Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Will Grey implement the orders, even if we don't have a specific commander issuing the order to their HQ unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bacarruda posted:

I'm calling in two fire missions. marcus_cz, I'm commandeering your tubes for the southern fire mission.

----

Grey, for fire mission #2, if there are no HQ units with LOS to call in the mission please move one into position ASAP. If possible, make sure these spotters are in cover.

Also, could you show the fire mission info in-game next turn?

I don't see how those would work. We have the TRPs over there, but no one has LOS on those other end points. You need to have direct LOS or a TRP on both of the end points. I doubt Grey Hunter will go through our units carefully checking LOS. If we tell him to move a random HQ unit into a position with LOS, maybe he'll just end up charging a valuable HQ unit out toward the Russians and get them killed.

Something like this could easily work though:

We only need LOS on one of the end points if we use a TRP for the other end. We don't have anyone in good positions at the moment, but our HQ units aren't far away. There are several spots in the east town, around our MLR, that have LOS on the treeline on the west side of Route 66, below the Dong area. It's a bit more difficult to get good LOS to the treeline way up north. The crop fields sometimes block LOS, and no one is able to see beyond the treeline. I'm pretty sure that the HMG at the north end of McDonald's farm, and the AT gun that just fired way down south, are the only units that can actually see the Russian tanks up there at the moment.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Grey Hunter, can you tell us if my missions and Kenzie's missions are viable?

I've checked the LOS for both in-game and they seem doable (using spotters in the East Village and the West Village). But there's been a pretty substantial divergence between where we think units are and where they actually are.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bacarruda posted:

I've checked the LOS for both in-game and they seem doable (using spotters in the East Village and the West Village).

Really? Where are your spotters exactly? Because I could not do it at all.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Kenzie

I'm having troubles finding time to do the next turn properly and it is quite critical if I want to stop my guys being shot. Would it be possible for you to conjure up an order for Grey to implement? A hastily drawn image about which buildings 2/1 should occupy will do for me.

My plan for the next few minutes was and is roughly what you suggested here:

Kenzie posted:

Another option is to withdraw a bit further, to the buildings immediately in front of the MLR.

Based on the images you posted before, all of my units should be relatively safe to cross the road in the village as long as they go fast across it. The only team still across Route 66 got shot somewhat but I think it's not pinned yet, so getting out of there is pretty imperative even though we're only talking about two men.

My only remaining Panzerschreck is currently in the woods right to the north of where you drew the tank icon in the above image, waiting to ambush whoever drives into the mine of ours at the bridge. I'd love if it'd pause for a bit longer until withdrawing but it looks like it will be flanked by enemy infantry from the north soon. Perhaps it's better to just back off now since we have no idea if the next turn will be a minute or two.

edit: here's the link to my previous withdrawal orders, which seem to have worked as expected: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658537&userid=177360&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post435571344

The teams by the river don't exist anymore save for the 3rd squad leader, as far as I can tell, and the unit scratched out with black is currently where the HQ was in the image, while the HQ is inside a house right next to it. That should be all of my units at the moment.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 4, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Valiantman posted:

Kenzie

I'm having troubles finding time to do the next turn properly and it is quite critical if I want to stop my guys being shot. Would it be possible for you to conjure up an order for Grey to implement? A hastily drawn image about which buildings 2/1 should occupy will do for me.

OK. I don't have a lot of time either so I'm just gonna make all of your guys run into the gully in front of the MLR for the time being if that's OK. They can start occupying buildings and whatnot later. Let's just get them outta there first.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

2nd Company, 1st Platoon

I may have gotten the exact location of that southern team wrong. Have everyone run into or toward that gully in the town for now. The panzerschreck team should pause for 30 seconds. The orange lines are FAST commands, yellow are QUICK.

These lines are pretty rough. Just get everyone back please!

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 4, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Phone posting, but I dont believe 1Kom has anything new to do. 1-3, keep moving, 4 proceed as FF orders.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Posting on behalf of TehKeen who's not here.

