Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No 2H polearms, perpetual pancaking, or other broken bullshit obviously.

You guys live in a different world than I do if you actually think melee only is as easy as using magic or abusing a bow to get through all the hard parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

No 2H polearms, perpetual pancaking, or other broken bullshit obviously.

+5 Crushing Guillotine Axe. No need for gimmicks, power is all you need.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're contradicting yourself when you say melee is harder but ignore the best melee options. Magic is definitely safer though.

Also it's really dumb to say "you haven't beaten this game unless you do [insert arbitrary bullshit here]".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Or just use the Meat Cleaver. Or BBS. or Northern Regalia.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That's (by that I mean the Guillotine Axe, obviously not the meat cleaver) fair setup.

=====

Best King's Field is 2.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 27, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

That's a fair setup.

=====

Best King's Field is 2.

Japanese or English 2? You're wrong either way tho

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're contradicting yourself when you say melee is harder but ignore the best melee options. Magic is definitely safer though.

Also it's really dumb to say "you haven't beaten this game unless you do [insert arbitrary bullshit here]".

I'm not sure you know what contradicting means. Magic is still easier than 2H Blessed Mirdan or whatever other weapon you think is better than that. There are weapons you can abuse to make melee easy, but never as easy as infinite blue lasers and firestorm.

The melee prescription isn't arbitrary. The game is designed and balanced almost totally around melee combat.

Genocyber posted:

Japanese or English 2? You're wrong either way tho

English. And if you say 4 is the best I will lose faith in the world.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 27, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well then you're doubly wrong. King's Field 2 (or King's Field in the US) is much better than 3/2. And both pale in comparison to the greatness of 4.

Also 2handed Mirdan Hammer is objectively the strongest thing in the game, and way more powerful the magic except maybe in a few cases like Flamelurker.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Geno noooooo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'll never understand the decision to make KF4 so drat slow moving, especially after Eternal Ring.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of melee only, I finished up my run as a great sword wielding fool, but never found the pure greystone I'd need to push it to crushing +5. Is the only way to get the stone (in one playthrough, I understand you get one if you have pure white in 2-3? I didn't have it though :()to farm the rock worms in 2-2 endlessly?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IIRC yeah. It's not that rare of a drop; not nearly as bad as pure bladestone at any rate.

The freebie you get is if you show the Dragon Bone Smasher (which you get in 3-3 if you got PWWT) to Scirvir in 3-2.

e: Apropos of nothing

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 27, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

IIRC yeah. It's not that rare of a drop; not nearly as bad as pure bladestone at any rate.

The freebie you get is if you show the Dragon Bone Smasher (which you get in 3-3 if you got PWWT) to Scirvir in 3-2.

e: Apropos of nothing

I know exactly where that chest is.

How the squid guys with the killable heads haven't made it back into Demon's or Dark yet I have no loving idea.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Mimics ain't got poo poo on folding chest skeletons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

lordfrikk posted:

Mimics ain't got poo poo on folding chest skeletons.

My favorite one is in the Path of Thieves in King's Field 2 (3 in Japan). There's a wide hallway with a bunch of pendulums swinging back and for across it. At the end of each safe spot between pendulums there's a narrow bit with a chest. They're all empty except for one in the middle with a skeleton two handing a huge scimitar. Even if you know it's there and back up it does that jumping lunge attack and gets you anyway because you can't move sideways without getting juggled by pendulums for like a minute straight. It's awesome and usually ends up being better in the long run to use healing items while being juggled by pendulums if you fall for this. :3:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Picked up Demon's Souls because it was cheap and I'm pretty well done/fed up with Dark Souls II for a while. I'm sad now that I had been missing out all this time. I haven't gotten very far in (beat the Phalanx and have made it to the boss in every other area) but so far I'm enjoying it way more than either Dark game. I was worried about it feeling old, but I actually appreciate how no-frills the combat is compared to II, and the inventory weight limit has never once been a problem. It actually lessens the sting of dying, because then I have a chance to dump all my stuff on Thomas.

