Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Master Twig posted:

You customs guys do a great job. But I wonder. Since Rock Band threads have become a thing on Something Awful, the most wanted song seems to have been Hocus Pocus by Focus. How is a custom of that song still not a thing?

Gee, I wonder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

[*]Steppenwolf - "Born to Be Wild" X

FUCKIN' FINALLY!

I remember requesting this song on the official site for the longest time, probably twice a week at some points, and every week it just kept never happening. So thanks Bearz!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Owns hard. Blue Cheer even being acknowledged is incredible, their heavy rendition of Summertime Blues even moreso. Thanks for being excellent, customs creators.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So many people are going to fail Fireball about four seconds in. Paice is a monster.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

So many people are going to fail Fireball about four seconds in. Paice is a monster.

I was thinking that too. Any Deep Purple is loving great though, and between fun and painful to play.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I was thinking that too. Any Deep Purple is loving great though, and between fun and painful to play.

I still can't pass Child in Time on drums. Like, I keep thinking I can, but then I try and :gonk:

Same way with Space Truckin', I think I can, I think I can, I think I WELL gently caress THAT AIN'T HAPPENING TODAY

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

whypick1 posted:

I'm assuming you mean "store-bought songs". Nuking TU5 won't remove anything off of your drive, however...

1. If you go all the way back to an un-patched version of the game, the game will try to overwrite your save file (know someone who lost their save this way...twice).
2. You won't be able to access the store because you can't get on Live without the latest patch (true for any game, not just RB3).

What I personally do is have 2 thumb drives. Drive 1 has TU5, my Gamertag, my friend's Gamertag, my save game and song cache (with RBHP upgrades). Drive 2 has TU4, a local-only Gamertag and all of my customs. Hard drive has all of my and my aforementioned friend's DLC. If I want to save any progress, use RBHP upgrades or my friend's DLC collection, I pop in drive 1. If I want to play customs, I pop in drive 2 (yes, I know I could put RBHP upgrades on drive 2, but it's a PITA to maintain both). If for some odd reason I wanted to buy any songs from the music store in game, I'd just use drive 1.

Thanks for this. Makes it a lot clearer. Don't give a toss about the save as I never bothered to play through the story mode, anyhow. :)

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
Possibly a dumb question, but is there any reason to pop overdrive when playing bass in Rock Band 2, other than for saving bandmates? With bass groove the multiplier is 6x anyway, right?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

oliven posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but is there any reason to pop overdrive when playing bass in Rock Band 2, other than for saving bandmates? With bass groove the multiplier is 6x anyway, right?

OD doubles all multipliers, including bass. Your multiplier in Bass Groove with OD is indeed 12x.

e:holy poo poo this thread had a question that wasn't about customs or hardware

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

pksage posted:

OD doubles all multipliers, including bass. Your multiplier in Bass Groove with OD is indeed 12x.

e:holy poo poo this thread had a question that wasn't about customs or hardware

That's great, thanks! It still says 6x though?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

oliven posted:

That's great, thanks! It still says 6x though?

Look by the total score, you should see a 2x. Tell your energy hoarder friend to pop it and that'll be a 4x.

Rock Band is honestly extremely satisfying as an arcadey score attack game if you have friends.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Look by the total score, you should see a 2x. Tell your energy hoarder friend to pop it and that'll be a 4x.

Rock Band is honestly extremely satisfying as an arcadey score attack game if you have friends.

Ah, right! I did notice the 2x in the corner, I just didn't know what it was. I've been playing alone a lot so I don't know much about the multiplayer part of it, sad as that is.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

oliven posted:

Ah, right! I did notice the 2x in the corner, I just didn't know what it was. I've been playing alone a lot so I don't know much about the multiplayer part of it, sad as that is.

Once you're good enough at the game, overdrive just becomes a way of quintoupling your score rather than a means of staying alive.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Freakie posted:

Once you're good enough at the game, overdrive just becomes a way of quintoupling your score rather than a means of staying alive.

