Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Is this the first competitive UB control since the Tezzeret deck during Zen-Scars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Is this the first competitive UB control since the Tezzeret deck during Zen-Scars?

There was a Drownyard deck at one point. I'm pretty sure it was straight blue-black for a while before everyone caught on that it was actually terrible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

There was a Drownyard deck at one point. I'm pretty sure it was straight blue-black for a while before everyone caught on that it was actually terrible.

That deck was great, it would just calmly let you rev for 7 and not even care as it slowly ground you out with drownyards. Unloseable matchup against other control decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Always feels good to be rewarded by drafting all morph creatures by getting a pack 3 Ghostfire Blade. I have never spend so many turns at 1-2 life before finally recovering in all these games.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I don't usually like control decks, but that UB deck looks nice and straightforward.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Regional PTQ locations for the first season they're up are also out. Date is 25th of April:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptktk/regional-ptq-locations-and-promo-card-revealed-2014-10-11

They're pretty much as expected for Europe. UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany have their own, Prague has one in Eastern Europe, Stockholm one in Scandinavian region, and St. Petersburg one in Russia.

Stockholm and St. Petersburg ain't worst to reach from Finland.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cheetah7071 posted:

That deck was great, it would just calmly let you rev for 7 and not even care as it slowly ground you out with drownyards. Unloseable matchup against other control decks.

You could keep a seven land hand with a Drownyard and be so far ahead, and also be immune to Duress!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Holy crap, New England got screwed hard. Seriously, I have to drive to Catskill???

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lets Pickle posted:

New rares in multiple decks in the top 8:
12 Mantis Rider
12 Siege Rhino
11 Dig Through Time
8 Wingmate Roc
7 Sorin
7 End Hostilities
5 Sarkhan
5 Anafenza

I like how there are more Sorin being played than Sarkhan. Wingmate Roc is an interesting multiple of, but I think even minor swarm with anything over 3 toughness is going to be a boon for any deck moving forward.

Overall, the amount of variety is fantastic. Sure, there is lots of Jeskai, but they're all wildly different than one another, I would be surprised if the deck settles into a standard form before Fate Reforged is released.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lunsku posted:

Regional PTQ locations for the first season they're up are also out. Date is 25th of April:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptktk/regional-ptq-locations-and-promo-card-revealed-2014-10-11

They're pretty much as expected for Europe. UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany have their own, Prague has one in Eastern Europe, Stockholm one in Scandinavian region, and St. Petersburg one in Russia.

Stockholm and St. Petersburg ain't worst to reach from Finland.

I was pleased to see in london on the list i thought it may only be on the continent.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Can we Theory: The Gathering the Jeskai vs. Abzan midrange matchup? It feels like Abzan should have the edge with all that life gain (sorin, roc, rhino), but I have a hard time thinking all those Jeskai decks just dodged the matchup into the top 8.

Also, Midwest doing well with PTQs. Chicago and KC Kansas? Our cup runneth over. Not that it matters, I probably won't qualify. :shobon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have no problem if these clan names are being used for standard decks because they are quite useful that way. However, I am afraid of change and speaking/typing extra letters so I will continue to call them RUG/BUG/junk/maybe Mardu or newspaper for legacy and modern. :ohdear:

Also it's Dutch/French control, not american :) it has less letters and is superior!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

I have no problem if these clan names are being used for standard decks because they are quite useful that way. However, I am afraid of change and speaking/typing extra letters so I will continue to call them RUG/BUG/junk/maybe Mardu or newspaper for legacy and modern. :ohdear:

Also it's Dutch/French control, not american :) it has less letters and is superior!

Um excuse me it is pronounced "Dega".

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Um excuse me it is pronounced "Dega".

Dega'ing your own grave with comments like that. :colbert:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I did terribly at Washington States yesterday, but I am still really excited for Standard. WHAT?

I played against 4 different decks (well one was a mirror), while running Abzan. There's so many ways to make the deck, and it makes me stoked to find the right combo that fits what I want to do and still have fun.

Lots of silly things happening in Standard now, and it's pretty fun, especially when this is a smaller set format right now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

En Fuego posted:

I did terribly at Washington States yesterday, but I am still really excited for Standard. WHAT?

I played against 4 different decks (well one was a mirror), while running Abzan. There's so many ways to make the deck, and it makes me stoked to find the right combo that fits what I want to do and still have fun.

Lots of silly things happening in Standard now, and it's pretty fun, especially when this is a smaller set format right now.

