Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Akarshi posted:

The company I just interviewed at just sent me an email asking me to apply there as though I hadn't just had an interview with them...weird.

That may just be an EEO thing, where you need to have a filed application so that they can give you the job. Whenever I worked University jobs, I always had to apply for the job after it had already been given to me, for EEO reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

The thing is that I already filed an application with them before my interview. Maybe this is a different division? Or the HR department is like huge or something.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I had to do that going perm here. HR for the city is weird and wonky.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Well, either way I tried to apply again as they told me to do and I couldn't because I had already filed an application. Just one of those things I guess.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Akarshi posted:

Well, either way I tried to apply again as they told me to do and I couldn't because I had already filed an application. Just one of those things I guess.

That bodes well.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm freaking out a little bit over recruiters and a lot of people spamming my e-mail with opportunities. I've suddenly feel like I'm not adequate enough to actually do software development even though I'm about to graduate with a CS degree and it went from not being called back for internships to suddenly just a lot of traffic. What do I do? How do I mentally tell myself that I can handle this? I've read the OP and the second post a bunch of times and I'm still uneasy about it all.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Asema posted:

I'm freaking out a little bit over recruiters and a lot of people spamming my e-mail with opportunities. I've suddenly feel like I'm not adequate enough to actually do software development even though I'm about to graduate with a CS degree and it went from not being called back for internships to suddenly just a lot of traffic. What do I do? How do I mentally tell myself that I can handle this? I've read the OP and the second post a bunch of times and I'm still uneasy about it all.

Post an E/N thread and/or get a therapist?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Is it typical for a HR drone to see if you'll bite at a big cut in real wages coming from a low COL to a high COL area if the raise is nominal? Obviously I didn't and I didn't even give any kind of number before I even spoke to the developers, but holy poo poo people are gullible. Maybe if I was a fresh grad?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

gently caress them posted:

Is it typical for a HR drone to see if you'll bite at a big cut in real wages coming from a low COL to a high COL area if the raise is nominal? Obviously I didn't and I didn't even give any kind of number before I even spoke to the developers, but holy poo poo people are gullible. Maybe if I was a fresh grad?
Keep in mind, your real wage may not stay the same going from low COL to high COL, because part of what you have to factor in is that places with high COL have a high COL because people actually want to live there (in other words, the location itself is a benefit). For example, 60k in Jacksonville is roughly equivalent to 160k in SF: http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/jacksonville-fl/san-francisco-ca/60000

Of course, you should still push and negotiate for as much money as you can get.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Asema posted:

Calm down, breathe. You can do this, we believe in you :)

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I am expecting a conversion offer from Google following my internship and would be happy to take it. I should hear back in the next 2-3 weeks. Should I expect a big hit in salary if I don't go seeking out competing offers? I have a lot of PhD-related stuff happening right now and seeking out other offers for jobs I don't want to take seems very stressful.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Your salary will probably be perfectly fine even without having competing offers, but having other offers will give you vastly more leverage in any negotiations. It's up to you whether that's worth it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

a slime posted:

I am expecting a conversion offer from Google following my internship and would be happy to take it. I should hear back in the next 2-3 weeks. Should I expect a big hit in salary if I don't go seeking out competing offers? I have a lot of PhD-related stuff happening right now and seeking out other offers for jobs I don't want to take seems very stressful.

competing offers will help your base salary a little, but would definitely help you with the pot sweeteners like RSUs.

i would say do it because getting at one offer from a large co shouldn't take you more than half a day's work.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Got an offer from that company! I have a concern, though. In their formal job application, they have a drop down menu for entering your GPA. Thing is, the GPA drop down menu was one decimal point only (3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc). My GPA is 3.08, and at the time I put it down at 3.1 on the drop-down menu because a difference of .02 is smaller than a difference of .08. I'm sure they'll ask for a transcript if I actually accept the offer (which I haven't yet) though, and I've heard that rounding up is frowned upon. Should I email the recruiter telling them about this rounding up before I accept anything, or should I just leave it alone?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You think they'd ask for a transcript? Who asks for a transcript?? 3.1 is totally kosher, go for it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Akarshi posted:

Got an offer from that company!
If a hiring manager is interested in you a rounding decision will not derail the process. It's a pre-interview filter at most places that can afford some amount of fallout if it makes the pile smaller. Leave it alone.

sarehu posted:

You think they'd ask for a transcript? Who asks for a transcript??
Google.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

sarehu posted:

You think they'd ask for a transcript? Who asks for a transcript?? 3.1 is totally kosher, go for it.

They might ask for a transcript and background check you to the point where they'll call your school to check out your story. I'm in a PhD program in the US and I had a company call my alma matter in GREECE, multiple times, until someone in the registrar's office pulled their heads out of their asses and picked up the phone to confirm that I actually graduated from there. But no, a rounding error of 0.02 isn't gonna hurt you.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

For everyone?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Munkeymon posted:

For everyone?

Yes, it's baked into the application form they make you fill out, but you can basically ignore it and many other things on the form if you've got substantial experience or other desirability.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

For everyone?

noted forum old rotor was like 30 years out of school and got asked for a transcript.

i hear they don't really do that kind of thing anymore.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Akarshi posted:

The company I just interviewed at just sent me an email asking me to apply there as though I hadn't just had an interview with them...weird.

