Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
LCA in Pinball Arcade S3 is about as close as pinball can get to "So bad it's good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Crackbone posted:

Battle for the Kingdom in Midevil Madness is a cruel mistress.

Yeah, definitely one of those modes that hexes you in forgetting all the shots you were nailing a minute ago :(

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Speaking of, if it wasn't for that I'd have gotten to Rule The Universe for the first time. :negative:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Dracula doesn't look like much from first glance, but it has a brilliant ruleset. It's based around 3 different multiball modes, which you can build up while in multiball, stacking them together for huge multipliers to everything and enormous jackpots (Papa.tv's video tutorial). It's also all about killing vampires with badass quips from a movie that's endlessly quotable - I'm surprised at how little love it gets.

Dracula is far better than I thought it would be. Was chatting with Nurge/Space Tractor about it, and I think it's in part because it's hard and unforgiving, but also pretty balanced. High scores are totally dependent upon stacking the multiballs - there's no way around it. And activating them, especially at the same time, takes getting decent at more than one shot. Meanwhile, one false move and you're dead. There's too many really good tables that are reduced to exploiting single shots over and over and over if you want to get a decent score. One of the big downsides of TPA's physics being so drat consistent.

Crackbone posted:

Battle for the Kingdom in Midevil Madness is a cruel mistress.

In case you for some reason don't know - save two troll bombs. You can lower them during the battle and it makes it way way easier.

On a real life pinball note...

Won't mean much to anyone but two of you that I know of, but finally made it to a place that Roffels recommended here in St. Paul. East Side Pinball - basically a guy that has his tables set up at a local bowling alley. Really kept up, LED'd out, and a great selection. Definitely going back often.
http://www.eastsidepinball.com/
(Click the link and watch the slideshow. Wait for the bored as poo poo looking pinball girlfriend. It kills me.)

Also - definitely decided against an old EM that had been listed on Pinside for $300 recently. Saw and played it at another local place this weekend, and while it was in decent if not great shape (With a really nice freakshow backglass http://www.pinrescue.com/games/images/outofsight2012/out%20of%20sight%20%20021.JPG ) it was just rather boring. Previously delivered advice to just save up for something better heeded. At best I could fit two machines in my apartment before getting murdered by the girlfriend. They may as well be ones I like. Just going to set a bit aside each week and see where things are in six months or so.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That South Park looks great.

I also hope TPA does Frankenstein at some point. Really underrated table that got me back into physical pinball.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Looks great... but I bought it for ps4 and the table won't show up in the zen pinball menu.
:\

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One of the nice (and also mean) things about Dracula is that you can't shoot the same shots over and over again- enough castle/coffin shots in a row invariably sends the ball into the jets.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tony Phillips posted:

Also - definitely decided against an old EM that had been listed on Pinside for $300 recently. Saw and played it at another local place this weekend, and while it was in decent if not great shape (With a really nice freakshow backglass http://www.pinrescue.com/games/images/outofsight2012/out%20of%20sight%20%20021.JPG ) it was just rather boring. Previously delivered advice to just save up for something better heeded. At best I could fit two machines in my apartment before getting murdered by the girlfriend. They may as well be ones I like. Just going to set a bit aside each week and see where things are in six months or so.

Good call. You won't regret it. And I maintain a good Gottlieb table (Not sure how many there are, but I love my Genesis) is a good value. Or something like a Rollergames or a cheap system 11.

EastSide Pinball has a pinball league if you ever feel really dedicated. They also have a roaming one that hits up Mortimers and Sun Ray.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I don't know how I managed to luck out, but a comic store five minutes away from me decided to put in a bunch of good pinball tables. X-Men, Terminator two, the shadow, and Shrek, all in fantastic condition. And only $.50 a play. I haven't put it on Pinside yet for fear that the tables will always be occupied.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 15, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I dunno if anyone in the thread is Phoenix area but if so, I'm correct in saying the only pinball option in the entire metro valley area is castles and coasters? I was at Golfland a few years back and just as the pinside description I later saw had said, it was like 5 machines with only 1 in working condition. Has anyone been to The King in Scottsdale? They have a table or two maybe? I like the variety I saw at castles and coasters a few years back but I much prefer some beer mixed with my pinball.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I dunno if anyone in the thread is Phoenix area but if so, I'm correct in saying the only pinball option in the entire metro valley area is castles and coasters? I was at Golfland a few years back and just as the pinside description I later saw had said, it was like 5 machines with only 1 in working condition. Has anyone been to The King in Scottsdale? They have a table or two maybe? I like the variety I saw at castles and coasters a few years back but I much prefer some beer mixed with my pinball.

