Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, anyone starting out in this game should probably get an Alchemist, because you'll be burning through a LOT of potions later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, anyone starting out in this game should probably get an Alchemist, because you'll be burning through a LOT of potions later on.

You're not my Dad you can't tell me what to do (even if it's probably a good idea). I'll admit my not planning to go for Alchemist/Alchemy is somewhat out of spite for how much it's being shoved at you, even if it's kind of cool.

Basically Alchemist seems nice, but the only reason I'd expect it to be effective would be if they deliberately designed the game to be more painful without an Alchemist/Alchemy skill bitch.

50% less chance to have your gun explode just for pulling the trigger becomes redundant if/when you get 5 points in Firearms which removes jams entirely. Which you would probably rush for unless they locked crafting ammo behind 2 or 3 points of Alchemy. Which you would not be needing to craft in the first place if you were not an Alchemist gunslinger.

Ingredients growing in your backpack is one of those things that sounds nice, but not really essential unless they lock basic required potions like cure poison from the last game behind alchemy skill points, or have an artificial shortage of potion ingredients to enemy supply/lots and lots of things breaking your limbs causing you to blow through healing potions faster than otherwise.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Thoughts on the different magic disciplines?

Unlike the first game I've found a few of each type so it seems more balanced. I did find a spell that requires both Earth and Water so now I'm regretting putting those two skills on different characters. I wonder how many combo spells there are.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Section Z posted:

You're not my Dad you can't tell me what to do (even if it's probably a good idea). I'll admit my not planning to go for Alchemist/Alchemy is somewhat out of spite for how much it's being shoved at you, even if it's kind of cool.

Oh, you can probably play through the game without one just fine, it's just that later on when you begin running into enemies and traps that can cause injuries or poison/disease it's really nice to have a couple extra potions lying around.

I just figure he'd be useful for a first playthrough.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm probably going to regret this later but I'm really enjoying playing through on Ironman. Makes exploring a dungeon a lot more tense when you don't have that quickload safety net.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One thing I've noticed is that if you feed enough "right" food to a team-member, they'll get a stat increase. The ones I've found so far are eggs to lizardmen, cheese to ratlings and meat to Minotaurs. I'm guessing bread is for humans as well.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Does Grim 2 have the bullshit level 3 spider spam stuff like in the first? I like old-school but not enough to deal with that bullshit again.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So if I cast a fire spell on a dude and the numbers are red instead of white, is that super effective or is that telling me that the spell type is ineffective? I genuinely can't tell. On a few enemies, it seemed like Shock was doing more damage than the fire spell when the number was red, but then other times (like on the little tree stump dudes), the number was red and I felt like I was really hurting them. Or alternatively, is it just a critical hit? Because if it is, then I'm not getting criticals on anybody but my sweet insectoid battlemage, Professor Stagcrown.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CuwiKhons posted:

So if I cast a fire spell on a dude and the numbers are red instead of white, is that super effective or is that telling me that the spell type is ineffective? I genuinely can't tell. On a few enemies, it seemed like Shock was doing more damage than the fire spell when the number was red, but then other times (like on the little tree stump dudes), the number was red and I felt like I was really hurting them. Or alternatively, is it just a critical hit? Because if it is, then I'm not getting criticals on anybody but my sweet insectoid battlemage, Professor Stagcrown.

Red means super effective. Green means they absorb the damage(This seems pretty rare and unique to elementals so far).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Broken Cog posted:

One thing I've noticed is that if you feed enough "right" food to a team-member, they'll get a stat increase. The ones I've found so far are eggs to lizardmen, cheese to ratlings and meat to Minotaurs. I'm guessing bread is for humans as well.

What stat gets increased?

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL
In the Twig Tunnels I found a note that says I can see the shrine right beneath here. I wish I had packed more provisions. That's just a clue to figure out the shrine of the glutton right?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So a quick bit of feedback, the auto-save system likely doesn't fire as often as it needs to. I just lost about 45 minutes of progress while exploring the Forest because I expected there to be an auto-save on the transition down into a dungeon, but there wasn't one. Any time a level load happens it should likely auto-save.

Also, Legend of NIMHrock is underway!

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Welp, game's a blast so far, tho there have been a couple of puzzles I couldn't figure out, and now I'm totally stuck in a room and can't get out.

I'm in the Ruins of Desarune. There was a puzzle involving teleporting a monster and some pressure plates. I solved the puzzle and got the item, but now I'm locked in this small area, all the doors out are shut with no visible means of opening them. Anybody got a hint for me if I can't figure this out?