If you use no-fail, you can readily convince your friends to just use overdrive when someone else does - staying alive isn't even a concept to them. :eng101:

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

TrojanNemo posted:

I also bring customs to a similar event and at first, customers were hesitant to have the original singer with them. But when they understood it was either "sing along with the original singer or don't have this song at all", the solid majority prefer to have the song than not at all. I agree, it's not ideal. But it's still possible and works fine.
You're right, I should at least give it a try. I'll introduce a dozen or so "normal audio" tracks one night and check the response. Any fan favorites you'd recommend?

"pksage” posted:

worst case I'll try and get you "Export current view”
This by itself would do the job perfectly. It’d be even better combined with some kind of “remember this view” feature to allow setting up the rows and columns once, then making slight changes (select a different date range, for example) later.

pksage posted:

Between now and the end of the year we have some really good packs lined up that are almost certainly going to generate "AGH BUT YOU WERE SO CLOSE TO GIVING ME _______". (But they're still really good.)
You mean you intentionally keep finished songs away from your players so you can do new pack releases of old content? :monocle:
(just kidding, C3's pack releases are awesome)

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

El Destructo posted:

You're right, I should at least give it a try. I'll introduce a dozen or so "normal audio" tracks one night and check the response. Any fan favorites you'd recommend?

Well, it's difficult to tell without having my setlist on hand, but some that are very popular at my pub are the Audioslave songs I released, the Billy Talent songs that are floating around, the Guns 'N Roses customs (some of which are still unreleased), Stairway to Heaven, etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does anyone have any idea where to get an Ion Drum Rocker cymbal expansion from?
Both the real one and the Roadie third party offering are out of stock on Amazon now unfortunately.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

~Coxy posted:

Does anyone have any idea where to get an Ion Drum Rocker cymbal expansion from?
Both the real one and the Roadie third party offering are out of stock on Amazon now unfortunately.

How many cymbals are you looking to buy? Because I have one extra I could send you if you'd like to pay for shipping.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That'd be great! I only need one, but I'd need an arm or whatever as well if you have that?
My kit as it stands currently is the standard Ion Drum Rocker that came with only two cymbals.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wasn't the go to recommendation for ion cymbals a set of Pintechs?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can you get a pintech cymbal pad and mounting hardware for less than $70 or so all up, though?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 releases for October 3, 2014:

New! Queensr˙che - Operation: Mindcrime (farottone and xlxAvaricexlx)
  1. "I Remember Now"
  2. "Anarchy—X"
  3. "Revolution Calling"
  4. "Operation: Mindcrime"
  5. "Speak"
  6. "Spreading the Disease"
  7. "The Mission"
  8. "Suite Sister Mary"
  9. "The Needle Lies"
  10. "Electric Requiem"
  11. "Breaking the Silence"
  12. "I Don't Believe in Love"
  13. "Waiting for 22"
  14. "My Empty Room"
  15. "Eyes of a Stranger"
Several track medleys are also available.

New! Singles
  • Attila - "About That Life" (uSound)
  • Cold - "Remedy" (RyanHYK)
  • The Raconteurs - "Consoler of the Lonely" (Neversoft and pksage)
  • The Raconteurs - "Hold Up" (Neversoft and pksage)
  • Silversun Pickups - "There's No Secrets This Year" (Neversoft and GreenPanda12)

pksage fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 3, 2014

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
You guys are GODS. Thank you for Mindcrime!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Holy crap, a Cold song.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
GreenPanda12 doesn't post here IIRC, which is a shame because they deserve a nod for more Silversun Pickups. Huge fan. :allears:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

couldcareless posted:

Wasn't the go to recommendation for ion cymbals a set of Pintechs?

I haven't used Pintechs, but I've never had a problem with my ION cymbals. They're nice and bouncy (way more rebound than the drums) and I've never had trouble with missed hits or double hits.

Also, ~Coxy I'm gonna send you a PM.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

GreenPanda12 doesn't post here IIRC, which is a shame because they deserve a nod for more Silversun Pickups. Huge fan. :allears:
Oh hell yes.

