Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh that would explain it, I've literally never not gone republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

shalcar posted:

Ludicrous money is a rome 2 specific problem due to the whole limited armies thing, but I'm really not sure they could balance the whole economic system even if they wanted to.

I'm with Kiwi, just let me recruit the eleven million new stacks and finish the game already, because it's already over at that point.

At that point it's time to start bribing countries and building a maxed out Navy just because you can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Koramei posted:

So basically realm divide? Except more gradual. Which is kind of what I think they were trying to do with the like -80 diplomatic modifier you get for imperium levels in Rome 2, I just wish they'd went all the way.

And yeah, bad endgame was hardly unique to Rome 2, and at least with the civil wars... well I dunno maybe I wouldn't call them an improvement. Really only vanilla Shogun 2 and Rise had decent late-games though. And even for those, only on the short campaigns. It's just a problem with how TW works.

Sort of yeah, but as you say more gradual and ideally less similar every time, as with the right set of snowballing modifiers you could rely on the sensitive dependency on inital conditions to quite reliably randomize where your major blocs would form.

I did notice that they've got those modifiers in since EE (not sure if they were there before) but that would just make people hate you, not give them the capacity to work together against you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Koramei posted:

So basically realm divide? Except more gradual.

Well also more fractured. Realm divide basically just turns everyone into one united anti-player bloc. I think the idea here is more alliances of smaller nations that work together to face more powerful foes, which might be the player but also other larger AI controlled nations. Not as predictable and not as one sided as realm divide.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Earwicker posted:

Well also more fractured. Realm divide basically just turns everyone into one united anti-player bloc. I think the idea here is more alliances of smaller nations that work together to face more powerful foes, which might be the player but also other larger AI controlled nations. Not as predictable and not as one sided as realm divide.

Have you played with Realm Divide in FOTS? There's 3 factions, Shogunate, Imperial, and Republican. Instead of you vs the world like in Shogun 2, it's you + your Shogunate / Imperial buddies against the other bastards. The entire first half of the game is the various buildups to the war - you are not prevented from fighting fellow Shogunate factions if you are Shogunate, for instance. This sets up some interesting decisions if a useful ally is in your way. The third option, Republican, lets you have the vanilla Shogun 2 experience where you take on all remaining AIs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rakthar posted:

Have you played with Realm Divide in FOTS? There's 3 factions, Shogunate, Imperial, and Republican. Instead of you vs the world like in Shogun 2, it's you + your Shogunate / Imperial buddies against the other bastards.

No unfortunately FOTS has not been ported to Mac (except for a small handful of FOTS-era standalone battles for some reason). That sounds like a better way of dealing with it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I guess it kind of is, but it also makes it way easier. Even as Republican since they won't be united against you.

Sounds to me like they should just add in EU4's coalition system though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In FOTS I didn't bother with vassals after the first few because they would not immediately flip to your side, so if I was Imperial and I brought a vassal back and it was Shogunate it would rebel again real soon anyway. I guess I could stick some faction influence in the settlement to get it to eventually switch over but that's annoying.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Pycckuu posted:

That's incorrect. They immediately change allegiance when they become your vassal and stay true to that allegiance. When realm divide happens, all clans with the same allegiance form one big alliance with the player clan. The only time a vassal will betray you is if you choose to go republican.

As I found out the hard way when I tried to go Republican Tsu and all my vassals declared war on me :argh:.

Vassals in Vanilla S2 don't declare war on you if you make them after realm divide, right? Because it does get annoying that the guy who has one province and no army decides that he can take me on even though we've been best friends for 40 years, and I would love to just revassalize him instead of taking his province.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Don Gato posted:

As I found out the hard way when I tried to go Republican Tsu and all my vassals declared war on me :argh:.

Vassals in Vanilla S2 don't declare war on you if you make them after realm divide, right? Because it does get annoying that the guy who has one province and no army decides that he can take me on even though we've been best friends for 40 years, and I would love to just revassalize him instead of taking his province.

