Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Probably one of the better GP races to happen in some time. It's hilarious how bad the rain strategy in GP is compared to something like F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

n8r posted:

Probably one of the better GP races to happen in some time. It's hilarious how bad the rain strategy in GP is compared to something like F1.

You can do a lot more to mitigate water with four tires and comical amounts of downforce. :v:

I'm not sure MotoGP should race in the wet at all, though I imagine that's economically infeasible.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

You can do a lot more to mitigate water with four tires and comical amounts of downforce. :v:

I'm not sure MotoGP should race in the wet at all, though I imagine that's economically infeasible.

That's not what I was talking about. In particular F1 teams have crazy forecasting and stuff like that. The GP teams go outside the paddock and hold their hands out it seems.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

That's not what I was talking about. In particular F1 teams have crazy forecasting and stuff like that. The GP teams go outside the paddock and hold their hands out it seems.
And then they don't even tell the rider what to do with pit boards, they just let him screw it up for 4 laps until he crashes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

They're so bad at it you look around the pits on obviously sunny days and they've got all the pit girls holding umbrellas

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Wasn't there a race just this season where the rain threatened and the teams all had a second bike with wet tires equiped? I can't remember if it was wsbk or motoGP, but it was awesome, they were practicing flying into the pit and jumping off their bike at an idle roll onto the wet bike their team was holding.

Of course with <4 laps to go nobody would want to take the time to do that, but if it was mandatory, like a blue flag or something...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It was MotoGp. Can't recall which race it was specifically. I disagree with a mandatory flag stop though. I like that it's up to the rider to decide when to come in.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
They COULD say a hard sudden rain was in the same category as a spill on the track that required a pit.

I'm just saying it's not a stretch, I do not endorse my own thoughts. They pay their teams a lot of money, the big boys can look at the loving weather radars in the area and plan accordingly.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I like that it's not F1 and there's not a an engineer dedicated to deciding when exactly grip levels cross the threshold where having wets on would be better and orders are issued by radio to the driver to pit this lap. I know that probably doesn't actually happen and that radio rules have just been tightened considerably, but you know what I mean.

I like that with MotoGP the team have until the race to get the bike sorted, and after that they can only let a rider know basic info that can be fit on a pit board. I like that a rider can be stubborn and take a gamble like Pedrosa and Marquez did (which they know the risks of damned well) and make a complete hash of it. The fact that they are allowed to gently caress up so badly is pretty cool. If nothing else it could certainly introduce more excitement in a boring championship and shake things up through the field.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Suzuki confirms with A. Espargaro and M. Vinales - should be interesting!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Nitramster posted:

They COULD say a hard sudden rain was in the same category as a spill on the track that required a pit.

I'm just saying it's not a stretch, I do not endorse my own thoughts. They pay their teams a lot of money, the big boys can look at the loving weather radars in the area and plan accordingly.

If the rain is that bad they red flag it IIRC

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nsaP posted:

If the rain is that bad they red flag it IIRC

Seriously I like that riders are encouraged to push their comfort level but in the end rider safety has to take precedence

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pedrosa trying a new approach on turn 11:

https://gfycat.com/CalmLimpingCrow

I don't blame him for loving up, it'd be impossible to count how many times I've screwed that corner up in Forza.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

xzzy posted:

Pedrosa trying a new approach on turn 11:

https://gfycat.com/CalmLimpingCrow

I don't blame him for loving up, it'd be impossible to count how many times I've screwed that corner up in Forza.

:eyepop:

Also, no Daytona 200 for 2015:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2014/Oct/141010noday.htm

I wonder, is this a case of Bill France being butthurt about losing the AMA Roadracing contract?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Love me some GP

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those rotors look so loving fischer price. If it wasn't for the insane forks and calipers I would have guessed that was some jerkoff's first home brew carbon rotor attempt.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that rough surface an optical illusion? It looks so uneven it would eat a set of pads in 2 laps.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
ducati pole wtf

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nsaP posted:

ducati pole wtf

No poo poo, the new Ducati GP14.2 bikes are really working for them. Good to see the marque back on form and being competitive. Go Rossi starting second especially after the last race.

