Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I completely missed the connection with that hat. I remembered it was the hat Mickey Mouse had used to do bad things involving too much water and brooms, but I never realized that Yen Sid was supposed to be Disney. That discovery makes the author thing seem a lot more connected to the rest of the show.

In my defense, I was probably single digits in age the last time I watched Fantasia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Macaluso posted:

A mysterious arcade cabinet mysteriously appears in storybrook. Henry goes to play it and suddenly him, Emma, Regina, the Charmings, and Rumple are sucked into Sugar Rush TRON :getin:
Adjusted that for what I want to see.
And it has already gotten a nod, in the 80s flashback episode.

The timeline for this show confuses me, even though I know the answer is just "Magic." We know the 80s happened, and clearly things progressed so that modern Storybrook has still kept up with the times. It's just weird imagining people with kids in school taking them to the same grade thirty years in a row. Or any pregnant women at the time of the curse who were 360 months overdue by the time Emma showed up. Tween girls whose bedroom walls have gone from being covered in posters of the boy-band Menudo, to posters of One Direction, with dozens in-between. Teenage boys who have spent three decades waiting until their birthday next month so they can finally get their driver's licenses.

And when you really want it to get weird, remember that Henry has been in this town since he was a baby, himself completely unaffected by the curse, and he's been watching this all around him as he ages in real time. Every year, he's going to be the only kid in his class to make it to the next grade. He's the only person in the whole town who ever outgrows his clothes. All of his friends when he was five years old are still five while he enters his teens. That girl he had a little crush on in third grade? Yeah, that's kind of weird now.

The fact that Henry hasn't gone completely batshit insane by now stands out to me as maybe the most unbelievable part of the show.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Meant to thumbnail that.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 30, 2014

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I was and am a little concerned about the risks of going from "creepy versions of fairy tales" to "live action Kingdom Hearts", but so far so good. I'm also a little worried about the possibility of another time travel arc. Those tend to be really dangerous to the internal coherence of stories which are not explicitly about time paradoxes. We'll see.

The book and the wizard hat? It could have been (and still might become) super cheesy, but I have to say I'm intrigued.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Wasn't Sidney locked up a while back? Before Regina even thought to play nice? I figure everyone just forgot about him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Captain von Trapp posted:

I was and am a little concerned about the risks of going from "creepy versions of fairy tales" to "live action Kingdom Hearts", but so far so good.

This show has always been lesbian Kingdom Hearts, just with no Final Fantasy.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I am so glad Henry isn't awful anymore.

Where the heck is Mulan?!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kraps posted:

Where the heck is Mulan?!

Hanging with the Darling kids, Ariel and Red. Storybrook is a huge town, presumably.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I just binged through the review show and the premiere. AHHHHhhhh Man, can't you just leave poor Regina alone. Just let her be happy for one complete season. I just hope that by the end of this season Swan makes good on her promise to make sure Regina gets her happy ending. I think it should be good. Can't wait.

Lana Parrilla is the best evil queen.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 1, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dazerbeams posted:

Wasn't Sidney locked up a while back? Before Regina even thought to play nice? I figure everyone just forgot about him.

Sidney was locked up because the actor was on Revolution. Now that he is available again he can reappear.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A Sidney begins life as a Yensid, Emma. :downs:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The book and the wizard hat? It could have been (and still might become) super cheesy, but I have to say I'm intrigued.

This is a show in which the main family mainly wishes themselves out of every possible disaster by saying "But I love him! I wish we could stay happy and in love!" and the disaster just magically doesn't happen, I think the ship has sailed on super cheesy. The show kind of embraces it, which is what makes it work, and Regina and Emma are around to say "Oh, come on!" every time it happens for some mild comic relief.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
"One morning, I woke up hearing my mother and father going at it."

...what?

"They fought a lot."

