Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Kafka Esq. posted:

It was me referencing Paul Wells. Nigel Wright made the PMO lock down to the point where his influence was the only thing that mattered. It simultaneously actually made the PMO nicer, but also vulnerable.

:tipshat:

Shoulda guessed it was you Kafka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

My understanding is that teenagers are very price sensitive when it comes to alcohol and tobacco products. When you make those things more expensive then teenagers consume less of them, and since many people develop dependencies during their youth we probably can reduce the number of addicts by pricing young people out of those consumer groups.

Obviously it's a blunt instrument and really this calls for greater study but in principle it isn't ridiculous to think that raising the price of habit forming substances can reduce addiction rates.

Yeah, it's definitely a very effective instrument in terms of stopping people before they start, I just question if it doesn't come at an unacceptably high cost to current addicts. There's definitely people spending money they can't afford to spend on their addictions, both legal and otherwise. I'm not sure how best to solve that problem. One issue that I have is that sin tax rates continue to increase regularly -- surely that's not necessary just to price them out of the "easily affordable for teenagers" range.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

PT6A posted:

Again, why should specific categories of products (especially as narrow as "cigars" and not simply all forms of tobacco) be singled out for this sort of thing? Why not just have a higher GST rate on anything other than food or clothing, or anything above a certain price? A cigar is only an expensive luxury good in Canada because our taxes drive up the price considerably; if they were taxed by weight similar to how pipe tobacco is taxed, they'd be far more within the reach of the average person. Further, it's not like obvious luxury goods like watches that cost more than my salary are subject to an extra punitive tax that in some cases reaches over 100% of wholesale value (and, by the time markups are applied, contribute much more to the cost of the final product).

If you want to have a discussion about raising the GST, we can do that. But don't pretend that the specific cigar duty, such as it currently exists, is anything but ill-conceived policy.

Oh, I'm not. In my earlier post I specifically said that we should be taxing the amount of tobacco or nicotine in order to curb consumption, not in order to tax cigars as a luxury product. It's very clearly weird policy.

Helsing posted:

My understanding is that teenagers are very price sensitive when it comes to alcohol and tobacco products. When you make those things more expensive then teenagers consume less of them, and since many people develop dependencies during their youth we probably can reduce the number of addicts by pricing young people out of those consumer groups.

Obviously it's a blunt instrument and really this calls for greater study but in principle it isn't ridiculous to think that raising the price of habit forming substances can reduce addiction rates.

You're right, and in fact the data seem to bear it out as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a primate posted:

Oh, I'm not. In my earlier post I specifically said that we should be taxing the amount of tobacco or nicotine in order to curb consumption, not in order to tax cigars as a luxury product. It's very clearly weird policy.

You're right, and in fact the data seem to bear it out as well.

It would be nearly impossible to tax based on nicotine levels, since it's a handmade agricultural product. It would also be a little silly, given the fact that we can't even have cigarettes called "light" or "mild" anymore (less nicotine doesn't make a safer cigarette), and the fact that nicotine absorption patterns differ greatly between pipe, cigar, and cigarette smokers. On the other hand, we already tax other forms of tobacco by weight, so we should probably do that. We even already have a rate set up for it!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Again, why should specific categories of products (especially as narrow as "cigars" and not simply all forms of tobacco) be singled out for this sort of thing? Why not just have a higher GST rate on anything other than food or clothing, or anything above a certain price? A cigar is only an expensive luxury good in Canada because our taxes drive up the price considerably; if they were taxed by weight similar to how pipe tobacco is taxed, they'd be far more within the reach of the average person. Further, it's not like obvious luxury goods like watches that cost more than my salary are subject to an extra punitive tax that in some cases reaches over 100% of wholesale value (and, by the time markups are applied, contribute much more to the cost of the final product).

If you want to have a discussion about raising the GST, we can do that. But don't pretend that the specific cigar duty, such as it currently exists, is anything but ill-conceived policy.