If you want vassals to stay loyal in Shogun 2 you need to create them after:

1. Realm divide
2. Taking Kyoto and becoming Shogun

The second of those events adds a SECOND ongoing realm divide relations penalty so you any vassals you create between 1 and 2 will turn on you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

John Charity Spring posted:

If you want vassals to stay loyal in Shogun 2 you need to create them after:

1. Realm divide
2. Taking Kyoto and becoming Shogun

The second of those events adds a SECOND ongoing realm divide relations penalty so you any vassals you create between 1 and 2 will turn on you.

Can't you also just take Kyoto first which automatically triggers realm divide anyway?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
"just"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

If you are doing well enough in the game to trigger realm divide you are doing well enough to take Kyoto with a bit of patience. I mean you can arrange it so that the province you are taking that would trigger realm divide anyway is Kyoto.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 3, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nobody plays Shogun 2 multi anymore right?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

Can't you also just take Kyoto first which automatically triggers realm divide anyway?

You can, yeah. As far as I know no-one has tested taking Kyoto first and then seeing if the vassal malus applies after you hit 15 provinces, but vice versa has been tested.

Earwicker posted:

If you are doing well enough in the game to trigger realm divide you are doing well enough to take Kyoto with a bit of patience. I mean you can arrange it so that the province you are taking that would trigger realm divide anyway is Kyoto.

About half the clans would need a naval invasion or super exposed expansion to get there in time though. Certainly for like the Shimazu, Mori, Date or Hojo it would be pretty tight. Ideally you take Kyoto as your Realm Divide province to maximise your non-RD time and get that sweet Shogun bonus, but it's not really feasible for everyone.

Koramei posted:

So basically realm divide? Except more gradual. Which is kind of what I think they were trying to do with the like -80 diplomatic modifier you get for imperium levels in Rome 2, I just wish they'd went all the way.

And yeah, bad endgame was hardly unique to Rome 2, and at least with the civil wars... well I dunno maybe I wouldn't call them an improvement. Really only vanilla Shogun 2 and Rise had decent late-games though. And even for those, only on the short campaigns. It's just a problem with how TW works.

Oh, I certainly wasn't implying that a bad endgame is somehow a Rome 2 specific thing, I just think it's far less forgivable when they had a working system in Shogun 2 based on external threats (Realm Divide) and instead of refining the concept to remove a few of the elements that felt gamey they just threw it all away to throw in a system on internal threats (Civil War) which by their nature have to act as setbacks rather than difficulty increases.

Realm divide which gives you a small coalition against a large coalition (given that you are pretty huge anyway, it's still going to end up with your coalition having like 1/3rd of the landmass vs 2/3rds) would have worked far better.

StashAugustine posted:

Nobody plays Shogun 2 multi anymore right?

You can still get games, but it's all against gold 10 star players with thousands of games and all the good retainers, so it can be tough. Another example of a great system which just needed some refinement that should have been a TW staple (needed to get rid of random retainers and rework unit unlocks). Avatar mode was a far more interesting mode than glorified battle list.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good mods for Shogun 2 that cut down on the Navy spam? I don't know how the hell a one province clan can have a gigantic navy raiding up and down the coast when I'm knocking on their front door. I don't mind naval battles, but it's a loving chore chasing a single bune around because it decided to park on a shipping lane or a harbor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Ikko Ikki have like 20 provinces right now :stare: I'm not looking forward to the inevitable wardec.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

The Ikko Ikki have like 20 provinces right now :stare: I'm not looking forward to the inevitable wardec.

I love fighting the Ikko Ikki. A rampaging army of angry monks and rabble. All mown down by organized ranks of ashigaru musketeers. Nobunaga would be proud.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The current version of Rome II gives you a fairly substantial penalty to diplomatic relationships with all factions as your imperium level increases. It won't directly create coalitions against you, but the way the game handles relationships it means that factions who would otherwise have no standing will like each other for attacking you because you're -40 to them both.

