Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It's a 3-colour common. It's not like Dezani needed to save the Witness, since casting Avalanche Tusker was the correct play against every card in the format except End Hostilities.

seriously, even in the abstract, would you pay 5 mana to save a 2/2 or pay 6 to add a 6/4 to the board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It reminds me of how MaRo said players tend to rate lowly a card with a terrible ability, even if the rest of it is on curve. Dezani would have won that game if his Witness of the Ages was a Gray Ogre instead, because it wouldn't have allowed him to make that awful error.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

In other plays that confused me- Goud just Master the Way'd Sorin instead of killing a 2/2 kheru bloodsucker (Reid was tapped out) and bashing with a 2/2 morph to kill Sorin. It just seems completely backwards. Especially now that we learn that goud has mindswipe in hand. I think Goud's chances to win the game go up a lot if he killed the bloodsucker there.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 10, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

If your opponent plays their 5th mana precombat and has Jeskai, Temur or Abzan colors available you always, always assume Weaponmaster, Snowhorn or Guide. Ponyback Brigade generally doesn't flip midcombat and Abomination is less of a blowout, but those three are consistent traps that are always played in on-color decks and are common, so you have to assume that your opponent has it even if you haven't seen it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It reminds me of how MaRo said players tend to rate lowly a card with a terrible ability, even if the rest of it is on curve. Dezani would have won that game if his Witness of the Ages was a Gray Ogre instead, because it wouldn't have allowed him to make that awful error.

It feels like a version of the kicker problem, where players will hold on to cards with kicker or buyback or other abilities like that until they can cast them for full value... and promptly lose because what they really needed to do was just use the cheaper mode at the point in the game where it would've ended up mattering more. Look at Kavu Titan, for instance. Sometimes the right play is to just drop a bear on turn two, but what they noticed was that people showed a disproportionate desire to hold on until they could cast it for 5... even when doing that ends up costing them the game.

Sometimes, it's okay to just trade away your gray ogre rather than unmorph it for full value.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

In honor of our hero, Dezani, MODO has declared today "Seriously, Nobody Draft Temur" Day.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Unrelated: sometimes pack lotto works out. A local shop apparently came across a bunch of foreign-language Khans (Korean, Japanese, Russian), so I bought two Japanese packs and one Korean because what the hell. Three packs: Korean Wooded Foothills, Japanese Polluted Delta, Japanese Flooded Strand.

Maybe I should go back and get more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sarcastro posted:

Unrelated: sometimes pack lotto works out. A local shop apparently came across a bunch of foreign-language Khans (Korean, Japanese, Russian), so I bought two Japanese packs and one Korean because what the hell. Three packs: Korean Wooded Foothills, Japanese Polluted Delta, Japanese Flooded Strand.

When you win, you stop playing. That way you stop a winner.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Sickening posted:

When you win, you stop playing. That way you stop a winner.

LET IT RIDE!

But yeah, I won't be foolish.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sarcastro posted:

Find someone who thinks "foreign language == more valuable" and flip them to him/her for cash.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Craig Wescoe makes a casual 11/11 for 2 mana just because when do you ever have a chance to do that. Didn't even need it to win that turn.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Welp nothing to see here.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 10, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
That match was halfway to Vintage. Cifka paid U to draw 3, and Wescoe put an 11/11 into play for even cheaper than Tinker.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sarmhan posted:

He didn't actually win that turn- ride down doesn't do anything vs the embodiment.

The Embodiment doesn't have haste.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The Embodiment doesn't have haste.
Oh poo poo you're right. I got it confused with the embodiment from earlier in the game.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I missed the 11/11 play can someone sum up the situation?

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I missed the 11/11 play can someone sum up the situation?

Kin-Tree Invocation cast on a buffed up Rotting Mastodon.

I got to make a couple 8/8 tokens at prerelease with that combo so it was cool to see it.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Cernunnos posted:

Ultra Pro makes such great products as... and...

Really their only good thing is the upcoming Savage Punch playmat.

I snagged some of their perfect-fit wannabe Pokémon sleeves from Target for my friends' weekend drafts and they're surprisingly good.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
If I play Anger of the Gods with a face-up Ashcloud Phoenix, does the Phoenix return or get exiled?

e: Answering my own question, it looks like it gets exiled.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hagon's hair looks less awful than usual.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hagon's hair looks less awful than usual.

