Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jst0rm posted:

so the dems knew before they voted that bush was lying and trumping up weak intelligence to go to war?

Do we have anything to back that up from a reputable source? I would like to read about it.

it's irrelevant because they didn't care either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The dems could have known but they didn't care. There were certainly dems on the intelligence committees.

e: things run smoother politically if nobody can summon the courage to ask difficult questions.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tautologicus posted:

Stuff chalabi told them mostly. Also that the defense contractor god needs to be fed human blood periodically or our inflated economy goes to hell.

actually, from a quick search I see the democrats tried to subpena chalabi in 2005 but that was after the vote. Are you saying the bush administration repeated things chilabi said to the democrats?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

it's irrelevant because they didn't care either way

its certainly relevant to some posters who think bush shouldnt be blamed.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jst0rm posted:

actually, from a quick search I see the democrats tried to subpena chalabi in 2005 but that was after the vote. Are you saying the bush administration repeated things chilabi said to the democrats?

Yes they believed everything he told them and used him as the basis for their justification for the war. No joke as far as i know.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jst0rm posted:

its certainly relevant to some posters who think bush shouldnt be blamed.

they are just as dumb as the ones who think the democrats are blameless

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

everyone in congress who voted for the war should be put on trial for warcrimes

weird how there were plenty of people who realized the war posturing was bullshit because of a history of insane and offensively stupid american war posturing

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it... it keeps happening.. gently caress!!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tautologicus posted:

Yes they believed everything he told them and used him as the basis for their justification for the war. No joke as far as i know.

the iraq war resolution:

Party Yeas Nays Not
Voting
Republican 215 6 2
Democratic 82 126 1
Independent 0 1 0
TOTALS 297 133 3

Looks like the majority of the dems said no. Are they all still to blame for the iraq war equally? It looks like a very Republican war to me. But I only have a passing knowledge on the subject.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

THS posted:

everyone in congress who voted for the war should be put on trial for warcrimes

weird how there were plenty of people who realized the war posturing was bullshit because of a history of insane and offensively stupid american war posturing

see also; The Islamic State as a threat to the continental US.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jst0rm posted:

the iraq war resolution:

Party Yeas Nays Not
Voting
Republican 215 6 2
Democratic 82 126 1
Independent 0 1 0
TOTALS 297 133 3

Looks like the majority of the dems said no. Are they all still to blame for the iraq war equally?

yup

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
loving Bush he hornswaggled us all!

*doubles down on his foreign policy, expands domestic surveillance*

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

so how many democrats have stood up the drone war, the nsa hoedown, and the renewed iraq war that sure looks to be intensifying

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the fact that democrats vote weakly against militarism when bush is president then embrace it when a democrat is president is not really an argument in favor of principled liberal opposition in congress

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Really? Do you think that because you want it to be true because it really doesnt look like the majority of the dems voted for war in iraq. I mean maybe you have mroe information then me on this but from here in liberal California it looks like the republicans hosed up really bad.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

THS posted:

the fact that democrats vote weakly against militarism when bush is president then embrace it when a democrat is president is not really an argument in favor of principled liberal opposition in congress

how did they embrace it?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jst0rm posted:

how did they embrace it?

VikingSkull posted:

loving Bush he hornswaggled us all!

*doubles down on his foreign policy, expands domestic surveillance*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jst0rm posted:

Really? Do you think that because you want it to be true because it really doesnt look like the majority of the dems voted for war in iraq. I mean maybe you have mroe information then me on this but from here in liberal California it looks like the republicans hosed up really bad.

does it? cause it looks like they are gonna take the senate this year

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

have you been living under a goddamn rock for the last couple years. yes... this administration.. very dove like. heck, obama won a nobel peace prize

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

funny thing about clinton is that shes shifting hugely to the right on foreign policy, criticizing obama that hes not tough enough in the ramp up to her candidacy. what a weird and strange phenomena

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I do love that this time it's a Democrat leaving his successor a war that's being fought in the air and with advisors as an escalation trap unlike the last time that happened

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it really is a kind of poetry

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
people still pick sides I don't get it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

people still pick sides I don't get it

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Do you think that we would of been better off with Saddam in power? In that power vacuum that was created from that war that had significant republican support and about 1/3rd democrat support a thing is festering. What should be done about that thing?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jst0rm posted:

Do you think that we would of been better off with Saddam in power?

ahahahahahahaha yess it comes

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jst0rm posted:

Do you think that we would of been better off with Saddam in power? In that power vacuum that was created from that war that had significant republican support and about 1/3rd democrat support a thing is festering. What should be done about that thing?

nobody is better off ever, your government hates you and death is certain

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
republicans vote for war like this: "hur dur hur dur"

but democrats vote for war like this: "doot deet doot deet"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol the government votes on wars

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

there was a declaration of war??

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

no declaration of war is needed now.. in a post 9/11 era America is Always At War. things are different now.. the enemy is permanent yet also impermanent.. it is endless war.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

Abandon Israel and the Gulf. Cut all military aid to kings and juntas worldwide.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
no seriously UN it's gonna be a small token air campaign to prevent a city from falling in this specific instance, same to you Congress it's no big deal really

*flattens Libya*

Russia, you voted on this, why you mad

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If my questions are getting too uncomfortable we can leave it there. I am actually interested in what you think as I assume you are right of center and I dont normally interact with people who are right of center.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

no seriously UN it's gonna be a small token air campaign to prevent a city from falling in this specific instance, same to you Congress it's no big deal really

*flattens Libya*

yea but would you have preferred libya with qadaffi?? libya is now a bastion of democracy in the arab world

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if you think criticism of american imperialism is "right-of-center" i'm not sure what to tell you

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

Abandon Israel and the Gulf. Cut all military aid to kings and juntas worldwide.

But we want the oil to flow in some kind of stable environment.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
brb gonna go extrajudicially execute someone in a covert raid within the borders of a nuclear armed ally

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

If my questions are getting too uncomfortable we can leave it there. I am actually interested in what you think as I assume you are right of center and I dont normally interact with people who are right of center.

if you are a democrat then you are already right of center dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jst0rm posted:

But we want the oil to flow in some kind of stable environment.

oh. youre trolling

• Locked thread