Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fionordequester posted:

EDIT: Shame too. 4Kids had some pretty good actors, just...maybe not very good direction :( .

You can see this in the dub of Slayers, which had a lot of 4Kids talent before they went to 4Kids.

Also Crispin Freeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The fish net thing is a ninja thing I think. Like I know Goemon from the Mystical ninja games has like a fishnet undershirt. It seems to part of the standard ninja costume.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Finally caught up. I'm... genuinely surprised how much I'm enjoying the game itself. I hated the anime even as a dumb kid when I first saw it, but this game is somehow really endearing and the commentary of y'all makes it all that much better.

Also Might Guy and Rock Lee are the greatest ever.

Also the Lethal League joke in episode 6 made me giggle like crazy and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHqlYYg_X0 popped into my head and was playing over that entire scene. It was kind of amazing.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
I am fairly certain it is supposed to be a quilted shirt, which was generally worn under armor as a last-ditch effort to lessen the effects of being struck.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arp1033 posted:

I am fairly certain it is supposed to be a quilted shirt, which was generally worn under armor as a last-ditch effort to lessen the effects of being struck.

This makes a lot more sense than all ninjas dressing like Frank N Furter. Not quite as amusing though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The most recent episode is about what I've seen of Naruto (the actual anime), and it's what really made me seal my hatred for Naruto (the character). Gaara is dead, everyone knows this, multiple people have said it, but Naruto continues to yell at his dead body to get up like that'll do the trick. Then after the old lady offs herself and isn't moving and Sakura says that it wasn't a medical jutsu, he still can't connect the dots and has to have people spell it out explicitly for him that the old lady is dead. Naruto is a guy who wants to be president of ninja, yet his ability to understand death is on par with a first grader.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

TwoPair posted:

The most recent episode is about what I've seen of Naruto (the actual anime), and it's what really made me seal my hatred for Naruto (the character). Gaara is dead, everyone knows this, multiple people have said it, but Naruto continues to yell at his dead body to get up like that'll do the trick. Then after the old lady offs herself and isn't moving and Sakura says that it wasn't a medical jutsu, he still can't connect the dots and has to have people spell it out explicitly for him that the old lady is dead. Naruto is a guy who wants to be president of ninja, yet his ability to understand death is on par with a first grader.

I stopped watching and reading somewhere around manga like 500, Naruto is dumb as poo poo, and it show's he's a complete idiot when it comes to actual common sense or really any practical knowledge that would be needed for Hokage, but what he lacks in book smarts, he has in on the fly complete sanity lucky planning and his insane ability to understand jutsu. I think he's really less stupid and more he's just really emotional and it shows, honestly, I don't think it's that his ability to understand death is low, more that he doesn't want to understand it. On the note of Gaara being dead, that's an entirely different thing, Gaara is very similar to Naruto, so they share a sort of bond, being Demon containers they showed off in the show that they had somewhat similar childhoods, except everybody just jeered and mocked Naruto, and they flat out tried to murder Gaara, so the connection there is pretty deep on some levels, having just gone through a death in the family last November, there's a period of time spent doing much Naruto does with Gaara in that scene, wanting to yell and scream and hope your loud enough to wake the person up, followed shortly by the realization afterwards, they aren't getting back up.
TLDR : Naruto is dumb as a loving rock, but incredibly lucky, and sometimes, you don't want to accept death, not to sure on the old lady though, he knows death is, but gently caress if I know what was up with that scene

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Arp1033 posted:

Yeah, apparently it's a mesh shirt, but I think we say "fishnet" again next episode and might continue to so whoops. But at least there's now an explanation for it.