VVV It's definitely not enough, but it is a decent move in a good direction VVV

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 4, 2014

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Voyager I posted:

The current version of Rome II gives you a fairly substantial penalty to diplomatic relationships with all factions as your imperium level increases. It won't directly create coalitions against you, but the way the game handles relationships it means that factions who would otherwise have no standing will like each other for attacking you because you're -40 to them both.

That's all well and good, but for a mechanic that is meant to add endgame challenge it doesn't actually work beyond making trade agreements harder, which is kind of the point we are making.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The way the game measures your trustworthiness is pretty weak. Starting as Macedon I declared on Epirus turn 1 because everyone hates them and I was planning on taking them before Athens/Sparta did. Turns out I had a peace treaty with them that I didn't make (turn one, still), and my "Steadfast" rating shot down to "Unreliable". Within ten turns, after destroying Epirus and making some friends, i'm already back up to "Reliable".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't know if any of yinz have tried Endless Legend but I have been playing that recently and I am really impressed with the way diplomacy is handled in that game, its more detailed than in TW games and less detailed than in EU games but still very nuanced and much more free and natural feeling. For example if you are at peace with someone and you don't have permission for military access, you can still have your units cross their territory, it just pisses them off and lowers your relationship the more often you do it. Communication is more frequent and with more intermediary steps between war and peace (the default state is "cold war" when you first encounter anyone) but it doesn't feel overcomplicated the way Paradox games diplomacy can sometimes feel. However I don't think it coalitions like EU4 which are also a cool idea.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Cold war is also fun because you can kill enemy units in neutral territory withoit breeding a war.
The bad part is that archers are pretty much better than anything else in combat.

Is Lands to conquer the go-to mod for M2?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

By popular request, and for a megathread in case heaven forbid, people new to the series want to actually play a total war game want to actually not just smash their head at it for 4 hours before it makes sense or they give up, I give you ...

A Guide on How to Play Total War Games For New Players Because No One Will Ever Teach You The Fundamentals

But Sober, the Total War franchise has been a thing since the year of our lord, two thousand (Total War: Shogun released in 2000)! Why do we need a guide now?
Because frankly, there really is a dearth of guides on how to play Total War. Not to be lazy, so I googled "how to play Total War" and the top results are the official How To Play guide for Total War Rome 2 (which is honestly pretty crappy, all things considered) or really specific to one game.

So let's say there was a recent Steam Sale (we're all guilty), and you decided "hey, why don't I grab the most recent Total War game for cheap or all the older back catalogue for like 50 bucks. I hear there's plenty of hours in any single Total War game alone!" And you're not wrong there. The problem that I've found though, is that none of them actually teach you how to play Total War in any competent capacity.

This is what the guide is for, to teach you the fundamentals, because for heaven's sake, there really isn't a good one. Especially when everyone points to "well buy the game in the era that interests you" and assumes they can enjoy fumbling about and learning the unexplained fundamentals of game as much as you did back in the day. You old farts.

Let's get started.

:byodood: HOW DO I PLAY A TOTAL WAR GAME I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING :byodood:

Welcome to Total War! It gets easier, I promise. So I figured you've probably started the respective tutorials for the game you're interested in. This may range from "hmm, alright" (Napoleon, Shogun 2) or "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo" (Rome 2). That's quite alright. I think they taught you the controls.

Forget about the tutorial unless you have a godly amount of patience because everything after that requires more work than the actual game usually entails. If you want a more in-depth look at the camera/unit controls, I recommend watching this video. Yes, it's for Rome 2 but 95% of the what is explained there works in the older games in regards to unit control (and basic camera usage for Empire and newer games).

I still recommend you leave the advisers on because while they do explain everything for you, they do it at a drip feed, and requires you basically click on everything carefully so you don't trigger them before they finish one topic. They are extremely serviceable for the advice they give specifically for each game.

