Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Defending the honor of Bruce Lee is every man's God given responsibility.

Cause he was too small to defend himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
I think Bruce Lee would find the idea of people spending time arguing about who he could/n't beat up pretty funny.

...but could he make a funnier joke about it than Jackie Chan?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What I remember about The Matrix 2 is that incredibly goofy underground rave/sex scene, the fight with a dozen Agent Smiths that has really awful CGI and bowling pin SFX, some albino dreadlocked ninjas, a bit about a French guy who codes digital brownies to make women cum, and a weird nonending where Keanu Reeves talks to Col. Sanders for 20 minutes.
I remember reading about the technology they developed for the 100 Agent Smiths fight scene, and they said it was photorealistic. Yeah, ok buddy. :jerkbag:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember reading about the technology they developed for the 100 Agent Smiths fight scene, and they said it was photorealistic. Yeah, ok buddy. :jerkbag:
The CG in the Burly Brawl (why was it called that? Neither Neo nor Smith are in any way "burly") wasn't that bad overall. It was just that the Wachowskis pushed it too far by going "Yeah, let's hold on this slo-mo shot for a reeeeeally long time so that everyone can appreciate the plastic-looking clothing and the way everyone's limbs bend all wrong!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea there's only like two or three shots that are really that offensive in that fight, but holy poo poo are those shots bad. Watching it today they really bring down the entire scene.

Still I think the all-time worst offender is that scene from Blade 2. You know the one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was a kid who didn't notice bad CGI, so the fight with 100s of Smiths was my favorite movie fight scene for a long time. I miss not being able to notice bad CGI.

My new favorite fight scene

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

At this point it's clear I'm just a huge apologist but it feels like the Wachowskis are up to something on purpose by having the scene against numerous digital clones slowly devolve into obvious CGI and cartoony sound effects. Let's be frank: That bowling sound effect cannot possibly have been put there by accident.

As with Final Flight, I some people might be confusing 'bad' as a stylistic decision with 'bad' as in noticeable. I mean in most cases sure, noticeable unreal stuff is probably a bad thing for CGI to be - but in The Matrix?

Edit:

Payndz posted:

The CG in the Burly Brawl (why was it called that? Neither Neo nor Smith are in any way "burly") wasn't that bad overall. It was just that the Wachowskis pushed it too far by going "Yeah, let's hold on this slo-mo shot for a reeeeeally long time so that everyone can appreciate the plastic-looking clothing and the way everyone's limbs bend all wrong!"
http://www.burlymanentertainment.com/

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 1, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
At the time that poo poo was the most amazing CG anyone had ever seen. Especially Flight of the Osiris.

Hbomberguy posted:

Let's be frank: That bowling sound effect cannot possibly have been put there by accident.

There's nothing wrong with the bowling sound FX. I think it was effective.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 1, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

At this point it's clear I'm just a huge apologist but it feels like the Wachowskis are up to something on purpose by having the scene against numerous digital clones slowly devolve into obvious CGI and cartoony sound effects. Let's be frank: That bowling sound effect cannot possibly have been put there by accident.
It was put there for funsies because, hey, actions figures and stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I was trying to guess what it would be and I narrowed it down to Ip Man and The Raid.

That scene in Ip Man is so amazing because its like halfway through the movie, and the whole time Master Ip has been holding back. There ends up being a HUGE difference between good natured Master Ip having a sparring match with one of the other martial arts masters in the neighborhood, and Master Ip when he's actually trying to gently caress you up.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Basebf555 posted:

I was trying to guess what it would be and I narrowed it down to Ip Man and The Raid.
I was predicting either The Raid or Indian Terminator.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

At the time that poo poo was the most amazing CG anyone had ever seen. Especially Flight of the Osiris.
I need to take some of the stuff I said about Final Flight back, it actually looks better than I remember it looking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the real thing to take away from this is that Stan Winston was a genius and animatronics needs to make a comeback.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The bowling sound effect gag was genuinely funny and one of the bright spots in a pretty wordy and joyless movie overall, so I liked it. I don't blame people for hating it though because it's more or less the embodiment of how uneven the sequels were as a whole.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

exquisite tea posted:

The bowling sound effect gag was genuinely funny and one of the bright spots in a pretty wordy and joyless movie overall, so I liked it. I don't blame people for hating it though because it's more or less the embodiment of how uneven the sequels were as a whole.

