Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas gets 3 Fame. Reputation doesn't really matter at this point.

Tovak's Turn

Norowas (Gutter Owl)
-- Final Turns Remaining --
Prayer of Weather in effect.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 8 hand, 14 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 8 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 9 hand, 7 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Oh, sorry, can I add one thing to that turn?

Flip Prayer of Weather. Just to be a spiteful rear end in a top hat.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I was wondering.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Oh, sorry, can I add one thing to that turn?

Flip Prayer of Weather. Just to be a spiteful rear end in a top hat.

Oh were you just getting around to doing that?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Hope you like that city, Goldyx. I don't think you're leaving it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well it seems Stelas never got around to posting what i wanted to do so i guess i have to do it myself, GOD!

I'll use Swiftness with Mana Draw sideways to move into the city, Use second effect of Ruby Ring, use my endless red mana to play powered up versions of Threaten and Intimidate along with taking a white from the source to power up Promise

Which with the -3 of my reputation which only leave me with 14 Influence but that's enough to buy me the Catapults and if i'm allowed to heal in cities i buy as much healing as i can with the 5 influence i have left, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

No matter the results (although we all know who is the biggest winner and biggest loser) it's been fun you guys!

We've finally come too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIy67DW0q6A

You only want the first 2 seconds of that video why the gently caress is it so hard to find just a 3 second clip of Kai saying final turn? ugh :(

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Start your Kickstarter campaign now for a manga cartoon series of Mage Knight Board Game.

With gatling guns.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, kind of crashed out.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Use second effect of Ruby Ring, use my endless red mana to play powered up versions of Threaten and Intimidate along with taking a white from the source to power up Promise

You don't really need to blow up the Ruby Ring for this? Just using it will give you a crystal and a token anyway, and you're only using two red mana. Similarly, you can't buy healing in cities, so strictly speaking grabbing two level II units would do you better.

Goldyx's Turn

~pretend I updated the map and offer here~

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Stelas posted:

Sorry, kind of crashed out.

You don't really need to blow up the Ruby Ring for this? Just using it will give you a crystal and a token anyway, and you're only using two red mana. Similarly, you can't buy healing in cities, so strictly speaking grabbing two level II units would do you better.

Goldyx's Turn

~pretend I updated the map and offer here~

Oh you're right now that it's put that way. So just use the regular effect of the Ruby Ring and grab both Savage and Red Cape Monks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I flip mana freeze and white crystal craft. play powered stamina in order to march on top of that healing glade and get myself healed of a wound.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 17, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
don't go crazy man, you only need 4 move to get onto that glade.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh dang I forgot it was day.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Play Amulet of Sun to power Concentrate to power Pure Magic, spending a white from the source for 9 influence. Mana Draw to power Threaten. Play two Marches sideways for influence. Recruit Catapults and Utem Swordsmen, disbanding the guards.

Play Crystal Mastery for blue because why not?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Istvun posted:

spending a white from the source for 9 influence

Point of order, Goldyx put Mana Freeze into effect.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fine.

Concentrate for red powering Threaten. Amulet of Day then spend blue crystal and gold token to power Pure Magic. Play March, March, Frost Bridge sideways to get to 15. Crystal Mastery to get my blue back.

Buy my mans.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Dag nabbit. There goes my "Greatest Leader" title, too.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gutter Owl posted:

Dag nabbit. There goes my "Greatest Leader" title, too.

Treat your Freezers right (or kick them to the curb when nobody's looking. either way, really)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Aaaaand that's game. A full run of Mage Knight done in 3 weeks, start to finish. Good fuckin' lord.

Final updates and final tally will go up when I get home. In the meantime, thanks to all my players for seriously going the distance, not to mention mashing F5 even harder than I could. It's been a lot of fun to run, and much easier than I thought it would be. Can't say I'd relish doing two games at once - I was juggling a lot of dropbox files in the backend - but it does give me hope that Volkare's Return should go just as smoothly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The audience demands a rematch. :colbert:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think I can pinpoint two game-losing decisions, in retrospect.

The first, which is something I learned from Istvun, is that it is worthwhile to check keeps even on the first turn. This was maybe my 4th game of Mage Knight in total, and this was the first time it was demonstrated to me that keeps are as easy to clear as goblins. (In some cases, easier.)

This first turn problem was a fairly large blunder because instead of checking a keep that I could have easily conquered at the time, I instead wound up having to discard a Rage to get in position to threaten a goblin on teh enxt turn. This made me use my cards very inefficiently to kill the goblin, which didn't set me back a lot, but definitely prevented me from getting to the village before Norowas and Tovak sat on it.

If I had headed through the keep and taken Arythea's route, (although I would likely have branched out to conquer mage towers earlier) I would have been much better off.

The second was using my flight tile to get to the swamp right after I conquered the mage tower, and then revealing a cold dragon staring me in the face. If I had saved my flight tile for after the scouting action, I could have flown past the dragon and taken an easy artifact and potentially the red city before anyone else conquered something, dramatically improving my chances of scoring well.