I agree. I may not care for many of the decks out there yet, but on MTGO I think I've only seen two or three duplicates all weekend. Contrast this with a year ago when all you would see right now is mono black and mono blue, all identical card for card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

New rares in multiple decks in the top 8:
12 Mantis Rider
12 Siege Rhino
11 Dig Through Time
8 Wingmate Roc
7 Sorin
7 End Hostilities
5 Sarkhan
5 Anafenza

I remember when people told me Wingmate Roc sucks for being "too conditional" and that buying a playset at $4 each was not a particularly good investment.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Angry Grimace posted:

I remember when people told me Wingmate Roc sucks for being "too conditional" and that buying a playset at $4 each was not a particularly good investment.
I didn't buy them at $4 each because of other investments but I wish I had. Are most of the people at your LGS poor with card evaluation? I mean it's two dudes, and the ability of the main roc is upside.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Contrast this with a year ago when all you would see right now is mono black and mono blue, all identical card for card.

I disagree. There was pretty good variety a year ago, too; it took a while for the top archetypes to cement themselves at the top, and it took a while after that for people to realize just how much of a disadvantage they were at if they weren't playing one of them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neetengie posted:

I didn't buy them at $4 each because of other investments but I wish I had. Are most of the people at your LGS poor with card evaluation? I mean it's two dudes, and the ability of the main roc is upside.

I think people looked at it, and compared its upsides and downsides, and thought it downsides were greater.

Upsides 2 3/4's for 5cmc + gain life
Downsides: No gurantee you get 2 creatures. A 3/4 for 5cmc is bad. It also is outclassed by one of standards premium fliers, Stormbreath Dragon.

The part where people are "bad at card evaluation" isn't the card itself a lot of the time, it is the context.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The UB control is weird as heck because it's so incredibly unsexy, unflashy, and not visibly powerful. I know we're coming off two years of Verdict/Revelation that are coloring that impression but yeah. Not even any walkers. Nothing about it says to me "you can't compete with me in the late game" like I expect from control.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
All the excitement of getting back into type 2 and a super cool new standard environment led to me abandoning my better judgment and playing the pack lottery, since I own a grand total of 75 MtG cards now. (Sub-Sligh, woo!)

Bought 5 packs from the checkout line at Target:

:shepspends: Maybe... maybe just a couple more...

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The UB control is weird as heck because it's so incredibly unsexy, unflashy, and not visibly powerful. I know we're coming off two years of Verdict/Revelation that are coloring that impression but yeah. Not even any walkers. Nothing about it says to me "you can't compete with me in the late game" like I expect from control.

It first blush, yeah. It looks like it has Despise and Thoughtseize for early game hand removal, late gate Disdain and Dissolves for Mid. Resolve a Sphinx and never let it die, I guess.

I want to know what the heck Pearl Lake Ancient comes in against?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

jassi007 posted:

I think people looked at it, and compared its upsides and downsides, and thought it downsides were greater.

Downsides: No gurantee you get 2 creatures. A 3/4 for 5cmc is bad. It also is outclassed by one of standards premium fliers, Stormbreath Dragon.

The part where people are "bad at card evaluation" isn't the card itself a lot of the time, it is the context.
Yeah, that's true. Still, a smaller Broodmate Dragon is neat.

stinkles1112 posted:

All the excitement of getting back into type 2 and a super cool new standard environment led to me abandoning my better judgment and playing the pack lottery, since I own a grand total of 75 MtG cards now. (Sub-Sligh, woo!)

Bought 5 packs from the checkout line at Target:

:shepspends: Maybe... maybe just a couple more...
Go for the gold, go for the foil Dig.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think that's because we're still underrating Dig Through Time. It's just absurd power for a control deck; Revelation would draw you more cards, but Dig will draw you exactly what you need, more cheaply. It is, in fact, a sexy card.

Deckit posted:

It first blush, yeah. It looks like it has Despise and Thoughtseize for early game hand removal, late gate Disdain and Dissolves for Mid. Resolve a Sphinx and never let it die, I guess.

It's just the basic finisher. Nothing else really works because they all die to Vault.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Deckit posted:

I mean I get how it works, yeah. You're just one-for-oneing everything and going up on cards with Dig and virtual card advantage by drawing more live with the Prog Sphinx scrying and your threats are exceptionally hard to kill if the opponent is living off the top of the deck. It just doesn't have the awe-inspiring decisive power I would expect, and you can see it when Owen took the initiative in his last game but was unable to do anything about burn.

Basically if a control deck doesn't make me feel like a movie villain I'm not sure it's where I want to be.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 12, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean I get how it works, yeah. You're just one-for-oneing everything and going up on cards with Dig and virtual card advantage by drawing more live with the Prog Sphinx scrying and your threats are exceptionally hard to kill if the opponent is living off the top of the deck. It just doesn't have the awe-inspiring decisive power I would expect, and you can see it when Owen took the initiative in his last game but was unable to do anything about burn.

