Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

Hmmm so I wouldn't be a fool to just get a Hawell-E now instead of waiting? Do we have any idea when skylake is out?

Might be a fool for getting haswell-e since the performance for gaming isn't justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

r0ck0 posted:

Might be a fool for getting haswell-e since the performance for gaming isn't justified.

What do you mean? Its more power than I need? I do more than gaming by the way, I am a developer and I also do renderings in my spare time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

What do you mean? Its more power than I need? I do more than gaming by the way, I am a developer and I also do renderings in my spare time.

He is saying that current games are not multithreaded past 2 or 3 threads. A 6 or 8 core chip clocked at 3.4Ghz will not perform as well as a 4 core 4.0Ghz chip in most games.

Personally, I expect this to change in the next couple years since the Xbone and PS4 are both 8 core systems. Console to PC ports will probably start having higher thread counts. But, by the time that matters at all, you could probably upgrade again anyways. Probably be better building a nice devil's canyon based system now and upgrading to a Skylake-E or what ever 2 years for now.

Your rendering would probably make good use of the extra cores, though.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Lowen SoDium posted:

He is saying that current games are not multithreaded past 2 or 3 threads. A 6 or 8 core chip clocked at 3.4Ghz will not perform as well as a 4 core 4.0Ghz chip in most games.

Personally, I expect this to change in the next couple years since the Xbone and PS4 are both 8 core systems. Console to PC ports will probably start having higher thread counts. But, by the time that matters at all, you could probably upgrade again anyways. Probably be better building a nice devil's canyon based system now and upgrading to a Skylake-E or what ever 2 years for now.

The consoles might have more cores but they don't do any good. Might help the PCs more by making them more optimized for multiple cores.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/86585/assassins-creed-unity-will-not-reach-1080p60fps-on-consoles

quote:

"Technically we're CPU-bound," he said. "The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it's the CPU [that] has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realized it was going to be pretty hard.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lowen SoDium posted:

So what is the best 4 core chip intel is offering currently?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

So what is the best 4 core chip intel is offering currently?

i7-4790k

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Bestest-y-estest is the Core i7-4790K, but only because of high stock clocks and hyperthreading. If you overclocked and didn't need hyperthreading, a lightly juiced i5-4690K would be as good 99.9% of the time (the 0.1% being the difference in L3 cache and mostly restricted to financial or scientific apps).

Rendering will see a healthy boost from hyperthreading, though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Knifegrab posted:

Hmmm so I wouldn't be a fool to just get a Hawell-E now instead of waiting? Do we have any idea when skylake is out?

Broadwell was delayed by over a year, so I sincerely sincerely doubt that Skylake is going to release 4-6 months after Broadwell-K hits the market. Cannonlake arriving ever is questionable given the struggles Intel is having with the node.

The wise man who needs to upgrade will buy a Broadwell chip next year and ride LGA1150 into the sunset, while waiting for DDR4 prices to drop considerably. Overclock a $60 Pentium anniversary chip in the interim if you don't need the multicore performance immediately but want the side benefits of Z97 now.

This won't have the longevity that a Nahalem / Sandy Bridge system did, because things are going to get really weird in hardware within five years, but it's the safest bet at the moment.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lowen SoDium posted:

Personally, I expect this to change in the next couple years since the Xbone and PS4 are both 8 core systems. Console to PC ports will probably start having higher thread counts.

Eh. Mainstream i7 already has eight threads thanks to hyperthreading, and the console cores are AMD's Jaguar. Jaguar is more or less AMD's Atom competitor, and while Jaguar's good at that it's not in the same league as an i7 core, or even half of an i7 core which is using hyperthreading. So you're going to see a performance advantage without even needing to resort to the bigger expensive hex-core EP series i7s.

That's assuming game developers find good ways to make use of eight Jaguar cores. It's definitely one of those easier said than done things. Also, I seem to remember that Microsoft reserves three cores exclusively for the OS; the system's resources are partitioned by virtualization so that the console's background services can always be running without impacting foreground gameplay.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

r0ck0 posted:

The consoles might have more cores but they don't do any good. Might help the PCs more by making them more optimized for multiple cores.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/86585/assassins-creed-unity-will-not-reach-1080p60fps-on-consoles

The console CPUs currently are not being utilized as well as they could be. AMD's Jaguar is pretty low performance, so developers have little choice but to multi-thread as much of their workload as they can to get as much performance out of the consoles as they can. I think we can expect to see some of this work show up on PC ports eventually.