All in all this was a good game and I feel like I've learned a lot about managing movement and risk.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
First turn I think I could have just jumped into the dungeon with ranged 5. Also my checking out the keep was pretty cautious since I still could have made it to the goblin and killed it.

The big things I learned were to get super lucky and that efficiency is overrated and it's nice to just have powerful options. Also going in a direction that other people aren't is pretty nice.

e: Actually I don't think it was so much super lucky as it was having acceptable enough alternatives to make the risks a lot more manageable.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 17, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Personally, there are a few things I will never underestimate again:

1) The importance of the Tactics draft.
2) The complete loving ridiculousness of Song of Wind and Pathfinding.

I completely discounted Arythea as an existential threat, being on the complete other side of the map and with a city of her own to take (ha). Had I chosen Mana Steal this round and gone before, I would have taken the white city and had a legit shot at the title, albeit at a huge cost in wounds.

A few things just would not work for me this game. Arythea consistently grabbed the cards marked "Norowas wants this"--Energy Flow, Call to Arms, Literally All of the loving Banners. And drawing both of my wounds in my opening hand this round was just painful.

I will end you allGood game, guys.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 17, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Things I basically noticed going through the game.

Arythea: the Movement Map really gives away the fact that the movement across the board was unbalanced. Arythea's waaay up in the north and no-one's bothering her at all and she's getting to hoover up anything and everything. It's true that Arythea also got super fuckin' lucky, but uncontested ground is always good to have.

Goldyx: Not a lot to say here! Yeah, a couple mistakes, but honestly they weren't major mistakes, you were just up against some very exacting and careful players. One of the difficulty walls of Mage Knight is understanding when you can start to get yourself xp, and from where - generally speaking if I can Ranged 6 in my hand that's enough to take out a dungeon or a monastery with little to no risk. In that respect, Goldyx can really get a good start, because Will Focus will manage that with just a single die and two cards. No having to wait for Mana Pull or a glade like other characters.

Tovak: Tovak genuinely got bad luck - moving down into the south was a gamble but it was one where the odds were working out for you. Unfortunately, the odds didn't match what actually happened. Aside from that, though - skills! You had Block Mastery but didn't work with it for many of your fights, which left you with a lot of wounds here and there which cumulatively slowed you down.

Norowas: Nothing much to note but I've got to admit I raised a serious eyebrow at that final tactics card. I mean, it's a good idea in general to double up on the final turn and grab what points you can, but Arythea had spent the last round doing some serious gymnastics with Movement points and Goldyx had just ensured his city by grabbing a good tactic. Still, that's all talking in hindsight - I can't say I exactly expected that either.

GM: fuckin' rememeber to reroll mana dice, god. Also, I'm not sure how I'd ever make a newbie-friendly or LP-friendly version of this thread - there's just way too much in the way of rules to talk about, or repeating people's movement back to them would take way too long, etc.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

generally speaking if I can Ranged 6 in my hand that's enough to take out a dungeon or a monastery with little to no risk.

Out of curiosity I ran the numbers on this with the expansion: 10/16 dungeon enemies will be killed by Ranged 6. Those that aren't, at least they don't have a nasty effect like freezing. 10/14 purple enemies will also be killed.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

To be fair, this is like only my third game of competitive Mage Knight that actually made it to the final city-conquering, and the first where I wasn't teaching the game. I'd never seen this sort of extremely time-sensitive blitz at the end.

The Right Moment was a cocky and inexperienced play. I figured everyone would need at least a turn to shape their hand to one shot a city (oh how wrong I was), and only Tovak seemed within range of an Advanced Action level. I was setting up to clear the white city, level for Pathfinding, then flip Right Moment and charge the Green City with Pathfinding/Prayer of Weather.

Done got schooled in the error of my ways.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's part of the learning process, really. I've definitely had those moments before - cities seem completely insurmountable to a new player, and then your first couple games you're umming and aahing and hesitating, and then at some point it clicks and you go 'oh wait I absolutely can ravage a city in seconds if I just have this and this'.

I certainly wouldn't feel too bad about anyone's score from a quick glance at the numbers and you had such a head of steam mid-game I would have said in an instant that you were doing fine.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
As far as I can tell, one of the hardest skills is figuring out exactly what you need to take on a city. A lot of what I was doing was grabbing the things that were helpful in the short term and figuring out how to make the best use of what I had in a turn.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Stelas posted:

GM: fuckin' rememeber to reroll mana dice, god. Also, I'm not sure how I'd ever make a newbie-friendly or LP-friendly version of this thread - there's just way too much in the way of rules to talk about, or repeating people's movement back to them would take way too long, etc.

I've actually never played Mage Knight before and I thought it was pretty easy to follow along with the game just from context, there were a few things I had to look up but I don't think you'd have to break it down too far. I doubt I could run/play the game from just reading this thread but it was a really great way to help me realize I need to buy a copy of Mage Knight.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Misandu posted:

I doubt I could run/play the game from just reading this thread

:siren: Hey speaking of which :siren:

I'm going to be running a training / newbie friendly game on Skype/Vassal, Saturday afternoon GMT. If anyone wants in, please do yell.