2 Company, 4 platoon, Mortar section

One of our trucks is ready near the mortars, the other is still on its way.

Please split ammo carriers from the mortar teams and have them start offloading mortar ammunition from the stationary truck near them and carry it back to the mortars.

Grey, I don't know how exactly the mechanics for offloading ammunition work so I must rely on your benevolence. Basically, some guys should be firing the mortars since Baccaruda just ordered a fire mission. Other guys should carry ammo for them.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Hi all, I'm finally back in the land of internet access and am just about caught up in the thread. Thanks for keeping my guys (mostly) unharmed.

As markus_cz has already issued orders for this turn, I'll just defer until the next update.

In the meantime, can I requisition a unit banner of a large greyscale :gonk: with the caption: "Why us?!" (thanks, Jaguars!)

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

3rd Platoon, 2nd Company

After ignoring the last two turns, it's time to give some orders:

- Team 1a should run QUICK and go inside the indicated building next to team 1b, then FACE east and HIDE
- Team 2a should finish their movement into their foxholes. They should FACE toward the knocked-out panzer (new command) and HIDE.
- Team 3a should run QUICK inside the indicated house adjacent to the HQ house. They should circle the house 3b is in around to the LEFT (away from the enemy). Once inside their destination house, they should FACE east.

- Team 1b already has a firing arc. All remaining teams keep HIDING

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Bacarruda posted:

Grey Hunter, can you tell us if my missions and Kenzie's missions are viable?

I've checked the LOS for both in-game and they seem doable (using spotters in the East Village and the West Village). But there's been a pretty substantial divergence between where we think units are and where they actually are.

Bumping.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Right, Fire mission 1 could be plotted like this

Mission 2 is trickier, and I can only get it to run like this - the mortars are giving me "no LOS" for most of the areas.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for making the checks. Very helpful!

Call in Fire Mission #1 (north) using the 272m length (if you can slide it any further south, please do, if not, that's fine).

Hold off on Fire Mission #2 (south) for now.

Kenzie, get someone in position who can get LOS on this treeline, or at least as much of it as possible. Once you do that I'll call in Fire Mission #2

--

Fell Fire and Jeoh, I strongly suggest you try and get your mortars, ammo teams, HQ units, and ammo trucks to safety ASAP. I don't want to lose your firepower.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I think that long range AT duel is the first bit of good news in a while. It's a bit down to luck, but if we can blat that SU before they get us, we've managed to disrupt enemy movement for the second time. Range is about 1800m, so as long as we keep shooting, we should be able to take it down. I dunno how the number four man got killed though, was that an aeroplane casualty?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 5, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders are final!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Bacarruda posted:

Kenzie, get someone in position who can get LOS on this treeline, or at least as much of it as possible. Once you do that I'll call in Fire Mission #2

--

Thanks, Kenzie! It looks like I just barely wouldn't have made it for the turn. All fine now.

Also, I can volunteer my HQ as spotters for that mission but I think you'll pretty much have to commandeer them to get them into a position from which they can see to that treeline and not get smg'd to face while waiting for the rounds to start falling.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

48 hours for the next turn

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Return to previous positions, fast. Face northeast, deploy mortars. Then wait for the next artillery barrage.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Whew. The timing couldn't have been better. Hey, experts, what do you recon, can we deduce anything about the number of TRPs, artillery, tanks and planes regarding to the infantry numbers?

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
At CM time index 1:03:51, an IS2 (as Grey says) takes a shot at my only team that wasn't hiding. :wtc: Thankfully they were in foxholes, so no casualties taken.

I hope that was a truck stuffed with infantry that blew up. It looks like they were bringing up additional forces to the frontline in trucks the past 4-6 turns in preparation for an assault.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Please face gradenko_2000's King Tiger to the northeast.

Please issue movement orders to gradenko_2000's King Tiger according to the map:

Green line indicates the path, red star indicates the final position, red line indicates the facing.