I honestly never noticed it and I've seen Reloaded 3 or 4 times. I think its funny too; it would be great if its Neo "One-ing" the Matrix to change the sound rules for a sec, as a burn on Smith.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I dunno, looks pretty photorealistic to me.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
It looks good as a single image against a plain background and carefully set up lighting. The problem is that in the actual movie, it has to be shown in motion, in a variety of lighting conditions. And in that situation, any one thing being slightly off can make the whole thing seem fake. Uncanny valley and all that.

The biggest issue is probably facial animation. Human brains are really, really good at detecting subtle changes in facial expressions for obvious evolutionary reasons, and the human face has 43 distinct muscles. Animating all that by hand that takes a long time, and motion capturing faces is hard, especially when the movie was made. I remember watching a making of documentary for Enter the Matrix, and the facial motion capture was done by literally gluing a bunch of white dots to the actor's face.

This is why, in Tron Legacy, Clu and young!Flynn look very real when you pause the movie, but they always seem "off" when you watch the scenes in motion. And that was made almost ten years later.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

INH5 posted:

This is why, in Tron Legacy, Clu and young!Flynn look very real when you pause the movie, but they always seem "off" when you watch the scenes in motion. And that was made almost ten years later.

Although to be fair it's at least thematically appropriate for Clu (they should've just had young Flynn just not seen in the opening scene and hand wave the flashback due to Grid shenanigans).

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS

INH5 posted:

Tron: Legacy's SFX made my wife fall madly in love with young Jeff Bridges. They should have that fact, like, hanging on a wall in their offices or something.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

I think the main thing that bugs me about the fight is the constant switch between CG and live action that takes place throughout. If they had stuck with full on CG after the initial transition, it would be a lot less jarring in my opinion.

That said, there are some of the CG bits that really work for me, and the ones that work best are the ones that really pull back and almost overwhelm your visual senses. The top down view of Neo in the center picking off Smiths one by one looks almost like a game of Smash TV - but there's so much going on and the details are so small - that you don't really have time to be distracted by the CG.

Same thing when Neo first bursts out from under the huge dogpile of Smiths - they explode up and outward - and most of the Smiths have a real visual heaviness to them. The visual is really cool - but it's super busy - so you again don't have time to pinpoint a lot of the issues because you never really settle on one focal point.

That's in comparison to the bit where he home run swings a single Smith through the window of a building in the background. There's one clear focal point - and it's Smith spinning through the air while looking like a weightless video game ragdoll. It doesn't really seem to apply to the same physics as the rest of the fight - and it's always made the CG stand out even more to me. Almost immediately after, he knocks a single Smith up about 30 feet into the air, and it's the same issue. Then he does another baseball style swing, and the next Smith doesn't spin or do anything crazy - he flies back into a park bench with some real weight behind him - and of course that's where they transition back to live action - because it's the only realistic spot to do so.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I think the proof of concept is more interesting (3:54). Maybe because it doesn't jump between CG and live action so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkpjPVvHDQI

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the bowling sound effect was funnier in Turtles 2. What really bothered me was the sound when Smith entered the scene. There's a bunch of crows flying away as he walks on stage in slow motion, and I guess the sound we hear is supposed to be those crows cawing ominously. It sounds like someone is trying to drown a dog.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Nipplebox posted:

I think the proof of concept is more interesting (3:54). Maybe because it doesn't jump between CG and live action so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkpjPVvHDQI

Maybe I'm not understanding, but it looks to me like the entire actual shot is CG - no jumping at all. Of course I assumed there were digital extras, but I wouldn't have guessed that nothing in that shot was real. Wow.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Not can't, won't.

they can't do the fusion dance since that requires the two partners to be similar.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

they can't do the fusion dance since that requires the two partners to be similar.

Is this a statement about the Wachowski siblings?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding, but it looks to me like the entire actual shot is CG - no jumping at all. Of course I assumed there were digital extras, but I wouldn't have guessed that nothing in that shot was real. Wow.

Just after that final shot, it switches to live action, but the proof of concept had no cuts, and it looks more interesting and easier to follow.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
One of the biggest differences between the original and the sequels is that the original could be seen entirely as an allegory for dissatisfaction with modern life - like an existential feeling that there is something wrong but you're not quite sure what. This struck a chord with me when I first saw it, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

The sequels, on the other hand, are about a messiah trying to save his people. Not very relateable.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I think when SMG said the first Matrix had some horror movie nods, that nails it for me. There were some legitimately creepy things going on in the Matrix that made it almost like a "thriller".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first movie definitely had horror. For Neo to break free of the simulated world he had to go up against invincible CIA spooks, have his mouth taken away, get a huge mechanical insect ripped out of his belly, nearly drown in icy liquid modem, wake up from a lifelong perma coma and have to tear out life support tentacles from all over his body before being plunged into a sewer and almost drown, and then there is the constant stream of mindfucks on top of that. Oh and they're constantly being hunted by Giant Terminator Octopuses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's interesting to me is that a year after the first Matrix came out, X-Men brought about this big Superhero Movie Revival. Matrix 1 ends almost setting up a Neo As A Superhero Movie, which I think would have been pretty solid basis for plotlines: Neo's superpowers come from loving up the Matrix, him being a superhero so is causing more and more pinpricks in the water balloon (for one, turning an ex-agent into a virus with superpowers of his own, which isn't cool for either side), and everyone is worried about when the whole drat thing is going to pop.