I can't speak to cigars specifically, but one very important rationale for having higher sin taxes rather than just a higher GST is that, once again, you're monetizing the cost of a negative externality, in this case primarily the healthcare costs caused by people drinking and smoking any kind of tobacco, both of which are incredibly bad for you health-wise and increase your risk for a number of different costly diseases. Sin taxes may not be hugely effective at stopping people from buying alcohol and tobacco, except for poor teenagers, but they do force those people to contribute to the government which then foots the bill for their health treatment, or for the police who arrest them when they drive drunk, or for the counselors who try to help addicts quit their addictions in the first place, and so on.

a primate posted:

Disagree: they're all terrible (MGD is the best though, you're right)

Ok, so we're pledging $10M in aid for Syrian and Iraqi refugees

And it looks like we'll be sending troops as well as the CF-18s. "600 personnel" means boots on the ground, doesn't it?

To be honest, by this point this is probably how many people it takes to keep six CF-18s flying in adverse conditions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It'd be pretty fun if we just made it illegal to sell tobacco, fullstop.

You can't easily mass produce that poo poo illicitly like weed, and there's no immediate intoxicating effect (such as with other substances) from it which would lead to a huge black market demand, so once the current filthy addicts died off we'd be free of it once and for all! :v:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

You can't easily mass produce that poo poo illicitly like weed, and there's no immediate intoxicating effect (such as with other substances) from it which would lead to a huge black market demand, so once the current filthy addicts died off we'd be free of it once and for all! :v:

There would be 1000 people gunned down in illegal tobacco smuggling rings within a week of the prohibitions start.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Okay, so, here's iPolitics with a rundown on what we learned in QP today:

quote:

Canada’s military contribution to fighting ISIL in Iraq is either a moral imperative or the first step towards a familiar quagmire; that much was clear from the motion the Harper government tabled Friday, and the opposition’s immediate, well, opposition.

Monday saw both sides further entrench behind those convictions: first in a late-morning debate on Friday’s motion, and then in question period. Before all that, though, NDP leader Thomas Mulcair used weekend protests by “thousands of Canadians in cities from coast to coast” to lead off with yet another demand for a full public inquiry into the 1,200 murdered missing indigenous women. Again, it was Status of Women Minister Kellie Leitch up to field the question.

A full public inquiry is equal to 40 studies

Faced with the unenviable task of explaining why a public inquiry into the deaths and disappearances of Canadian aboriginal women is unnecessary, Leitch has managed decently well thus far in QP. But in Monday’s lone exchange on the subject, she was particularly sardonic.

“Unlike the NDP, who want to propose — ‘Let’s do another study’ — we already have 40. Let’s be very clear, these victims of crime need action today — now — and that’s what we’re delivering on,” she answered Mulcair.

She also seemed to suggest that an inquiry wouldn’t result in victims being heard: “I encourage them to get on board to make sure that these women have an opportunity to have an opportunity to make sure that they, as victims of crime — they are actually listened to,” she said.

An opinion, it’s safe to say, that isn’t shared by the protesters who shut down the bridge between Prince Edward County and the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory near Belleville, Ontario on Saturday.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend if he gives me permission

In the government’s Islamic State motion, the prime minister said the Canadian mission won’t extend to Syria unless it gains the support of the Syrian government, as it has the Iraqi government. The next line, of course, was about Canada’s “revulsion to the actions of the Assad regime”. The NDP has chosen to interpret that as giving — in Mulcair’s words — “credibility” to an evil dictator. But Defence Minister Rob Nicholson wasn’t about to countenance the Official Opposition’s pacifism in the face of “direct threats to Canada”.

Liberals can be smart when they aren’t in government

With former Liberal MPs breaking ranks, Conservatives were eager to quote every single one who’s supported their strong stand against ISIL. The most significant being Bob Rae, who expressed his opinion in the Globe and Mail and Lloyd Axworthy and Ujjal Dosanjh , who did the same in the National Post.

Canada takes care of its polar bears

Citing new research carried out over three decades, NDP environment critic Megan Leslie wanted to know what the government was doing for the declining polar bear population. It was a question Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq was pleased to answer. She’s looking forward to releasing a report herself. It was concluded last week, she said. It’s main finding? “Canada has one of the best polar bear management systems in the world.”