TwoPair posted:

I think JackNapier said about as much as I can on the Gaara thing, but I'll try to explain how I see the whole Lady Chiyo thing.
To be fair, there's no precedent for Naruto should expect her to be dead. Reanimation Jutsu doesn't mean anything to him because they're all forbidden techniques that he hasn't seen, and this one is unique to the old lady and the only one that takes the life of the user IIRC. Since he's poo poo at medical jutsus, he has no way of checking if she's alive or not right then, so Sakura is the only reason he would know that until later when she doesn't recover.
I mean yeah he's still an idiot but I don't think this scene is as much proof for that as some other ones.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wow guys, I can't believe the LP is already coming to an end next month! :dance:

http://kotaku.com/the-naruto-manga-ends-next-month-1642809700

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Wow guys, I can't believe the LP is already coming to an end next month! :dance:

http://kotaku.com/the-naruto-manga-ends-next-month-1642809700

15 years of Naruto, believe it. :corsair:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JackNapier posted:

On the note of Gaara being dead, that's an entirely different thing, Gaara is very similar to Naruto, so they share a sort of bond, being Demon containers they showed off in the show that they had somewhat similar childhoods, except everybody just jeered and mocked Naruto, and they flat out tried to murder Gaara, so the connection there is pretty deep on some levels, having just gone through a death in the family last November, there's a period of time spent doing much Naruto does with Gaara in that scene, wanting to yell and scream and hope your loud enough to wake the person up, followed shortly by the realization afterwards, they aren't getting back up.

Yeah, I guess I actually get that. Maybe it's just the yelling combined with that damned voice that pissed me off so much. Or maybe it's because I've only ever watched the anime, and it's so drawn out (especially when you're watching it on Adult Swim week by week) so I had to watch drat near 2 months of Naruto screaming at a corpse before Gaara came back.

That said, the scene where Gaara gets up and suddenly the whole Sand village has just shown up out of nowhere is so silly I almost kind of love it. It's like "Oh, Lord Gaara, we're here to save yo- oh poo poo I guess he's okay then."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I decided to make a check for "What the hell IS going on in this stupid poo poo of a manga now?" and... Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Still the games are ridiculous fun.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 9, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This game seems terrible but the co-commentaros make these videos loving great. Also the games ability to cut out boring poo poo like Batman's poison adventure.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Herr Tog posted:

This game seems terrible but the co-commentaros make these videos loving great. Also the games ability to cut out boring poo poo like Batman's poison adventure.

Actually as complete poo poo as the source material (and all the running about) is, the actual fighting game system is fun. CyberConnect 2 can make a drat good Fighting Game, and they wound up doing the same thing for .Hack//Versus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgnNu_aDQt4

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
when I said the game seems terrible I ment the ruunning about part and the strange camera during fighting os while the fight might be sweet the rest just looks like poo poo that would make me stop playing the game. just me maybe

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

when I said the game seems terrible I ment the ruunning about part and the strange camera during fighting os while the fight might be sweet the rest just looks like poo poo that would make me stop playing the game. just me maybe

No I can agree with that, combined with the fact that unlike some very old anime fighting games (thinking the DB stuff) where breaking Canon was a thing you were allowed to do, this is basically just the storyline for Naruto and that's... well... the anime sucks, the manga sucks, so the plot for this game will suck. All the side quests are currently irrelevant things, the world map is both too big to make getting anywhere tedious and not big enough to matter. It's weird because most of these games, as far as I can recall? are just straight fighting games with cutscenes. None of this running about nonsense.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

People who watched Sonic X. We can hate on 4Kids.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

People who watched Sonic X. We can hate on 4Kids.

And anyone who's ever heard their soundtrack replacements. Or doesn't find the majority of their edits to be funny at all, See I imagine it as the sliding scale of Duel Masters to Big O. Big O is a dub done entirely in its seriousness, it localizes perfectly, it makes sure everything is understood, while not editing anything. Duel Masters is... uh... basically a licensed Abridged Series. I find it hilarious. Same for Ghost Stories (I think that's the name)

4Kids series tend to sit in this uncomfortable gap where they aren't funny like a Duel Masters or Ghost Stories, but they aren't good like a Big O or Samurai Champloo. Instead they're just kind of poo poo, and occasionally they'll write a funny line, and the voice actors working for them are usually very good (though not necessarily in the roles given to them) but it just wont work. It's the Uncanny Dub.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Onmi posted:

And anyone who's ever heard their soundtrack replacements. Or doesn't find the majority of their edits to be funny at all, See I imagine it as the sliding scale of Duel Masters to Big O. Big O is a dub done entirely in its seriousness, it localizes perfectly, it makes sure everything is understood, while not editing anything. Duel Masters is... uh... basically a licensed Abridged Series. I find it hilarious. Same for Ghost Stories (I think that's the name)
Yeah, Ghost Stories. Complete, official gag-dubs like that are in the "Shin-chan Zone", or so I call it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Onmi posted:

4Kids series tend to sit in this uncomfortable gap where they aren't funny like a Duel Masters or Ghost Stories, but they aren't good like a Big O or Samurai Champloo. Instead they're just kind of poo poo, and occasionally they'll write a funny line, and the voice actors working for them are usually very good (though not necessarily in the roles given to them) but it just wont work. It's the Uncanny Dub.

Me personally? My impression has just kind of been that the localizers are both lazy, and don't seem to have any respect for the source material. Like, they'll translate the dialogue, but only so that they don't accidentally write themselves into a corner later on while they're monkeying with the script. Any time they can get away with it, they'd just insert a bunch of nonsense dialogue of their own rather than trying to bring it across faithfully (hence a lot of what happened with the Yu-Gi-Oh GX dub).

Course, I don't know how accurate that is, but, that's my theory. And of course, they TRIED to get over those bad habits towards the end, once Alfred Khan (the former Chairman and CEO of 4Kids) had stepped down, but by then, it was too late.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Like, they'll translate the dialogue, but only so that they don't accidentally write themselves into a corner later on while they're monkeying with the script.

And then sometimes they'll cut a couple of episodes that end up being vital to a main character's motivation in the future, like they did One Piece.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

That said, I realize that I haven't actually said too much about how the game plays past "Here I'm doing a thing and wow look at how cool it looks" and "It's pretty simple to pick up with a decent learning curve when it comes to real play". If anyone wants to see the mechanics broken down, I can do a quick tutorial video on how to do each type of attack and the other ninja movements available in the game. Most of the mechanics carry over from game to game with only minor changes, so if you pick up one of the Steam games or something it could still be a handy guide.

Hey I just ran into this thread yesterday, and I like what you're doing with this game. If you haven't done this already (and if you have, never mind) I could whip up that video for ya.

That is, if you don't mind me doing so.

Anyways; regarding Naruto itself, I checked out after reading though what amounts to "Sasuke: The Major Motion Picture" in the manga. Saw that and was like, "I'll come after he's done."
Best arc in my opinion was the Chunnin Exam. Just for the parallels between Naruto and Gaara.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 9, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zannosuke posted:

Hey I just ran into this thread yesterday, and I like what you're doing with this game. If you haven't done this already (and if you have, never mind) I could whip up that video for ya.

Anyways; regarding Naruto itself, I checked out after reading though what amounts to "Sasuke: The Major Motion Picture" in the manga. Saw that and was like, "I'll come after he's done."
Best arc in my opinion was the Chunnin Exam. Just for the parallels between Naruto and Gaara.

I didn't say anything

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 9, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Zannosuke posted:

I hadn't done anything since it didn't seem to garner interest from the thread, but if you still want to, I certainly won't stop you.

ChorpSaway, in the OP posted:

Also, please don’t post spoilers for anything we haven’t seen in the game. There’s plenty of backstory to talk about, and I’m sure our group won’t hit all of the important points, so feel free to help clarify things for people if you have the knowledge to.
Hey Onmi, between this last post and also this one you've been posting kinda bad and also not following the rule of not talking about content not seen in the game yet. Please refrain from this sort of posting from now on, please and thank you.

Meanwhile, the next update is still on schedule for tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ChorpSaway posted:

I hadn't done anything since it didn't seem to garner interest from the thread, but if you still want to, I certainly won't stop you.