I'm in Phoenix and I can confirm that Castles and Coasters is the only real option here. They majorly renovated last year to make room for some Fruit Ninja Arcade machines and got rid of a lot of their pinball tables in the process. Now there are about a dozen tops and they're all on the second floor.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

EastSide Pinball has a pinball league if you ever feel really dedicated. They also have a roaming one that hits up Mortimers and Sun Ray.

Yeah - was looking at the flyers while I was there. Both the ESP and dual location leagues are more or less mid-season right now, but restarting in mid and late November. Will likely join one of them the next time through.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

ovaries posted:

I'm in Phoenix and I can confirm that Castles and Coasters is the only real option here. They majorly renovated last year to make room for some Fruit Ninja Arcade machines and got rid of a lot of their pinball tables in the process. Now there are about a dozen tops and they're all on the second floor.

Oh poo poo, super lame.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ovaries posted:

Golfland is hit or miss. I've been a couple times when the machines were working really well, but I've been twice as often when half the machines were unplugged (and the other half probably should have been). I live in the east valley, so it's worth rolling the dice with Golfland rather than drive 90 minutes round trip for Castles and Coasters. Medieval Madness's trolls are frequently broken, and the ball gets stuck by the pop bumpers all the time on Theatre of Magic.

If you're ever in Tucson, the pinball place that opened downtown is incredible. I posted about it in this thread before. The owners are a married couple who both work as some variety of moneybags engineers at Raytheon. They've been accumulating tables for years, and they are all in fantastic condition and impeccably maintained. It's just a small industrial space with rolling garage doors in front propped open, and 25+ tables inside.

Here was the games list last time I was there. They've got a few more that they rotate in and out.

AC/DC (Premium/LE)
Addams Family, The
Black Knight
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Cyclone
Doctor Who
Dr. Dude
Flying Carpet
Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street
Game Show
Grand Prix
High Speed
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Johnny Mnemonic
Jurassic Park
Medieval Madness
NBA Fastbreak
Pinbot
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Star Trek
Stargate
Tales from the Crypt
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Taxi
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Theatre of Magic
Twilight Zone
X-Men (Pro)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

If you're having trouble finding pinball, see if there's a pinball league in your area - it can be a good way to get access to private collections (and make friends or whatever). Google turns up the Arizona Pinball Players League - though, according to this article, there was a waiting list as of 2011.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

South Park Pinball is already listed on Steam. And there's a trailer of it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322960/

I love the Butters one so far. I die everytime I turn the bumpers into AWESOM-O coming up with movie ideas.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
By the by, does anyone have PA working on a jailbroken iPad? I don't know why, but PA is just hosed now. Everything seems to be fine except the flippers won't respond at all for some reason... :sigh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I got one of my two remaining wizard goals for Firepower last night, and I should have gotten the last one, but I am a horrible monster and I pray for death. On ball 1 I got the 50,000 point Firepower award and wound up with 682K points, putting me in a great position for the last wizard goal, which is to score 750K.

I didn't even crack 700K. :saddowns:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

prefect posted:

I got one of my two remaining wizard goals for Firepower last night, and I should have gotten the last one, but I am a horrible monster and I pray for death. On ball 1 I got the 50,000 point Firepower award and wound up with 682K points, putting me in a great position for the last wizard goal, which is to score 750K.

I didn't even crack 700K. :saddowns:

Steve Richie is a cruel, cruel man.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I get more STDMs on Firepower than on almost any other table.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Firepower's greatest trait is its habit of kicking the ball back out of the left outlane straight into the right outlane.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bananalogue posted:

Firepower's greatest trait is its habit of kicking the ball back out of the left outlane straight into the right outlane.

"The greatest trick Firepower ever pulled was convincing the player that the ball save existed. And like that, poof. It's gone right down the opposite outlane."

