Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The "Raraiya crying because high altitude" excuse kind of loses its effectiveness when they do an entire episode of flying combat with the goddamn front door open.

Flying combat at not-high altitude, yes. A bit different from high altitude. Didn't seem like they were nearly as high as in that first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

The Montero looked pretty cool. I hope the kit doesn't suck.

The "Raraiya crying because high altitude" excuse kind of loses its effectiveness when they do an entire episode of flying combat with the goddamn front door open.

The beam whip thing looks like the Seeker from Gunstar Heroes. It was also shot out of Captain Dead's beam rifle at one point.

Technically 5 as of the end of episode 3, now that I noticed her doing it in the OP.

Next episode:

This is getting out of hand.

I think that is what he meant, 4 out of 4 episodes.

I actually missed that my first run through, which is why I didn't mention it. Again, 4/25 episodes is not a running theme, and I'm sure it traces back to Captain Dead's death but it is starting to worry me.

Personally I was more weirded out by the whiplash of 'YOU KILLED MY FRIEND' 'Well, had a nap, so I guess I'll just spin and dance in this hall' 'OH WAIT YOU STILL KILLED HIM YOU DICK!'

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This show is paced like F91.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MrLonghair posted:

Tomino you beautiful bastard, I should read your books.

I would strongly advise against this.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

This show is paced like F91.

I thought F91 had terrible pacing?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Flying combat at not-high altitude, yes. A bit different from high altitude. Didn't seem like they were nearly as high as in that first episode.

She did a halo jump without oxygen in that first episode, yeah.

This episode ruled, mega pumped about this shows prospects.

Laughing at people who are still worried about the crying though, she teared up for half a second and snapped back to focus right away, haha.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Aida's kind of an idealist who has Strong Feelings about various things. I'm okay with that.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sharkopath posted:

She did a halo jump without oxygen in that first episode, yeah.

This episode ruled, mega pumped about this shows prospects.

Laughing at people who are still worried about the crying though, she teared up for half a second and snapped back to focus right away, haha.

You won't be laughing when Aida cries 25 out 25 episodes! :tinfoil:

John Carstairs posted:

Aida's kind of an idealist who has Strong Feelings about various things. I'm okay with that.

Also, this

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I followed most of the episode (though I was kind of wondering why they just let Aida back onto the G-Self, but I get the feeling they have a plan), but I have no idea what was up with the scene where they get the base jabber to land. They weren't running out of fuel or anything, and the thing could land on its own so why...?

This whole thing really reminds me of early ZZ, completely with nobody knowing how to close their cockpits. I also appreciate that Bellri and Noredo are just straight up good friends.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

I followed most of the episode (though I was kind of wondering why they just let Aida back onto the G-Self, but I get the feeling they have a plan), but I have no idea what was up with the scene where they get the base jabber to land. They weren't running out of fuel or anything, and the thing could land on its own so why...?

This whole thing really reminds me of early ZZ, completely with nobody knowing how to close their cockpits. I also appreciate that Bellri and Noredo are just straight up good friends.

It was pretty clearly crashing violently. They had to spray the thing with fire extinguishers and physically support the thing with the G-Self just to stabilize it enough to plow into the ground upright.

It was basically a combination of Bellri and Noredo wanting to help their instructor and Aida not wanting to see anyone die.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Everyone in this show is so incredibly relaxed. I love it.

Also, we're apparently four for four on Aida tearing up. Maybe this is Tomino's idea of a running gag.

In the last episode we will find out that the pirates are fighting for cleaner energy that doesn't emit pollution that causes eye irritation.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Pirate ship Megafauna

Brilliant

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ahaha no one cares about your live feelings about an anime, dude. Relax a bit, you seem really wound up about nothing at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Episode 3 was better than I feared it would be. The plot seems to be moving in interesting directions, the characters seem to be (mostly) making less stupid decisions so there's hope it'll get better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Episode 3 was pretty fun but it's really just kind of bizarre how everyone in the world seems functionally incapable of giving more than half a poo poo about anything no matter what. It's kind of the opposite of what I expect from a Tomino show. It's like everyone in the show is genetically incapable of being more than mildly perturbed at any situation.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ahaha no one cares about your live feelings about an anime, dude. Relax a bit, you seem really wound up about nothing at all.

lol u mad bro???? classic! an internet favorite

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I looked at it again for some reason and I gotta say

quote:

Mobile Suit Toilet. I knew it was coming, but that still seems bizzare to me. Good thing the Genius didn't hit the tree level a few seconds earlier. Also, Supposed piloting genius nearly crashes his suit into trees. (Incompetent military moment: 5)

That was a joke! A jokeeeeeeeee! The intent was for that scene to be humorous!

Broken Loose posted:

What are you even-

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

That's not what I was saying at all and Broken Loose, you of all people should not be part of a conversation about people wigging out about silly things in anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The entire point of Klim Nick is that he keeps calling himself a genius but isn't. He even makes fun of it himself when he berates himself for using the vulcans against a ranged enemy. He is not a Serious Character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

That thing's gotta be a hell in zero-g if it leaks though.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

He is not a Serious Character.

But if he keeps this up, he may just be the Best Character.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

That's not what I was saying at all and Broken Loose, you of all people should not be part of a conversation about people wigging out about silly things in anime.

chill out man it was a joke jeez

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The entire point of Klim Nick is that he keeps calling himself a genius but isn't. He even makes fun of it himself when he berates himself for using the vulcans against a ranged enemy. He is not a Serious Character.

I haven't watched a whole lot of L-Gaim but Klim really reminds me of Gavlet. Really seems like the same sort of character archetype here and I am down with that.