Here's a screencap of the map where I'm stuck.
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/545259314603333600/227DAF373783F85B0F06D99CCEF746E00945BCA1/

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bucnasti posted:

What stat gets increased?

Seems a bit random.

evilskillit posted:

Welp, game's a blast so far, tho there have been a couple of puzzles I couldn't figure out, and now I'm totally stuck in a room and can't get out.

I'm in the Ruins of Desarune. There was a puzzle involving teleporting a monster and some pressure plates. I solved the puzzle and got the item, but now I'm locked in this small area, all the doors out are shut with no visible means of opening them. Anybody got a hint for me if I can't figure this out?

Here's a screencap of the map where I'm stuck.
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/545259314603333600/227DAF373783F85B0F06D99CCEF746E00945BCA1/

Drop the spider into the correct room so it stands on the pressure plate, this should light up the other five pressure plates there. Now take note of which pressure plates have light on them, and drop items on top of those that do.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Broken Cog posted:

Seems a bit random.

Drop the spider into the correct room so it stands on the pressure plate, this should light up the other five pressure plates there. Now take note of which pressure plates have light on them, and drop items on top of those that do.

Like I said, I already solved the puzzle and got the item. But now there's no way out. In the lower room there are no exits, I got into that area by falling from above. In the upper room there are two wooden doors and both are closed and I don't see any way to open them.
Do you have to leave items on the pressure plates to be able to leave? Because of course I picked mine up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

evilskillit posted:

Like I said, I already solved the puzzle and got the item. But now there's no way out. In the lower room there are no exits, I got into that area by falling from above. In the upper room there are two wooden doors and both are closed and I don't see any way to open them.
Do you have to leave items on the pressure plates to be able to leave? Because of course I picked mine up.

There should be two stairs up. Are you in the enclosed area with the pressure plates? Placing the items on the correct plates should open up the passage onwards on the upper floor.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
To be more explicit, you haven't actually finished the puzzle, the puzzle ends with the eastern wooden door opening rather than obtaining an item.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Puzzles. Anyone solved the Runemaster's Trial because I have absolutely no idea how to find out what I need for that.

E: Just as I finished writing that I figured it out, heh.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I remade my party with less poor decisions, caught up to my first try in about 3 hours and it suddenly comes to light that the character I intended to be a rogue is actually a second fighter. :negative:
This game is so good though.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Metos posted:

To be more explicit, you haven't actually finished the puzzle, the puzzle ends with the eastern wooden door opening rather than obtaining an item.

Ahh ok, thanks. I'll mess with it some more tomorrow then. It's kind of past bed time right now.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL
Oh, for the guy that asked about duel wielding; you HAVE to get light weapons 3 to use it.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

When does my mage get to cast spells?

EDIT: Turns out the mage isn't a mage and I have to restart. :smith:

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 16, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Snow Job posted:

When does my mage get to cast spells? :(

You'll get a fire spell scroll pretty quick, but if you don't have fire magic you can probably extrapolate how to cast the basic air and earth spells.

Fire blast is the top left spell rune, spark is the top right rune, and poison is the bottom left rune.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Snow Job posted:

When does my mage get to cast spells?

EDIT: Turns out the mage isn't a mage and I have to restart. :smith:

Battle mage claims another victory over Wizards through means of Alphabetical order

Zwiftef posted:

Oh, for the guy that asked about duel wielding; you HAVE to get light weapons 3 to use it.

Yeah, I got that much. But how does it work player input wise? Does it turn every attack you ever make into a dual wielding attack if you have the required amount of skill and proper weapons (which could be awkward if those charge filled zappy knives showed up again and you wanted it on hand just in case)? Is there a toggle that get's added? Does it cause a separate cooldown on each hand? All you are given to go on before you are that far, is "Dual wielding is a thing you can do. Dual wielding has a damage penalty."

PS: when you are tired and using magic light instead of torch light, it's easy to walk past the same obvious wall button a dozen times needed to leave after solving the latest floor 9 puzzle :downs:

vvv Sweet, that sounds pretty manageable then.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Section Z posted:

Battle mage claims another victory over Wizards through means of Alphabetical order

Yeah, I got that much. But how does it work player input wise? Does it turn every attack you ever make into a dual wielding attack if you have the required amount of skill and proper weapons (which could be awkward if those charge filled zappy knives showed up again and you wanted it on hand just in case)? Is there a toggle that get's added? Does it cause a separate cooldown on each hand? All you are given to go on before you are that far, is "Dual wielding is a thing you can do. Dual wielding has a damage penalty."

