Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
In retrospect, not taking Mana Steal (and taking the white city while I had the chance) cost me my only shot at this game. Oh well.

Stamina to enter the city. Challenge the dragon.

Crack a blue crystal, activate Guardian Golems for Ice Block 6 with Leadership. Use a red from the source (I think there's still a red), play Improvisation (powered), discarding Crystalize, for Block 5. Play Swiftness (sideways) for Block 1 (6 ice, 6 physical block total). Block Dragon.

Crack a blue crystal, activate Ice Golems for Ice Attack 6. Play Rage for Attack 2. Kill dragon.

Flip The Right Moment to take an extra turn after this one. End turn, level up, figure out my next turn when I see my new hand and offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD EVERY CONCEIVABLE PHONE.

With 18 Fame, Goldyx double-leveled at the end of his turn. Meaning he gets an advanced action that we didn't resolve yet.

Meaning he could have taken that goddamn Pathfinding out from under your nose, which would keep you out of my city.

Which is certainly in Goldyx's best interests, since I'm gonna be an easier fight than Arythea.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Hm.

Though it would be kinda dumb that he knows what I was planning because he'd missed it on his turn. With different hands I could have easily wanted ambush or swift bolt.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 16, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

On the one hand that's all true.

On the other hand, it's not Goldyx's problem that you got antsy with a turn-defining decision still on the table.

On the third hand, we've all been pushing the game hard because Stelas is from some loving island on the other side of the globe, and also jesus it's hard to keep track of what was going on in that last turn.

(On the fourth hand, even without a city, you've still got the on the board lead, at least two titles under wraps for final scoring, and better access to backup sources of fame, like that Tomb over on the north side, or the unexplored Core Tile. This is, of course, relevant to exactly nothing besides my own wounded and petty sense of fairness. :v:)

EDIT: Clearly, the only sensible solution is a do-over. Turn 1, Day 1, starting decks, let's go.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 16, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Two titles?

Please son, the question is if I get a clean sweep

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Excuse me sir the title of Greatest Beating goes to me :smug:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

... what did you all do

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Things got a little bit Serious Business.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh wow. I knew that what I did was going to shake thigns up, but I thought it would be in a "ha! how hilarious also Goldyx got second place now instead of third."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just gonna wait, yeah.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 16, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll leave it to Stelas to random number generate t if you guys think it's too close. OTW I would ahve definitely not seen teh pathfinder play coming and probably would ahve taken ambush or swift bolt (but you never know! I might've taken pathfinding!) But I probably would have taken Ambush.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Then take Ambush. :shobon: Sounds like you want her to wipe my city anyways.

The faster Istvun wins, the faster we can browbeat Stelas into starting the rematch.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think the next game he wanted to run was a co-op against Voltaire, master thespian, which I am down for but I am definitely, definitely only going to post once per day in the next game. This has been crazy quick and I think at least one coworker thinks my hobby is reading cards with dragons on them. (SURPRISINGLY ACCURATE)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Dear god. If we only got one post per day, I'd end up flowcharting the entire game in Stelas's inbox by week's end.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Having gone back and forth over it I think it's basically up to whatever Goldyx takes or thinks he would have taken. Yes, you level up during other people's turns, but it's not exactly meant to turn into a race for who can grab a skill first, especially in a PBP thread where I'd been slow in posting Goldyx's skill choices. (Though I realise that was not anyone's intention, it's just the speed of the thread.)

Lemme get to all of that so we can sort this out.

Gutter Owl posted:

The faster Istvun wins, the faster we can browbeat Stelas into starting the rematch.

Rematch nothin', I'm doing Volkaire's Return next if it kills me.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I can't lose horribly is cooperative! I'd be up for that as well :v:

Although i'd have to have the rulebook open next to way more often that i've had to have it so far (only once, waaaaay back in the beginning to double check if i could attack EVERYTHING from one space away like i could rampaging guys.)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Having watched you run this one I'd really like to participate in a Volkare scenario if possible. Fancy running a 6-player game? :D

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Volkaire's dead easy to manage - you just draw a card and see where he moves (and hope he doesn't splat you). Though I know there are a couple other people who have expressed interest, so I'll probably open it up to a random draw.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Fancy running a 6-player game? :D

5 is the maximum even with the expansion - there are only just enough dice to handle 5 players + Volkaire + 2 standard in the source.

