Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's like a Car, except the Car is Pol Pot Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes making one of the female protagonists brain damaged and having her act very child like is perfectly normal because there's in universe logical reasons for how it came about.

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

Woah :stare: This dude isn't messing around, he really cares about women and feels strongly about them and their portayal on Gundam Reconguista in G.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

So far there hasn't been a single good analogy made in this thread, maybe it's time to stop trying.

Rape, racism...we should go for a hat trick and talk about facism, imo.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

G-Reco is the Kill la Kill of Gundam.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think she's an insult to all women but she is a pretty fuckin' awful character so far.

GimmickMan posted:

Even as just 3 episodes I'd say its far better than the vast majority of gundam shows before it, Not as good as 0080 or Turn A, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The dark secret about gundam is that gundam isn't actually very good, really.

Macross has way higher quality to content ratio, for example.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sharkopath posted:

Well the majority of that is Macross 7 pulling the whole franchise up in quality.

Dynamite Explosion once again!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Even as just 3 episodes I'd say its far better than the vast majority of gundam shows before it, Not as good as 0080 or Turn A, though.

More interesting than Zeta, at the very least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

The Birth of a Nation is a bit of an extreme comparison, don't you think? I mean yeah G-Reco clearly has some issues with female characters so far but it doesn't pin literally all of society's ills on women like Birth does with black people.

No, but you can't excuse that stuff with saying "well there's reasons in the story for this". That's the comparison I was making.

GimmickMan posted:

Kill la Kill is awesome, though, and actually pretty feminist. :confused:

Fucker posted:

Woah :stare: This dude isn't messing around, he really cares about women and feels strongly about them and their portayal on Gundam Reconguista in G.

Not a guy.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I ...what?
Not at all, dude.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes making one of the female protagonists brain damaged and having her act very child like is perfectly normal because there's in universe logical reasons for how it came about.

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

Kirara became a better character by basically being written out and replaced by a completely different character with the same design. (And in doing so they retroactively made her initial appearance way creepier but you just ignore it because it's never mentioned again.)

I won't mind if it happens to Monday, mind, since anything is better than GEEEEEEE.

While it may not have been handled particularly well, I would argue that her initial appearance is important to her overall characterization and arc. Her 'big' moment in yelling at Fellini for throwing away his dreams and goals in a moment of anger and her admonishment to keep trying 'if not today, then tomorrow; if not tomorrow, the day after tomorrow' works best in the context of her having tried to become famous via one method, failed, and then picking herself up and trying another, more successful method.

I just don't think they struck the right balance between her being unsympathetic and showing future potential in her initial appearance, and I'm pretty sure the writers knew it too, (Reiji's remarks on her is basically them waving their hands wildly and going 'Don't think that badly of her, guys!') but I could definitely see what they were going for.

More on G-Reco, I just realized that I still have no idea what this supposed 'pressure' is that the Montero was supposed to display.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Please stop making this thread worse every time you post in it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Kill la Kill thread was awful.

:thejoke:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

More on G-Reco, I just realized that I still have no idea what this supposed 'pressure' is that the Montero was supposed to display.

The fact that until Dellensen showed up to be awesome the Montero basically singlehandedly clowned the entire Capital Army, I think.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Essentially a big bully middle schooler beating up a bunch of third graders.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WickedHate posted:

WickedHate posted:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Gundam shows look pretty great from the outside. Seeing screenshots, designs and hearing fans talk about them tends to paint a much prettier picture than they actually are.

That's not to say I've disliked every Gundam show I've seen, but that's the impression I've gotten.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Gundam has great designs, excellent toys, and enjoyably silly names.

It also usually has mediocre to poor writing, but eh you can't win them all.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

WickedHate posted:

I was ready to point out that a lot of the same people who defended Kill la Kill are defending G-Reco and then this happened. ADTRW, never change.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

this analogy is more offensive than anything that's been in this show so far

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I was ready to point out that a lot of the same people who defended Kill la Kill are defending G-Reco and then this happened. ADTRW, never change.

There are a fair amount of people here who didn't defend KLK and are defending this show.

Kinda why blanket statements like that tend to make for poor discourse :v:

(Also you do realize you're literally attacking someone who shared a lot of your opinions on the show, right?)

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 11, 2014

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the teenager that spent 5 pages defending The Irregular At Magic High School and thinks KLK is feminist (???) is here to let everyone know that thinking a character in an anime isn't misogynistic means that you're a KKK supporting racist

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Budget Cop posted:

the teenager that spent 5 pages defending The Irregular At Magic High School and thinks KLK is feminist (???) is here to let everyone know that thinking a character in an anime isn't misogynistic means that you're a KKK supporting racist

That's clearly not what I was saying, and I realized Mahouka was terrible eventually.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Srice posted:

(Also you do realize you're literally attacking someone who shared a lot of your opinions on the show, right?)

I'm aware. It's just a poison in this forum in general, like the guy who said he'd "be happy if he never heard the word misogyny again" or you, who recently claimed that episode 1 of KLK didn't actually feature any rape.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I'm aware. It's just a poison in this forum in general, like the guy who said he'd "be happy if he never heard the word misogyny again" or you, who recently claimed that episode 1 of KLK didn't actually feature any rape.

