Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013

quote:

If I see this right, you'd like to place stephenson first in the LHP lineup, put tresher back in the LHP lineup at SS and call up Mohammad Jihad to play first.

That sounds about right, but then again, with Tresher I'm not entirely sure, I'm just basing my decision on what I saw in the spread sheets.

On the draft, my head says Akili but my head says Garang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Is there an option to overpay slot in the first round and make up for it by going below slot in the later rounds like there is in real life? Because if so, I say we lowball the suckers in rounds 2 and beyond and overpay for Sharaf Abdul-Muhaimin, who looks like the second coming of Rey Ordonez. He's already 21, so he'll be only a couple years from the show instead of half a decade like the teenagers. If we can't get him we might as well go with the CF Kalema Galang, who will at least be interesting. The rest, eh.

Nabeel is a decent slap hitter who could put up some .300/.320/.400 seasons, but his defense is bad even at first.

Akili is a low ceiling pitcher.

Fahad is Dave Kingman except with Mike Greenwell power, he's going to struggle to hit his weight and doesn't have enough pop to make up for it.

Harun profiles as a utility infielder, and is at least 4 or 5 seasons from reaching the bigs.

Kakakhel is a potential member of the union of journeyman backup catchers, but you're only allowed into that club after you've turned 30.

Go big. Failing that, go weird.

eta: Also, does the game give us a compensation pick if we fail to sign a player like in real life? This year the Astros failed to come to an agreement with their first round draft pick, the first overall, after a disagreement about his contract and signing bonus. They get the second overall pick in the next draft as compensation. So will we get a mid-round pick if Sharaf don't like it?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 12, 2014

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013

quote:

Also, does the game give us a compensation pick if we fail to sign a player like in real life? This year the Astros failed to come to an agreement with their first round draft pick, the first overall, after a disagreement about his contract and signing bonus. They get the second overall pick in the next draft as compensation. So will we get a mid-round pick if Sharaf don't like it?

As a Stros fan, the memory of this hurts. I wanted Aaron Nola.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: Also, does the game give us a compensation pick if we fail to sign a player like in real life? This year the Astros failed to come to an agreement with their first round draft pick, the first overall, after a disagreement about his contract and signing bonus. They get the second overall pick in the next draft as compensation. So will we get a mid-round pick if Sharaf don't like it?

Yeah this game does compensation picks if we can't sign the first round (and maybe a few others). I honestly need to look up how it works, but if anyone who knows the rules better could explain it, it would probably be explained better than I could.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Let's go with Wamochia Akili, the SP. The Freak hungers for saves, and he can only get them when the pitching staff doesn't gently caress it up beforehand.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah this game does compensation picks if we can't sign the first round (and maybe a few others). I honestly need to look up how it works, but if anyone who knows the rules better could explain it, it would probably be explained better than I could.

Then I fully think we should Rock the Casbah by drafting Abdul-Muhaimin. If he can ever get on base at a .300 clip he'll be a valuable player. Those defensive ratings at the most important defensive position on the diamond are awesome, and it's not like Tresher is making the case that he should be our long term solution. Moreover, he'll be 31, at the end of his contract, and very likely in his decline when Abdul-Muhaimin is 24 and hitting the start of his prime.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Sharaf Abdul-Muhaimin is a no brainer then.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Akili.

Just give him whatever to sign since there won't be any prospects left for us after him. Problem solved. None of the other players are projected to be any good at their position vs guys we've already seen but he could actually be OK as a starter.

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
I might be wrong, but can't potential change based on the accuracy of the scout?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jesterea posted:

I might be wrong, but can't potential change based on the accuracy of the scout?

Potential is a tricky stat. Scouts that "favor tools" will find players with higher potential more often, and rate them higher, since they value them more. The true potential isn't known to us, as there's some fudging based on the skill of our scout.

BUT, even if we knew the real potential, it would still be risky. Some players meet their potential, but many others turn out much worse. Some even exceed potential. It's largely random, though having a good staff helps increase the chances of them developing well.

Generally, the higher their potential, the better they'll be. If a 80 potential guy fails a bit, he might still turn out to be 60, which is great. There's less room for error in 50-60 potential guys, but still some.

I've had a couple 20 potential guys suddenly explode onto the scene and turn into 60+ potential guys, but it's rare. I've also had 70 potential guys get hurt and never make it to the majors.