Are there any critical tips I should know? I know that Luck is basically worthless and that I shouldn't worry too much about World Tendency first time out. I'm still trying to make heads and tails of the upgrade system, right now I've got a Falchion +5 and I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Honestly just look up how the upgrade system works and read the wikis on it. The game does nothing to explain it to you, and there's some weird stuff that you won't notice if you're coming from DkS.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

SkeletonHero posted:

Picked up Demon's Souls because it was cheap and I'm pretty well done/fed up with Dark Souls II for a while. I'm sad now that I had been missing out all this time. I haven't gotten very far in (beat the Phalanx and have made it to the boss in every other area) but so far I'm enjoying it way more than either Dark game. I was worried about it feeling old, but I actually appreciate how no-frills the combat is compared to II, and the inventory weight limit has never once been a problem. It actually lessens the sting of dying, because then I have a chance to dump all my stuff on Thomas.

Are there any critical tips I should know? I know that Luck is basically worthless and that I shouldn't worry too much about World Tendency first time out. I'm still trying to make heads and tails of the upgrade system, right now I've got a Falchion +5 and I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake.

I started replaying DeS after being disappointed with DS2, and completely fell in love with it all over again. Such an amazing game.

Don't be afraid to check out a weapons upgrade faq, because it can can save you a lot of time and materials. Weapon upgrading is different than the Dark Souls games, in that you don't always need to pump things up to level 10 to upgrade them. One of the best weapons in the game can be made simply by finding a great club and using a boss soul on it.

And luck isn't completely useless. If you're going for a platinum trophy, it will help you obtain those ultra-rare pure stones. My favorite weapon scales damage with luck, and under the right circumstances, it can potentially be the most powerful weapon in the game.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

EC posted:

Honestly just look up how the upgrade system works and read the wikis on it. The game does nothing to explain it to you, and there's some weird stuff that you won't notice if you're coming from DkS.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
As someone who played the game for the first time like 3 weeks ago I'd definitely suggest looking up the crafting paths. Don't be afraid to hop from one world to a different one to see if there are any goodies that might help you when starting out. Archstones (bonfires) are only ever made available upon killing a boss so plan for that. Some enemies are much higher level (so to speak) in terms of HP and damage which doesn't really have any counterpart in Dark Souls 1/2 (except maybe the invaders) and it can catch you off-guard extremely easily. Store everything you don't critically need with Stockpile Thomas (a living item box) because apart from equipment encumbrance there's a item weight limit. This can easily bite you in the rear end when you want to loot an armor and don't have enough space because it will despawn forever if you leave the area. Some weapons are more effective than others against certain enemies so if you suddenly do pitiful amounts of damage try a weapon with different damage type (normal/blunt/slashing/piercing). Get a bow.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Who needs a bow when Soul Arrow is so ridiculously useful?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Who needs a bow when Soul Arrow is so ridiculously useful?
muh melee builds
Using Int builds in this game makes me feel dirty unless I can use the Custard Tornado, and with how the online playerbase is smaller (to my knowledge), that's a slim chance of obtaining it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Oh god, just dupe the materials. The resource farming in DeS is brutal. Each Crystal Lizard has a set number of 'lives'. Unlike Dark souls, if the Lizard escapes this also counts as a 'life'. In Dark souls, the Lizards can be resurrected by the Bonfire until you successfully murder them. In Demon's if the little critter gets away from you, that's it, you lost a chance to get whatever drop he had. You can try again, as the Lizards will respawn for as many bosses as you've beaten in that world, but say you just can't figure out how to get one and it gets away the fifth time, all those materials are lost to you for that play through. It's incredibly punishing.