Orders spreadsheet updated.

Bacarruda, thoughts on the situation to the south-southeast? I think we're still good on waiting to face down the armor coming from Route Anna, just wanted to check in since a few turns have passed.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 7, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Yay, they finally hit one of the mines. :allears:

Looks like they are crossing the open ground to the south and heading into the Troll woods now as well. Maybe 1st Company should get ready for that. They have foxholes in the woods don't they?

Bacarruda posted:

Thanks for making the checks. Very helpful!

Call in Fire Mission #1 (north) using the 272m length (if you can slide it any further south, please do, if not, that's fine).

Hold off on Fire Mission #2 (south) for now.

--

Fell Fire and Jeoh, I strongly suggest you try and get your mortars, ammo teams, HQ units, and ammo trucks to safety ASAP. I don't want to lose your firepower.

There aren't a lot of spots that have LOS through the treeline on the west side of Route 66, but I can give you your fire mission if we send an HQ up to the 2nd floor of a certain building. We have an HMG set up in that building right now. I think eigenstate's HQ is the closest one to it.

I should have done this earlier, since we don't have much time, but this should work. It will take a minute or two to get up into that building and another 4 minutes to call it in.

Why are we not shelling the treeline up north though? We know they are lining up infantry all along it, but instead we are shelling the open ground to the east?

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 5, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm bowing out. It was stupid from the get go to control two sniper teams, it's been boring from the start and that's pretty much why I haven't been active. Basically my pixelman is sitting still with very little to do.

Going to go find out what we blew up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Good luck germans!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Grey Hunter, did our fire missions get called in?

--

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bacarruda, thoughts on the situation to the south-southeast? I think we're still good on waiting to face down the armor coming from Route Anna, just wanted to check in since a few turns have passed.

Glad you asked. Have your village tanks position for now.

Make sure you have good LOS on the northern ridge and can engage any Russian tanks and infantry that crest the ridge.

Also, make sure your platoon's flanks are secure. I don't want one of the IS-2s in the south to hit you with a flank shot from across the map.

Make sure your King Tiger is in position to oppose the Soviet attack along ANNA.

Kenzie posted:

There aren't a lot of spots that have LOS through the treeline on the west side of Route 66, but I can give you your fire mission if we send an HQ up to the 2nd floor of a certain building. We have an HMG set up in that building right now. I think eigenstate's HQ is the closest one to it.

I should have done this earlier, since we don't have much time, but this should work. It will take a minute or two to get up into that building and another 4 minutes to call it in.

Make it so. Get your spotter in position, then I'll call in the mission.

Kenzie posted:

Why are we not shelling the treeline up north though? We know they are lining up infantry all along it, but instead we are shelling the open ground to the east?

I agree. I'll task 1 Company's 81mms with that task.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

:godwinning:The retreat continues!:godwinning:

It looks like the Russians are getting ready to send a wave of infantry across the open fields in the north and we need to be ready for them. We must continue our retreat back to the interior of the town.

2nd Kompanie is currently deployed roughly like this:

We should use the gully to cover our movements. We know the Russian tanks overwatching from the east can see some of the ground near our MLR. They shouldn't be able to see much - just the bridge and some of the road heading toward the foxhole they shot at. Their tanks should also be able to fire at one of eigenstate's panzerschrecks. Not the one right next to the bridge, but the one to the west a bit, at the tip of the triangular group of trees. As long as they stay hidden in their holes they should be fine. The Russians shouldn't be able to fire at any of the other foxholes.

I don't want them to catch any glimpses of us as we retreat. I'd like 1st and 2nd platoons to go under the bridge before moving into the town. They shouldn't be able to see us this way.

The past couple of turns have made me change my mind again. Because it looks like they are moving such strong forces at us from the north, it might be a better idea to not bother putting any guys in the buildings in front of the MLR. It might be better to have all of 1st and 2nd platoons head back behind the MLR to rest and regroup before the Russian attack from the north hits us. Using the gully to retreat will keep us safe, but it will slow us down a bit, so we don't have much time.