Start up a campaign instead
Most people will spend a majority of their hours in a Total War game playing the campaign(s). These are basically two games rolled into one, where you play the game on a big Risk-like map of the world, while you play those battles where you tell your groups of sweaty, muscly men to go kill the other group of sweaty, muscly men. If you are absolutely new, pick the factions with a easy start position to give you more time to get used to everything. The hard starts really are hard, with poo poo coming at you the moment you hit end turn, if not starting you knee-deep in poo poo.

Essentially, campaigns break down into two distinct layers:
1) The campaign map: a STRATEGIC, TURN-BASED layer and
2) The battle map: a TACTICAL, REAL-TIME layer

The Campaign Map
In any Total War game, this is the part where you play it in a turn-based fashion. You take your turn doing whatever you want at your leisure, then you end your turn when you've got nothing else you can do or you need to pass the time (preferably in that order). All the other factions/countries/etc. take their turns and it's back to you. Anything the other factions do to you on their turn, you will have a chance to react to.

The campaign map serves as a sandbox for you to take a faction and have them conquer the map in whichever way you deem fit within a time limit and with certain victory conditions. Simple as that.

From the strategic layer, you raise armies and recruit new units. You then move those armies around and you use them to go fight other armies and use them to take over other regions by capturing settlements.

Another thing that you can do on the strategy layer is recruit agents, which are single characters that you can use to do certain things to other actors in the game (armies, agents, settlements) like assassinate another character or accompany an army to buff them.

Actors like agents and armies/fleets have limited movement in movement points that limits where they can move in the turn.

The map is divided into different regions, and these are the discrete building blocks of your empires in Total War. You manage building infrastructure in regions you control to support your economy: you have to balance buildings that increase the wealth, happiness, growth of a region, as well as unit recruitment. Units cost money to recruit and/or maintain, so you need to maintain a stable economy to keep your war machine going. Upgrading your infrastructure also supports your war machine by letting you recruit better/advanced units or making them better in some way (more experienced, better equipment), or allowing you to move stuff around faster.

You also conduct diplomacy with other factions, research (Empire and newer), exploration, trade and a few other things from this layer.

Research (from Empire and onward) is basically a technology tree that doles out new units/unit abilities/buildings/infrastructure improvements/etc.

Diplomacy from declaring war/making peace to making vassals are all conducted from the diplomacy screen (you need an diplomat agent in Medieval 2 and older games though to do anything but declare war). Usually things like making peace, allies, trade are a stopgap before you go on conquering everything, while providing you with some leeway to how you want to do it if you want to make alliance blocs or to double check that declaring war on someone won't drag five other factions into war against you (either all at once or sending everyone into a gradual hate spiral), or that it won't piss off your shaky ally into breaking trade agreements with you, causing your economy to grind to a halt.

For starters you want to conduct diplomacy to trade with other factions if you can; this will net you some extra income as well as some favour towards a faction if you do. This is always a good starting place if you want to build better relations with a faction. In later games, resources are traded and trade can help if you want to improve your infrastructure, as they will require you have access to certain resources. There isn't too much nuance in diplomacy in a Total War game (it is called Total War after all) but there is enough in it to encourage its use.

When armies clash, you go into the tactical layer of the game, or the battle map.

The Battle Map
This is where battles take place in Total War games. Whatever units the involving armies were made up of and their conditions on the campaign map will be represented on the battle map. I will cover what are the majority of fights you will play a Total War game, which are pitched field battles.

Battles are fought in real-time but if you're playing against the AI you also have control to the speed controls to pause/slow down/speed up the battles. I'd recommend you pause if you feel overwhelmed at any point during a fight. You do not need Korean StarCraft rock star god ubermicro to play Total War battles, not even in MP. What usually wins battles is the applying the proper units to the right places during a battle. Battles in Total War are about maneuvers and bringing the right army to the fight.

In battles, the goal isn't necessarily to eliminate the entire enemy force, but to make them rout and run away like a bunch of babies. Units have morale and if you can reduce their morale to zero, they will stop fighting and instead opt to run off the battlefield.