Hey Onmi, between this last post and also this one you've been posting kinda bad and also not following the rule of not talking about content not seen in the game yet. Please refrain from this sort of posting from now on, please and thank you.

Meanwhile, the next update is still on schedule for tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Sorry, wont happen again.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Not getting specific, the upcoming conclusion of Naruto leaves me with a very conflicted feeling. I haven't liked the series in a while, and it feels like it's rushing towards an abrupt conclusion after being drawn out ludicrously for the last year. Yet I'm going to miss it somehow. There's always gonna be the memories of the fun I had with it when I was younger and the games that came from it.
RIP in peace naturo the comic book for shonen jump, why did I put up with 15 years of this crap

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I've thought about this off and on for a while and i think my biggest complaint with Naruto is that they come up with really neat ideas but never seem to stick with them. For instance the Curse Mark Orochimaru puts on Sasuke before the time skip and, from what i remember, it literally made him slowly turn into a demonic looking monster whenever he used his chakra for jutsu except after the first couple rounds of the Chuunin exam Kakashi just sealed it away like it was no big deal.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Smornstein posted:

I've thought about this off and on for a while and i think my biggest complaint with Naruto is that they come up with really neat ideas but never seem to stick with them. For instance the Curse Mark Orochimaru puts on Sasuke before the time skip and, from what i remember, it literally made him slowly turn into a demonic looking monster whenever he used his chakra for jutsu except after the first couple rounds of the Chuunin exam Kakashi just sealed it away like it was no big deal.

Kakashi sealing it was a big deal. In the sense that he really should've used a better one.

The seal on the curse mark is dependent on that person's will. If they want to resist the curse mark it works like a champ, but if they start to give in to the power the curse mark offers, or lose faith in their ability to fight without it, then the seal is rendered useless.

Sasuke might be the most unstable person/has the most fragile ego in the series, so the seal does jack poo poo for him in protecting him from the curse mark, especially when he sees Naruto jumping ahead by leaps and bounds while he hits a wall following Gaara's defeat and ESPECIALLY after Itachi ignores him in favor of Naruto. The part where Itachi made him relive the brutal murder of his entire clan probably didn't help either.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

:dance:
Awesome! I'll try and have it up soon.

I'll split the video up into basic and advanced stuff. Though I'll be using the Full Burst version of the sequel, the combat mechanics remain pretty much the same throughout the series.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we're back from our mission, and it's time to max and relax! What better way to enjoy your free time than with some sidequests! Let's have some fun in the city as we begin Chapter 2 of the game!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Hinata Hyuga
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Kurenai. Like her cousin Neji, she can use the Byakugan and focuses on close-range unarmed combat for battle. She comes from the main house of the Hyuga family, but was deemed unworthy to take the place as the clan head due to her meek demeanor. She is quiet, calm, and polite, and lacks self-confidence. Ever since she was a child, she admired Naruto for his unwavering confidence, and hoped that one day she would be able to better herself as he did. Hinata also has a mad crush on Naruto but he’s a shonen manga hero meaning he’s an idiot who can’t pick up on this.

Kiba Inuzuka
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Kurenai. Short-tempered and impulsive, he loves to fight and enjoys friendly competition. His fighting style is based on synchronization with his ninja dog companion. He has heightened senses overall and often fights on all fours.

Akamaru
Canine companion to Kiba, based on a Great Pyrenees. Along with various attacking techniques that he shares with Kiba, he can also use the Dynamic Marking technique to ninja pee on enemies to allow for easier tracking. Unlike other ninja dogs, Akamaru has not been shown to have the gift of speech.

Shino Aburame
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Kurenai. Stoic and mysterious, he almost never shows any emotion and tends to keep to himself. He literally has bugs living inside his bodily chakra streams that exist in a form of symbiosis. Most of his techniques are based around using these bugs to confuse and trap opponents, after which the bugs will consume the opponent’s chakra.

