Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Teddybear posted:

Or not, because he's basically given Democrats a great line for the next month. A Republican literally blocking funding for stopping an insidious threat that has killed on American soil and likely will again? Even if he releases the funding by close of business, that's gonna get play in some issue ads.

I may be an amoral political bastard, there are some issues you don't gently caress around on. Ebola eradication funding is one of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yesterday, in Oregon.

Yeah might have to make this my new internet face. Anyone got ideas for bullshit to write under it?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Shageletic posted:

Yeah might have to make this my new internet face. Anyone got ideas for bullshit to write under it?

Someone send the picture to the Onion, let the professionals handle it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shageletic posted:

"I'm the last of the big time spenders" which is what Joe Biden actually said while handing over $20 for his $8 ice cream tab.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

"I'm the last of the big time spenders" which is what Joe Biden actually said while handing over $20 for his $8 ice cream tab.

Was one of the tens for a tip or did the cashier just give him a wtf look and hand one back?

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Grapeshot posted:

I like it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
How about "Vice CREAM?"

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Grapeshot posted:

A million times this

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grapeshot posted:

This, right here.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grapeshot posted:

It's over.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
The O.G. V.P from tha' D.C.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

What the hell went on in Phyllis Schlafly's upbringing to make her think of her entire gender as nothing more than meat?

Short answer, internalized misogyny.

Long answer:

When you are young and the entire world tells you your group is inferior its really hard to disagree. You don't have the data to make a case with and confirmation bias/stereotypes are a majority of your experiences so you see your group being inferior all around you.

There are two basic responses to this. You can accept that you are in fact inferior and not even try at things which are popularly believed to be beyond your kind (the self fulfilling prophecy of low expectations). Or you can start loudly insisting that while your group is indeed inferior, you personally are an exception.

You have a lot of data about yourself after all allowing you to prove that you are good at the things your out group is supposedly bad at. So you have proof to back you up and an element of rational self interest to goad you on. These combined will get you to stand up for yourself to authority figures.

However, there are two ways to establish that you are an extreme outlier to your group. Demonstrating personal accomplishment is one but denigrating your own group is another. If I'm good at math and girls are just a little bad at math that's notable, but if girls are vapid morons who can barely manage algebra then my being good at math is more amazing, no? Clearly I'm nothing like those other girls. I'm special.

Schaflay just never grew out of it.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to grow out of it. I didn't get over looking down on my own gender till my early thirties.

There are other elements in there too. Anger at members of your out group who conform to societies demands is part of it. By exemplifying the stereotypes you are personally trying to escape they are literally the reason why people look down on and dismiss you.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/13azji/democalypse-2014---winning-the-lady-vote

Caros
May 14, 2008

McAlister posted:

Short answer, internalized misogyny.

Long answer:

When you are young and the entire world tells you your group is inferior its really hard to disagree. You don't have the data to make a case with and confirmation bias/stereotypes are a majority of your experiences so you see your group being inferior all around you.

There are two basic responses to this. You can accept that you are in fact inferior and not even try at things which are popularly believed to be beyond your kind (the self fulfilling prophecy of low expectations). Or you can start loudly insisting that while your group is indeed inferior, you personally are an exception.

You have a lot of data about yourself after all allowing you to prove that you are good at the things your out group is supposedly bad at. So you have proof to back you up and an element of rational self interest to goad you on. These combined will get you to stand up for yourself to authority figures.

However, there are two ways to establish that you are an extreme outlier to your group. Demonstrating personal accomplishment is one but denigrating your own group is another. If I'm good at math and girls are just a little bad at math that's notable, but if girls are vapid morons who can barely manage algebra then my being good at math is more amazing, no? Clearly I'm nothing like those other girls. I'm special.

Schaflay just never grew out of it.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to grow out of it. I didn't get over looking down on my own gender till my early thirties.

There are other elements in there too. Anger at members of your out group who conform to societies demands is part of it. By exemplifying the stereotypes you are personally trying to escape they are literally the reason why people look down on and dismiss you.