There are plenty of ways to break an enemy unit's morale, the most common way is to kill them. The faster you kill them, the faster their morale breaks. Flanking a unit is usually the go-to maneuver, because that typically means a unit is being attacked both in front (which it's prepared for) and from the sides/behind (which it isn't) and will start taking losses even faster. Barring that, you need massive superiority (both quantity and quality) to kill the enemy faster than they're killing yours.

How do I deploy my army?
The one huge problem in Total War games is that no one ever really teaches new players how to deploy an army unless you are coincidentally a military historian, nor does the game really fully explain what your units actually do besides that you right click them to get them into fights.

There are many, many different ways to deploy armies in Total War games, and a lot of it has to do with what units were in your army that you brought to the fight (i.e. units you recruited during your turns in the campaign in the first place). How comfortable you are with battles also determines what units you recruit in the campaign, but a few fundamentals exist in the general sense. They differ from game, faction, playstyle per faction, etc. but the general builds are the same. You are also free to experiment from there.

In the broadest sense, army composition depends on these roles:
  • Infantry: the men who do the fighting and dying, and usually your main core of units that make up a good portion of your armies. Multipurpose.
  • Cavalry: Usually found on your flanks at the start, you use them to chase down more vulnerable units or to flank the enemy's units after your infantry are engaged with one another. Generally multipurpose but biased towards flanking use.
  • Skirmishers/Light Infantry: for screening your main force, these are generally the ranged units like archers. Screening means you use them in advance of your attack to absorb enemy missile fire so they don't have any left on your actual men. They can also be used to flank, or defensively after they retreat to the flanks/behind when the main infantry line engage. They usually will poo poo their pants in an actual fight or just at the sight of cavalry coming at them.
  • Artillery: Depending on the era the game you are playing, they are "nice to have" or "the fury of a thousand suns". Almost required in gunpowder armies.

Refer to this image for the most basic and balanced deployment setup:

From that you can play around with it. (I'm also too lazy to make any more so just use that as a reference point)

For the sword/spear/bow/horse games:
For absolute starters, familiarize yourself with the basic procedure of "fix and flank", or better known as The Hammer and Anvil tactic.

Your main line: Bring a core of infantry. They generally have swords or spears and their job is to get in fights. These are for holding down the other enemy's core of infantry. The fight begins when someone commits their line towards the other and they smash into each other. They don't have to be the best of the best, but the better they are, the longer they will hold the line before they run, which means you have more time to maneuver. Generally, just select all your tougher infantry and drag them out to a thin line, keeping them maybe 3-5 ranks/men deep - this is usually a good balance of length and depth of a battle line. If you are afraid if your line being weak, you can place units behind them as reserves to bring up to the front if needed.

Skirmishers: place them in front offensively or behind when on the defensive. If you are confident with maneuvering them on the flanks, they are just as good as cavalry. But remember they are usually light infantry so they are extremely vulnerable to cavalry but can outrun most heavier infantry if they need to turn tail.

Calvary: bring a comfortable amount (usually 2 to 4) to use for charging into the enemy's flanks after the lines meet. People usually hit the enemy's line from the flanks and work towards the center (because this also frees up infantry from your flanks to help maneuver with). They can also chase away/kill/rout skirmishers if needed.

For gunpowder games:
Your main line: Line infantry of varying degrees of quality. Drag them out as thin as you can to maximize fire, though be careful as though 2 rank deep formations provide really good fire, they are vulnerable to being charged and surrounded since they have no depth. You usually have one flank slowly crawl up the side and fire towards the enemy's line's flank. Just slowly progress until you've killed more of them and routed them. Usually your perfect straight battle line at the start devolves into a V, U or W when you're done.

Skirmishers (and some other infantry): They usually are better than line infantry at something but suck in being main line infantry (standing and shooting and dying). They are either skirmishers (don't line up in neat lines to be shot at), or have better range/accuracy as snipers, or other abilities like throwing grenades but have much less men per unit. Use them as specialist infantry on the flanks or to screen.

