Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak gro-Murati
HP: 22/27 Recoveries: 6/8 AC: 14 PD: 13 MD: 12

Tombak's spear is still caught in the last skeleton's ribcage. He tries to jerk it out to make a new attack, but to no avail. Instead, he tries to just hold the thing still. "Can someone... get this thing...!" he calls through gritted tusks.

Last Stab: 1d20+7 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi
12/24 HP, 6/8 Recoveries, 16 AC, 14 PD, 11 MD
+2 to defenses against Hlaalu spirits

"Having some trouble there, orc? Let me help." Zairan fires an arrow whistling past Tombak's ear, nailing the skeleton between the eye sockets.

Send this last guy to the grave (ranged attack vs PD): 1d20+6+3 18 1d12+5 6
Half damage and rolling a 1 means 3 damage so this guy might not even be dead.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
You guys realize you just skipped K'zan's turn, right?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Whoops. I knew I was just waiting on one person and after Tombak posted I assumed that was it. Sorry!

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

No worries, been super busy at work, not much time to post lately, can't say I blame anyone for getting impatient!

K'zan Redpaw

With just one skeleton left, there's wasn't much need for anything fancy - hopefully, just a quick blow to the poor thing's frame would be enough to put it out of it's misery.

Basic Attack: 1d20+6 24

Damage: 1d8+3 7

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The last skeleton crumbles to pieces as K'zan strikes it, falling to dust as it hits the floor. You take a look around the room, finally silent after the combat. You see Crassius leaning against one of the altars to Saint Seryn. The Imperial is covered in wound and his leg appears to be broken. The remains of the skeleton he fought lay at his feet, the spear and shield coated in blood. He looks up and grunts, "I don't know how, but that thing got the better of me. Smashed my leg to bits with that shield. I had to use the last of my magicka to keep myself together to kill it. I can't go on, I'm afraid."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

Digs sighs deeply. "This is my fault, isn't it? Would a potion help get you on your feet faster, so you can at least get out of here?"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi
12/24 HP, 6/8 Recoveries, 16 AC, 14 PD, 11 MD

"You know, I was expecting the guardians to be less...corporeal. You should be safe here now that we've taken care of anything in this room. When we find what we're looking for we can return here to help you back to Balmora. Would that be all right?"

Edit: spending two recoveries.
Recoveries: 2d8+2 12
Back to full health, now.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Crassius half-smiles at what the Argonian says. "I'm afraid you'd need something stronger than the average potion to fix me up well enough that I could limp my way back to Balmora. If you have a potion or find one in here, though, I'd be more than welcome if you would give me it."

He groans as he tries to shift his back onto a more comfortable position on the triolith shrine. "Yeah, I should be fine here if I keep quiet. You go on ahead. I hope you all make it. Otherwise I'm going to have to drag myself out through that trap-filled corridor all the way to the road and hope that a Legion patrol comes by before the local wildlife eats me." Crassius laughs, despite the obvious pain he is in.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak gro-Murati
HP: 27/27 Recoveries: 5/8 AC: 14 PD: 13 MD: 12

"Well don't die, buddy," Tombak says, clapping a genial hand on Crassius' shoulder. "We've still got many more marching songs to sing. Try to splint that leg..."

Recovery: 1d8+3 11 Should've been +2, but it heals me to full either way.

Tombak takes a moment to catch his breath, swiftly patching a bandage over his wounded shoulder. Hopefully it holds. Gripping his spear, he jerks his head towards the depths.

"We should keep moving, once we make sure there's nothing useful in here." So saying, he starts to scan the room and poke at the fallen Guardians, looking for anything valuable. Can't hurt to try.

Sifting for goods (wis/charming scoundrel): 1d20+6 18

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"If you're thinking of making a splint, maybe some of these bones might do the trick..."

Digs looks over at Zairan.