I know I probably sound like I am saying "Just multithread your games, developers, shesh!" but I really do understand the complexities and non-linear performance gains that multithreading brings. But I really do think that some developers will come up with ways that use nearly all of the CPU resources available to them in order to make the prettiest or best performing games they can on the new consoles. It will probably be a while, though. And chances are equally good those games may never get a PC port.

BobHoward posted:

Eh. Mainstream i7 already has eight threads thanks to hyperthreading, and the console cores are AMD's Jaguar. Jaguar is more or less AMD's Atom competitor, and while Jaguar's good at that it's not in the same league as an i7 core, or even half of an i7 core which is using hyperthreading. So you're going to see a performance advantage without even needing to resort to the bigger expensive hex-core EP series i7s.

I always forget about hyperthreading because it's performance gains are not very high. But you are probably right that Haswell cpus are so much faster in clock speed and in clock-for-clock performance compared to Jaguar, that a 5 or 6 thread application would probably still run faster on a 4 core Haswell chip.

BobHoward posted:

That's assuming game developers find good ways to make use of eight Jaguar cores. It's definitely one of those easier said than done things. Also, I seem to remember that Microsoft reserves three cores exclusively for the OS; the system's resources are partitioned by virtualization so that the console's background services can always be running without impacting foreground gameplay.

Yeah, I have read that too, though I don't remember it being 3 cores. I was thinking it was 2.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
IIRC both the XB1 and PS4 do reserve two cores.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I understand what you mean when you use this word, but you're the only person I've even seen use in in 15+ years of following this stuff (it doesn't really show up in ggogle either). Where is this term come from?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'm pretty sure I neologized it because I was sick of typing "at the same clock speed" and "at the same voltage" in the overclocking thread.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
A reasonable set of terms could just be isochronous and isopotent / equipotent :shrug:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Equipotent sounds like the name of a boner drug.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: Boner Pills Inside

I don't see the issue, we all knew what he meant :)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Any good resources on dealing with/optimizing for NUMA? Especially when moving data across PCIE devices?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ninja Rope posted:

Any good resources on dealing with/optimizing for NUMA? Especially when moving data across PCIE devices?

I don't have any but here is my non-helpful first-order approximation of what you're going to find: Avoid moving data.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is it worth upgrading off an i7-2600k yet? I'm occasionally CPU-limited in Planetside 2 and do some video encoding, but I haven't been able to tell what the performance improvements are for that of the current gen vs mine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Is it worth upgrading off an i7-2600k yet? I'm occasionally CPU-limited in Planetside 2 and do some video encoding, but I haven't been able to tell what the performance improvements are for that of the current gen vs mine.

Are you overclocking? If you're not overclocking, I'd spend $40-50 on a good cooler and then you'll be up to par with latest generation chips.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Going from the Nahalem era BIOS (looks like 1990) to an x79 MSI one is :psyboom:.

It highlights what ports you are using on the mobo! Mouse Control! Drag and drop functions! :woop:

Rime fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 10, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you overclocking? If you're not overclocking, I'd spend $40-50 on a good cooler and then you'll be up to par with latest generation chips.

Just to add to this: I have a 2600k with a Corsair hydro kit cooling it. Without even *touching* voltage options and just using the chipset manufacturer's Windows utility, I have it boosting to 4.2Ghz with zero other configuration. I could probably get it even higher with this cooler and playing with voltage. It's still a strong chip.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lowen SoDium posted:

The console CPUs currently are not being utilized as well as they could be. AMD's Jaguar is pretty low performance, so developers have little choice but to multi-thread as much of their workload as they can to get as much performance out of the consoles as they can. I think we can expect to see some of this work show up on PC ports eventually.

I know I probably sound like I am saying "Just multithread your games, developers, shesh!" but I really do understand the complexities and non-linear performance gains that multithreading brings. But I really do think that some developers will come up with ways that use nearly all of the CPU resources available to them in order to make the prettiest or best performing games they can on the new consoles. It will probably be a while, though. And chances are equally good those games may never get a PC port.

I always forget about hyperthreading because it's performance gains are not very high. But you are probably right that Haswell cpus are so much faster in clock speed and in clock-for-clock performance compared to Jaguar, that a 5 or 6 thread application would probably still run faster on a 4 core Haswell chip.

Yeah, I have read that too, though I don't remember it being 3 cores. I was thinking it was 2.