Cavalry: Take a bit of a backseat because though they can charge thin lines, a frontal charge towards musket fire will almost always just instantly rout them. And just because line infantry shooting at line infantry will generally resolve one another as long as you are maneuvering something. Generally used for chasing down cannon crews or routing units. Some cavalry are dragoons and are basically line infantry on horses - you can run them towards the enemy's flanks, dismount them and they start firing, then pack them up and continue on. Make sure that if you are attacking line infantry with melee cavalry it is from behind and they don't have time to brace for it by doing stuff like going into square formation or turning around to give you a volley of gunfire.

Artillery: The fist of an angry god. Unless you are really confident at maneuvering on the field with just infantry and cavalry, make sure to bring cannons - they are a force multiplier, being able to fire across the map and ruin someone's day. They either go on the flanks of your line infantry or at the center while your infantry surround it. That or find them a good elevated position to fire from.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

The way the game measures your trustworthiness is pretty weak. Starting as Macedon I declared on Epirus turn 1 because everyone hates them and I was planning on taking them before Athens/Sparta did. Turns out I had a peace treaty with them that I didn't make (turn one, still), and my "Steadfast" rating shot down to "Unreliable". Within ten turns, after destroying Epirus and making some friends, i'm already back up to "Reliable".

Yeah, I make it a rule to always declare on Epirus the moment I see them. The "wow, you declared on epirus" diplomacy bonuses are far-reaching for a lot of good trade partners/allies. Syracuse/Macedon suffer the initial trustworthiness hits for it, but they do wear off in like no turns at all.

Makes you wonder how it works for the AI since the buggers seem to be consistently low in trustworthiness. Just static for each faction? Or are they really being such dirtbags to each other behind the scenes?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A nicely written starter guide for new people :).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The AI really likes to solve wars they've been sent to by allies after a few turns and that tanks your reliability. They also crap all over NAPs or military access deals and DoW anyways which makes them unreliable.

You can just cancel all the agreemnts you have with Epirus and wait 3 turns. Unless the Ardeai are super focused on stomping the crap out of Epirus they won't collapse on three turns.

If the Ardeiai do in fact stomp Epirus then congratulations on finding the perfect excuse to grab extra territory!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, only thing I can think to add for new players would be a mention of terrain in the battle map section. Depending on general strategy game background, might not be intuitive to think that the game actually takes height advantages and trees into account with its systems. Best lopsided slaughter strategy will always be baiting the enemy into charging up foresty hills into the center of hidden units.

Just in general, I think knowing terrain is one of the most important aspects of effective play. The AI sort of understand it too, until you give them a prize too seemingly sweet to ignore over keeping good terrain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Now you have me wondering how I learned to play total war, I know I had medieval when I was a kid, but I don't know when I started getting good at it.

I especially don't know when I somehow got a lot better at Empire by not playing it for a few years and suddenly it's gotten really easy and I'm bayonet charging everything.

Speaking of, for gunpowder games I've been having a lot more success since I stopped trying to shoot people and instead started trying to charge them after the first volley. Running right up to the enemy, taking their first volley at range, stopping just short of them before they reload, unloading your volley at point blank, then running in and stabbing them all to death seems to rout the enemy army with minimal casualties on both sides a lot of the time. Replace this with 'charge them with katana samurai' for FOTS and you're on to a winner, I find.

Much like the American Civil War, not using bayonets tends to just make everyone kill each other, whereas getting stuck in with the poking stick tends to make the enemy uncomfortable and run a lot faster than shooting them does. Pursue melee superiority and try your damnedest to get into melee with your best troops as quickly as possible is my strategy.

It's weird, the older I get the better I seem to get at total war despite the series repeatedly throwing curve balls in terms of setting and playstyle, and you're right in that none of them really tell you how to play.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 5, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bayonet charges are always the right answer if you are using proper line infantry against militia/levies. Levies can trade volley for volley with anyone else, but they are 100% ready to quit once you go poke em.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Bayonet charges are always the right answer if you are using proper line infantry against militia/levies. Levies can trade volley for volley with anyone else, but they are 100% ready to quit once you go poke em.

