Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Ultra/MiniNovas are actual synths and the UltraNova at least is fully or at least mostly programmable from the panel, though due to the limited number of knobs it might be easier to do some/many things with the plugin. The plugin is just an editor though, it doesn't make any sound.

If you want something that's just a controller, I would look at the Akai MPKs, the Korg Taktiles, and the Nektar stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'd certainly add the Roland A-500Pro to that list as a known good controller. Korg Taktile looks nice feature-wise though; an arpeggiator is a pretty welcome addition. Haven't seen any user reviews of it because it's pretty new.

For maximum tweakability on a real polysynth, take a look at the Waldorf Blofeld + dedicated Behringer BCR2000 combo as well.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

The waldorf has no keyboard, and I'd be using mycheap, lovely samson keyboard to control it until I get something better. I want the features they have but I think I'd miss the tweak-ability of analogs.

Any thoughts?

Waldorf(s) are fully programmable from the front panel and every/most parameters are cc controllable. The Pulse being a pretty simple synth wouldn't even need a controller, if you need one I'd suggest NOT getting a bcr2000 (unlabelled rows of knobs suck unless you'll only use it for one purpose). If you have ipad/iphone/etc you could make a controller pretty easily as it's just cc, and have the controls grouped and labelled any way you want.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I use the Impulse 61, I posted a review of it in the equipment review thread but basically I like it quite a lot. I use it both for live work and for composing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

W424 posted:

Waldorf(s) are fully programmable from the front panel and every/most parameters are cc controllable. The Pulse being a pretty simple synth wouldn't even need a controller, if you need one I'd suggest NOT getting a bcr2000 (unlabelled rows of knobs suck unless you'll only use it for one purpose). If you have ipad/iphone/etc you could make a controller pretty easily as it's just cc, and have the controls grouped and labelled any way you want.
Touchscreen controls blow. But yeah, I said dedicated and I meant it. Otherwise there's no point.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I ended up buying a Korg Taktile 49 and Arturia's V collection (on sale). Now I just gotta get it set up in Reaper, which seems to be a pain.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Anarch posted:

So Steam just launched a storefront in Japan and Ohmicide was briefly mispriced for ¥1249 ($12). The price has since been fixed, but some resellers are selling them near cost ($12-20 in TF2 keys). Even better, since Ohmicide is a VST it doesn't require Steam once installed.

drat, thanks folks. Just got an Ohmicide for 6 keys, almost entirely paid for by trading cards. I like this brave new world.

There's still a couple more going for 7 and 9 if anyone else wants one (http://steamcommunity.com/app/279280/tradingforum/). Now I'm going to play with TouchDAW and see if it plays nicely over 5GHz wifi.

misterKeith
Feb 9, 2014

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
What are your guys thoughts on Serum by Xfer?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Blue Cat Audio is one of my favorite lesser-known plugin developers. They do cool meters, tools, and processing plugins. They've been firing on all cylinders lately, and this latest thing, Plug'n Script, is really promising for developing your own personal-use plugins.

quote:

Blue Cat's Plug'n Script is a scripting plug-in that can be programmed to quickly build custom audio and MIDI effects or virtual instruments without quitting your favorite DAW software.

With this plug-in, you can write your own effects with very little knowledge about programming: no need to invest time and money to learn all these plug-in formats, they are all supported here already! If you do not care about programming, Blue Cat's Plug'n Script can also be used as a regular processor with existing scripts or to get someone else write this very particular effect you have been searching for years and cannot find anywhere.

It is also possible for audio software companies to use this plug-in to quickly prototype algorithms and reduce the time required to develop audio products: writing and testing scripts is lightning fast!

This plug-in has been in our lab for several years and has been used to prototype lots of our existing plug-ins. It uses the high performance AngelScript scripting engine, originally developed for video games, with a JIT compiler that helps compiling scripts into machine code for optimal performance.

The syntax of the AngelScript language is close to Java, C#, C++ or javascript, making it very easy to learn. It is also convenient to reuse your scripts into native code, or integrate code snippets found on the web into your script.

The plug-in includes dozens of audio and MIDI processing scripts as well as several virtual instruments and utilities to enhance your workflow. They can be used as is, or as examples to get started to write your own scripts.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

Blue Cat Audio is one of my favorite lesser-known plugin developers. They do cool meters, tools, and processing plugins. They've been firing on all cylinders lately, and this latest thing, Plug'n Script, is really promising for developing your own personal-use plugins.
This looks interesting, thanks!