Oh. Phew.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Josh Dallas, what is that horrible thing they put on your head?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
wow the real snow queen coming to get elsa is actually pretty clever and interesting I'm proud of you once upon a time

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What season do you guys think will be the Harry Potter season? the Star Wars season? I vote 5 for SW because of the film and like 8 for HP because by then there will probably be a new HP spin-off novel and excitement will be all drummed up for the franchise by then. Are there any more Disney franchises they can resurrect? Nightmare Before Christmas? :v:

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 6, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Of all the silly crazy things that happen on this show filled with fairy tales and magic, Charming's story about his father drunk driving his (most likely horse drawn) carriage into a lake is by far the most ridiculous thing to ever be on this show

Also the girl who plays Anna is cute as gently caress

Captain Mog posted:

What season do you guys think will be the Harry Potter season? the Star Wars season? I vote 5 for SW because of the film and like 8 for HP because by then there will probably be a new HP spin-off novel and excitement will be all drummed up for the franchise by then. Are there any more Disney franchises they can resurrect? Nightmare Before Christmas? :v:

Ummm excuse me Harry Potter isn't a Disney owned franchise you philistine

(more Disney franchises would be awesome yes keep it comin Once Upon a Time)

edit: Bo Peep being some kind of evil sorceress was awesome

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Anna was a lot better than the first episode I thought, I must've been the only one in the world who thought she was trying too hard last week's ep. Liking where the season is going. Gonna miss the anthologhy-ish style of flashbacks because they're probably following Anna/Elsa now though (and they have the timeline of that). You can tell someone forced them to have to label the first flashback for each episode for people new to watching the show, because we just got out of order flashbacks and we liked it :colbert:

Also Elizabeth Mitchell is still really hot. But there's no way she's trying to fool people into thinking refreezed ice cream tastes the same as before. No way.

Snow White blowing up on Granny and the dwarves were hilarious too.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Ok, it's not fair to nitpick plausibility in a show whose premise is Disney characters living in Maine, but the writers were just a little lazy in making up a reason Gold couldn't save Emma. Dude can teleport, come on. Just say they couldn't find him in time or something, what with him being on sex vacation and all.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Ok, it's not fair to nitpick plausibility in a show whose premise is Disney characters living in Maine, but the writers were just a little lazy in making up a reason Gold couldn't save Emma. Dude can teleport, come on. Just say they couldn't find him in time or something, what with him being on sex vacation and all.

Heh, I laughed at that one. "Nope can't help or I'll kill her too." Not only can HE teleport, but he also teleports other people (see finale of last season). I'm sure there's nothing he could have done. Nope.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Merlinicus posted:

Heh, I laughed at that one. "Nope can't help or I'll kill her too." Not only can HE teleport, but he also teleports other people (see finale of last season). I'm sure there's nothing he could have done. Nope.

I laughed too because I imagined it as him just being a jerk. He totally knows he could help but he doesn't feel like it. I kind of miss the Mr. Gold of the beginning of the show.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Macaluso posted:

edit: Bo Peep being some kind of evil sorceress was awesome

Right?? I was totally surprised and pleased with this new bad guy.

Sober posted:

You can tell someone forced them to have to label the first flashback for each episode for people new to watching the show, because we just got out of order flashbacks and we liked it :colbert:

That really stuck out to me also...

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

radical meme posted:

Well I just binged through the review show and the premiere. AHHHHhhhh Man, can't you just leave poor Regina alone. Just let her be happy for one complete season. I just hope that by the end of this season Swan makes good on her promise to make sure Regina gets her happy ending. I think it should be good. Can't wait.

Lana Parrilla is the best evil queen.

Best bit of alchemy the show stumbled upon was the casting of Parrilla. She's watchable when she's being all campy and drag queen and evil, but she's superb when she's vulnerable. What they want us to want for the character and what viewers will naturally want for the actor line up.

EDIT: The penultimate episode of the Neverland arc last season was my favorite. In a cast full of characters who just had to abandon their children because reasons, in a Neverland defined by people abandoning their familial responsibilities, the show finally made a half-assed feint at honoring the idea of Regina as an adoptive parent to Henry.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 6, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Of all the silly crazy things that happen on this show filled with fairy tales and magic, Charming's story about his father drunk driving his (most likely horse drawn) carriage into a lake is by far the most ridiculous thing to ever be on this show

That really stood out to me too. Was the horse pulling the carriage drunk?!

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

That really stood out to me too. Was the horse pulling the carriage drunk?!

And didn't he say the horse he gave to Anna was his father's? Did the horse kill his father but survive? Was it a different horse? Did I mishear the line entirely and sound like an idiot just then? I don't know, that whole storytelling dialogue was really awkward and forced-sounding.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
I thought he said that his father died after falling into a ravine, which makes more sense.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Lucania posted:

I thought he said that his father died after falling into a ravine, which makes more sense.

I guess the horse might not have been hitched to the cart very well due to drunkedness and the two seperated unexpectedly while on a bridge. I don't know why simply dying from drinking too much wasn't used though. Maybe they were just too enamored with fantasy world drunk driving analogy?