Might explain the success I'm having as I almost always take decent quality units while the enemy tends to be fielding a mix.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Sober's incredible post has been added to the OP!

New players everywhere rejoice!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I prefer to use artillery superiority to make the enemy come to me, then either unleashing canister shot or hammer-and-anvil on them. This worked brilliantly on Empire's :downs: AI, worked up to a point in Napoleon (The AI figured out it was better to charge cannons than take giant shotgun blasts to the face), and will baaaaarrrrely stop an army of crack melee troops in FotS, where the standard line has the shittest hand to hand stats of any unit in the game worth using.

Great guide for new players, Sober. One thing I'd add is that projectiles from ranged weapons don't "miss" in any of the TW games - the engine tracks each individual projectile until it hits something. What this means is that firing arrows into a melee is more than likely to hit some of your own guys, especially if the archers are behind them. This is vitally important to remember when dealing with guns, for obvious reasons - archers can arc their shots over friendly units, musketeers and riflemen can't.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I did actually have a small list of things I wrote while typing up the above that included stuff like missile attacks w/r/t arcs, vs. shields, etc. Pretty sure even pikes/pike phalanxes are so infrequent (despite its importance in warfare) I didn't include it. It was basically just a list of poo poo at a slightly more intermediate level of the game that just feels like accumulated oral knowledge people had figured out from playing the game rather than anything that's been written down (officially or unofficially) that I could find. Stuff like "when should I charge/countercharge", terrain, fighting uphill, the role of fatigue, why the gently caress you really shouldn't countercharge cav and some other fun stuff, hell probably even some campaign stuff too. I'd also like to hear what stuff people have to say about it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It really bums me out that after all this time, playing Stainless Steel eventually becomes "Will It Crash?" with how big the map is and how many things can go wrong :sigh:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is there any Medieval 2 mod that has unmounted generals as an option? I kind of miss the dismount button whenever I go play it, especially in sieges. I think it's an engine limitation, but at least unmounted generals for custom battles should be a thing SOMEWHERE.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In custom battles you can choose any unit to be the general though.

Native American factions tend to have infantry generals but i think that's it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mans posted:

In custom battles you can choose any unit to be the general though.

Native American factions tend to have infantry generals but i think that's it.

I... completely forgot there are no dedicated general units in Med2 except for the Bodyguards in the campaign. :downs: Thanks.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Murderion posted:

Is there any TW game that isn't? Barring realm divide in Shogun 2 (which I haven't gotten to yet, and sounds terrifying), pretty much all of them end with you mopping up X provinces to finish the game after wiping out your competitor's economic base and breaking the backs of their armies. My British campaign in Napoleon wound up with conquering Norway and Denmark, which is historically accurate but makes no sense whatsoever after taking France in 1807. Although sending Napoleon blasting off like Team Rocket every few months was fun.

In FotS, is it a good idea to make vassals out of clans that are on the opposing side? I've beaten down one of my opponents as the Nagaoka and I'd rather have a buffer while I build up my economy and get ready to fight the boys named Tsu.

The only campaign I've ever finished was as France in Napoleon on VH. It can be a bit of a slog at the end but seizing Moscow and London on the same turn in a lightning campaign was pretty satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5EJ6HcCl6I

I will say though I might have only kept interest and finished it because I was taking a class on the French Revolutionary wars at the time and had just read like two books on Napoleon. Immersing yourself in the history a bit definitely adds to a campaign.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of, for gunpowder games I've been having a lot more success since I stopped trying to shoot people and instead started trying to charge them after the first volley. Running right up to the enemy, taking their first volley at range, stopping just short of them before they reload, unloading your volley at point blank, then running in and stabbing them all to death seems to rout the enemy army with minimal casualties on both sides a lot of the time. Replace this with 'charge them with katana samurai' for FOTS and you're on to a winner, I find.

I believe this was the standard procedure for British armies of the era: eat ripple fire while advancing on the enemy position, deliver one enormous volley from everyone (who is still alive), and then charge.