Basically if a control deck doesn't make me feel like a movie villain I'm not sure it's where I want to be.

burn has always had a great control matchup

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think that's because we're still underrating Dig Through Time. It's just absurd power for a control deck; Revelation would draw you more cards, but Dig will draw you exactly what you need, more cheaply. It is, in fact, a sexy card.

It's just the basic finisher. Nothing else really works because they all die to Vault.

Ah, right right. That makes sense. Awesome. Go Pearl Lake Ancient! :black101:

Edit:

Is there anything that actually has a good matchup vs Jeskai Wins right now?

Deckit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 12, 2014

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

jassi007 posted:

I honestly still don't like it. It's probably the right card for the deck right now but if I buy any I'll be looking to get rid of them before the next set comes out.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

NovemberMike posted:

I honestly still don't like it. It's probably the right card for the deck right now but if I buy any I'll be looking to get rid of them before the next set comes out.

I do not either. Despite the fact that Gruul Monsters didn't really show well at the PT that is what I'm playing. My stormbreath will happily be eating Wingmate Roc all standard (if they don't downfall him!)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Deckit posted:

Ah, right right. That makes sense. Awesome. Go Pearl Lake Ancient! :black101:

Edit:

Is there anything that actually has a good matchup vs Jeskai Wins right now?

devotion, probably. especially post board when they bring in Disciples

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't get that control deck. I built it, and it's just a lot of sitting there doing absolutely nothing. If you pull an answer to all their cards then you win, but as soon as you miss one you're basically hosed. There's really no nuance or choice to the deck and it's boring to play. Also I don't get the amount of taplands, they just make it feel even more sluggish.

I've been playing a UB control that uses Ashiok and having better luck with it and a lot more fun. It makes it really easy to steal and cast anything from Jeskai and the only way for them to get rid of him is to use up their burn kill spells.

E: Cards that basically never do enough work but I'm not sure what to replace them with: Bile Blight and Silence the Believers.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I don't get that control deck. I built it, and it's just a lot of sitting there doing absolutely nothing. If you pull an answer to all their cards then you win, but as soon as you miss one you're basically hosed. There's really no nuance or choice to the deck and it's boring to play. Also I don't get the amount of taplands, they just make it feel even more sluggish.

I've been playing a UB control that uses Ashiok and having better luck with it and a lot more fun. It makes it really easy to steal and cast anything from Jeskai and the only way for them to get rid of him is to use up their burn kill spells.

E: Cards that basically never do enough work but I'm not sure what to replace them with: Bile Blight and Silence the Believers.

It's not at all a stretch for that U/B list to see 15 cards in 2 turns (and keep 3-5 of them). That's a crazy amount of filtering, and ensures that you win the game the moment your opponent runs out of steam. It's also being piloted by Control Genius (and reigning Pro Tour Champion) Ivan Floch, so in this case the player behind it might be just as important.

Also, Bile Blight kills Mantis Riders & Silence the Believers can easily kill 2 creatures in a deck that can cast Pearl Lake Ancient.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Floch even admitted yesterday that it's probably not the no. 1 deck right now, but it's the type he enjoys the most.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

The lack of Ashiok really surprised me, I'd think he would make some kind of appearance as another useful, hard to burn threat.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

The lack of Ashiok really surprised me, I'd think he would make some kind of appearance as another useful, hard to burn threat.

Eh, the U/B deck seems predicated on making your deck have lots of blanks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Niton posted:

It's not at all a stretch for that U/B list to see 15 cards in 2 turns (and keep 3-5 of them). That's a crazy amount of filtering, and ensures that you win the game the moment your opponent runs out of steam. It's also being piloted by Control Genius (and reigning Pro Tour Champion) Ivan Floch, so in this case the player behind it might be just as important.

Also, Bile Blight kills Mantis Riders & Silence the Believers can easily kill 2 creatures in a deck that can cast Pearl Lake Ancient.

I understand the purpose of the cards in theory, but playing on MTGO they just aren't doing a ton. I mean I know I'm a poo poo player compared to him, but it's not hard to see if there's a creature and if you have a spell to kill it. Dig is getting played like turn four minimum, which by then Jeskai has poo poo out all of their creatures and if you are relying on it to pull you answers that you don't already have then you're pretty much dead. Filtering 15 cards in two turns is meaningless if the meta wins most games before the turn you're able to do that. The decks only early game is "draw the exact cards you need or die" and I don't know if there's a card that can make up for that yet. All of the early game draw/filter is pretty lovely right now.

I don't know. I think the deck has potential, but I think it's missing pieces. It's obviously not THE top deck, but I don't think UB has been since Fae.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Throw Ari Lax into a volcano so I don't have to see his face again.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
How can the production value of the pro tour consistently stay so low? Currently getting players to describe their sideboards between match 1 and 2, but the audio is still on the booth. Come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hahaha

• Locked thread