I half expect the 'find the author of the book' storyline to end up with Regina in the ABC offices yelling at the two shows creators to write a better ending for her....

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 6, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So instead of being related to the Charming clan Anna is David's sensai/inspiration/combat instructor. I guess it would have been really strange if she was like Reginas half-sister from her fathers side or something like that.

Ginnifer Goodwin looked like she was in a fatsuit/was very puffy, probably from getting a child in may but still, it looked very strange.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

GaussianCopula posted:

Ginnifer Goodwin looked like she was in a fatsuit/was very puffy, probably from getting a child in may but still, it looked very strange.

I noticed that too. I wonder if that baby is actually hers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

GaussianCopula posted:

So instead of being related to the Charming clan Anna is David's sensai/inspiration/combat instructor. I guess it would have been really strange if she was like Reginas half-sister from her fathers side or something like that.

I'm kinda glad they dialed down the mad insane family tree for this season, probably because they were pretty much taking Frozen characters straight out of the movie. Probably would've confused the poo poo out of new viewers.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Sober posted:

I'm kinda glad they dialed down the mad insane family tree for this season, probably because they were pretty much taking Frozen characters straight out of the movie. Probably would've confused the poo poo out of new viewers.

Have they though? Just because Anna hasn't turned out to be Emma's aunt yet doesn't mean it can't still happen. There's plenty of time.

Although, admittedly they probably can't tie in the Frozen characters to the family tree even if they wanted to. Disney wouldn't let them, if I had to guess.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Merlinicus posted:

Have they though? Just because Anna hasn't turned out to be Emma's aunt yet doesn't mean it can't still happen. There's plenty of time.

Although, admittedly they probably can't tie in the Frozen characters to the family tree even if they wanted to. Disney wouldn't let them, if I had to guess.

I remember reading somewhere where the writer said they had to drop through a lot of hoops before Disney would let them use the characters, which isn't surprising. Disney approved the whole character arc etc.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

fork bomb posted:

I noticed that too. I wonder if that baby is actually hers.

yeah they (her and josh dallas) just had a baby so I'm pretty sure the on show pregnancy was real

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ashez2ashes posted:

I remember reading somewhere where the writer said they had to drop through a lot of hoops before Disney would let them use the characters, which isn't surprising. Disney approved the whole character arc etc.

The show has them clearly starting off after the movie is over, which I'm sure was something Disney forced them to do. It is a bit odd though because Elsa should have control of her powers at this point.

I want them to figure out a way to bring Kuzco to Storybrook. I don't care how they do it. Make him have some magical powers and is trying to turn the town into a big waterpark.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I feel like i'm missing a lot of little things because i never saw frozen.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ashez2ashes posted:

I guess the horse might not have been hitched to the cart very well due to drunkedness and the two seperated unexpectedly while on a bridge. I don't know why simply dying from drinking too much wasn't used though. Maybe they were just too enamored with fantasy world drunk driving analogy?

I'm like, 95% certain this exact thing happens in the novel Black Beauty.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I was wondering why the ice queen and Elsa casting was separate!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ginny Goodwin just had a baby. It's understandable that she still has still has some pregnancy pounds and absolutely bizarre that people would fixate on it enough to find it "strange" or compare it to a fatsuit.

That Josh Dallas wig, though. :stare:

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

chapstickie posted:

And didn't he say the horse he gave to Anna was his father's? Did the horse kill his father but survive? Was it a different horse?
That was another part we laughed at.

David: Here, take this horse we've had for years. I don't want or need it anymore.
Horse: ... :(

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Ginny Goodwin just had a baby. It's understandable that she still has still has some pregnancy pounds and absolutely bizarre that people would fixate on it enough to find it "strange" or compare it to a fatsuit.

That Josh Dallas wig, though. :stare:

Real pregnancies look so much different than perfect tv pregnancies, that's it's weird to see them. Like the character Pam on The Office was pregnant twice in the show. Once where the actress was actually pregnant and once where she wasn't, and the difference between the two is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Reo posted:

That was another part we laughed at.

David: Here, take this horse we've had for years. I don't want or need it anymore.
Horse: ... :(

One day in Storybrooke, David gets gunned down in the street. When they catch the culprit it turns out to be a previously unseen character who now lives under a bridge near the docks but used to be David's father's horse, and he's been planning this the whole drat time.

THE END

• Locked thread