The choice in CPU seems like an odd one.

Say you were building a PC. Is there any particular task you'd choose that particular CPU for?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Deuce posted:

The choice in CPU seems like an odd one.

Say you were building a PC. Is there any particular task you'd choose that particular CPU for?

It's an AMD chip, ergo, nope. Nothing at all.

They probably bought it because it came along with the GPU.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Hypothetically you'd use such a CPU for a low-impact virtualization server (think a place selling personal web server VMs) or a larger NAS/entry SAN. Which is exactly where 8-core Avoton SoCs (Silvermont Atom cores) are used, e.g. the ASRock C2750D4I, a mini-ITX server board with 12 SATA ports and 4 DIMM slots supporting up to 64 GB of ECC DDR3 (plus a PCIe x8 slot for good measure).

Actually, Jaguars and Atoms are so wimpy compared to Haswell that even a Haswell Core i3 can do all the work that the 8 cores in the Xbox One and PS4 can, and then some. There may be some where the 8 real cores edge out 2 buff hyperthreaded cores, but I'd guess that'd probably be an edge case.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lowen SoDium posted:

Personally, I expect this to change in the next couple years since the Xbone and PS4 are both 8 core systems.

Nah, you clearly don't realise how poo poo the CPU is in Xbox One and PS4. Netbook-class cores at 1.6GHz or so. Several of them are no match for a high clocked Haswell core.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, you clearly don't realise how poo poo the CPU is in Xbox One and PS4. Netbook-class cores at 1.6GHz or so. Several of them are no match for a high clocked Haswell core.

This just makes me think about how impressive a 12 mHz 68000 in the Neo Geo sounded at one time :allears:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Panty Saluter posted:

This just makes me think about how impressive a 12 mHz 68000 in the Neo Geo sounded at one time :allears:

Oh but it was, and mighty expensive. These new consoles aren't anywhere near as ambitious, but that's a consequence of these things being "good enough". Back then, every few years, the advances seemed huge. Now plenty of people shrug when they see the difference between a PS3 and PS4 version of a game.

I'll just quietly blame the demise of arcades.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 13, 2014

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I am shopping for a new gaming rig based around a GTX980 and I was stupid enough to consider a 5930K over a 4790K, after reading this thread I am leaning towards a 4790K now. I am mostly wondering how power consumption and heat generation of the two compare when overclocked, is there gonna be much difference? Is one of the two easier to OC while keeping it quiet?

Does anyone have any personal reviews/an opinion on the Corsair Hydro Series coolers? (might be outside the scope of this thread, sorry if it is)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

HalloKitty posted:

For the record, I understand very well what the Jaguar CPU is like.

I am not saying that PC games will be 6+ threaded to keep up with the consoles. I am saying that the console games will have to be 6+ threaded to get any performance out of the low power CPU they have to work with. Those games will eventually get ported to PC and could likely still be 6+ threaded.

When that happens, you might see some PC games that can get some performance increase out of a Haswell-E CPU. But until then, the normal Haswell chips are a better by for PC game. And they probably will continue to be even after that point.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 13, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tahirovic posted:

So I am shopping for a new gaming rig based around a GTX980 and I was stupid enough to consider a 5930K over a 4790K, after reading this thread I am leaning towards a 4790K now. I am mostly wondering how power consumption and heat generation of the two compare when overclocked, is there gonna be much difference? Is one of the two easier to OC while keeping it quiet?

Does anyone have any personal reviews/an opinion on the Corsair Hydro Series coolers? (might be outside the scope of this thread, sorry if it is)

low end hydro coolers are noisier than good air coolers, but don't perform as well/barely hold their own. They are useful only in a super cramped case where air cooling isn't possible. High end Hydro coolers - 240mm+ radiator size - outperform the best air coolers, but at a substantial cost in noise. A good air cooler is the way to go.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Panty Saluter posted:

Apple was selling a LOT of Mac Classics and SE's around that time with an 8MHz 68000 processor in it. The Mac Classic was the first Mac to sell for under $1000 too. This is literally like having a Sandy Bridge in the PS4/BONE now as the 68030's had just come out and the '020 was not as widely spread.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Tahirovic posted:

Heat will be higher on the 5930K, way higher. You can easily add 60% to 100% power draw, vs. ~50% on a 4790K. We're talking up-to-300W on the 5930K you need to dissipate (24/7-safe will be more like 250W though), vs. 150W on a 4790K pushed just as hard. So you need to get rid of a SHITLOAD of heat. That's not happening quietly without some really expensive gear, like the all-copper radiator on the Cooler Master Glacer 240L CLC.