This is also known as the Ben Carson effect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

In sculpture, he's got more of a Clint Eastwood vibe goin'.

heh, he looks a little like the Sidney Paget drawing of professor Moriarty

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, “The way to make sure that the environment is always protected is to make it profitable. You gotta make it profitable, and then it goes on and on forever.” ~ Rand Paul

Aside from the fact that Rand Paul said another dumb thing, why are tech moguls such unceasing idiots? If anything is a strong indictment of our education system, it is the fact that these supposedly well-educated elites think one thing (technology) is a salve for all of society's ills because it made them rich. It's as if there's nothing going on up there.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

420DD Butts posted:

Aside from the fact that Rand Paul said another dumb thing, why are tech moguls such unceasing idiots? If anything is a strong indictment of our education system, it is the fact that these supposedly well-educated elites think one thing (technology) is a salve for all of society's ills because it made them rich. It's as if there's nothing going on up there.

:ssh: The unspoken but implied promise of educational technology is staff reduction.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

420DD Butts posted:

Eh, tech really can solve most of our societal ills. Problem is, nobody wants to let it be used to help poor people because gently caress poor people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

:ssh: The unspoken but implied promise of educational technology is staff reduction.
Indeed.

Ever seen that picture of the "Learning Academy" that's a bunch of kids in front of Macbooks with little partitions? Shove 50 kids in a room, staff it by some Teach for America newbie that clicks to sign off on tests. And make parents wait in a terrible lottery for the privilege of having their kids attend.

Truly a thing of beauty.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Eh, tech really can solve most of our societal ills. Problem is, nobody wants to let it be used to help poor people because gently caress poor people.

This is really the best argument against the "we don't need regulation to help poverty/the environment/energy costs/whatever, we need to deregulate so that technological solutions can be devised and naturally proliferate through the market" stance.

Technological solutions to a lot of these problems have existed for a long-rear end time, at least in proto-form, and have not proliferated because market forces (both conscious and non-conscious) conspire against them.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Caros posted:

This is also known as the Ben Carson effect.

It works for all out groups. Self-hating Jew, self hating gay, self hating minority. Back when left handedness was widely reviled as indicating a sinister nature there were probably self hating left handed people.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

It certainly can't replace teachers as was proposed. Tech only solves problems in the presence of controls, it isn't some benevolent force for all that is good in the world.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

It certainly can't replace teachers as was proposed. Tech only solves problems in the presence of controls, it isn't some benevolent force for all that is good in the world.

I think the idea is that the tech moguls think they or others can ensure that it is used for good. Which none of them have yet, but it's not conceptually impossible or anything (:confused:).

The best of them is probably Bill Gates, though, and he's done much more good as a generic rich person (charity, immunizations, etc) than he has specifically as a tech mogul. (btw immunizations are in fact an example of technology solving one of the world's problems)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

420DD Butts posted:

But "as proposed" isn't "impossible." If tomorrow someone invented a computer (or gently caress it, a robot just for funsies) that could instruct children as well as a caring, involved, not-stressed-to-poo poo teacher, the first place they would send it sure as gently caress wouldn't be inner-city schools. Because gently caress poor people.

I don't feel like tech is some sentient thing that can self evolve, but if we applied a lot of the technology we already have we could reduce a great deal of poverty. But why? There's no profit in that. Instead let's build a bunch of F35s for trillions of dollars.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Looks like the next scandal is going to be the White House covering for an aid (who is the son of a major donor) hiring a prostitute. The WaPo article makes it seem like this could actually be a Thing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

loquacius posted:

I think the idea is that the tech moguls think they or others can ensure that it is used for good. Which none of them have yet, but it's not conceptually impossible or anything (:confused:).

But "as proposed" isn't "impossible." If tomorrow someone invented a computer (or gently caress it, a robot just for funsies) that could instruct children as well as a caring, involved, not-stressed-to-poo poo teacher, the first place they would send it sure as gently caress wouldn't be inner-city schools. Because gently caress poor people.