Canadian mail delivery is being privatized

CBC reported on Monday that a new private mail service, You Have Mail, is preparing to offer home delivery mail service to fill the gap created by Canada Post’s decision to move to community mailboxes in urban areas. That was easy enough to predict, indepedent MP André Bellavance suggested. Why, he wanted to know, do Canadians now have to pay $20 to $60 to get home delivery? “The reality is,” Transport Minister Lisa Raitt replied, “they don’t.” But then said community mailboxes are party of Canada Post’s five-point restructuring plan. So maybe they do.

edit: You know what, here's the whole evening brief because it's the longest I've seen:

quote:

The Lead:

The weightiest responsibility of parliamentarians in a democracy was brought home to the House of Commons today as MPs debated sending Canadians into harm's way in the U.S.-led coalition fight against the Islamic State in Iraq. Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird introduced the government's motion and opened the debate with a bit of political canniness by quoting former Liberal Leader Bob Rae supporting a Canadian combat role in the war, underscoring a rift in the Liberal Party on the question. Along with the six fighter jets, refuelling and surveillance aircraft and 600 troops pledged for the mission, Baird also announced $10 million in aid to provide services and treatment for Syrian and Iraqi refugees who have been victims of sexual abuse. Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair moved to limit the mission to non-combat operations, introducing an amendment that would allow Canadian forces to transport weapons for up to three months, increase humanitarian aid to the region and provide assistance in the investigation and prosecution of war crimes. Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau left the debate to foreign affairs critic Marc Garneau while he attended a speech by Hillary Clinton (see below). The largely symbolic debate — the Conservative majority means the combat-mission motion will be passed — is expected to continue into Tuesday with a vote Tuesday night. For the CBC, poll analyst Eric Grenier goes over the latest numbers showing broad support for a combat mission.

In question period, Mulcair asked why a Canadian advance team was sent to Iraq before the House voted and why the Harper government is lending legitimacy to a "genocidal maniac" like Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad by conditioning airstrikes in Syria on his permission. See Five things we learned in QP here.

In Canada:

Former first lady, former Secretary of State, former senator, former presidential contender and likely future presidential contender Hillary Clinton brought her well-heeled road show to Ottawa today with a speech and Q & A at the Ottawa Convention Centre. In an address sponsored by the progressive think tank Canada 2020, Clinton, who spent the 2008 presidential campaign trying to live down her support for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, said of the fight against the Islamic State,"I think military action is critical. In fact, I would say essential to try to prevent their further advance and their holding of more territory." Saying she was aware of the Parliamentary debate on the mission underway a few blocks from her appearance, Clinton called Canada's contribution "indispensable'' in whatever form it takes.

Major news for Canada's print media business: Postmedia Network Canada Corp. is paying $316 million to Quebecor Media Inc. for Sun Media Corp.’s English-language operations. That includes the Sun chain of newspapers in Toronto, Ottawa and Calgary. Postmedia already owns the National Post and dailies in Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver. Quebecor Media still has Le Journal de Montreal, Le Journal de Quebec and the 24 Heures free daily as well as Internet, television, telecommunications and retail operations. See Martin Patriquin's analysis in Maclean's: "PKP and the Quebecor deal: Business or personal?" And here's the tweet of the day on the deal.

Quebec judge Clement Gascon has become the latest member of the Supreme Court of Canada, officially taking his seat today on the country’s highest court — without the usual parliamentary scrutiny. Gascon, a Montrealer who’s an expert in commercial law, is the first judge to join the panel in a decade. Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin described Gascon as a hard-working and gifted jurist. Gascon, 54, joins the bench with a number of hot-button cases on the horizon, touching on issues such as assisted suicide and the gun registry.

Ever hanker for more spontaneity and less pre-digested pablum in question period? You're outta luck. Here's a Hill Times piece on the elaborate, consuming and highly politicized process of preparing government ministers and parliamentary secretaries for the daily theatre of QP.

Ottawa-area MPP Lisa MacLeod has announced that she'll launch her campaign to succeed Tim Hudak on Oct. 19. MacLeod has been considered a possible contender ever since Hudak resigned in the wake of his party`s shellacking in the June provincial election. Fellow MPPs Christine Elliott, Vic Fedeli, Monte McNaughton and Conservative MP Patrick Brown have already announced they’re running for the leadership.

New Brunswick’s chief electoral officer says he doesn’t think an audit of ballots cast in last month’s provincial election is required now that seven recounts have validated the accuracy of the vote results.

