Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, the biggest disconnect I found in this episode was the whole "copper bullets? Well we've got zinc bullets now!" section completely failed to gel with the script. The Doctor and everyone else in the episode makes a big deal about how big dicked and great at battle the Sontarans are, then we get bullets that work and wow, no? The middle aged balding general guy just turns up and goes "the battle is joined motherfucker!" and smokes the big bad's lieutenant by shooting him in his turd head. The audience immediately goes "gently caress, Brigadier Beta is icing these motherfuckers, put him on the ship with a kalishnakov, problem solved!" It's like the actors all agreed that the scene was terrible so they elected to shoot a scene from The Cardiff UNIT Massacre.

edit: also, going into battle without a helmet is proven to be as good an idea as it sounds. The Sontarans almost come across as wanting to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I actually didn't remember a thing about this episode, and guessed a B on the general tendency to rank second parts higher than first parts.

Statistics have failed me :(.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Thank loving god this isn't the end of Martha's return to Who. If she was brought back for just this lovely two-parter where for most of it, Agyeman didn't even get to play her own loving character I would've screamed.

If you ever feel needing more Martha-episodes, she's was in couple of episodes in Torchwood. :)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

adhuin posted:

If you ever feel needing more Martha-episodes, she's was in couple of episodes in Torchwood. :)

You are humanity's greatest monster.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the only person who said A on this episode, simply because I couldn't be bothered to rewatch any of the episodes after the first three of the season. Come on, someone else tell me they also guessed A. I don't want to be the only one who made a poor guessing decision. :(

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't remember what I guessed. I think I guessed C or D because I had basically no memory of this episode.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 18, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Zaggitz posted:

...the general tendency to rank second parts higher than first parts.

Statistics have failed me :(.

I look at it more as you failing statistics.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

NeuroticLich posted:

Come on, someone else tell me they also guessed A. I don't want to be the only one who made a poor guessing decision. :(

I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The Poison Sky

Well! Well, this is going to be something of an upset to the scores as everyone skips off into the land of decent reviews.

A
NeuroticLich

B
BSam
idonotlikepeas
Xenoborg
Zaggitz
Evil Sagan
One Swell Foop
Fucknag
thexerox123
Ohtsam
Sighence
Adder Moray

C
jng2058
Jsor
Soothing Vapors
Senerio
Random Stranger
M_Gargantua
Weird Sandwich
FreezingInferno
legoman727
Regy Rusty
Overmayor
Go RV!

D
adhuin
Rarity

F
Andwhatiseeisme

Which puts the totals to

Adhuin 3
jng2058 4
Soothing Vapors 4
Zaggitz 4
Go RV 4
Adder Moray 4
BSam 5
Senerio 5
Random Stranger 5
M_Gargantua 5
Evil Sagan 5
FreezingInferno 5
Fucknag 5
Andwhatiseeisme 5
thexerox123 5
ohtsam 5
Rarity 5
Xenoborg 6
Legoman727 6
one Swell Foop 6
Regy Rusty 6
overmayor 6
Jsor 6
idonotlikepeas 7
Weird Sandwich 7
Sighence 7
NeuroticLich 8

So congrats Adhuin!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jsor posted:

I don't remember what I guessed. I think I guessed C or D because I had basically no memory of this episode.

Yeah I just guessed blindly for both of these because I couldn't even remember what happened in which, let alone if they had anything good about them. I guess not!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Little_wh0re posted:

<snip>

So congrats Adhuin!

This means, y'all should listen my recommendations of Torchwood seriously. All your favourite Who-companions in one series. :getin:

Also the 8th Doctor Adventures-Audiodramas. They're really like New-Who episodes for your ears.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was just looking up Dalek on Wikipedia and you'll never guess who's listed as script editor.

Only Helen Raynor.

But Dalek was good!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Dabir posted:

I was just looking up Dalek on Wikipedia and you'll never guess who's listed as script editor.

Only Helen Raynor.

But Dalek was good!

Check her IMDB-credit list. She has single-handedly Script-edited all the best episodes of 4 first seasons of Doctor Who!
(The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Empty Child 1&2, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, + couple episodes later this season)

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 18, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

This episode should have been rated higher for this scene alone.

The Tenth doctor says "are you my mummy": http://youtu.be/IdjfpriATv4

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 18, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Obviously, since I guessed a C, I didn't expect the level of hate that Occ had for "The Poison Sky". I'm pretty much with Oxx on this one. It's the Sontaran two parter, Sontarans are a bit poo poo and so were these two episodes. There's a few scenes I liked, a character who sucked, none of it was really memorable, let's move onto the next one. Seemed like an easy C to me. Which just goes to show that this whole "get into Occ's head and guess how he'll like an episode" thing is a lot harder than it looks, even if I am tied for second place for now. :shrug:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

adhuin posted:

hahahaha this thread is filled to the brim with sadists and I love it

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

adhuin posted:

You know I had genuinely, completely forgotten about this. I count that as a good thing.