Even then, technology is only a method of delivering the aid or solution. It, on its own, is not going to solve all of the world's problems. It's another tool in the toolbox. Humans ultimately have to be the ones to solve the problems with or without its help and I get the feeling that most of these people just view it as some magical thing where electronics rain down from on high to save us.

loquacius posted:

(btw immunizations are in fact an example of technology solving one of the world's problems)

I suppose we're working from different definitions of "technology" here. I'm specifically referring to the tech industry and computers/electronics. If you really want to get right down to it, a hammer is technology too. But it's not the type that they're talking about. That's my bad for being imprecise.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

McAlister posted:

It works for all out groups. Self-hating Jew, self hating gay, self hating minority. Back when left handedness was widely reviled as indicating a sinister nature there were probably self hating left handed people.

Even if it isn't exactly an out group, I've definitely sighed in disdain and futility at family or neighbors who are living white-trash stereotypes. I can only imagine how angry it must make folks from actual out groups.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yep, the people who actually design and develop those computer electronics think it just magically rains down from the sky.

You really have to get your anti-techie kneejerk under control.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Even if it isn't exactly an out group, I've definitely sighed in disdain and futility at family or neighbors who are living white-trash stereotypes. I can only imagine how angry it must make folks from actual out groups.

You aren't part of that group.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

420DD Butts posted:

Even then, technology is only a method of delivering the aid or solution. It, on its own, is not going to solve all of the world's problems. It's another tool in the toolbox. Humans ultimately have to be the ones to solve the problems with or without its help and I get the feeling that most of these people just view it as some magical thing where electronics rain down from on high to save us.
No disagreement there. When I say "tech can solve a lot of problems" I'm also saying "if we could be arsed to do so."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Brannock posted:

Yep, the people who actually design and develop those computer electronics think it just magically rains down from the sky.

You really have to get your anti-techie kneejerk under control.

You have to actually be willing or able to correctly interpret what I'm saying. For the record, I'm saying that there is a disturbing tendency in tech moguls to assume that computers are going to ride in on a white horse and save us all (this is a metaphor). I realize that they know where they come from, I wasn't making that argument.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

Replace "magical thing" and "on high" with "their life's work which they take very seriously but believe in strongly" and you're catching on!

420DD Butts posted:

You have to actually be willing or able to correctly interpret what I'm saying. For the record, I'm saying that there is a disturbing tendency in tech moguls to assume that computers are going to ride in on a white horse and save us all (this is a metaphor). I realize that they know where they come from, I wasn't making that argument.

Your argument still depends on tech moguls knowing nothing about technology -- yes, it is a tool; I promise you they realize this (they use it constantly so it would be hard not to), and better tools can only make things easier.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

Your argument still depends on tech moguls knowing nothing about technology -- yes, it is a tool; I promise you they realize this (they use it constantly so it would be hard not to), and better tools can only make things easier.

Quiet you fool, you'll summon Eripsa with his endless blather about how his internal organs are mere tools and not even as important to human identity as smartphones when you really think about it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't think we should continue on this topic without making sure that everyone sees the incredibly stupid thing Eric Schmidt said during that panel event with Rand. Here it is: “Gamify the lessons. … As jobs get automated away, the only thing we can do is have smarter people.”

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

loquacius posted:

Replace "magical thing" and "on high" with "their life's work which they take very seriously but believe in strongly" and you're catching on!

I can take biology very seriously and believe in it very strongly. The second I attempt to apply biological principles to everyday life is when I end up with horrid poo poo like social darwinism. I'm quite aware of the pitfalls of making normative judgments about/applying knowledge to unrelated topics from lessons learned in your area of expertise.

quote:

It depends on them highly overvaluing it as a tool or misunderstanding exactly its applications. This is not a hard thing to do. People do it all the time. It is the reason for the "When all you have is a hammer..." cliche.

I'm not attempting to insult anyone's profession or love affair. I'm merely saying that it is entirely possible to be competent and well-versed in a thing while lacking the ability to understand or think critically about its place in the wider universe.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That Salt+Straw ice cream might be hipster ice cream but it's really, really good.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

loquacius posted:

Actually, no, it depends on tech moguls not really understanding the problems they're trying to solve with technology. Which they have repeatedly demonstrated they don't, particularly in the case of education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The problem tech entrepreneurs are trying to solve is how to get as much money out of venture capitalists before they escape with a golden parachute, so nah

• Locked thread