Broken Loose posted:

It's a little hosed up but I'm a firm believer in the idea that jokes should aspire to be funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

But if he keeps this up, he may just be the Best Character.

I have to say he's probably my favorite so far. He's goofy but he's also like the most... coherent character so far in a way.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Okay... I guess? I'm sorry that my attempt to amuse myself by nitpicking what is in my opinion a poorly made gundam show and posting it on the internet offends you.

Despite what you think I actually had a blast of a time poking fun at all the missteps of this series. There are a lot of times where I will watch something I consider bad, but have a grand old time making fun of it. I'm sorry if that bothers you. If it really bothers you I recommend you click profile---->Add User to Ignore List. It has worked wonders for me in the past.

quote:

That was a joke! A jokeeeeeeeee! The intent in point out that it was silly was to be humorous!

quote:

It's a little hosed up but I'm a firm believer in the idea that jokes should aspire to be funny.

Then I assume you agree that the toilet humor is not exactly the pinnacle of comedy?

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 10, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, he's pretty hilarious. I didn't expect him to live out the episode, though. Maybe he'll get trashed next week?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

Then I assume you agree that the toilet humor is not exactly the pinnacle of comedy?

Actually that scene at the end with Bellri pooping in the Gundam was good and funny.

Your jokes in that big wall of text are basically like the "Everything wrong with (movie)" videos and like those videos they just make me cringe really hard, sorry!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, he's pretty hilarious. I didn't expect him to live out the episode, though. Maybe he'll get trashed next week?

Nah, I bet he survives for a while. He's got wacky secondary dude written all over him.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i don't care that there's three girls in here i have to poop AND I HAVE TO POOP NOW

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, I bet he survives for a while. He's got wacky secondary dude written all over him.

Also that Montero isn't standard according to the HG kit, it's the Nick Krim Custom.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Actually that scene at the end with Bellri pooping in the Gundam was good and funny.

Your jokes in that big wall of text are basically like the "Everything wrong with (movie)" videos and like those videos they just make me cringe really hard, sorry!

Making toilet humor jokes tend to make me cringe really hard since I'm no longer seven, but I'm not going to tell you your view on the show is wrong.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's pretty funny to me since it's something you'd never expect with one guy alone in his Gundam, nevermind a scene where

muike posted:

i don't care that there's three girls in here i have to poop AND I HAVE TO POOP NOW

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Not to mention Klim's "Holy poo poo, are you actually going to do this?!"

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My friend and I were watching it together and had a really good time with naming off all the animals as they appeared. I really like this show so far.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

It's pretty funny to me since it's something you'd never expect with one guy alone in his Gundam, nevermind a scene where

I suppose. I just find it juvenile with an extra helping of LOLRANDOM! Look guys, I'm pooping in my gundam surrounded by three girls. Isn't that wacky and weird?

It goes towards my big problem with G-reco, which is that while it can do some little character moments surprisingly, perhaps even incredibly well, the overall feel of the show is one that totally lacks any sort of coherent reason for why a lot of things happen.

It feels like a script for the first three episodes had this as plot points:

-Monday ditches gundam
-Pirates attack the ship
-Bellri fights the Gundam and wins
-Bellri goes to rescue Aida
-Bellri goes to pilot the gundam
-Bellri kills Aida's buddy while she is on/in the gundam.
-Aida and cast get in the Gundam
-Cast go off to the pirates

It feels like they had a script that had just that, and then just wrote down the first thing that came into their head that would get them from one plot point to the next. Bellri wins because... the gundam really likes him! Ha! Bellri goes to rescue Aida because... He's really in love with her for some reason! Bellri goes to pilot the gundam because... reasons!

Like I said, there are things that I enjoy about this show. When they do little things like the weird glare after the butt grab, or when they fill us in on actual plotline for the setting. I think the idea of a UC that has regressed into some weird theocratic state where everyone gets their power as decreed by the space pope is drat cool, but that its pretty difficult to enjoy it when everyone in the setting seems to be huffed up on Nitrous and no one seems to care about anything unless someone dies, and then only when it suits the plot.

I mean, why did Aida take Bellri and his highschool lover along. Remember when he killed your friend a few minutes ago? Are you taking him to face justice? Did you just not care? Or is it simply because that is the next plot point that you've got to hit for the story to continue?

On that note however, I think I'll stay the gently caress out of this thread. Probably better things for everyone to do with their time than argue over whether poop jokes are funny.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 10, 2014

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

everythingWasBees posted:

I really really hope it stays this lighthearted. It'd be nice to have a Gundam that's not all doom and gloom.

I mean it won't, but it'd be nice.
I'm the opposite, I hope Kill 'em All Tomino is still kicking! It's good that he's not super depressed and in a dark place like when he made his best stuff, but I do think that is the best stuff. Zeta especially. Portraying war and machines with giant guns has gotta be pretty tragic and violent I'd say.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Given the info we have we can hazard a guess that there will be 2 named deaths, maaaaaayybe 3.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Ahah, I get it. It's cool. We're brothers in arms now

ImpAtom posted:

Klim Nick is pretty much the best.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Klim Nick is pretty much the best.

Apparently we are also brothers in arms now. Though I think I'd still put Bring Stabbity or Elbow Smash a tiny bit above it.

Klim Nick is more fun to say however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ahah, I get it. It's cool. We're brothers in arms now
I think still this show is quite poo poo in many ways, but I don't really care at this point now that Good Gundam has started airing and I can just rewatch episode 1 of that each time I consider arguing with you guys.

Unrelated: It's really funny comparing the AGE thread to this one. I love Tomino very much (Zeta and Ideon are 2 of my top 3 favorite shows) but the Tomino hype in here is so high that the same criticisms leveled at AGE are dogpiled down in here.

• Locked thread