In Michelle Zilio's daily Dispatch: Debating Canada's role in Iraq, Clinton in Ottawa and the ailing Ayatollah.

In James Munson's Drilldown blog: Petronas makes changes to the environmental protections in its B.C. LNG plans and everything else you need to know in the day's resource politics news.

Internationally:

An uneasy calm settled over Hong Kong after a week of massive pro-democracy protests ended in a stalemate between the Beijing-backed government and demonstrators. Schools reopened and government employees returned to work as the number of demonstrators dropped to the hundreds. The remaining protesters defied a Monday morning deadline to withdraw. They slept on the pavement at the main occupation zone at Admiralty, around government offices, but allowed workers to enter the buildings.

On the first Monday in October, the U.S. Supreme Court was back at work with a victory for marriage equality. The court decided not to review rulings that cleared the way for same-sex marriage in Virginia, Utah, Oklahoma, Indiana and Wisconsin, a surprising move that shows the court is comfortable with the expansion of such unions throughout the nation. The court’s decision puts off a ruling about the constitutionality of gay marriage that would apply to all 50 states and sent a clear signal that a majority of the court did not feel the need to overturn lower court decisions that found state prohibitions were unconstitutional. Here's the L.A. Times' update on the state of gay marriage across the U.S.

In North Korea, 31-year-old Dear Leader Kim Jong-un hasn't been seen in public in weeks, sparking rampant theories ranging from whether he has the "Kremlin flu" that used to befall Soviet leaders just before their demission or demise to speculation that his little sister, Kim Yo Jong, is now managing the hermit kingdom.

In Other Headlines:

Alberta premier vows to revisit contentious aboriginal policies (CP)
Street fighting rages in Kurdish Syrian town as Islamic State moves in (Reuters)
White House delivers withering response to Netanyahu criticism (Reuters)
Spanish nurse first person to contract Ebola outside Africa (NBC News)
Israel protests Sweden's recognition of Palestinian state (Al-Jazeera)
Michael Bloomberg given honorary knighthood (BBC)

Noteworthy:

With Hillary Clinton in Ottawa commenting on renewed U.S. military commitments in Iraq, Foreign Policy has a piece on two new books that could place the Iraq question front and centre in Clinton's incipient presidential campaign. See, "Every time she thinks she's out, they pull her back in."

Based on the U.S. television coverage of the Ebola crisis, you'd expect Americans to be freaking out about the disease and its arrival within their borders. Not so, says a Pew Research Center poll.

The 2014 Scotiabank Giller Prize shortlist was announced today. Here you go.

The Kicker:

Whether it was case of terribly counterproductive over-coaching or just a cautionary tale for the metaphorically challenged, FBI Director James Comey's interview with 60 Minutes last night generated a wealth of bizarre comments about the Internet and cybercrime, including his comparison of the global hacking threat to "an evil layer cake."

Good night.

Kafka Esq. has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Oct 6, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Rime posted:

I both a leftist and a statist but there are limits to what the government can do as well as perverse consequences to some policies, especially when it comes to prohibition. That doesn't mean it is impossible or even automatically a bad idea to ban something but these kinds of policies need to be considered very carefully before they are implemented. It's all to easy to create mutually reinforcing legal and illegal hierarchies, I.e. government agencies on the one hand and criminal syndicates n the other, both of which can grow parasitically off the dynamics of outlawing a popular and addictive substance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I can't speak to cigars specifically, but one very important rationale for having higher sin taxes rather than just a higher GST is that, once again, you're monetizing the cost of a negative externality, in this case primarily the healthcare costs caused by people drinking and smoking any kind of tobacco, both of which are incredibly bad for you health-wise and increase your risk for a number of different costly diseases. Sin taxes may not be hugely effective at stopping people from buying alcohol and tobacco, except for poor teenagers, but they do force those people to contribute to the government which then foots the bill for their health treatment, or for the police who arrest them when they drive drunk, or for the counselors who try to help addicts quit their addictions in the first place, and so on.

I know my post wasn't phrased perfectly, but I was referring just to the value-based taxes instead of the quantity-based taxes, which, I believe is specifically what Rutibex was responding to in the post I quoted. I get that smokers and drinkers need to pay for the externalities we cause, but I don't see why my decision to smoke a more expensive cigar versus a cheaper cigar of the same size means I need to pay an additional, very punitive sin tax. I am doing the same amount of damage to myself and society.