Which reminds me: has anyone ITT played around with SynthEdit as a sorta similar thing? I feel like it's one of those things I periodically go back to look at, but I've not actually yet tried it out. I'm sure I have at least a few plugins I use from time to time that were made with it, and during one of those occasions where I go to look up more about it and check it out, you see the typical type of forum post where some people claim "real plugins" aren't made with it. :rolleyes: Still, I'm sure there are real limits, but I was wondering what those, y'know, actually are, to see if they matter for things I might like to theoretically make with it. Last time I looked into it some time ago, it seemed like it wasn't being updated for newer platforms and didn't have 64-bit support? I'm not sure.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

minidracula posted:

Last time I looked into it some time ago, it seemed like it wasn't being updated for newer platforms and didn't have 64-bit support? I'm not sure.
Almost any time I learn of an awesome-looking new plugin that's 32-bit only it turns out to be SynthEdit based. 64-bit has been in alpha for 2 years, but he's apparently still actively working on it. (Just installed it to see how old the alpha is and several binary files the latest MSI installs are timestamped from just five days ago.)

There are lots of limitations to the 64-bit version. http://www.synthedit.com/members/alpha/

It seems more like Reaktor in that it's not script based. I'm probably going to invest some time in ramping up on the JUCE framework, because C++ is my jam: http://www.juce.com/about-juce

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread

RandomCheese posted:

Man that was a complex process.

To summarise:
- Figure out what the hell Anarch meant with his moon words.
- Find seller hocking ohmicide for keys ( http://steamcommunity.com/app/279280/tradingforum/ )
- Add funds to steam wallet ($25US)
- Buy 9 keys (got them direct through steam for $2.54 per unit. The price fluctuated every second and my purchase was a buy order from 4 different key sellers)
- Engage in trade with steam user from japan (made more difficult by browser issues, had to do it on a windows PC). Once working the trade interface was actually pretty neat.
- Add ohmicide from inventory to library.
- Download ohmicide on windows PC because steam version doesn't support apple.
- Get installation key from windows installer.
- Create account on ohmforce site, register ohmicide key to account.
- Download AU version.

This is not how I envisioned spending my evening, but hey, cheap plugin and the reinforced knowledge that the world is a far stranger place than I could ever imagine.

Hell yeah, thanks for this! I just bought an expensive plugin for $17.50 through a game store :coolfish:

I was a bit confused at first because there are multiple types of keys you can get, but I ended up just grabbing 7 of the type you posted (Mann Co. Supply Crate Key). The seller had a bunch of them in his inventory already, confirming that.

I also had a problem where Steam made me authenticate my web browser and wanted to make me wait a week before making any trades. I found that Steam has a web browser built into it if you select Big Picture mode. I don't use Steam often, y'see

...and then I watched a 30 minute ad on youtube and bought Serum. I don't know what self control is

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Plugin Boutique is having a sale on lots of Slate Digital products. 50% on some, 60% on others. The prices are lower than the current sale prices if you order direct from Slate.

I just went all in, and picked up FG-X (mastering compressor/limiter/metering), Virtual Console Collection, Virtual Tape Machines, and Virtual Buss Compressors.

I've got an 80s style track I'm working on right now that's just sounding way too modern and clinical, so I'm going to see what I can do with these plugs to warm it up. Groove 3 has some tuts on several of them, so going through those this week to get ramped up. Will post the track when it's done (assuming I don't gently caress it up).

EDIT: VTM is included in the 50% sale. (For some reason it's not listed in that link above.)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sadly all of Slate's require you to buy an iLok so to hell with them.

Speaking of 80s stuff, theres a new Casio CZ soft synth out. Bought it when it was released and really liking it so far apart from some really screwy preset management. There's some good sport for it on KVR for it as well with links or original documentation and some extra patches, including the factory originals and the optional ROM carts.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Bananalogue posted:

I already owned an iLok, so I got the download-only versions. I will take iLok/eLicenser any day over challenge/response like Korg's stuff and limited-activation stuff like Ableton Live.

But variety is the spice of life.

I almost bought that CZ thing last night, though. Sounds great.

DinoGuitarKid
Nov 9, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

Plugin Boutique is having a sale on lots of Slate Digital products. 50% on some, 60% on others. The prices are lower than the current sale prices if you order direct from Slate.

I just went all in, and picked up FG-X (mastering compressor/limiter/metering), Virtual Console Collection, Virtual Tape Machines, and Virtual Buss Compressors.

I've got an 80s style track I'm working on right now that's just sounding way too modern and clinical, so I'm going to see what I can do with these plugs to warm it up. Groove 3 has some tuts on several of them, so going through those this week to get ramped up. Will post the track when it's done (assuming I don't gently caress it up).

EDIT: VTM is included in the 50% sale. (For some reason it's not listed in that link above.)