PS: when you are tired and using magic light instead of torch light, it's easy to walk past the same obvious wall button a dozen times needed to leave after solving the latest floor 9 puzzle :downs:

With Dual wield using one of your weapons doesn't put the other on cooldown. So you click and then click. You can also use the skill for each weapon.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

People who've played for a while, how do daggers compare to light weapons? I'm debating whether to have some STR on my rogue or not.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm an idiot: someone please spoil ice magic for me? so far I've found scrolls for every class of magic except the one I'm using and its getting frustrating.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I'm an idiot: someone please spoil ice magic for me? so far I've found scrolls for every class of magic except the one I'm using and its getting frustrating.

Only one I've found so far:
bottom row left to right

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Bucnasti posted:

Only one I've found so far:
bottom row left to right

And that requires multiple schools of magic.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

adhuin posted:

And that requires multiple schools of magic.

Ah okay.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Questions about the editor; when you subscribe to mods (extra levels) via Steamworks, where are those files on your computer? Part 2, can custom levels from LoG1 be opened in LoG2's editor? Part 3 are those mods "protected" or whatever. I want to start working on converting the best dungeon crawler ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Tidgg4jsY and there are 2 mods that have already started the first 3 levels or so.

Bonus: check out about 2 minutes in to that vid for SO many character portraits that are straight up in LoG. :) Especially minotaur.

Quad fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 16, 2014

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Wow, I changed my dex-y alchemist from firearms at the back to put 3 points into light weapons and swapped him with my strength battlemage to the front with the punch-dagger, now he's gone from doing 8-17 when it didn't jam to critting for 130.

Guess I'll chalk those skill points in firearms and the battlemages weapon skills up as a loss to learning curve, but man my party is just killer now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Quad posted:

Questions about the editor; when you subscribe to mods (extra levels) via Steamworks, where are those files on your computer? Part 2, can custom levels from LoG1 be opened in LoG2's editor? Part 3 are those mods "protected" or whatever. I want to start working on converting the best dungeon crawler ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Tidgg4jsY and there are 2 mods that have already started the first 3 levels or so.

Bonus: check out about 2 minutes in to that vid for SO many character portraits that are straight up in LoG. :) Especially minotaur.

According to comments in the official forums, you can't import LoG1 maps into LoG2 editor, but since they're just text files it should be easy for somebody to write a parser, and at least one person has started to do so.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Quad posted:

The subscribed files are placed under Documents/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock 2/

Grimrock1 mods are not compatible with LoG2 although the source files are plain text so it might be possible for someone to create a converter that converts at least the basic things. To open a mod in the editor, you will need its source files: the downloaded .dat won't work.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How exactly do you deal with those yellow bee-elemental things? Nothing seems to hurt them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

What about insectoids?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

How exactly do you deal with those yellow bee-elemental things? Nothing seems to hurt them.

Only thing I've found so far that works is a spell called dispel that requires water magic 1 and concentration 1. It's not very powerful though

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Must I use all the skillpoints in char creation, or can I save them for later when I know more about the game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Let's talk herbs.

I've done a bit of research into how herbs grow in your Alchemist's inventory, and this is what I've seen so far:
- Growth is directly linked to the number of tiles you've walked, as shown under "Statistics" when you press escape.
- Herbs grow independently of each other. You can't give priority to one herb by removing all others from your Alchemist.
- This also means there's no disadvantage to keeping all kinds of herbs at your alchemist at all times.
- Number of herbs in your inventory doesn't matter. As long as you've got at least one of the specific kind, it will grow at the specified time.

Here's the time between grows for the herbs:
pre:
Blooddrop Cap     850 tiles
Etherweed         930 tiles
Mudwort          1950 tiles
Falconskyre      2500 tiles
Crystal Flower   4500 tiles
Blackmoss        around 5500 or 11000 tiles, not sure yet
Here's a list of the tile counts when specific herbs will grow:
http://pastebin.com/0wzqLr4C

(devs, feel free to correct any misinformation here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Must I use all the skillpoints in char creation, or can I save them for later when I know more about the game?

Any unspent skillpoint are lost after character creation. This is a change from LoG 1. They did it for people who want the challenge of starting with zero skills.

• Locked thread