If anyone hasn't heard There's No Secrets This Year, the drum part is loving amazing. It's definitely one of my most-wanted SSPU songs in Rock Band (along with Kissing Families).

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Wrong Attila.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFYOZIRcMM

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aw, dammit, I was hoping it was these guys.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So I finally broke down and grabbed the C3 tools to pack up my songs and get around the song limit. My newly created pack of all of my previously used songs doesn't seem to be working, however. RB3 is showing only 1 song from it.

Are there any size/file limits or anything I need to be aware of or common pack creation problems that I should look into?

*edit for other details*
Tested that individual songs I add are still working fine. I add things using party buffalo, I added this newly created C3 pack in the same fashion as I add individual files, other than it taking a long time, everything seemed to work the same. The initial pack I tried was 257 songs, 2.9gig. But I've since also tried just a 20 song pack and achieved the same lack of results.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 4, 2014

brosmike
Jun 26, 2009
Make sure you're using the "Pack Creator" and not the "CON Creator", I messed that up the first time.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

brosmike posted:

Make sure you're using the "Pack Creator" and not the "CON Creator", I messed that up the first time.

I double checked and I'm definitely using the "Pack Creator", thanks though.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

King Burgundy posted:

I double checked and I'm definitely using the "Pack Creator", thanks though.

I had to delete and rebuild my song cache. Kind of sucked since I lost my scores, though I didn't know those were tied to the cache.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Asnorban posted:

I had to delete and rebuild my song cache. Kind of sucked since I lost my scores, though I didn't know those were tied to the cache.

... they aren't. Song scores are in the save file. Deleting the cache won't delete them.

However, if you upgrade songs via the harmonies project, then yeah your scores will get wiped.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... they aren't. Song scores are in the save file. Deleting the cache won't delete them.

However, if you upgrade songs via the harmonies project, then yeah your scores will get wiped.

Weird. Maybe I tried to do something weird. I recreated a song pack I had created prior, with new songs in it. It wouldn't pick up the new songs until I cleared my cache, and at that same time I didn't have my scores (for the songs that were in my original pack). Maybe it was because the pack itself changed, and so the game thought they were new songs?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asnorban posted:

This worked. You rule, thanks!

To confirm what was said above, I did not lose my scores.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
There's a bit of confusion going on here. Let me try to clear it up.

Scores for official content are stored in the save game file. Scores for customs are stored in the song cache file. When you rebuild the song cache, you will lose the scores for your customs.

Based on a recent discovery by the PS3 users, I believe this comes down to the fact that all official content has numeric song IDs within a specific range, whereas customs have always used alphanumeric values (i.e. far_mindcrimev2). When the game parses the songs.dta file, this is converted into a long (numerical) value, as pksage realized when he figured out the song cache file format. This long value goes well beyond the limit that the game is set to work with, and that's why it doesn't get stored in the save game file. How do we know? PS3 doesn't have a song cache file, but it does have a save game file. As of a month or so ago, all PS3 customs using the latest version of my tool automatically have their song id replaced with a unique numeric value within this working range and PS3 customs now save scores, where before they never did.

I've asked for volunteers to transition this to the Xbox side, so Xbox customs can save their scores permanently and not have to worry about cache wipes. Surprisingly, nobody ever contacted me about it. I really thought people would jump at that...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That explains so much. :psyduck: This entire time I just thought it was my USB drive wiping my custom scores. (my USB drive won't work unless I plug it in AFTER I turn on my Xbox and select it from the storage menu, trying to play with it already in the system or without checking the storage thing and customs won't show up)

Pretty much the only reason I don't play customs is because I still care about scores. It's just very satisfying to finish a song and see that you beat your old score. It's even more satisfying to finish a song and see "You beat TronjanNemo's and 11 others drums scores", which is why I still play TU5 at all.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
The new Genesis teaser is out...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5z4fxShCDhvUt91TcP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Oh my god yes on Selling England By The Pound. Firth of Fifth is my favorite guitar solo, and I have wanted it in Rock Band since day one. I need a Waitmate until this comes out.

• Locked thread