At an extrapolated level 40 for 5 players, a Heroic-level Volkaire would start with 4 white units, 4 grey units, 8 red units, and 20 green units. (e: That would, in fact, be the entire orc stack in a single go.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

At an extrapolated level 40 for 5 players, a Heroic-level Volkaire would start with 4 white units, 4 grey units, 8 red units, and 20 green units.

My body is ready.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Stelas posted:

Volkaire's dead easy to manage - you just draw a card and see where he moves (and hope he doesn't splat you). Though I know there are a couple other people who have expressed interest, so I'll probably open it up to a random draw.

Well even if i don't get to play you can bet i'll be reading!

Stelas posted:

5 is the maximum even with the expansion - there are only just enough dice to handle 5 players + Volkaire + 2 standard in the source.

At an extrapolated level 40 for 5 players, a Heroic-level Volkaire would start with 4 white units, 4 grey units, 8 red units, and 20 green units. (e: That would, in fact, be the entire orc stack in a single go.)

All that on top of his own attack where 3/4 of the time it'll be brutal!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Every time I run it solo I manage to forget about Volkare's attack entirely. Oops.

Goldyx's Turn

Goldyx doesn't have March!... but he does have Stamina. He also hasn't used a mana die from the source so I'm going to assume he's using a red, since he can pop blue no problem.
Goldyx successfully assaults the Green City and nabs 15+3 fame.
Goldyx levels twice and gets a Command Token and a skill/action draw.
Goldyx flips Glittering Fortune (Each turn, during interaction only: gain +1 Influence for each different colour crystal you have.) and Source Freeze (Once a round, use this skill. Other players cannot use their one free dice from the source. At the start of your next turn, take this skill back and a mana crystal of any one colour represented by the source.)

Given the situation I'm going to pause for Goldyx's choice.

And, you know, go to work.

Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 8 hand, 14 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 1/8 hand, 14 deck, skill choice, action choice, yet to draw.
Arythea (Istvun) - 10 hand, 15 deck.
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 8 hand, 18 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing
Defenders Left - White: 3

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stelas posted:

Every time I run it solo I manage to forget about Volkare's attack entirely. Oops.

I knew those Scores you kept on posting were too high. :colbert:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Stelas posted:

And, you know, go to work.

Is this not your job?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll take source freeze and Ambush.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm going to take the white city like before, but play Energy Flow sideways instead of Threaten.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Stelas posted:

Hells yes please include me.

Unless I need plat to play in which case I have the sads.

I can't guarantee quick play some nights though as I'll be back at D&D on Tuesday...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
TBF this thread has gone along at light speed. (Aed also demonstrated that most of the time Mage Knight is actually spent making the decisions. A Good Game.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Istvun posted:

I'm going to take the white city like before, but play Energy Flow sideways instead of Threaten.

In the interests of Stelas's sanity:

Istvun posted:

I will be using Dark Fire Magic and Green Crystal Craft

I will start off by performing all of this powered TRAINING, throwing away Tranquility for Pathfinding. Play it powered, terrain move costs are reduced to 2.
(2 green used)

Then I will use a white from the source to cast Wings of Wind. Spend my 4 movement to go onto SW and yell at goldyx before going SE SE SE to end on the hill with the green mine. Power Song of Wind for move 2 and to reduce plains, wasteland and desert to 0 move cost. Head to the monastery by the blue city and pour one out for my homies, then assault the white city.
(2 green, 2 white used)

No siege or ranged. Use the golems to scare the Altem Mages. The swordsmen hit me and the crossbows hit my fire golems. I gain 2 wounds.