Final scores in a sec.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Very nice game and interesting to watch. I've learnt a lot, too.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
based on my extensive sample size of training owns, I have been able to determine that training owns.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, training owns. How would you compare it to Learning?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Yeah, training owns. How would you compare it to Learning?

Some characters are more suited to picking up Learning - Norowas and Wolfhawk can both make stellar use of it - but the critical difference is that Learning stuffs your deck, while Training culls it. Throwing away the wrong stuff with Training can come back to bite you later - but throwing away the right stuff nets you a straight upgrade and keeps your deck nice and fast, no chaff in it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wrap-Up

Quick note: Tovak's use of the Ruby Ring in the last turn actually levels him, giving him Swift Bolt as an advanced action.

Also, the spread may look absolutely insane to you, but that's kind of the trouble with the scoring system - it exacerbates any score difference dramatically. It's kind of the thing I like least about the game because it can be really daunting for a new player at the end; fortunately, everyone I've played the game with has always said they just like tooling around and getting powerful, rather than worrying about score.

Either way, co-op is the real way to play, as we'll see next thread. Thanks again to my players, who helped prove to myself quite solidly that yes, I can in fact run this worth a drat.

To recap:

Scoring posted:

Take your Fame.
Cities - 7 points for each city leader. 4 if you helped. Winner of this category gets a bonus 5.
Knowledge - 1 point per Advanced Action. 2 points per Spell. Winner gets 3.
Loot - 1 point per pair of Crystals. 2 points per Artifact. Winner gets 3.
Leader - Score Fame equal to each Unit's level, halved if wounded. Winner gets 3.
Conqueror - Score 2 per monastery, mage tower, or keep taken. Winner gets 3.
Adventurer - Score 2 per adventure site i.e. ruins, dungeons, etc. Winner gets 3.
Beating - Lose 2 per Wound. 'Winner' gets an extra -3.

Arythea (Istvun)
  • 89 Fame
  • Cities - 7
  • Knowledge - 16 + 3
  • Loot - 7 + 3
  • Leader - 13 + 3
  • Conqueror - 10 + 3
  • Adventurer - 8 + 3
  • Beating - 0
Goldyx (Impermanent)
  • 63 Fame
  • Cities - 14 + 5
  • Knowledge - 8
  • Loot - 2
  • Leader - 6
  • Conqueror - 2
  • Adventurer - 4
  • Beating - -6
Norowas (Gutter Owl)
  • 69 Fame
  • Cities - 7
  • Knowledge - 7
  • Loot - 5
  • Leader - 12
  • Conqueror - 6
  • Adventurer - 2
  • Beating - -4
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY)
  • 35 Fame
  • Cities - 8
  • Knowledge - 3
  • Loot - 3
  • Leader - 4
  • Conqueror - 6
  • Adventurer - 0
  • Beating - -10 - 3
Final Scores

Arythea - 158
Norowas - 104
Goldyx - 98
Tovak - 46

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 17, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I never actually used Shield Mastery because while it would give me 3 block, i'd need-say-5 more after that that i couldn't generate just from my hand without sacrificing a kill.Hence having to use my face as a shield so much. :v:

Also ouch, i didn't know Greatest Beating was -2 per wound I thought it was simply just if you had the most lose 3.

All in all congrats to everybody else and maybe see some of you in the co-op thread!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

YESSSS Still came out ahead of Goldyx. Moral victory achieved.

Thank you for running the game, Stelas, and for putting up with my pushiness and walls upon walls of COs. :shobon:

Now get the next thread up and put my name in the drawing. I expect to be killing Volkaire by this evening. :colbert:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hahaha I love how much Gutter Owl and I wound up competing against each other mroe than anything else. I really thought that getting that last city might swing it for me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think the final scoring system is easily one of the weaker parts of the game. It works fine enough in co-op, where your score is not so much a competitive thing so much as a high score table entry, but in normal conquest mode it only serves to highlight who did well and who didn't. Of course the person in the lead is going to win the bonus prizes and score the most extra points; of course the person in the back is going to have wounds lingering around.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

I think the final scoring system is easily one of the weaker parts of the game. It works fine enough in co-op, where your score is not so much a competitive thing so much as a high score table entry, but in normal conquest mode it only serves to highlight who did well and who didn't. Of course the person in the lead is going to win the bonus prizes and score the most extra points; of course the person in the back is going to have wounds lingering around.

Well yeah, in a big spacey finish like this one, where the frontrunner hoovers all the achievements, the system looks silly. But that's not the function of the achievement system, either here or in any other Vlaada game (i.e. Dungeon Lords).

The achievement system is meant to do two things:

1) With low level play, the system is a guide to give newbies a direction to head in. "Focus on keeps and monasteries" or "focus on adventure sites" or "focus on spells" give a new player something more tangible to work with than "Here's a big world, go be the best at the things."

2) At high level play (especially 2-player), the achievements give you a tactical avenue to break away from a close race. If we're neck and neck on kills, but I can manage one more fortification and/or adventure site than you, I can secure the victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How do you work Lost Legion on Vassal? I can't find a module for it, albeit I may suck at Vassal.

Do I need plat to be eligible to play?

• Locked thread