The ultimate takeaway is that, there's plenty of inaccuracy, and it's partially luck as to whether they'll meet, exceed, or fail to meet expectations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Vote Count :siren:

Wamochia Akili - 3
Sharaf Abdul-Muhaimin - 2

Keep voting for a bit, as it's still close. I'll draft and update when I've got the time.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I'll choose the best way I know how...the best picture from Google Image Search:

Rahman Fahad

Sharaf Abdul-Muhaimin

Adal Harun

Kalema Garang

Jibril Nabeel

Aftab Kakakhel

Without a doubt, I would choose Rahman Fahad, 3B

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

I'll choose the best way I know how...the best picture from Google Image Search:

I approve of this method 100%.

Eagle884
Mar 2, 2014
Muhaimin. Go big or go home.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I like 2B Juan Lopez sight unseen. From those potential numbers he's a slightly below average hitter with OK/good defense at second base, and good speed and baserunning. He'll make a great pinch runner off the bench if he can't crack the starting lineup by learning SS or 3B (if he doesn't have some skill there already).

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Gotta go with Juan Lopez as well. His baserunning is fantastic and his avoid K's and eye potentials aren't the worst. Not gonna be a starter, but he could be serviceable.

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
Good potential bench players, but I feel like we'll need pitching depth more down the road.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

We don't need pitching depth, unless it is relievers. Our starting five are just fine thank you very much.

I do kinda want to see Bolivar Mallen consistently getting on the poo poo list, but never the top spit. Just good enough to be a known quantity.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Current Tally

Wamochia Akili - 3
Sharaf Abdul-Muhaimin - 3
Juan Lopez - 2
Rahman Fahad - 1

Why do you vex me so with ties?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

JosefStalinator posted:

Current Tally

Wamochia Akili - 3
Juan Lopez - 2
Rahman Fahad - 1

Why do you vex me so with ties?

Voting for Juan Lopez because get owned

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Let's make this four way. Only need one other person, who will, like me, vote forRahman Fahad.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Aftab Kakakhel, C

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Hm, gotta go with Rahman Fahad

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Throwing in a vote for Juan Lopez.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since he's currently leading, I figured I'd post Lopez's stats.

I included his defensive stats here because this is the weirdest breakdown I've ever seen. He will NEVER commit an error, and is super reliable, but mostly because he's incapable of throwing the ball more than 15 feet. As such, he probably won't make a good SS or 3B.

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
The limited range and arm make me wary to agree with everyone else. His hitting is below average, his only asset is his base running, and that's not enough to justify drafting him.

Switching my vote from Akili to Rahman Fahad

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Current Tally

Wamochia Akili - 2
Juan Lopez - 4
Rahman Fahad - 4
Aftab Kakhakel - 1

I'll leave it open a bit longer and hope for a tie breaker!

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Keeping my vote where it is because I'm unreasonably optimistic about the kid.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Lopez is the best first baseman we'll ever get, defensively. He'll never drop the ball, he won't have far to roam and he won't ever have to throw the ball.

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
What's the tie breaker?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jesterea posted:

What's the tie breaker?

I'll flip a coin and pick the one I was gonna pick anyway as the tiebreaker.

Eagle884
Mar 2, 2014
If vote switching is allowed, I'll move from Muhaimin to Fahad

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

: Well June is done, and we finished up the month 14-14. This is our worst month yet, but it's nice to say that breaking even is our worst performance all year. Let's see how we look relative to our division:

: Ruh-roh. We are still in first place, but only barely. The good news is that Cairo and Riyadh appear to be mostly falling apart, but Baghdad has crept up to 1/2 a game behind us.

What does 1/2 a game mean? Well, the easiest way to understand it is to look at the fact that Baghdad and Istanbul both have the same number of losses, but we have one more win. By the end of the season we'll have all played 162 games, but Baghdad has played one less than us.

Let's look at our team stats real quick, then we'll get to the news around the league.

Batter Stats

Lineups

Pitcher Stats

Rotation and Bullpen

: We may want to revisit the lineups again at some point, as injuries and callups have necessitated some changes.

: Alright, with June in full swing, let's see how the month develops.

: First off, we called up our top prospectm Mohammad Jihad to cover first base for black. Cover he did - in the two weeks before Black returned, Jihad recorded a .319 average with 2 HR's and a good number of RBI's. His numbers dropped off once he was relegated to the bench, but he's now our number 1 pinch hitter, and should develop well as the season progresses.

: This is a little disappointing - Uemura was doing well as our backup catcher, and hitting well in situations where KKKLIP ART needed some rest. I've called up our AAA backup catcher, but he's not very good, so KKKLIP ART's absences will hurt a bit more than usual.