I got a recruiting email from Instagram a couple months ago. I work for Facebook...

Sometimes recruiters aren't completely up to date on whats going on in other parts of the company.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FamDav posted:

i hear they don't really do that kind of thing anymore.

Yeah I'm sure they've really turned it around but they held onto their lovely hiring practices for so much longer than necessary, especially considering how "data driven" they fancy themselves. It has surely spawned a bunch of companies who think that's state of the art and cargo cult the process.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Asema posted:

Congratulations, you're aware that there's a ton of poo poo you don't know. This never stops, by the way; the more you learn the more you will realize you need to learn. It also doesn't matter, since everyone else is in the same boat.

Just stop panicking, go interview with some places, be confident and don't put yourself down while you're doing so. Stop reading and thinking about the superstars of our industry, too, you don't compare to them and you don't need to.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Interview with the SF place went very well.

Holy poo poo. Time to practice hangout coding.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I picked up Pragmatic Programmer and it's fantastic so far. What other books are must reads for fresh grads? Also have an interview with Bloomberg tomorrow for the Software Engineer Training program. Wish me luck!

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Some people don't like the book but it changed my view on how I programed.

Code Complete 2nd Ed.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah I'm sure they've really turned it around but they held onto their lovely hiring practices for so much longer than necessary, especially considering how "data driven" they fancy themselves. It has surely spawned a bunch of companies who think that's state of the art and cargo cult the process.

So what is state of the art, these days?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress them posted:

Interview with the SF place went very well.

Holy poo poo. Time to practice hangout coding.
Cool. Just don't get up your hopes too high for SF itself. Yeah, it'll be awesome in a lot of ways Jacksonville sucks, but then it'll also have its own ways of sucking, like the rent and endless hobos.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ohgodwhat posted:

So what is state of the art, these days?

You poo poo into a cup and your genetics and expertise are extrapolated from there.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Does anyone here have experience with finding a job in a different country? Getting it without in-person interview seems unlikely, but I can't even apply for a visa without having job offer first. It seems like a closed loop.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Forgall posted:

Does anyone here have experience with finding a job in a different country? Getting it without in-person interview seems unlikely, but I can't even apply for a visa without having job offer first. It seems like a closed loop.

You apply. You'll get a few telephone/skype interviews, maybe an online coding exercise. Company decides to fly you in and writes a letter for you to give to the embassy. You use that to get your visa.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Skuto posted:

You apply. You'll get a few telephone/skype interviews, maybe an online coding exercise. Company decides to fly you in and writes a letter for you to give to the embassy. You use that to get your visa.
Are there any companies that are known to be interested in hiring from abroad, or any job listing websites / recruiting companies etc that specialize in this matter?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I got asked to print out the fibonacci sequence up to N number. I did it, and then told interviewer about a project I did, and then the interview was over. So great success? Guy was so dry I couldn't get a read if it went well.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

I got asked to print out the fibonacci sequence up to N number. I did it, and then told interviewer about a project I did, and then the interview was over. So great success? Guy was so dry I couldn't get a read if it went well.

Haha, hate it when that happens. You should be fine though, but I guess you can't be sure. In one of my phone interviews I think I did pretty well answering the actual technical and project questions, but then the interviewer spent the rest of the time bitching about the workplace and how he wants to get a new job and has started looking for one. Afterwards I didn't get to move on in the interview process, so that was a weird time.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

KidDynamite posted:

Yep, you can never really tell. Maybe send a follow-up email thanking them for the interview and reiterating your enthusiasm to work for this company, but otherwise just gotta put them on a shelf and wait. Don't stop applying to other places in the meantime, don't invest all your hopes and dreams in the outcome of this one interview, and otherwise just keep on doing what you're doing.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Forgall posted:

Are there any companies that are known to be interested in hiring from abroad, or any job listing websites / recruiting companies etc that specialize in this matter?

Most companies that hire software engineers are willing to hire people from abroad, I think. At least all the ones I applied to didn't blink an eye. Nothing stops you from sending in resumes to places that look interesting to you. HR will throw them out if they can't deal with it and won't when they can.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I found out last Friday that I'm being laid off from my cushy remote front-end job with a startup. The CEO was nice enough to essentially give me 3 weeks severance so that I could spend all of that time trying to find my next job. Since then I've had four in-person interviews, one phone interview, and several more pre-interviews with recruiters. Although I'm applying for senior level UI dev positions, I figured my experience would be helpful to anyone who is going through software dev interviews.

To help keep track of everything, I have a spreadsheet will all the companies I might want to work for. For each I try to find the average salary for senior software engineer, the average reviews (both on Glassdoor), and whether I've applied, interviewed, status (e.g. waiting for response from HR), and any notes. The spreadsheet keeps me from applying to the same job twice, helps me narrow down the best jobs, and helps me remember the details.