Eigenstate, please move your HQ FAST onto the 2nd floor of this building, and have them face northeast:

We'll use you to call in a fire mission, then you can move them back outta there again. I could have my Company HQ do this as well, but your HQ should be able to get there a few seconds faster.

As for that team of yours that got shot at by the IS-2, you might want to hide them or even tell them to run away. The Russians might order the tank to area fire at that spot since they know you're there now. A 122mm shell will vaporize a foxhole position if it actually manages to hit. You can always return to that position later once the tank leaves.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Hold tight, wait for Russkies.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ORDERS YO!

Pull schrecks and HQ back along the yellow line. Pull squads back along the purple line. MAKE SURE EVERYONE GOES UNDER THE BRIDGE. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART! Move speed = quick.

Schrecks will go in the lower, one-floor building near the green machine gun (inset) and face indicated direction. HQ will go to the second floor of the other building in the inset and face the indicated direction.

Squads will set up as indicated, following the purple line back, up the road, and then along the turn in the road. Placement should be as they are now if rotated 90° counterclockwise (ie: top squad in current placement is leftmost squad in new placement, etc). Have them face along the indicated directions. Squads next to hedges need to be NEXT TO HEDGES, not in the fields behind them.

[/orders]

As always, if anyone has some "Grey will probably misinterpret that" advice share it so I don't step in a loving sinkhole.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 6, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bacarruda posted:

Grey Hunter, did our fire missions get called in?

I'm pretty sure i showed you the fire mission you called in in the video.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Glad you asked. Have your village tanks position for now.

You missed out a word. Are you telling us to hold position or change it? I assume the former, but you know what they say about assumptions...

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Velius and vuk83, you are well set up and ready for the upcoming fight. From now on, I'm giving you a free hand on how to handle this. You are free to reposition as you see fit, any time you see fit. Just keep in mind your general order, which is:
- Support our troops, try to provide fire on the areas with heaviest fighting and largest concentrations of Russian troops. In other words, ignore stragglers, focus on the busiest spots.
- Don't get killed. You are a long-range weapon. Never be at the frontline. If the enemy gets too close, withdraw further back behind our frontline composed of regular infantry.

I think your current positions are good for the time being. You can stay and wait for combat unless the situation changes and requires you to reposition - the decision is up to you. Consult this map for recommended HMG positions. If you have the game, feel free to find positions on your own. If you don't, try to spot good spots in the video and ask someone for an in-game screenshot.

Velius, all of the above applies to you with one important exception: you are not allowed to withdraw from McDonald's until ordered to or until you ask for permission and I grant it. After that you will be free to choose your future positions. But now I really need to have you up there. You will get shot at by tanks or artillery though.

TehKeen, your mortars are already preparing a firing mission so there's not much to do. The trucks are still under your command but seems reasonably safe - by the way, one of the trucks has just survived another air strike. You're doing our platoon name proud! The trucks are full of ammo which I want you to offload before they get blown up. I'm not sure whether Grey has actually done that.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Pending orders from Bac, no new ones. We should be at our new positions in a turn or two.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

if not allready deployed continue deploying. if not clear, clear all target arcs

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

markus_cz posted:

Velius and vuk83, you are well set up and ready for the upcoming fight. From now on, I'm giving you a free hand on how to handle this. You are free to reposition as you see fit, any time you see fit. Just keep in mind your general order, which is:
- Support our troops, try to provide fire on the areas with heaviest fighting and largest concentrations of Russian troops. In other words, ignore stragglers, focus on the busiest spots.
- Don't get killed. You are a long-range weapon. Never be at the frontline. If the enemy gets too close, withdraw further back behind our frontline composed of regular infantry.

I think your current positions are good for the time being. You can stay and wait for combat unless the situation changes and requires you to reposition - the decision is up to you. Consult this map for recommended HMG positions. If you have the game, feel free to find positions on your own. If you don't, try to spot good spots in the video and ask someone for an in-game screenshot.