Just you wait till Sunday.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
I decided to try this game after loving Hearthstone. Bought a Mardu starter deck. booster contained Sorin, sold Sorin to some guy for the cost of the starter deck. Jobs a good 'un.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Trip Report on my very first FNM!

Got in early and played some casual games with friends after watching a draft I couldn't turn up to the start of end, then did some trading to get Master of the Feast x4 and my final Bloodsoaked Champion. Slotted them into my deck, registered and got slotted into the newbie pool as it was my first time, then got into my first game!

Round 1, won 2-0 - 1st year student at the neighbouring university, he'd bought a M15 toolkit and so had constructed a red/green deck out of basically every somewhat decent one he'd pulled. Rushed with Bloodsoaked Champions for 2-0, then proceeded to have a look through his deck and see what he could improve (as well as help sleeve it up).

Round 2 won 2-0 - Another R/G player, though he had some alright stuff (Kiora's follower combos etc.). Managed to turn 3 Master both games and he couldn't deal with it, though he got me down to 1 on the second game when I had to block a trampler with Tormented Hero. Played a couple of casual games with him after and found out he had both Coursers and Caryatids, and hadn't drawn into them surprisingly.

Round 3, lost 0-2 - Friend of a friend who'd bought the event deck, then proceeded to get the God Hand twice in a row with stacking Chiefs of the Edge/Scale and Seeker of the Way. Unfortunately couldn't race him fast enough, so lost both.

Round 4, won 2-1 - Weird semi-mirror matchup against a guy who was running a similiar deck but with some of the 1 drops subbed out for green enchantments, which caused me to lose a game when he used Ranger's Guile on his own Master in response to removal. Otherwise, the games basically came down to who played Master first and hoping Pain Seer didn't draw anything too expensive.

Overall, had a good run. My 2nd place prize packs had a Bloodstained Mire in there so was pretty chuffed with that, and also amused at how silly my promo Fanatic of Xenagos looks. Will definitely go back for the next one (though will probably be put into the proper pool as I placed fairly high).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dave Williams, on his opponent casting a Dig Through Time for two after filling his graveyard with See The Unwritten: "Jesus Christ."

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

AgentSythe posted:

Dave Williams, on his opponent casting a Dig Through Time for two after filling his graveyard with See The Unwritten: "Jesus Christ."

at that point you just wink at your opponent.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SierraNovember posted:

I decided to try this game after loving Hearthstone. Bought a Mardu starter deck. booster contained Sorin, sold Sorin to some guy for the cost of the starter deck. Jobs a good 'un.

Welcome! Magic is a complicated game, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

SierraNovember posted:

If that's true you lost 10bux out of the dealio.
also magic is fun and very entertaining and will make you broke ENJOY\

The Wicked Wall posted:

Trip Report on my very first FNM!

Got in early and played some casual games with friends after watching a draft I couldn't turn up to the start of end, then did some trading to get Master of the Feast x4 and my final Bloodsoaked Champion. Slotted them into my deck, registered and got slotted into the newbie pool as it was my first time, then got into my first game!

Round 1, won 2-0 - 1st year student at the neighbouring university, he'd bought a M15 toolkit and so had constructed a red/green deck out of basically every somewhat decent one he'd pulled. Rushed with Bloodsoaked Champions for 2-0, then proceeded to have a look through his deck and see what he could improve (as well as help sleeve it up).

Round 2 won 2-0 - Another R/G player, though he had some alright stuff (Kiora's follower combos etc.). Managed to turn 3 Master both games and he couldn't deal with it, though he got me down to 1 on the second game when I had to block a trampler with Tormented Hero. Played a couple of casual games with him after and found out he had both Coursers and Caryatids, and hadn't drawn into them surprisingly.

Round 3, lost 0-2 - Friend of a friend who'd bought the event deck, then proceeded to get the God Hand twice in a row with stacking Chiefs of the Edge/Scale and Seeker of the Way. Unfortunately couldn't race him fast enough, so lost both.

Round 4, won 2-1 - Weird semi-mirror matchup against a guy who was running a similiar deck but with some of the 1 drops subbed out for green enchantments, which caused me to lose a game when he used Ranger's Guile on his own Master in response to removal. Otherwise, the games basically came down to who played Master first and hoping Pain Seer didn't draw anything too expensive.