How I Applied

Straight Applications

I actually haven't applied to every job out there (yet), but I applied to about 10 that seemed promising. 3 were through external recruiters, the rest were to internal recruiters or engineering managers, but all were online. Here's the job sites I use to find jobs:
  • http://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs?f=t
  • http://www.authenticjobs.com/
  • https://weworkremotely.com/
  • http://functionaljobs.com/
  • http://indeed.com
  • https://news.ycombinator.com/jobs

Hired.com

Another goon recommended this service (maybe even in this thread), so I decided to give it a try. You give your requested salary up front and companies bid on you in a weeklong auction. None of it is final, but it gives you a good idea of compensation. I don't want to live in the Bay Area, but I wanted to see all my options, so I included those locations in my search. Almost immediately I got 5 offers from companies in San Francisco, San Jose, and Mountain View at and above my requested salary, which was $15k more than I am currently making.

However after a lot of discussion with my family, I decided not to move away from San Diego, despite the extra money. After changing my location settings to just SD, OC, and remote, I have received 0 offers, even after lowering my salary to $15k below what I make now ($30k below the Bay Area salaries). This is one of the most frustrating parts of being in San Diego. Despite the high cost of living and despite how much people are getting paid up in the Bay Area, salaries here are well below most other tech hubs by a significant amount. It seems I'll be lucky to get a job making 20% less than my current salary.

I responded to all of the Bay Area offers asking if they would allow me to work remotely. Only one said yes and I've started progressing through their interview process. I would be surprised if I get any offers for SD companies through this service. I think it's probably great for Silicon Valley, not so great for those second and third level tech hubs.

External / Outsourced Recruiters

Everyone says to avoid recruiters and I generally do, but I've had good experiences with a few so I still give them a chance. So far, they have all been useless. I finally came to the realization that they only place jobs with the companies they work with. If they don't have a position with a salary that's right for you, there's literally nothing they can do. They aren't going to work for you. You don't pay them.

Natural Networking

This is something that I learned from Ramit Sethi and while I started doing a little bit of it several months ago, I didn't do enough. The idea is to network and get connected with people at the companies you want to work for, email them and take them out to coffee so you can get insider info, and ideally get them to take your resume directly to their hiring manager so you never even have to apply. Internal recommendations like this are much more trusted than random applicant #121.

The problem is this takes time and I wasn't expecting to be laid off. Now I'm in a time crunch and not everyone is hiring right now. Still, within the last week I have added 40 new connections on LinkedIn and gained some valuable insights.

I used scripts from Ramit's Dream Job course to ask them questions about their experience at [x] employer (some current, some past). I haven't counted my exact response rate, but it seems like 75% accept my request to connect and of those, 50% respond to my request to ask them questions. Of those, about 75% actually answer the questions. Out of all that, I've had a co-founder take me out to lunch, 3 people offered to send my resume to HR, but none have led to an actual interview. I think this process can work, it just takes more time than I have right now.

Interviews

I had two in-person interviews at the company offices on Wednesday:

One was with a design agency, where the CTO just sat with me and asked about my experience, asked some technical questions about HTML5 tags, schema.org, responsive design, etc. Overall fairly laid back, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

The other was for a healthcare software company. Before I even met the manager and lead dev I had to take a written test asked all kinds of questions about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Some parts were a little trivial and the last couple pages required writing code on paper and even drawing what the page would look like given some HTML/CSS. I probably got 90% right. The rest of the time was spent talking with the manager and lead dev about my experience and about their company. Basic stuff.

Yesterday I met with a co-founder of an 8-year old consumer facing SaaS company. There was no job opening, but he showed me around the office, then we talked about my experience and what I was looking for over lunch. Afterwards he emailed me to tell me that they don't have the budget for a new hire right now, but there could be a position in 6 months. He also offered to introduce me to anyone that I wanted to meet in the local startup community, so he could be a valuable connection anyway.

I also had a phone interview with the startup in SF that would allow me to work remotely. Same basic intro stuff. They will send me a technical test today.

Also one of the jobs I applied for through Hacker News sent me a technical test to take before we even have a phone interview. Here's the test:

quote:

This is a simple evaluation problem. You'll code Bob, a simple message responder as follows:
Bob answers 'Sure.' if you ask him a question.
He answers 'Woah, chill out!' if you yell at him (ALL CAPS).
He says 'Fine. Be that way!' if you address him without actually saying anything.
He answers 'Whatever.' to anything else.
For help in completing the initial problem, specs are attached in each of the following languages: Ruby, Python, JavaScript and Clojure. Please select one language, complete the code in your language of choice so that all specs pass

I have two more phone interviews scheduled today and I am planning to apply for many more jobs over the weekend. If anyone is interested, I will keep the thread updated with my progress.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
So I'm flying out to Mountain View next Friday for an interview with Google for entry level SE. Anyone have experience interviewing on-site? Anything that I should study in particular that may not be obvious?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

smokyprogg posted:

So I'm flying out to Mountain View next Friday for an interview with Google for entry level SE. Anyone have experience interviewing on-site? Anything that I should study in particular that may not be obvious?

Rent prices in the Bay Area.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Forgall posted:

There's this guy in the jobs/looking for jobs thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246449&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post425639166