The Slate stuff is really really good, and great value if you pick it up in the sales. Would advise picking this stuff up if you can/need it. I only own the VCC and VTM, but I'm really looking forward to their VMR which has been "coming soon" for what feels like ages.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bananalogue posted:

Well that saved me some time, thanks!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Y'all got donglephobia.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Something about paying $54.95 for the pleasure of having some bullshit DRM doesn't sit right with me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananalogue posted:

Something about paying $54.95 for the pleasure of having some bullshit DRM doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, that. The idea of paying money to a company that neither made nor contributed to the functionality of the software that I already paid for, in the interests of copy protection that completely fails to fight piracy, doesn't really excite me much.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Plus there was the whole "our system hosed up so you can't use your paid plugins anymore" thing that went on over a period of months a few years back, that event alone is enough to ward me away from the iLok system.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

Y'all got donglephobia.

I had to buy one after getting the Arturia V collection which was kind of annoying. NI and UVI let me install stuff on multiple computers, why won't you let me Arturia :saddowns:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Radiapathy posted:

Y'all got donglephobia.

I cannot believe that the Plugin Makes are still clinging to Ilok. It adds overhead to developing and maintaining plugins, and not only does it not stop piracy, it actually encourages it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

I cannot believe that the Plugin Makes are still clinging to Ilok. It adds overhead to developing and maintaining plugins, and not only does it not stop piracy, it actually encourages it.

Yep. For audio software I'll just skip using something if it has a dongle. There is a piece of software I use for my work, though, where that wasn't an option for a long time. My response was to buy the software, chuck the dongle in a drawer, and use the pirated version instead.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

HollisBrown posted:

I dunno, I think people are super excited to buy a whole new suite of software and probably Cubase or whatever else if they misplace or damage a 3 inch piece of plastic

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I just got an email about a new VST wavetable synth with some fun things like drawing/importing your own waves on it's built in wavetable editor.

http://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum

Haven't listened to demo's yet since I'm on a jobsite but it looks interesting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A Winner is Jew posted:

So I just got an email about a new VST wavetable synth with some fun things like drawing/importing your own waves on it's built in wavetable editor.

Serum is rad as hell. It also makes my processor its bitch. Make sure you try the demo first.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

What is "restricted to 20 minutes of use per operation" supposed to mean? :confused:
I'll be checking it out though, I'm a sucker for wavetables.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Your Computer posted:

What is "restricted to 20 minutes of use per operation" supposed to mean? :confused:
I'll be checking it out though, I'm a sucker for wavetables.

It stops working after 20 minutes. You also can't save any patches.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

It stops working after 20 minutes. You also can't save any patches.

The way they did it is actually pretty neat! Each instance you load up lasts 20 min, after which it'll quietly shut off. The rest of your instances (if you have any) will still continue until they too reach 20 min.

It's a super neat synth, but so expensive :negative:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Computer posted:

The way they did it is actually pretty neat! Each instance you load up lasts 20 min, after which it'll quietly shut off. The rest of your instances (if you have any) will still continue until they too reach 20 min.

It's a super neat synth, but so expensive :negative:

Yeah, $130 for a synth is super expensive when Bazille (which is a loving amazing VST modular that everyone should get) is only $90 right now.

That and I'm waiting until the 16'th to see if I'm getting my ipad this year or early next year.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

People on other boards have been very excited about Serum. Coincidentally, Waves just released a sort of "Serum-lite" called Codex.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/codex

While it may not be as flexible as Serum, it looks a little more accessible to me, and I'm thinking of picking it up. (Intro price is $99). It has wavetable import, which seems pretty nice.

I might have to get in on the Bazille intro offer as well, although I am a little daunted by that UI.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Radiapathy posted:

I might have to get in on the Bazille intro offer as well, although I am a little daunted by that UI.

The UI is kinda scary but they have a really nicely laid out user's manual on the site that I looked at which seems like it explains everything in pretty good detail.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

There is a comprehensive-seeming Codex vs Serum thread on KVR now, which is 100% more entertaining if you read all of the OP's posts in the voice of the Simpsons Comic Book Guy.

Functionality-wise people definitely seem to be in favor of Serum, although I think I am still more interested in Codex because I'm afraid Serum would require more time than I'm willing to invest in learning properly, and I'm already familiar with the new Waves UIs that Codex shares similarities to (Element, MetaFilter).

Tomorrow (October 7) there is a free live Waves webcast at 11:00am Pacific time where you can get a $50 voucher, which I imagine you could put toward Codex, bringing it down to $50 USD. I might give it a shot... need to find a place to hide with my laptop.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
what sets these apart from Zebra?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What is it about KVR and insufferable arrogant dickheads?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

KVR is an even split between pedantic dorks and people who type like grandmas.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They seem obsessed with bumping 6-year-old threads as well.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Bananalogue posted:

What is it about KVR and insufferable arrogant dickheads?

GearSlutz can't hold them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

BKPR posted:

KVR is an even split between pedantic dorks and people who type like grandmas.

can it be both