Also, given that cigars, although dangerous, are not associated with nearly the same level of damage to the cardiovascular or pulmonary systems, either over the short- or long-term, it could make sense to tax them less than cigarettes by weight. I don't really think that would be wise, mind you -- let's just tax tobacco by weight, the same across the board, and be done with it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

a primate posted:

Yea, that's why I think we should make the pricing staircase such that the first step is a doozy, but the rest aren't separated by much. We aren't doing the public any good making high-end liquor so expensive, so why bother?

except that those taxes are (presumably) put towards social programs (to some extent) so the public does benefit.

e: looks like somebody else made the same point, not trying to belabor it here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

I know my post wasn't phrased perfectly, but I was referring just to the value-based taxes instead of the quantity-based taxes, which, I believe is specifically what Rutibex was responding to in the post I quoted. I get that smokers and drinkers need to pay for the externalities we cause, but I don't see why my decision to smoke a more expensive cigar versus a cheaper cigar of the same size means I need to pay an additional, very punitive sin tax. I am doing the same amount of damage to myself and society.

Because Progressive Taxation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Because Progressive Taxation.

...aaand we're back to "why doesn't this apply to other products?" Cigars have an "image" of being very high class and expensive, but if we taxed them roughly the same as we do other forms of tobacco, this would not be the case. In the absence of tax, you can get a decent cigar for the same price as a decent bottle of beer. Other luxury items do not have a separate tax applied (only GST), and other forms of tobacco are taxed by weight instead of wholesale price. What's so very different about cigars, then, that they should have an addition ad valorem tax applied, something which is not done for any other product?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can we just get to the cheese chat and get this over with?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

...aaand we're back to "why doesn't this apply to other products?" Cigars have an "image" of being very high class and expensive, but if we taxed them roughly the same as we do other forms of tobacco, this would not be the case. In the absence of tax, you can get a decent cigar for the same price as a decent bottle of beer. Other luxury items do not have a separate tax applied (only GST), and other forms of tobacco are taxed by weight instead of wholesale price. What's so very different about cigars, then, that they should have an addition ad valorem tax applied, something which is not done for any other product?

perhaps they know the market for fancy cigars can (and will) bear the increased tax and are just doing it to spite you?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

perhaps they know the market for fancy cigars can (and will) bear the increased tax and are just doing it to spite you?

Many markets would bear the increased price. Jewelry, watches, expensive fashions, business-class air travel, etc. All much more expensive and equally unnecessary. I think it's odd that they focus on this one case; if I were a cynical man, I'd say it's because they know they can paint anyone opposed as being supporters of Evil Tobacco Use! I just think it's a bad policy, and no one's been able to defend it with any kind of logic.

Again: if you want to talk about increasing the GST, or instituting a tax on all luxury goods across the board, that's a valid discussion, but as it stands, this is an ill-conceived policy and it exists only because the people who instituted it knew they could easily get away with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate I ever even accidentally agree or even engage on this subject, but in terms of X and Y product of the same cost and same "vice content" (be that tobacco or what ever) being taxed at totally different rates, that seems like bullshit that isn't really serving anyone. A $50 box of cigars and a $50 box of cigs with the exact same tobacco content should be taxed at the same percentage (percentage, not total tax)

Where I absolutely don't agree is the concept that a $10 bottle of wine and $50 bottle of wine both having the same tax amount based on alcohol content. It makes sense and seems "fair" from a naive libertarian viewpoint. If we're taxing the vice alone and these two bottles of wine are the exact same size and exact same alcohol content why not apply a flat tax based on that? The problem is, to then make up the difference in tax revenue cheap stuff would have to get more expensive so that the expensive stuff could get cheaper. So where you had, after tax, a $10 bottle of wine and a $50 bottle of wine you now have a $20 bottle of wine and a $40 bottle of wine. In the end of the day poor people are paying more taxes so wealthier people can save a few bucks on their nice wine. That's not how progressive taxation is supposed to work and no matter how "fair" it sounds it's still an outright attack on the poor at the benefit of the rich.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

instituting a tax on all luxury goods across the board, that's a valid discussion

This would be my position on it, yes.