I only watched a little bit of KLK? I don't care about the show but saying that the outfit raped Ryuko in the first episode is a really silly claim. At any rate, not a discussion that's really relevant here unless it gets rapey. Which I doubt since G-Reco is not the rape-filled Sunrise show of the season, after all!

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 11, 2014

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

That's clearly not what I was saying, and I realized Mahouka was terrible eventually.
you're comparing defending some dumb character in some dumb fictional anime to defending a real life racist organization in a film that had a real impact on the lives of actual people. what kind of sane person would make that comparison?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I still can't believe that at the end of the show, where most everyone in the cast has been running around naked and the main character in her underwear, there's this big dramatic transformation sequence that includes a big skirt flare and resulting panty shot. It's like how can you remotely call the show feminist when it's pandering to a male gaze the entire way through?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So does anyone else think the space elevators are being used to build this?

Reconguista in G suspiciously uses the letter G in its title...just like G Gundam. Prequel confirmed!!???

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 11, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Raxivace posted:

So goes anyone else think the space elevators are being used to build this?

Reconguista in G suspiciously uses the letter G in its title...just like G Gundam. Prequel confirmed!!???

I realize you're joking, but it segues into an actual question I had.
The space elevator is just charging those photon batteries, right? It takes them up into the whatever science bologna above the undernut which fills them with energy and then they're sent back down. Or did I completely misunderstand what they were talking about in the first episode.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

I still can't believe that at the end of the show, where most everyone in the cast has been running around naked and the main character in her underwear, there's this big dramatic transformation sequence that includes a big skirt flare and resulting panty shot. It's like how can you remotely call the show feminist when it's pandering to a male gaze the entire way through?

It's pretty complicated to go into in a completely different thread, so we can take it to PMs if you'd like to hear about it.

Budget Cop posted:

you're comparing defending some dumb character in some dumb fictional anime to defending a real life racist organization in a film that had a real impact on the lives of actual people. what kind of sane person would make that comparison?

No, what I was getting at was that whatever in story reasons justify [X] does not excuse [X] from being problamatic.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Broken Loose posted:

your a parody of yourself

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Fereydun posted:

im breaking loose

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Potsticker posted:

I realize you're joking, but it segues into an actual question I had.
The space elevator is just charging those photon batteries, right? It takes them up into the whatever science bologna above the undernut which fills them with energy and then they're sent back down. Or did I completely misunderstand what they were talking about in the first episode.

I think its roughly along those lines, yeah. From what I can gather, its based in the ionosphere where the atmosphere is ionised thanks to solar radiation, and thus carries - through sheer abundance - a great potential source of power, and at the very least, a possible conductor for energy. Nikola Tesla had ideas (to varying degrees of actual functionality) to use the ionosphere as a means of wireless power transmission, with wardenclyffe tower as his proof of concept that never really took off. What the series seems to have is similar to that - the space umbilical cord absorbs energy from the ionised air, shoves it into photon batteries, and then has those carried back down to Earth whenever an elevator is set to go back down. That, or the elevators themselves are equipped with one anyway, hence why attacking an elevator would allow you to steal something intended to help power countries.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the explanation.

And WickedHate I sent you a PM.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Please stop posting in this thread. You have already almost completely ruined it. Just leave. Please.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus christ why does this thread constantly fall into such incredibly stupid arguments, if I can even call them that.

BlitzBlast posted:

Gundam has great designs, excellent toys, and enjoyably silly names.

It also usually has mediocre to poor writing, but eh you can't win them all.

G Gundam is the only good Gundam, fact. I watch this because it has G in its name and I have the vague hope it'll become a second G Gundam down the road. Since Build Fighters Try actually has basically Domon as the main character and shots have already shown that his master is apparently a vague gestalt of every G Gundam character ever, this series is clearly worse, and must pick up the pace if it wants to be a Good Gundam Series (ruined my own alliteration, drat).

I am not being serious.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Spotted in a rewatch, since subtitles gave me an excuse for one:

I know we all fell in love at first sight with Klim, but I also want to see more of this guy:

I just assume his board is slightly off screen. I am unironically enjoying The War That Everyone Is Terrible At.

Edit: ˅˅ Faded in the wash because none of you assholes are taking laundry seriously enough. :argh:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 12, 2014

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

John Carstairs posted:

Spotted in a rewatch, since subtitles gave me an excuse for one:

I know we all fell in love at first sight with Klim, but I also want to see more of this guy:

If only it was a hawaiian shirt then he would be the perfect waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Now I'm totally down with the Social Justice and G-Reco's portrayal of women thus far is absolutely lousy in a distinctly tone-deaf-Tomino sort of way, but at some point you've gotta step back and show some self-awareness. Much of what you've done in the thread is take valid complaints and, through embarrassingly dramatic overreaction, made them easy to mock and ignore.

And I should know, I've got a documented history about overreacting to petty nerd poo poo.

(Re: KLK, at some point I threw my hands up in the air and said "gently caress it." I really can't blame Dick Spacious for continually trolling that thread, holy hell.)

• Locked thread