"...Or if that's not suitable, I could break down my staff. I'm not using it anyway."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia
HP: 31/36 Recoveries: 5/8 AC: 16 PD: 16 MD: 12

Severia shakes off the bone dust on her and goes over to Cassius. "And this is why you don't just rely on Magicka. Hold on one second," she says reaching around for two intact bones. After finding them, she removes her bandanna. She rips it into three pieces. "This is gonna hurt like hell, but it'll make your life easier in the long run." With that, she places the two bones on either side of his leg and ties them together in different places using the scraps of her bandanna, making a makeshift splint. After that, she stands up. "I'll carry you out when we come back this way."

Turning to the rest of the group, she says, "So where to next?"
Recovery: 1d8+4 6

Edit: Dammit Melvin, I was typing that at the moment you made that post. Now it looks like your idea!

djw175 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 9, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

djw175 posted:

Edit: Dammit Melvin, I was typing that at the moment you made that post. Now it looks like your idea!
Umm, thanks for sparing my staff? Sorry. :v:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi
24/24 HP, 4/8 Recoveries, 16 AC, 14 PD, 11 MD

"I don't know where we're going to find the Hlaalu registry... but I may be able to find the Spider Daggers that Severia and I seek. They're enchanted with soul gems...perhaps some part of the spirits of the creatures remains, tied to the weapon. If you know how to listen to the spirits, they can provide more knowledge than you can imagine." Zairan sits on the floor and meditates for several moments, then gets up and shakes his head. "This place...there's too much background noise. Too many spirits here, drowning out any sounds from what remains within the daggers."

Spirit Speaker + Wisdom to find the daggers: 1d20+5+4 10
Well, that's not a very good roll.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Crassius grimaces as he adjusts to the splint. "A little tight, don't you think? I think I'm gonna take a nap until you get back. Stay safe." He then shifts his back into a more comfortable position and tries to relax.

Tombak goes about the room, treading over bones and bonemeal in search of anything of note. Inside a dusty copy of the Second Sermon of Vivec left at the foot of the Poet-God's altar, he finds half of an iron key.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Oh! I've never read one of these Vivec lessons before. Mind if I take a look?"

Digs looks through the book, his smile turning to a frown after a few pages.

"Wait. Carrying his egg as in holding the egg or... Oh. That's weird. So is Vivec the egg or did he lay it or... Wait. Why is the egg talking? You know, if the Tribunal wanted people to take them seriously, you'd think they'd make their literature more... penetrable. Ugh. It does remind me: mind if I take a look at that key?"

Examining the key: 1d20+4+4=20.

"I mean the key joke was pretty funny, but that reflects more on the book's owners than the writers. Besides, I'm just too confused to even chuckle. And what was Mephala even doing there? You know, this one time, I was reading this book written by a Telvanni, and..."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Argonian runs his hands over the key, looking it over. It has been cleanly bisected in the middle, leaving only the bow; the blade lies somewhere else in the tomb. As he examines the key, he finds that it was most likely cut in half with magic; it does not have any tool marks or fractures that would indicate it being sawed or broken in half. There is a reddish residue on the key near the cut, although it's not immediately evident what exactly the dust-like material could be.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak gro-Murati

"Well this is sure to unlock some secrets," Tombak muses, passing the half-a-key around. "Try to avoid getting any of the dust on his fingers, just in case it's some kind of super magic flesh eating spore," he suggests. In this place, anything can happen.

"Maybe the egg is a metaphor," the orc replies. "These books are full of that kind of stuff."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi
24/24 HP, 4/8 Recoveries, 16 AC, 14 PD, 11 MD

"Bah, I wouldn't trust any of those so called lessons. It's a book full of lies, created by a bunch of usurpers calling themselves gods."

