularly in local politics. Also kind of notorious for being very mercenary in who they will work with to achieve their ends, though recently they had an internal debate about whether to stick with the Red-Greens or seek closer relations to the Blues. Their typical voter is someone employed in agriculture or living far out in the districts.

Kristelig Folkeparti (Christian Democratic Party)
Last election result: 5.6% (10 seats)
Number of mayors: 19/428
Identifier: (Krf)
Ideology: Christian democracy
Leader: Knut Arild Hareide

They’ve been a fixture of Norwegian politics since 1945, particularly due to their consistent support from voters in Norway’s Bible belt, though they aren’t even close to the force they almost were during the ‘90s under Kjell Magne Bondevik (who was prime minister). Think of them like the typical Christian democrats; they like the social welfare parts of social democracy well enough and are generally in favoring of extending such policies and offering increased aid to developing countries, they have also in the past supported policies that pay women to be stay-at-home moms (though I believe they’ve abandoned that), and are opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage. They like to think of themselves as “non-socialist” rather than “bourgeois” (“borgerlig” is the standard moniker for the Norwegian right-wing). They support the current minority coalition government of H and FrP, initially gaining concessions in the form of introducing measures that would allow doctors to refrain from recommending abortion clinics and such (after this turned out to be very unpopular across the spectrum, they backpedalled). Their voters are Christians from the Bible belt, pure and simple.

Sosialistisk Venstreparti (Socialst Left Party)
Last election result: 4.1% (7 seats)
Number of mayors: 3/428
Identifier: (SV)
Ideology: Socialism, feminism, environmentalism, that whole thing
Leader: Audun Lysbakken

Formed as an offshoot of AP when many members and voters opposed their entry into and support of NATO. SV aims to represent a left-wing alternative to AP. They recently came out of their first ever turn at government and looked poised for a disastrous election, and things didn’t go that well, but they could certainly have been a lot worse. They might be able to pull themselves back up as they have always been the quintessential opposition party, but as for now they will have to deal with less seats in parliament than they’ve had in a long time and losing environmentalist votes to MDG. One of their core issues has been education where they are in direct opposition to Høyre’s vision of the ideal school being one of tests and surveys, they are also one of the most outspoken feminist parties in parliament. Typical voters are educated women, teachers and students.

Miljøpartiet De Grønne (Green Party)
Last election result: 2.8% (1 seat)
Number of mayors: 0/428
Identifier: (MDG)
Ideology: Green
Leaders/Spokespersons: Hilde Opoku and Rasmus Hansson

The Green movement is kind of a new thing in Norwegian politics, environmentalism has mostly been split between SV and V and the party had no presence in parliament until last year’s election had them gain enough votes in Oslo to gain a single seat. They say that they do not see politics in terms of Red and Blue (that’s left and right), but “Green and Grey”, they want society to be locally self-sufficient and all that stuff, people expect them to co-operate with the Red-Greens in the future, as they already do in Trondheim’s city council. Other than that they are currently just the one guy in parliament, their voters I would guess are mostly the same people who would vote for SV or V but who consider environmentalism to be far more important than other issues those parties represent.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Choppable posted:

Persson had some kind of weird divinely inspired feelings about Israel that Löfven probably doesn't have.

As he was a long time fan of bullying others I bet Persson could relate to Israel on a personal level.

• Locked thread