Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

In Japan news:
[*] Yo-kai Watch 2 will have a third, standalone improved version -- gotta milk 'em all
[/list]

The last time Level 5 made a third installment was for Inazuma Eleven 3 and they did it to coincide with the movie they just put out for the anime, so the game followed the plot of the movie. Since there's a Yo-kai Watch movie coming out around Christmas I'm assuming that's their aim this time around as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't help but wonder if Level-5 isn't gonna burn this thing out before too long. Strike while the iron's hot, yada yada, but even Pokemon paced itself more in the beginning.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What're some decent RPG's/Dungeon Crawlers on the 3DS? Thinking stuff like Final Fantasy where you can pick what classes your party is. I know there's some FF games in the shop, but some stuff from this millennium would be cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't help but wonder if Level-5 isn't gonna burn this thing out before too long. Strike while the iron's hot, yada yada, but even Pokemon paced itself more in the beginning.

That is pretty much what Level 5 does. They don't really have much interest in long-term franchises it seems. Layton is the closest I can think of and even that's been milked crazy-hard.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Robo Reagan posted:

What're some decent RPG's/Dungeon Crawlers on the 3DS? Thinking stuff like Final Fantasy where you can pick what classes your party is. I know there's some FF games in the shop, but some stuff from this millennium would be cool.

Depending on your region, there's SMT IV, Etrian Odyessy (2 of them), and also Rune Factory 4, if you're in NA.

If you're in Europe, you have Etrian Odyessy and Fantasy Life as well. NA isn't getting Fantasy Life for another 2 weeks.

If you like Final Fantasy, definitely get Bravely Default. It's the best drat Final Fantasy in at least a decade (and it isn't even called Final Fantasy!).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cue a multi-page discussion on the second half of Bravely Default.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't, just need names!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Robo Reagan posted:

Silver Falcon posted:

Depending on your region, there's SMT IV, Etrian Odyessy (2 of them), and also Rune Factory 4, if you're in NA.

If you're in Europe, you have Etrian Odyessy and Fantasy Life as well. NA isn't getting Fantasy Life for another 2 weeks.

If you like Final Fantasy, definitely get Bravely Default. It's the best drat Final Fantasy in at least a decade (and it isn't even called Final Fantasy!).

I am going to vouch for Bravely Default: It's got a great job system that has a fair bit of depth that allows you to break the game at later levels. The ability to take turns in advance or build up extra turns through the Brave/Default system adds a unique dynamic.

Etrian Odyssey is your classic, old school, first-person dungeon crawler with the ability to create a party from scratch. Your characters are voiceless, so you can fill in whatever background you want in your mind. You even get to draw your own maps! EOIV is good, but I'll admit I got bored of it around the second main dungeon. The second one Silver Falcon mentioned is likely Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is a remake of EO1 but it adds a story-mode with pre-made characters that have dialog and personality. I've never played it.

Fantasy Life is an action RPG with a job system, but the gimmick is that not all your jobs are combat jobs. More than half are non-combat in fact, based on gathering resources like wood and ore, or being a crafter like a tailor or carpenter. There's an home purchasing and customizing element that's not as deep as Animal Crossing, but it's something else to do. The game is really grindy, but if you're an RPG person you're probably used to that.

No comment on SMTIV or Rune Factory 4, as I haven't had a chance to play those.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 13, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fantasy Life looks pretty sweet. I don't mind grindy on a handheld and I'm a fan of games where you can make your own stuff. Guess I'll wait for that to release and in the meantime grab a $5 Final Fantasy off the store.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'll throw in for SMT IV. You use demons to fight other demons, poo poo is good. Also a little challenging until you get into the swing of the battle system and demon fusing.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Tamayachi posted:

I got my girlfriend Disney Magical World when it was first released and she still plays it even now. She's almost at 100%, with just one last sticker to go that's a bit of a grind, but other than that she loves it. She's a huge Disney fan, but doesn't really play games beyond Solitaire so it was nice to see her really get into it. Her only real gripes was the lack of Little Mermaid, I think it was just one outfit, and the RNG for one of the Stickers.