Personal Firepower strategy is just to repeatedly launch the ball up the side orbits and into the rollovers. Max the multiplier out to light extra ball and collect it. If you light the locks on the way - lock the balls up and hope the extra ball is lit when your multiball starts since its a hard shot to try for directly.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Firepower and Phantom of the Opera are even more brutal in real life than the PA versions. I had a chance to play both on free play last year, and the constant drains were so frustrating it became hilarious. It was really fun bonding with strangers over our embarrassing games.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Stern just announced their next game, and it's absolutely not what you were thinking it would be:

Greg Freres and Dennis Nordman have been pushing to get this game out there for a while, so it's pretty neat that they're actually producing it. I've played it a few times at conventions, and it's exactly the assholeish EM game you'd expect. I wonder what the price will be.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Is this the first new EM since solid state became a thing?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Some years ago another company did a straight up remake of an old Gottlieb from their EM era. I'm pretty sure both of them have solid state electronics on the inside, but all the required accouterments of an EM (the chimes, the score reel, etc).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I see they've taken GamerGate somewhat personally.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Actually producing a new EM would be extremely expensive and nobody would ever want to work on the inside.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Any opinions on WaterWorld? Somebody near me is offering for $1500, good condition.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clouseau posted:

Stern just announced their next game, and it's absolutely not what you were thinking it would be:

Greg Freres and Dennis Nordman have been pushing to get this game out there for a while, so it's pretty neat that they're actually producing it. I've played it a few times at conventions, and it's exactly the assholeish EM game you'd expect. I wonder what the price will be.

Content aside, I love how it looks like it's sitting on top of a watermelon crate.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yikes...

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So the table theme is big titties?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Electromax posted:

So the table theme is big titties?

Yes.

here's some coverage.

ABC News posted:

Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons™ pinball takes players on a journey through the Mellon Family farm renowned for abundant produce. Players shoot for and score points on the farm operated by the lovely Melony Mellon and her twin sisters while avoiding the wrath of their over-protective shotgun-wielding father. The colorful easy-to-learn game features a fun classically-styled pinball playfield tuned for a balance of randomness and skilled shooting challenges that rewards players of all skill levels.

"We wanted to create a game that everyone can enjoy, so we started with a more accessible layout from a classic era of pinball," said Dennis Nordman, co-founder of Whizbang Pinball and famed pinball industry design veteran. "This is the first new electro-mechanical style game in over 35 years."

Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons™ pinball delivers the most tactile pinball experience since the advent of electronic pinball...

I'm not saying the table itself is badly designed or plays poorly, but with that kind of language(and there's a lot more in the press release), there's a lot to dislike before you even get to that point.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Saw pics of it before and never even realized that its an EM. Meh. I assume my inner 12 year old would get over the humor way too quick to ever play it much.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bananalogue posted:

I see they've taken GamerGate somewhat personally.

In all seriousness I doubt the designers of this care about a non-issue that didn't even exist when Whoa Nellie was in the prototype stage. The theme and artwork are pretty much taken straight from "cheesecake" tables from the 60's and 70's. I like the look of the table, but then I love lowbrow humor, R Crumb and all that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
To me it's puzzling that it's an EM-type game with a theme like that. Is that something that is supposed to go out on location and earn money? Or is that something to be sold to collectors for $5,000+ when they could buy a new or almost new modern solid state table with a theme that won't embarrass them when guests see it?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They should have gone full '90s with it and paid for the Big Johnson license. It would have a treasured spot at many bars in southern beaches.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

canyoneer posted:

To me it's puzzling that it's an EM-type game with a theme like that. Is that something that is supposed to go out on location and earn money? Or is that something to be sold to collectors for $5,000+ when they could buy a new or almost new modern solid state table with a theme that won't embarrass them when guests see it?

Without anything concrete to back me up on this, I'd say that this is almost exclusively being made for collectors and in much smaller numbers. Given that this thing was designed years ago, this probably won't delay them from whatever their next big game is (Kiss?). I would also guess that it's probably going to be sold at a lower cost, but who knows. Maybe the AC/DC Luci sold really well, so they figured why not.

Whatever your thoughts on the theme, I think it's generally encouraging that Stern is interested in producing tiny boutique style games.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 16, 2014

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

As I understand it, Stern recently expanded their production lines and are doing contract work for other companies like PPS and the Medieval Madness remake. This looks to be a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I love EM machines, but I have a feeling the price point on that is going to be closer to modern DMD stuff. At that point there's no real reason to buy it over a good condition used EM instead, unless the table design is like the bestest thing ever.