Velius, all of the above applies to you with one important exception: you are not allowed to withdraw from McDonald's until ordered to or until you ask for permission and I grant it. After that you will be free to choose your future positions. But now I really need to have you up there. You will get shot at by tanks or artillery though.

TehKeen, your mortars are already preparing a firing mission so there's not much to do. The trucks are still under your command but seems reasonably safe - by the way, one of the trucks has just survived another air strike. You're doing our platoon name proud! The trucks are full of ammo which I want you to offload before they get blown up. I'm not sure whether Grey has actually done that.

I'm going to keep previous orders I think, for the next turn anyway. I suspect we'll start seeing infantry soon and I don't want to redeploy the team in a building right when action is about to start. I'm phone posting so I'll try and link the spreadsheet when I can.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

He, who fights and runs away, will live to shoot more enemies from better positions!

Mission:
Find good positions at the main defense line and support 3rd platoon's dug-in positions.

Execution: Organize according to squads; occupy buidings, unoccupied foxholes and hedgerows with good lines of fire towards the assumed direction of the attacking enemy.

Details:
It's going to get crowded in that gully, but we better get our move on before the 2nd platoon overtakes our guys.

• It's a mess of lines, I tried to colour-code it to ease things up.
  • All movement is quick, except for the very last unit when I get there.
  • Have everyone already in the gully (circled with yellow), to follow the yellow line. At the end of the yellow line, HQ is red, 1st squad is pink and 2nd squad is orange. The colours don't refer to movement speed, which is still quick. The HQ and 2nd squad occupy buildings, 1st squad takes foxholes.
  • Finally, have the two units circled with blue, follow the blue lines into the gully. The panzerschreck moves quick, the lone leader of the 3rd squad uses move.

An important detail for Grey Hunter: Please make sure all the troops follow the bottom of the gully and go below the bridges that go over it.

And something for my company commander Kenzie: I'm not bunching up into a building with your HQ already in it, am I? (I bother with the facing of my squads next turn, by the way.)

e: heck, that spreadsheet is becoming confusing when the numbering if the turns doesn't line up with Grey's videos. Which turn is it now?

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

You missed out a word. Are you telling us to hold position or change it? I assume the former, but you know what they say about assumptions...

eh, yes hold position.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Move speed should be fast if possible but everyone's likely tired so if they can only do quick they can only do quick.

The only thing I would suggest is using quick instead of fast. The fast command should mostly be used for very short distances, like darting across a street from building to building when you're expecting to be shot at, or when trying to fall back under fire. I would never use it when trying to run for a long distance. Your guys might be so exhausted that they'll be reduced to walking before they even get to their destination. Your guys will also be moving through some rough terrain in that gully, which will tire them out even more. So just use quick.

Valiantman posted:

And something for my company commander Kenzie: I'm not bunching up into a building with your HQ already in it, am I? (I bother with the facing of my squads next turn, by the way.)

Yeah, my HQ is in there. My 2IC team is crammed in there as well. I got that wrong in the image I posted. They are all in the same building. Don't bother changing your orders; I'll move them. I think that building is a good position and I'd rather have an MG42 in there.

My HQ and 2IC teams both have three men with one MP40 each, so they're not too shabby. MP40s can be nasty in this game, and I think they are more accurate than the Russian SMGs. I'll keep my guys around to try to add to your firepower a bit. I'll spread them out into some of the neighboring buildings.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I'd rather have an MG42 in there.

Yeah... about that...

I only have one of those left, since I doubt my guys had the time to grab the one from the latest pair of casualties behind O.K. Corral. I'm not sure which squad has it since they're all just bunched up in the gully there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

eh, yes hold position.

Gotcha.

Tiger VIE

Hold position. Since they've probably exhausted all poetic possibilities, perhaps they can try playing "I Spy" but with Soviet armour?

• Locked thread