: Apparently this is considered news? Guess we need to up our players' pay, so that they can attend prestigious Turkish universities.

: Jack Price has pitched our team's first complete game shut out! Even more impressive is the fact that he gave up only 3 hits in the endeavor, along with 3 walks. Price is definitely our best starting pitcher right now, and really serving as a much needed ace.

: Over in the Shiite league, Russian import Ivan Drago is showing that he is very strongk. Damascus is leading its division in no small part due to his performances, and he's now the first player in the league to record a 5 hit game.

: :negative: Our poor bench guys and backups. They just can't catch a break.

The rest of the month went by pretty smoothly, and we reached the first with the beginning of this event:

: It's International Free Agent Signing Time!. The amateur draft is for local boys to be drafted, but the international amateurs are for overseas players to join our league. As with the amateur draft, they're mostly prospects, and I'll highlight them below after we do our awards and whatnot. Budget is more important here, and we'll need to make some decisions in that regard (same with the amateur draft too).

: Speaking of, how did we end up in the draft?

: Well voices, I followed your wishes, and drafted as best I could to grab the guys who clambored for. Fortunately, we were able to draft most of the competing players on the top of your list. Unfortunately, some of them have high or ridiculous demands. I've taken the liberty of offering some of them with more reasonable demands, to see if we can't get the easy guys out of the way.

You can see there that you bastards recommended really difficult to sign players, and as a result, we have to dish out quite a bit of cash to get them all. We've been given a good chunk of money as part of our budget, about 900,000 dollars, but I've tried not to blow it all on one or two players. Some don't show their demands, but in Muhaimin's case, he asked for 75k, meaning I doubled it.

Here's how it stands on July 1st:

: :negative: Well, I blew it on Muhaimin, but I managed to get the rest, including our first pick, for relatively cheap. We do get a compensation pick next year, but that's not really that great. I'll ask in more detail for what to do with the rest, as well as the international free agents, after the awards.

So, without further ado, since the Sunni League did not give any of our boys any awards, time for Pete's picks!

Jack "Golden" Price is the recipient of June's Hustle and Clutch Award for Excellence! Price not only had a great shutout, but he put up a brilliant ERA+ of 263, giving up only 8 earned runs, only 9 walks, and striking out nearly 50 batters in the course of just one month. Pretty much all of his stat line is great, with the sad realization that for all his efforts, the Constantinoples still lost in four of his outings. That's some bad luck.

If he continues to pitch like this, he can really compensate for the failings of our rotation.

Honorable Mentions

Eric "Eager Beaver" Clink, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. A strong argument could be made for him this week, as he put up a 147 OPS+, leading the team in RBI's, batting .350 on the month. Clink has still been our most consistent hitter, and this will show in his stats by the end of the year if he keeps it up.

Speaking of overshadowed players, Friar "Very Reverand" John again pitched a scoreless month, though across only 8 innings. He has yet to give up a run in over 2 months now, and he has made the 8th inning a sure bet for our team. MacGregor better hope he never gets hurt, or he may find his job stolen from him.

Franklin Fink made the list yet again, and nearly got the award, putting up a very impressive 181 OPS+, 1.021 OPS, leading the team with HR's and doubles, and behind only Stevenson with walks. Still one of our strongest hitters - more awards will come his way.

Poor Sai Tor has won the Bad Bet Award, and also now has the distinction of being the first player to win any of my awards twice. He put up a dreadful 7.86 ERA over the month, recording more walks than strikeouts, and culminating in an ERA+ of a measley 50. He risks demotion to fourth starter if this keeps up, as Alby has been slightly better over the year. The bright side? He had a better win-loss rate than Jack Price, going 1-1.

Another month, another Mallen honorable mention. He put up a 6.00 ERA, so at least he's consistently bad. He really needs to improve soon, as he's becoming something of a liability at the end of the rotation.

Cash Considerations made it onto this list only barely, simply because he was the worst performing player among our regular starters. He bat .253 with an OPS+ of 79, but honestly, that wasn't that bad, and Cash should slowly improve with time. His defensive has also improved, as he recorded the fewest errors this month.

Flex Townshend also barely made it onto this list, but as our second starter, his 4.42 ERA on the month isn't good. He was also briefly injured in the month, only staying out for 3 days (and not missing any starts), and a nagging injury may have been the source of a short decline.

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
Glad to see those moves paid off as far as calling up Mo Jihad and having Thresher as the full time shortstop. The state of our rotation is unfortunate, but luckily, we've had more than enough offense to compensate.