If you really feel bad about it, do a little research and just dupe the materials that you can buy or something. Even getting those is a pain in the rear end.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Holy poo poo new ring found.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Now just import the Crestfallen Sword and Awakened Pendant from DkS to unlock the broken archstone.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't the font different? Compare "chieftain" and "burden", particularly the T and the E

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Azran posted:

Isn't the font different? Compare "chieftain" and "burden", particularly the T and the E

Yes, it's fake.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
The 6th Archstone revealed at last!

http://youtu.be/8hlEShsDl3U

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

AllisonByProxy posted:

I want to believe

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Gibbed, who I think is Rick here, streamed some of the previously unseen areas from the broken arch stone.

http://www.twitch.tv/gibbed/c/6095041

Source: https://twitter.com/gibbed/status/565566858678763520

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

EC posted:

Gibbed, who I think is Rick here, streamed some of the previously unseen areas from the broken arch stone.
Nah, I'm gibbed here too. Hopefully I can figure out the NPC AI issues, the scripts driving the areas are pretty complicated and make it sound interesting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Its like a mix of Boletaria and Frozen Eleum Loyce.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like a mix of Boletaria and Frozen Eleum Loyce.

Reminded me a lot of environment of the Painted World, though the architecture is different.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Been replaying this. Adjudicator is the weirdest thing. It's like an inside-out Snorlax. The shield is neat though.

A large wooden shield that depicts a brightly colored scene of the deceased being judged. On the other side, an epigram is carved in old script: 'Cowardly acts and the eating of birds must not be the deeds of a Hero of Storms. If the one being judged displeases the Adjudicator's master, the Golden Crow, the deceased soul will be gnawed upon until nothing but their bones remain.' Its user will recover HP a little at a time.

For the first time ever (this is only my third playthrough of DeS) I actually didn't fall straight into the pit on his first attack, and ran around plinking the hatbird with arrows instead. No regrets. I kind of wish its arena was a little more gaudy to match it.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turtlecrunch posted:

Been replaying this. Adjudicator is the weirdest thing. It's like an inside-out Snorlax. The shield is neat though.

A large wooden shield that depicts a brightly colored scene of the deceased being judged. On the other side, an epigram is carved in old script: 'Cowardly acts and the eating of birds must not be the deeds of a Hero of Storms. If the one being judged displeases the Adjudicator's master, the Golden Crow, the deceased soul will be gnawed upon until nothing but their bones remain.' Its user will recover HP a little at a time.

Huh, this kinda reminds me... wasn't there something about Smough eating people in some dark souls item description?

Adjudicator kinda reminds me of Smough now that I think about it. They were both executioners sorta, right?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think Adjudicator is more like Anubis/Ammit from Egyptian mythology, only really fat.

Smough seemed to eat people for the pleasure of it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

King Allant just drained like 7 soul levels from me. Jesus christ, fighting him with fat roll/Great Sword is almost literally impossible. When he gets close and starts comboing you, there is nothing to do, the roll doesn't go far enough to get you out of the attack barrage.

I did beat him with the great sword but only after taking my armor off. The victory wasn't as sweet but those soul level drains were really getting to me.

As a side note, I love how the very large swords handle in DeS compared to DaS. You really feel the weight behind this slab of iron. When we go to DaS 2 people are just swinging these around like they were shortswords!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh, this kinda reminds me... wasn't there something about Smough eating people in some dark souls item description?

Adjudicator kinda reminds me of Smough now that I think about it. They were both executioners sorta, right?

Smough takes the bones of the people he executes and grinds them up for spice. He started doing that primarily to prove he was Hardcore Edgy enough to hand out with the 4 Knights.

That plan didn't work.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Technically speaking, the Adjudicator is just the bird. The fat blob is his helper. That's why you need to hit the top of his head to do any damage to him. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I have had 2 people rage-disconnect this morning when one of the black phantom octopuses outside old monk killed them before they even got to me. Joke's on them I already have the wrappings, I'm just trying to help with Maneaters. :haw:

• Locked thread