How would Magical World be for a six year old who loves Disney and is reading basically as well as a six year old should read? I'm buying my daughter a 2ds (eighty bucks refurbed from Nintendo is a pretty great deal) so she stops stealing my 3ds for smash and was thinking of maybe grabbing that for her too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yo guy that was gonna do a thread on the Disney game, please do a thread on it to sell me on the game. Cause I love Disney

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

Yo guy that was gonna do a thread on the Disney game, please do a thread on it to sell me on the game. Cause I love Disney

Yeah a general Disney thread would be perfect right now, with both this and the Tron 2.0 re-release. Plus it would be nice to talk about the classic Capcom platformer somewhere.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everyone wants to hear about the Disney Animal Crossing Rune FActory game

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Broand posted:

I'm pretty excited about Rune Factory 4 coming to EU. I hope the price is cheap like for SMT4 though. It's been a long time coming.

You and me both, RF4 is one of the reasons I got a 3ds in the first place. Its pretty surprising EU is getting it a year or so after they announced it was cancelled but Im not complaining.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SMTIV, like every other mainline SMT game, is really loving good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No big retail releases this week, so I'll take this opportunity to make a PSA: there's a Legend of Korra game coming to 3DS in a week or so but it was not made by Platinum and has nothing to do with the console game, it's a SRPG by the people who brought you Homie Rollerz DS, don't waste your cash.

PAL-land is getting Adventures of Lolo (NES) on the VC this week, as well as Donkey Kong Land, the almost playable Game Boy companion title to DKC. NA is getting Harvest Moon 2 (GBC) this week, among other things.

NOE is doing a Donkey Kong promo over the next few weeks: if you buy Donkey Kong Land 1, 2 or 3 you'll be able to get DKCR3 for 1/3 off! Ends November 6.

One more PAL promo for prospective new 3DS owners: register a new 3DS/XL/2DS and either Smash 3DS or Pokemon X/Y with Club Nintendo, get a free digital game! Choices include Kirby Triple Deluxe, Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Mario Golf, Mario Party, Monster Hunter, Pokemon Art Academy and Yoshi's New Island. Details here.

quote:

3DS
    Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - out now! (everywhere)
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 - out now! (NA) / "late October" (PAL, eShop-only)
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - out now! (everywhere)
    Disney Magical World = out now! (NA) / October 24 (PAL)
    Pokemon Art Academy - out now! (PAL) / October 24 (NA)
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - out now! (everywhere*)
    Fantasy Life - out now! (PAL) / October 24 (NA)
    Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley - November 4 (NA) / "early 2015" (PAL)
    Ultimate NES Remix - November 7 (PAL) / December 5 (NA)
    Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal - November 11 (NA) / November 21 (PAL))
    Pokemon Alpha Ruby / Omega Sapphire - November 21 (everywhere but EU/Canada) / November 28 (EU/Canada)
    Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom - November 18 (NA/PAL)
    Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - November 25 (NA) / November 28 (PAL)
    Story of Seasons - "winter 2014" (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - "early 2015" (NA/PAL)
    Fossil Fighters: Frontier - "2015" (NA/PAL)
    Codename S.T.E.A.M. - "2015" (NA/PAL)
    Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - "2015" (NA) / TBC (PAL)

*demo available
3DS eSHOP SOFTWARE
    KORG DSN-12 - out now! (PAL) / "very soon" (NA)
    Shovel Knight - out now! (NA) / "October" (PAL)
    Steel Empire - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - October 23 (NA) / "Q4 2014" (PAL)
    Azure Striker Gunvolt - out now! (NA) / "November" (PAL)
    The Keep - out now! (everywhere)
    Kirby Fighters Deluxe - out now! (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Dedede Drum Dash Deluxe - out now! (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Woah Dave! - "October" (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - December 9 (NA) / December 11 (PAL)
    Xeodrifter - "Q4 2014" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Gunman Clive 2 - "Q4 2014" (NA/PAL)
    Treasurenauts - "Q4 2014" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    A-Train: City Simulator - "2014" (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    SteamWorld Heist - "spring 2015" (NA/PAL)
    Mighty Number 9 - "Q2 2015" (NA/PAL)
    SmileBASIC - "2015" (NA/PAL)
    Protect Me Knight - "2015" (NA/PAL)
    Flipnote 3D - who the gently caress knows (PAL/NA)