Really surprised that we were able to draft the three guys (barring Juan) that we more or less wanted. It's unfortunate about Muhaimin, but what are you going to do? Hopefully Akili signs, might make for a strong 5th man later down the line.

Holy poo poo our bullpen is good.

Thank god for this thread, it's helping me make it through mid-terms.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Goon Decision Time :siren:

Alright goons, Pete needs help. We have a few things to go over.

First, the remainder of the amateur draft. Just so you are aware, the amateur draft is a yearly event that will serve to bring new players into the league, and will be a good source of prospects for bad teams and replacement players as our guys retire. Now, this year it's not as important because of the inaugural draft, but over the following years it will be important.

The amateur draft is staffed by a combination of High School and College kids, some of whom will sign easily, some of whom may want to continue with their education.

This is how our situation stands. There are three guys, each with the following demands, with their position and overall/potential ratings:

Akili, SP 20/48 - $400,000
Tawab Ka'im, C 21/42 - $260,000
Vargas, SS 20/22 - $260,000

Our remaining budget for the draft is $740,000. For Tawab and Vargas, we only get one shot - if they don't accept our first offer, which will need to be significantly more than their asking price, they're gonna go back to school. Akili might give us more than one shot, but he still needs to be impressed.

We don't need to use all of our budget, and any surplus can go to signing free agents or international players. I would recommend against signing Vargas, simply because he's not that good. You guys need to decide the other two.

Which brings us to another set of decisions: the International Draft. This is the same as the amateur draft, except that the players are from outside the Middle East. They aren't concerned about their education, but we also don't have exclusive rights to them, so we need to outbid other teams for them.

Our budget for the international free agents is $500,000, plus whatever we save on the amateur draft.

Here's what our scout sees in the intl pool:

Ugh, not much. Only one okay guy, but his starting demand is super low (25k) and probably worth pursuing. But why are the numbers so weird? Lets look at the default ratings generated by OOTP (basically noob ratings if you had no scout):

Notice how the demands match up better with skill? Having a good scout lets us see that the top guys are probably overrated, and only one guy is worth going after aggressively. Here's what the one Japanese prospect Watanabe has, stat wise:

Not great, but has an upside probably worth at least 25k.

:siren: Voting Time :siren:

So here's how it all lays out. In the amateur draft, we have a budget of $740,000. Vote yes or no to to make an attempt to meet and exceed the following players' demands:

Akili, SP 20/48 - $400,000, we can try multiple times
Tawab Ka'im, C 21/42 - $260,000, 1 chance
Vargas, SS 20/22 - $260,000, 1 chance

and vote yes/no to aggressively pursuing the following players. Our total free agent budget is approximately $500,000, so they seem cheap, but keep in mind that we will likely have to go higher on their asking prices as others bid too, especially if other scouts see potential in them:

Watanabe, RF 20/52 - Starting price 25,000, will go up with other bidders competing
Takafumi Harada, SP 20/25 - Starting price 85,000

I only put Harada on here because the OOTP default scouting really likes him, and if you feel like taking a risk, we could see if our scout is wrong and he turns out better. Only do so if you want to use a lot of our budget for this purpose, as other teams are going to bid him higher as well.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 13, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's what an example vote might look like:

Akili, SP - yes
Ka'im, C - yes
Vargas, SS - no

Watanabe, RF - yes
Harada, SP - no

This would be saying you want me to offer Akili and Kai'm contracts, but not Vargas. I would also aggressively bid on Watanabe, but not Harada, according to this vote.

Sorry for making it so complicated. This is the last draft related thing for the year - after this we should have smooth sailing for some time.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 13, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Akili, SP - yes
Ka'im, C - no
Vargas, SS - no

Watanabe, RF - yes
Harada, SP - yes

Pitching! Can't get saves with pitchers throwing a ~8 ERA. Also, holy poo poo, our bullpen is on fire.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

Akili, SP - yes
Ka'im, C - no
Vargas, SS - no

Watanabe, RF - yes
Harada, SP - yes

Pitching! Can't get saves with pitchers throwing a ~8 ERA. Also, holy poo poo, our bullpen is on fire.

The bullpen is really loving strong. The highest ERA is 3.00, and while some pitcher shave pretty low innings pitched (meaning they haven't played a lot and may just be doing well in a small sample), we're three months in and most of them are still doing well.

It won't last forever, but the bullpen is definitely securing wins. We just need our starters to stop blowing it early first.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Akili, SP - yes
Ka'im, C - no
Vargas, SS - no

Watanabe, RF - yes
Harada, SP - yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013