And I'd say doing it because you know you can get away with it is pretty on-par for politics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Where I absolutely don't agree is the concept that a $10 bottle of wine and $50 bottle of wine both having the same tax amount based on alcohol content. It makes sense and seems "fair" from a naive libertarian viewpoint. If we're taxing the vice alone and these two bottles of wine are the exact same size and exact same alcohol content why not apply a flat tax based on that? The problem is, to then make up the difference in tax revenue cheap stuff would have to get more expensive so that the expensive stuff could get cheaper. So where you had, after tax, a $10 bottle of wine and a $50 bottle of wine you now have a $20 bottle of wine and a $40 bottle of wine. In the end of the day poor people are paying more taxes so wealthier people can save a few bucks on their nice wine. That's not how progressive taxation is supposed to work and no matter how "fair" it sounds it's still an outright attack on the poor at the benefit of the rich.

Except we already do that for alcohol and every form of tobacco apart from cigars (in fact, the excise tax on wine is based on volume, not percentage, beyond a few ranges. Most of what we would call wine, which is to say >7% ABV, is taxed all at the same rate federally).

Again, why should this progressive sales tax apply solely to cigars (or even just to alcohol and tobacco)? Surely, if it's a good idea, it should be applied to all things. I'm guessing the tax revenue you could make off one full business-class cabin or a nice Rolex far exceeds the tax money you're going to make off my stogies in a year, especially if taxed at the same 82% federal level as cigars are. I think that's a ridiculous tax rate, even for luxury products, and that's before provincial tobacco taxes are even considered.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

My position on new taxes like tobacco and booze is that okay, I'm a leftist and think things should be taxed, but it's most of the time the poor who smoke and drink booze (even if EVERYBODY drank booze statistically there aren't as many rich people), and if you increase taxes here and there and give more tax cuts somewhere else then we end up the same except the poor have even less to live on and no new or better services for them.

It's a distraction and a way to milk more money out of the average person, at least at the moment.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

PT6A posted:

Except we already do that for alcohol and every form of tobacco apart from cigars (in fact, the excise tax on wine is based on volume, not percentage, beyond a few ranges. Most of what we would call wine, which is to say >7% ABV, is taxed all at the same rate federally).

Again, why should this progressive sales tax apply solely to cigars (or even just to alcohol and tobacco)? Surely, if it's a good idea, it should be applied to all things. I'm guessing the tax revenue you could make off one full business-class cabin or a nice Rolex far exceeds the tax money you're going to make off my stogies in a year, especially if taxed at the same 82% federal level as cigars are. I think that's a ridiculous tax rate, even for luxury products, and that's before provincial tobacco taxes are even considered.

82%?? jesus christ, that sounds like some retarded legacy tax that the government forgot to update, like import taxes on textiles. I wasn't really following the tobacco chat, is there a reason in our history that cigars in particular got targeted like this that got mentioned?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

The problem is that taxes aren't set by benevolent philosopher kings, they are based on the tug of war between groups of producers, consumers, government bureaucrats and elected politicians.

Since wealthy individuals and corporations are very good at evading income taxes or getting them reduced, which moves the burden of those taxes onto the middle class. The middle class feels over taxed and they vote for politicians who promise to cut their tax burden. Since people also expect services from the government that leads to taxes on consumption. Since producers / consumers will also lobby to escape taxes, that shifts consumption taxes onto items that for one reason or another are comparatively easy to tax. Tobacco is one of them, and since cigars have a smaller consumer base than cigarettes they probably present a particularly appealing target for taxes.

If you want to break out of this dynamic but, presumably, don't want to abandon liberal capitalism, then you really need to think about ways to reduce the political power and influence of corporations and wealthy individuals. Otherwise you're going to be stuck in this dynamic where taxes get levied at disorganized or unpopular interest groups. You're stuck otherwise - the middle class are always going to demand government programs and tax credits that benefit them and they're often going to be resentful of being asked to pay the full tax burden for them. So until we have a system with the political mechanisms necessary to put the burden of those taxes on the wealthy you're probably going to end up paying more for things like cigars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe if we taxed our oil industry like a real country we could afford to lower taxes on fine cheese and cigars.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Rime posted:

It's not like there is a giant country right next to us, where tobacco is legal, and a giant unguarded border.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

82%?? jesus christ, that sounds like some retarded legacy tax that the government forgot to update, like import taxes on textiles. I wasn't really following the tobacco chat, is there a reason in our history that cigars in particular got targeted like this that got mentioned?