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

K'zan Redpaw

The Khajiit shrugs. "From what I've seen of temple services, could be a bit of both. It can get pretty weird in there some days." he muses with a little smile.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole
pre:
HP: 27/27; Recoveries: 5/8 (1d6+3); Gathered power: No
AC: 14(15) PD: 13(14) MD: 12(13)
STR 10/00 CON 16/03 DEX 12/01
INT 16/03 WIS 10/00(02) CHA 12/01
+4 Digs-A-Hole +4 Digs-A-Grave
Gear: Staff, Mage Robes, Fire salts, 60gp
Ingot: Alert, Maybe Even Insightful
"Well, we probably need to keep an eye out for the rest of that key now. If any of you guys know of any other books that make reference to key halves, now would be a good time to tell us. Either way, we should probably keep moving."

Recovery: 1d6+3=6.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You exit the room, leaving the injured Crassius behind for now, and bring the half-key with you. There is a staircase leading down further down the hall away from where you came.

Do you wish to descend or explore the top floor some more?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Probably finish exploring this floor before going downstairs?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Agreed. Wouldn't want to get surprised later by something we ignored now.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Sounds good.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

"What a nice looking staircase," Tombak exclaims, pointing at it. "But we should probably make sure nothing up here stabs us in the back before we take it. What's this way?"

He begins to walk back through the upper floor, hunting for clues. Or half-keys.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You roam back to the first fork in your path and make your way down that hallway. The passage ends with a single door. Someone has barred it on your side. The security bar is slightly bent out of shape, as if something was struggling hard to force it open from the other side.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Grave

"I don't know if I should be happy whatever's in there hasn't broken out or horrified there's something worth barring in there."

Digs slowly moves towards the door and carefully puts his ear(?) to the door.

He whispers, "Hear anything, Ingot?"

Listening through the door: 1d20+1+2+4=15.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak gro-Murati

While Digs is checking for sound, Tombak checks for traps. He critically eyes the bruised door, rubbing his chin very seriously as if he has any idea what he's doing when it comes to dungeoneering.

Checking the Door: 1d20+6 11

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You can hear nothing in the other room. It is dead silent as far as you can tell. Tombak can find no traps on this door, although he finds a small bit of soot on the handle.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

After what feels like an eternity, Digs pulls his head from the door.

"Well, I don't hear anything. I guess it couldn't hurt to take a peek."

Stealthily opening the door (hopefully): 1d20+6=7. :downsgun: I am never going near a door again.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Digs tries to enter the room stealthily, lifting the bar and then carefully opening the door. Unfortunately (for the Argonian's ego, at least), he fails yet again at preventing the iron door from creaking loudly as he tries to take a look through it.

A sudden increase in the temperature of the hallway is the first warning that something is amiss. As you take a look inside, the smell of ash hits your nose. The room on the other side of the door is scorched; barely any part of it has avoided being burned. Prayer books, offerings, and even elven remains have been reduced to nothing but cinders. The mud-brick of the room is cracking and peeling, and you immediately figure out what caused this.

A Daedra stands in the center of the room. It is slightly feminine in appearance, having a thin waist and slender arms, and is clad in a dark iron armor that glows a dull red. What is not covered in armor shines with a bright orange fire that illuminates the rest of the room and makes the being hard to look at directly. The Flame Atronach turns to look at you all and begins to speak, its voice sounding like the snapping and hissing of a wood furnace trying to approximate the voice of a woman.

"What issss thissss? Did the elvessss ssssend one of their ssslaves to check in on their preciousssss tomb? No, I sssee othersss too. Too well armed to be sssslavesss. Mercenariesss sssent to deal with me, perhapsss? Sssspeak, mortalssss. I demand you tell me your businessss here."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 9, 2014

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak gro-Murati

Tombak takes in the scene with a glance, then flips his spear back into its sling and saunters into the room with an expression to match the sultry air. "Well hello there," he purrs. "I just came for an adventure, but it looks like I found something... so much more."

He makes a deep, florid bow. His hand seems to almost be signalling something back to the others, using Imperial Legion handtalk. Something like 'get ready in case this goes badly' or possibly 'ham banana banana sandwich'. Probably the former.