Attack phase, have the catapults throw ice at the altem mages while the fire golems shoot them with fire for the kill.
(2 green, 2 white, 1 red, 1 blue used)

Power Swiftness and Improvisation discarding Magic Talent. Play Steady Tempo and Energy Flow sideways along with freezing power to get to 11 attack. Kill the swords and the crossbows.
(2 green, 3 white, 2 red, 1 blue used)

Use healing ritual to donate my wounds to the church of Norowas.

Nominate myself for bit. trip runner

net crystal:
-1 green, -2 white, -0 red, -0 blue.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Beffer posted:

Is this not your job?

Compared to some of the games I've done, Mage Knight is easy as hell to do updates for. I still remember spending entire evenings doing a single update of Eldritch Horror because I had to build the map by hand, transcribe all the encounter cards, and walk uphill both ways, fuckin' whippersnappers.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

If Istvun rerolls his white die to a red or gold, execute my turn as above:

Gutter Owl posted:

Crack a blue crystal, activate Guardian Golems for Ice Block 6 with Leadership. Use a red from the source, play Improvisation (powered), discarding Crystalize, for Block 5. Play Swiftness (sideways) for Block 1 (6 ice, 6 physical block total). Block Dragon.

Crack a blue crystal, activate Ice Golems for Ice Attack 6. Play Rage for Attack 2. Kill dragon.

Flip The Right Moment to take an extra turn after this one. End turn, level up, figure out my next turn when I see my new hand and offer.

If he doesn't, do the following modified version:

Gutter Owl posted:

Crack a blue crystal, activate Guardian Golems for Ice Block 6 with Leadership. Use a blue die from the source, play Crystalize (powered) for a red crystal. Break the red crystak, play Improvisation (powered), discarding Noble Manners, for Block 5. Play Swiftness (sideways) for Block 1 (6 ice, 6 physical block total). Block Dragon.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

In the interests of Stelas's sanity:

Admittedly, it's gotten tougher.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

Compared to some of the games I've done, Mage Knight is easy as hell to do updates for. I still remember spending entire evenings doing a single update of Eldritch Horror because I had to build the map by hand, transcribe all the encounter cards, and walk uphill both ways, fuckin' whippersnappers.

So what you're saying is, you can easily run both Volkaire's Return AND a competitive rematch simultaneously.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea's Turn

Arythea levels and picks up a Command Token.

:siren: All cities are taken over! Everyone gets one last turn! :siren:

-- Final Turns Remaining --
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 9 hand, 18 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 8 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 9 hand, 7 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Well there we go.

Gutter Owl posted:

Crack a blue crystal, activate Guardian Golems for Ice Block 6 with Leadership. Use a red from the source (I think there's still a red), play Improvisation (powered), discarding Crystalize, for Block 5. Play Swiftness (sideways) for Block 1 (6 ice, 6 physical block total). Block Dragon.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas' Turn 1

Norowas levels and picks up a skill and an Advanced Action.
Norowas flips Determination (Once a round, gain 2 cards; if last, gain a white mana.) and Whisper In The Treetops (Once a round, gain a white crystal and a green mana.)

-- Final Turns Remaining --
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 4/6 hand, 18 deck, skill choice, action choice, yet to draw, extra turn.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 8 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 9 hand, 7 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Take Determination and Regeneration.

Flip Determination like first thing on my turn for the extra cards.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

hahah holy poo poo that draw.

Hand is updated.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There is a very real chance that between Norowas and Tovak, the white city is going to have its units hoovered up real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

WELL I GUESS I'M DOING THIS THEN.

Play Regeneration, heal a wound from hand. Play Mana Draw.

Use a white die to play Noble Manners (powered) for Influence 4. Use a white die to play Heroic Tale (powered) for influence 6 (10 total). Play Diplomacy for Influence 2 (12 total).

Interact. No reputation bonus. (Woo white city universal hiring!)

Hire Ice Mages with my Bonds of Loyalty for 4 Influence. Hire Ice Golems for 8 Influence. Activate Ice Mages for a blue crystal because why the hell not. End turn. Gain 3 Fame.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 16, 2014

• Locked thread