Completely unrelated, but I think my favorite scene in Revolutions is when MachineBabyHead lights up Neo with Smith-Be-Gone. Sure, MBH doesn't say anything, but I'm a sucker for "Villain overplays his hand by just enough for authority to smash him" scenes.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Was it actually canon that the machines took humans for energy or did the freed humans just not know and took a best guess? Using human brains as a massive neural network makes more sense.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm still trying to figure out what happened to all the regular humans once Smith took them all over.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to all the regular humans once Smith took them all over.

Maybe it's like Trancers where the person's brain is just dreaming about whatever as if they're asleep until Smith is gone.

The other thing that makes the first Matrix more horror/thriller like is that there aren't as many agents but each one is considered a big deal. They have to be super cautious about doing anything in the matrix.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe it's like Trancers where the person's brain is just dreaming about whatever as if they're asleep until Smith is gone.

The other thing that makes the first Matrix more horror/thriller like is that there aren't as many agents but each one is considered a big deal. They have to be super cautious about doing anything in the matrix.

One of the biggest complaints from most people is that the Agents just weren't all that threatening anymore in Reloaded, while they didn't even appear in Revolutions.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Was it actually canon that the machines took humans for energy or did the freed humans just not know and took a best guess? Using human brains as a massive neural network makes more sense.

It was actually canon. It's fun to think- the Network explanation probably would've survived to release had the film been made a few years later, but a lot of other stuff (for some reason I'm stuck thinking about those half-CD half-floppy-disk things that were around for six months) would have changed.

(I was a kid at the time and just sort of assumed this, but in 1999, a lot of people still didn't know about the Internet, right? Like, just explaining it as "we're the Internet" wouldn't have been an option?)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ninjasaurus posted:

One of the biggest complaints from most people is that the Agents just weren't all that threatening anymore in Reloaded, while they didn't even appear in Revolutions.

I imagine they would have grown wise to Smith taking over the Matrix one person at a time and I would have liked to see the last few remaining Agents circling the wagons in a futile attempt to stop him. Would have been a nice parallel to the humans' fight against the Sentinels.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

(I was a kid at the time and just sort of assumed this, but in 1999, a lot of people still didn't know about the Internet, right? Like, just explaining it as "we're the Internet" wouldn't have been an option?)

Even if the Internet Option were available, I don't think people would've bought into it at the time. Christ, something tells me that trying that option today wouldn't fly. Your average movie-goer today doesn't really have a concrete grasp on what it takes for the Internet to work, and they'd look down at their smartphone and immediately doubt that even a huge amount of brains could do the same job as it. People get batteries. They don't get neural networks in the same way.

You'd basically have people wondering why the robots didn't just make a robotic network instead of using brains, because (I suspect) they'd just assume that a mechanical network is better.

Honestly, I would've prefered that the humans didn't know why everyone is hooked in, assume malice, and ultimately discover that it's just part-and-parcel of the original "Serve Humans" programming from their earliest days. Neo :smug:ly tells the Architect that if the Matrix goes down the Machines will die, and the Architect responds with :confused: No we wouldn't. You think we kept you alive for that? Seriously?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheston posted:

It was actually canon. It's fun to think- the Network explanation probably would've survived to release had the film been made a few years later, but a lot of other stuff (for some reason I'm stuck thinking about those half-CD half-floppy-disk things that were around for six months) would have changed.
Zip drives. Educate yourself fool!

quote:

One thing that really, REALLY bothered me was that media outlets kept saying the Internet played a big role in The Matrix, perhaps because they were directed by their troglodyte bosses to shoehorn "Internet" into as many stories as possible.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

When the nurse talks about bane she mentions that his brain forcibly created a bunch of new neural pathways, presumably this is "Smith", as the machine code and DNA are supposed to be compatible somehow. I guess when the matrix 'restored' everybody it was a DNA 'code' that forcibly closed all those Neural pathways, which is probably hells of painful for a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Josh Lyman posted:

Zip drives. Educate yourself fool!

Minidiscs

• Locked thread