Side note: Is the 5930K really the right choice here? The 5820K is all the CPU, just with 28 PCIe lanes instead of 40. 28 PCIe lanes is plenty for two-way SLI and an upcoming hot-poo poo m.2 drive.

As for Corsair Hydro coolers... They're Asetek OEM. Copper water block, aluminum radiator. Good kit, though really similar kit to any other Asetek CLC like NZXT Krakens or a number of other brands. But the fans are often just... okay. Corsair really wants you to feel like you get good results buying and installing their SP120s the high-static-pressure fan of your choice.

I would be really hesitant to get anything smaller than an H110 or Kraken X60 for a Haswell-E overclock.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

DDR4 prices on V3 Xeons holy poo poo. I may have to stick with V2 chips. Anyone know the clock for clock performance differences between V2 and V3 E5-26xx chips (assuming same clock/cores)?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
AnandTech's benchmarks said 1% to 19%, 8.3% average, over Ivy Bridge at the same clocks, though that didn't control for differences in thermal performance.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

The Lord Bude posted:

low end hydro coolers are noisier than good air coolers, but don't perform as well/barely hold their own. They are useful only in a super cramped case where air cooling isn't possible. High end Hydro coolers - 240mm+ radiator size - outperform the best air coolers, but at a substantial cost in noise. A good air cooler is the way to go.

I use an h100i with a third party, high static-pressure set of fans and I can't hear it at all in my case. This is on an overclocked 4790k.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

Heat will be higher on the 5930K, way higher. You can easily add 60% to 100% power draw, vs. ~50% on a 4790K. We're talking up-to-300W on the 5930K you need to dissipate (24/7-safe will be more like 250W though), vs. 150W on a 4790K pushed just as hard. So you need to get rid of a SHITLOAD of heat. That's not happening quietly without some really expensive gear, like the all-copper radiator on the Cooler Master Glacer 240L CLC.

Side note: Is the 5930K really the right choice here? The 5820K is all the CPU, just with 28 PCIe lanes instead of 40. 28 PCIe lanes is plenty for two-way SLI and an upcoming hot-poo poo m.2 drive.

As for Corsair Hydro coolers... They're Asetek OEM. Copper water block, aluminum radiator. Good kit, though really similar kit to any other Asetek CLC like NZXT Krakens or a number of other brands. But the fans are often just... okay. Corsair really wants you to feel like you get good results buying and installing their SP120s the high-static-pressure fan of your choice.

I would be really hesitant to get anything smaller than an H110 or Kraken X60 for a Haswell-E overclock.

Thank you and The Lord Bude for the nice answers. It feels horrible to be so clueless about hardware.

I was willing to pay the 150$ extra for the 5930K over the 5820K (given the benchmarks from overclocker's or tom's I actually forgot) showed it being just ever so slightly better even with games. That was before anyhow. Your post about cooling/power consumption was kinda the last bit needed to get me away from Haswell-E, so I'll just try get a 4790K and OC that while trying to keep it quiet. Maybe I can invest the saved money into better/higher quality cooling solutions instead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tahirovic posted:

Thank you and The Lord Bude for the nice answers. It feels horrible to be so clueless about hardware.

I was willing to pay the 150$ extra for the 5930K over the 5820K (given the benchmarks from overclocker's or tom's I actually forgot) showed it being just ever so slightly better even with games. That was before anyhow. Your post about cooling/power consumption was kinda the last bit needed to get me away from Haswell-E, so I'll just try get a 4790K and OC that while trying to keep it quiet. Maybe I can invest the saved money into better/higher quality cooling solutions instead.

You may already be covered here, but if you're not already hooked up in this regard and trying to spend more money, get a nice monitor or nice keyboard/mouse. Those are often overlooked but they are huge quality of life improvements.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Diviance posted:

I use an h100i with a third party, high static-pressure set of fans and I can't hear it at all in my case. This is on an overclocked 4790k.

I'm going to do this for my h100i. The included fans are annoying and the software is junk so I'm just going to use the included controller in my NZXT case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Visidan posted:

I'm going to do this for my h100i. The included fans are annoying and the software is junk so I'm just going to use the included controller in my NZXT case.

I did the same, except I just plugged the fans into my motherboard. Used the mobo's built in fan controller, works much better than corsair's lovely software.