Choji Akimichi
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Asuma. He is fat and all of his techniques are about using that to his advantage, as his family is able to convert raw calories into chakra. He is a docile person who is sensitive about his weight, leading to a general lack of self-confidence. However, nothing will stop him from helping his friends. He is widely considered to be the most physically strong ninja of his generation, and can change size at will in order to increase his physical strength.

Ino Yamanaka
A member of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Asuma. She is confident in herself and spends a lot of time making sure she always looks her best. She’s outspoken and kind, though she can be bossy when her teammates aren’t working hard. She has always been Sakura’s rival for Sasuke’s affections, though they are also good friends and allies. Her main techniques are based around possessing others and gaining control of their bodies for short periods of time, though she has also shown some proficiency for medical techniques and close-range combat.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

One of my favorite little things about the Storm series is that a team in Free Mode with just Naruto and Hinata on it has always gotten the team name "Secret Lovers" :allears:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I wonder if Okami Ninja has ever summoned a dickbutt?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I do not like Hinata... I mean I hate this entire series but Hinata especially rubs me the wrong way. I just happen to hate characters of her archetype and the fact is she plays it so bloody to a T that I just roll my eyes. I mean she's about a step removed from Orihime's "KUROSAKI-KUN" spam. And I just... I don't like characters like that.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hinata would've been a much better character if that spine she grew in the chunin exams had actually stuck around.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Ok so Gaara, Itachi, Sasori, Shikamaru...and now Shino talks in low, raspy whispers. So I think that's like, five guys now who have that voice? Either way, I think I might just keep a count, if anyone else thinks it's amusing :D

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

sirtommygunn posted:

Hinata would've been a much better character if that spine she grew in the chunin exams had actually stuck around.

Considering how she jumped in to help Naruto against AngstCorpse, I'd say it kind of did. I mean, she got her rear end kicked, but she was the only one who even tried after Naruto showed up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's Naruto's birthday! Happy birthday, Naruto! :toot: (The character, not the comic)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

I do not like Hinata... I mean I hate this entire series but Hinata especially rubs me the wrong way. I just happen to hate characters of her archetype and the fact is she plays it so bloody to a T that I just roll my eyes. I mean she's about a step removed from Orihime's "KUROSAKI-KUN" spam. And I just... I don't like characters like that.

I see what you mean...but I personally never minded her myself. I mean, she doesn't spend her days pining after some emotionally distant, arrogant butthead the way Sakura and Ino do, she never ONCE was in anyway hurtful to people the way Sakura and Ino were, and there's also something to be said for someone who's got so much warrior spirit, that they'll fight the way she fought Neji. I mean, that wasn't even a life or death match, and she STILL fought him till blood was literally shooting out of her mouth...

Point is, girl's pretty cool. Strong, kind, isn't attracted only to superficial things...she's got a good head on her shoulders.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 10, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

I see what you mean...but I personally never minded her myself. I mean, she doesn't spend her days pining after some emotionally distant, arrogant butthead the way Sakura and Ino do, she never ONCE was in anyway hurtful to people the way Sakura and Ino were, and there's also something to be said for someone who's got so much warrior spirit, that they'll fight the way she fought Neji. I mean, that wasn't even a life or death match, and she STILL fought him till blood was literally shooting out of her mouth...

Point is, girl's pretty cool. Strong, kind, isn't attracted only to superficial things...she's got a good head on her shoulders.

No she just spends her days hiding around the corner wanting Naruto to notice her, she's overly shy and dainty in a way that's personally annoying to me. And as for her fight with Neji, it was the one moment in the series. Everyone got at least one. No I don't count the thing that happens in the future, she ran forward and then got bitch-slapped essentially. Now while you spin it in a way that she's a good character, when it comes to the writing itself she's just complete bluh. When she appears at all. I mean... that's everyone in this hole of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

Okami Ninja

Can we just call him this instead of his name please?

• Locked thread