"I am Tombak gro-Murati, master of the spear." He rises from the bow. "None can match the power of my thrust. I can see that you, however, are an even greater being than I!" Tombak gestures at the wanton destruction, managing not to cringe at the thought that this whole trip was for nothing. "Nobody sent us to deal with you, but perhaps we could... strike a deal?" The orc grins. "It would be far more pleasant to work together than to fight over nothing."

Stay Classy, Tombak (Cha + Charming Scoundrel): 1d20+4+5 29

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Atronach, previously poised to strike out at any moment, seems to shrink back, confused over what the Orc said. For a moment, nothing is said by the Daedra, and the atmosphere in the room becomes still. Eventually, the Daedra says in a low voice, "...You are not aligned with the Hlaalu. They would never send one so ignorant about the Daedra to attack me. Allow me to educate you, Orssssimer: it is the Aedra's domain to create, not ours. If you wish to... procreate... sssseek one of your own kind."

Despite the stern lecture Tombak received, the tension in the room has dissipated. Even the air in the room seems to have cooled off. The Fire Atronach turns to the rest of you and begins to speak again. "Your comrade mentioned you would be willing to ssstrike a deal with me. Ssspeak, if you wish. You are graverobbersss, yesss? You may be of sssome ussse to me."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Not to nitpick, um, ma'am, I guess, but we've already been useful to you. I mean, did you see that metal bar that was blocking the door to this room? Well you couldn't, you know. Because you were trapped by the bar. By the way, you're welcome. I-I'm not trying to demand anything, I'm just asking you to consider favors we've already done for you before you start making new requests, you know?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Atronach responds to the Argonian. "Yessss, I ssssuppossse you did allow me to go free. Allow me to make you an offer: I will lead you through thissss tomb, and will let you take whatever you wissssh. I wassss originally hired to guard thissss tomb by the Hlaalu in exchange for a payment of sssssoul gemssss, but they have failed to bring me my jussssst reward as promissssed after a year and a day of sssservitude. I rebelled upon learning of their treachery, but they forced me into thissss trap. I plan to dessstroy this place before returning to Oblivion. I know where many of their trapsss and guardianssss are hidden; you ssshould be sssafer with me leading you. After you leave, I will burn thisssss tomb to the ground, covering your tracksss. Do you accept?"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

"That sounds...unusually generous. I wasn't expecting things to be so straightforward. I don't see any reason not to accept your offer. We're primarily looking for information about Hlaalu genealogy, and we're also looking for a pair of enchanted spider daggers. Do you know where any of that might be?"

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

K'zan Redpaw

"Sounds like a reasonable deal to me."

The Khajiit leans over a bit, nudging Tombak with an elbow and whispering softly. "Smooth as moon sugar there, friend. Sure you're not part Khajiit?" he teases.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"Interesssting. Very ssspecific for graverobberssss..." The Daedra strokes its molten chin, trying to puzzle out what exactly you are here for, and then continues.

"The Hlaalu keep their recordssss further down below in the main burial chamber. The chamber is the firssst thing you will enter after you go down the stairsss. It'sss guarded by three championsss, powerful in life but who had disgraced themselvesss in sssome way, hence their binding to the mortal plane. Two of them are fierce warriorssss, while the other was a mage of some prowesssss. And, of courssse, they have othersss with them to provide ssssupport. I will not be able to aid you until you kill the mage; it will attempt to banisssh me the moment I enter the room, and I will not allow that to happen until I can take my revenge on thisss sssorry lot of mortalsss. As for the daggersss, I recall they were located in an old prayer room dedicated to the Daedra downstairsss. I assssume it wasss built before the Tribunal came to power. I will lead you there after you deal with the championsss."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Well, thank you, uh, ma'am; We'll be on our way I guess. And, we'll let you know, uh, when the undead are, well, dead."

Digs turns to start walking back down the corridor, muttering to himself all the while.

"Thisisabadideathisisabadideaohsweetmercifulninethisisaterribleidea-"

• Locked thread