No, and it's being actively increased. When I started smoking cigars, I believe it was at 65%. Also, provincial tobacco tax is, in many cases, even higher than that! I don't wholly object to sin taxes, or even the idea of some sort of tax on luxury goods, but the way cigars are treated is just insane.

On the other hand, the massive revenue stream associated with tobacco almost guarantees that it will remain legal forever, so it's not all bad.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe if we taxed our oil industry like a real country we could afford to lower taxes on fine cheese and cigars.

That would be utter insanity. Instead, we should tax anything we deem to be too luxurious for the proletariat to engage in, until all activities in Canada can be considered revolutionary.

JawKnee posted:

This would be my position on it, yes.

And I'd say doing it because you know you can get away with it is pretty on-par for politics.

What is your criteria for "luxury goods"?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Helsing posted:

The problem is that taxes aren't set by benevolent philosopher kings, they are based on the tug of war between groups of producers, consumers, government bureaucrats and elected politicians.

This is a great post, and it describes the problem precisely. The incremental change in a democracy leads to this, and it's not a perfect system but it's not like we could do any better with a philosopher king.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
The latest news out of the Toronto Mayoral race:

National Post posted:

With Rob Ford in the audience at Sunday’s debate, mayoral candidate Ari Goldkind grilled the Toronto mayor on his alleged use of “the K word,” an anti-Semitic slur.

Doug Ford came to his brother’s aid, riddling off examples of his family’s affinity for Jewish people.

“You know something? My doctor — my Jewish doctor, my Jewish dentist, my Jewish lawyer — Hold on, my Jewish accountant,” he said, before the audience booed and yelled, forcing the flustered Ford to stop mid-sentence.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/06/doug-ford-announces-my-wife-is-jewish-amid-backlash-over-his-use-of-jewish-stereotypes/

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Whiskey Sours posted:

The latest news out of the Toronto Mayoral race:

How do you botch the "I'm not anti-Semitic, I have a Jewish friend" copout that badly.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a long time since a Canadian political cartoon made me snort

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One of them is black and the other is Asian and they both work like dogs. Great people.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Ahahahaha you think people like that couldn't possibly be real

Then the Fords come along

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So, uhh is John Baird trying to look like Kim Jong-Il on purpose here? Knowing this government and it's message control fetish I'd have to guess yes.

"Jean!" Baird was noted to shout; "JEAN!" he repeated.

Professor Shark posted:

Apparently Propeller is very popular and well regarded by beer-nerds. I used to drink it exclusively because it was local, but the novelty of traditional beers made using time-honored recipes started feeling nouveau-yuppy and now I drink lighter stuff or my own.

Propeller is what I drank when I was at Dal - it's also amusing to note that they brew/ed a special proprietary beer (or just re-label the Bitter) for the gay bar down the street, which should produce enough leftist feel-good feelings to allay any yuppiness.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The insane rates of our sin taxes are pushing poor people and teenagers towards cheaper drugs like 2$ meth pills. I have to work almost two hours to buy a 12 pack of the cheapest beer available. Meanwhile I could stay geeked up on speed for a whole week for the same price. It's something to think about.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

The insane rates of our sin taxes are pushing poor people and teenagers towards cheaper drugs like 2$ meth pills. I have to work almost two hours to buy a 12 pack of the cheapest beer available. Meanwhile I could stay geeked up on speed for a whole week for the same price. It's something to think about.

Pretty sure you're more effective at work on speed than drunk, so that sounds good to me. Net win for society.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Professor Shark posted:

Can we just get to the cheese chat and get this over with?

CanPol thread, I have a confession to make. I... I... (hands shaking) used to love MacLaren's Imperial cheese as a child. (racking sob). :smithicide:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Just to continue beer chat, PEI has PEI Breweries (formerly Gahan Brewery). Good beers. Their 1772 IPA is yummy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Please replace the picture of JT in the OP with this, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

That image is the best because I honestly can't tell if it's supporting or mocking Trudeau.

• Locked thread