I am hoping against all hope that even if Suzuki doesn't win anything next year, they are at least competitive.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

It's more the rule differences they get that's working for them, and some tracks suiting them. Once they lose the SS tyre, etc. I don't think they'll keep where they are. They'll be more inline with the satellite bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I missed the Q, how come Marcy Marc didn't get pole? Crash?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Never looked on form tbh.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Moto3 is at 10 EST tonight IIRC and GP lights out at 1. Good evening of racing if you're on the west coast tonight.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

nsaP posted:

ducati pole wtf

I actually had Dovi as getting the pole here he's always fast at Motegi and there aren't a ton of corners for the Ducati to understeer through, just hard braking and big straights. I would not have minded a Rossi pole either so this result is fine by me.

Edited to throw in a video of Pedrobot's stoppie with him looking very pleased with himself at the end as well he should.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTS7foJQf8

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 12, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Watch Moto3, drat great race and a full on scrap right up until the end.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I wonder if Marquez will be the Rossi of his generation... He's definitely got the personality for it.

I think it will be interesting to see if Lorenzo and Rossi can continue to step up their game. I think there is a very good chance either of them will give Marquez some trouble through the end of this season and next year. If I had to guess by looking at some of the elbow down stuff we've seen from the other riders that they are learning/using some of Marquez's own tricks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Not really race related, but something I thought was pretty cool - not sure if many of you follow F1 as well but in the race in Japan Jules Bianchi slid off track and crashed into one of the recovery cranes and took a massive hit to his head at something like 50g. I know a lot of the MotoGP and F1 guys go to eachothers races and interact a decent amount, just read from a message Bianchis father put out that both Rossi and Marquez had contacted him to wish their best and offer any help they could. Pretty cool of them IMO.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Watch the Moto3 race. If you want to see dicing and scrapping the entire way, the racers looking for space from each other and trying different line about every other lap.

I feel bad for Fenati, he was going so well all race only to get bumped and crash 2 laps from the end.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Moto3 wasn't too bad, glad Jack won. Moto2 is another snoozefest. None of these guys are exciting to watch :/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Holy crap, MotoGP crash fest, everyone that finished got points...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lol Smith so happy he couldn't even come up with anything after the big cry

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Such a good MotoGP race, holy poo poo. Really happy for Smith, although I'm a little bummed for Cal.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The whole lot of the bt commentary team are degenerate gamblers

12:1

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

loving Cal Crutchlow. The commentators were talking about what a great race he was having but I had a feeling he was going to crash, just from past performance. At least in this case it seems like tyres were an issue late in the race as a few of the crashes including the race leader were due to losing the front end under brakes, but holy poo poo..

Moto3 was great, I wonder if Jack was pretending not to have the power or it was really all in his swerving to break the tow. Loved the way he kept sticking it to Marquez by sitting him up, nice hard riding!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Hondas actually do have a power advantage over the KTMs this season. I'm surprised he didn't lose out before the line on that last lap, I thought he'd want to go into that last corner/straight in 2nd or something for the slipstream. Assumed leading would be a disadvantage.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

I'm pretty sure the Hondas actually do have a power advantage over the KTMs this season. I'm surprised he didn't lose out before the line on that last lap, I thought he'd want to go into that last corner/straight in 2nd or something for the slipstream. Assumed leading would be a disadvantage.

That's what I mean, on previous similar occasions they reeled him in with no problems, so it seemed weird that on the final lap they didn't do the same. I wouldn't have thought they'd need the slipstream to take him.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Holy poo poo loving Cal. Holy poo poo loving Rossi!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
All 3 races were great! pity about the tires affecting so much in MotoGP though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

krushgroove posted:

All 3 races were great! pity about the tires affecting so much in MotoGP though.

At least it wasn't as bad as last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Glad Rossi got a win again, otherwise gently caress this race.

• Locked thread