*demo available
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Harvest Moon 2 (GBC) - October 16 (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Adventures of Lolo (NES) - October 16 (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Donkey Kong Land (GB) - October 16 (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB) - October 23 (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Donkey Kong Land III (GB) - October 30 (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GBC) - out now! (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Donkey Kong Original Edition (NES) - out now! (PAL) / TBA (NA)
    Legend of the River King 2 (GBC) - out now! (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Street Fighter 2010 (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Lufia: The Legend Returns (GBC) - "November" (NA) / TBA (PAL)
    Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES) - out now! (PAL) / "2014" (NA)
    Mighty Final Fight (NES) - out now! (PAL) / "2014" (NA)
    The Mysterious Murasame Castle (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Xtreme Sports (GBC) - out now! (everywhere)
    Blaster Master (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Mario Golf (GBC) - out now! (everywhere)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pomp posted:

SMTIV, like every other mainline SMT game, is really loving good.

I wouldn't go that far, it's fun and I like it but you're not really missing anything if you skip it. It's a little by the numbers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saoshyant posted:

In Japan news:
  • Nu3DS owners have found Smash to load much faster,

I'm not surprised, the game is meant to take advantage of the new hardware.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Does that mean initial bootup only, or does that include in-game loading times?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Probably initial boot-up, which is noticeably long, in game the loading is incredibly quick.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I wouldn't mind faster post-match loading though, there is a noticable delay there compared to Melee or Brawl off a HDD.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does that mean initial bootup only, or does that include in-game loading times?

Initial bootup is the biggest difference, but if you are familiar with the game, I say you can see that some in-game loading is also faster. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1e9vmtryo

This is still not a reason to buy the Nu3DS, nerds. Wait for the exclusives.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well yes, obviously, but that kinda stuff is interesting to me. I assume people also tried other games and found zero differences there?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

In Japan news:
  • A Terra Formars game will come out in Spring 2015. Probably will be terrible

Please do not say such things about the cool racist bug fact series.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Saoshyant posted:

Nope sorry you sold me on a N3DS. Your plan has backfired

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i liked SMTIV how is devil survivor overclocked?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

It's real good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saoshyant posted:

Why wait? Is the price dropping by the time exclusives start to release?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

It's... Different. It's a SRPG that uses a modified form of the SMT battle system. Instead of the press turn system it uses something called "extra turns" which is increases by attacking first and hitting weaknesses. Personally I really like it and would suggest you watch some gameplay videos to see what it's all about.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Sire Oblivion posted:

Because there might be very few exclusives or you might think they're poo poo?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Frankly, if it's true that the new models cost the same as the current ones and you're still using a regular 3DS there's no reason not to upgrade to the new XL. The exclusives on the latest version of Nintendo handhelds have literally never been worth buying the system for on their own, this isn't new ground we're breaking here.

littleorv posted:

It's... Different. It's a SRPG that uses a modified form of the SMT battle system. Instead of the press turn system it uses something called "extra turns" which is increases by attacking first and hitting weaknesses. Personally I really like it and would suggest you watch some gameplay videos to see what it's all about.

It's kinda like someone took the movement and turn order systems from SRPGs like FFT and replaced the combat with the systems from SMT. As a big fan of both of those two, I very much did not like that game. Your mileage may vary.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Saoshyant posted:

Initial bootup is the biggest difference, but if you are familiar with the game, I say you can see that some in-game loading is also faster. See:

I got a good giggle out of him smacking the location where Start used to be.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Monster Hunter 4 is getting more and more cross-overs. This time, Megaman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpAh38n-V8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shelf Adventure posted:

Monster Hunter 4 is getting more and more cross-overs. This time, Megaman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpAh38n-V8

That's not Mega Man, that's a Samurai Pizza Cat :colbert:.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
It's a new robot master; Samurai pizza cat-man

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sire Oblivion posted:

...yes? When do you ever pay full price for hardware unless you're buying it at release?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Feels like Capcom really wants me to buy Monster Hunter 4.

I didn't care all that much for Tri, but then it dawned on me that I bought that game three times! Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.

Maybe I'll beat at least one version of it before 4 hits.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I feel like there used to be a thread on creative applications like Colors 3D or KORG DSN-12. Was there or am I just crazy? Would there be enough demand for one? I'd love to discuss it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There was one like two years ago, but it wasn't that popular and eventually fell into the archives.

• Locked thread