Overall, had a good run. My 2nd place prize packs had a Bloodstained Mire in there so was pretty chuffed with that, and also amused at how silly my promo Fanatic of Xenagos looks. Will definitely go back for the next one (though will probably be put into the proper pool as I placed fairly high).
That's good to hear man, save that Bloodstained Mire for either Modern/Legacy or for a rainy day, it's gun b gud.
Is your MBA deck pretty fast on average?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Tossed a couple lands on the table after deckbuilding. Person across from me was (unbeknown to me) hit and felt aggressed. During turn 3 of game 1, I get pulled out and told my tournament is over. Zero tolerance policy for potentially aggressive behavior. Intent is not taken into consideration."

Not even his opponent lmao

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AgentSythe posted:

My draft deck last week had those and I too lived that dream. My opponent was not amused.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"Tossed a couple lands on the table after deckbuilding. Person across from me was (unbeknown to me) hit and felt aggressed. During turn 3 of game 1, I get pulled out and told my tournament is over. Zero tolerance policy for potentially aggressive behavior. Intent is not taken into consideration."

Are you quoting some dumb reddit poo poo up in here?

It's probably better than average content for this thread, anyway.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is the end of the slippery slope of not being able to take pictures of people showing off their asscracks in a public venue.

Where is this from?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Greg Ogreenc at the Pro Tour. I'm loving it it's so stupid.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I was hoping it was some anecdote from FNM or something with a tinpot dictator store owner. If tossing cards onto a table and accidentally hitting someone is cause for ejection from the Pro Tour then we really have passed into the realm of self-parody.

e: I would say that whoever narced on him should be shunned Wescoe-betting-style, but they may genuinely have just wanted someone to tell him not to do that anymore, I have no idea.

e2: I mean it's also not outside the realm of possibility that we'll find out that the dude actually spiked the cards directly at someone else on purpose and he's trying to spin it a different way. I guess I should withhold judgment.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 11, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

neetengie posted:

That's good to hear man, save that Bloodstained Mire for either Modern/Legacy or for a rainy day, it's gun b gud.
Is your MBA deck pretty fast on average?

It's fairly fast, not Subsligh by any means but turn 5 win can happen it seems if nothing big gets blocked. I had to swap out a few 4ths of the 1-drops (except Bloodsoaked Champion because bananas) to get Master in, though Mogis' kind of compensates for this by just letting everything go ham as a finisher. I also got a 2nd Whip of Erebos in there now so it actually shows up when I want it. I also threw in 3 Temples of Malice as part of my 22 lands, which were really pulling their weight earlier. My plan RE: The fetchland is to wait and see what the pro tour does to the local metagame, and if MBA gets midranged out in the next events I'll probably transition into a R/B aggroey midrange thing as I have some okay red cards and 2 Sarkhans still.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I just won a weird mtgo swiss draft I was playing straight 4 color on the back of 2 drops being really, really good in khans...I basically always had a play by turn 2.

First match was against a temur player who was really slow to start, not having a play until turn 4. I won by using Act of Treason on his Meandering Towershell... which is a great feeling. he conceded game 2 after missing his turn 4 land and being outnumbered by 2 power creatures.

Second match was against WUBR. First match they had no creatures and instead just answered me 1-1 with removal until turn 5, except they were one turn behind, so they just took 2 damage a turn from my highland game. They conceded when I used Timely Hordemate to bring back Mardu Skullhunter. Second match fell a bit into a stall after I brought him down to 4 health, but I managed to steal the game with act of treason + feat of resistance on his Flying Prowess creature.

Third Match was against the slowest Player I've ever seen... he had 1 minute and 20 seconds left when he won the first game with a topdecked flying crane kick on turn...I think 12 (played first, no card draw, 21 cards left in deck). I was stuck on 4 lands for most of the game, and I was off white (which is a fair risk when you're playing 4 color). Second game he had no plays and I had him to 14 life by the time he conceded on turn 4 with 40 seconds left. 3rd game he took 10 seconds deciding if he wanted to play first, then he conceded.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Butcher of the Horde declared best Khans Standard card.

:c00l:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Standard is now starting on the Pro Tour broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2v-uRBYuc

Edit: First match is Ben Stark with Jeskai Aggro, vs. Raphael Levy as Mardu Planeswalkers control deck

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
LSV is playing Jeskai Ascendancy Combo, apparently. God bless that man.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Commentary reveals that LSV's on Ascendancy Combo this weekend, awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
LSV is playing Standard Ascendency Combo, looking forward to seeing that on coverage.

• Locked thread