Funny thing. You know what stands out to me the most in my memories about The Sontaran Strategy and The Poison Sky? The ungodly cheap and awful lighting on the Sontaran cloning chamber. When people bring it up my first thought is immediately "Oh god. Those are the episodes with the really lovely purple lights aren't they?". I suppose that says a lot about my opinions of the episodes as a whole really.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Captain Fargle posted:

You know I had genuinely, completely forgotten about this. I count that as a good thing.

Funny thing. You know what stands out to me the most in my memories about The Sontaran Strategy and The Poison Sky? The ungodly cheap and awful lighting on the Sontaran cloning chamber. When people bring it up my first thought is immediately "Oh god. Those are the episodes with the really lovely purple lights aren't they?". I suppose that says a lot about my opinions of the episodes as a whole really.

Well, we've established that mauve is the universal color for danger, so :smug:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

If anyone who hasn't seen it has read these comments thinking "Hmm, should I watch Torchwood?" this basically sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFFFgdo1Zc

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

If anyone who hasn't seen it has read these comments thinking "Hmm, should I watch Torchwood?" this basically sums it up:

So 'yes' then.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Incredible. This is Torchwood, give or take a Cyberwoman, and a IT TURNS OUT MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER bit (I feel it's unfair the cannibalism episode isn't mentioned in the same breath as the Cyberwoman, both being equally awful).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eve Myles will always be the only Welsh elf in Dragon Age to me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I've only seen about half a season of Torchwood and this is pretty much every episode

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, that sketch is incredibly accurate. Torchwood is real, real bad on every level, it's an amazing embarrassment and just the fact that it ever existed as a companion piece to Doctor Who is so bizarre to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Torchwood isn't even fun-bad. From what I've seen, it's really slow and dull.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

Torchwood isn't even fun-bad. From what I've seen, it's really slow and dull.

Yeah, I tried watching it on the basis that it might be fun-bad, but it's somehow like, apocalyptically silly while confining its silliness to occasional moments layered under scene upon scene of awful dialogue set to thumping techno and people standing on roofs.

Also the first episode establishes one of the main cast members as a date rapist, just so you know it's dark and edgy. Torchwood is abominable from every conceivable angle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Barrowman is thankfully now in a much better campy show where he can stand on rooftops for no reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, that sketch is incredibly accurate. Torchwood is real, real bad on every level, it's an amazing embarrassment and just the fact that it ever existed as a companion piece to Doctor Who is so bizarre to me.

Sarah Jane Adventures has more respect for the intelligence of its viewers than Torchwood, and it's a kids show.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Not even Children of Earth was redeemable, one of the darkest seasons in BBC television history?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I personally enjoyed Torchwood a lot, but Children of Earth is the only part I will defend as great. The first two seasons, though, I thought were fun (okay, Cyberwoman was terrible, but I liked the cannibal episode). Martha's guest appearance was good, and led to this great exchange.

Android Blues posted:

Also the first episode establishes one of the main cast members as a date rapist, just so you know it's dark and edgy.

Yeah, that was... ugh. I think that writers thought of the chemical Owen used as just sort of a fancy cologne. The writers (Davies, I suppose) didn't think of how, if the person apparently is incapable of resisting, it's something a bit more than that. Owen never again does anything that comes close to rape, so I'm willing to write that off as a out-of-character moment by a crew who hadn't quite nailed down all the characters at that point.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
I always thought Charlie Brooker pretty much nailed Torchwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZYGHd0mdg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, that was... ugh. I think that writers thought of the chemical Owen used as just sort of a fancy cologne.

No, there is zero justification for that scene, it's loving horrible and basically poisoned the well from the first episode. They specifically had her reject his come-ons, not in a "Oh well if I didn't already have a boyfriend..." or "Well I'm tempted..." fashion, but flat out,"No gently caress off I want nothing to do with you" and his reaction was a bored,"I don't have time for this" followed by him spraying her with that nasty poo poo, and then doing it to her boyfriend as well. The fact they treated it as a joke (he rapes a man and a woman because HE decided he wanted to gently caress them and their feelings on the matter meant nothing to him) was despicable, and was a hugely stupid thing for the show to do with a character that doesn't end the episode being mindwiped of his time on the team and kicked out for being a monster. Whether the writers didn't think it through or they hadn't nailed down the characters yet, it was just inexcusable trash and they SHOULD have known better.

gently caress Owen :mad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 19, 2014

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress Owen :mad:

Nobody would willingly, that's why he was using the stuff :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kerbtree posted:

Nobody would willingly, that's why he was using the stuff :v:

Except Gwen. Gwen would gently caress Owen. And then tell her fiance about it. Then wipe her fiance's memory so she faces no consequences.

What I'm saying is that everyone on Torchwood is loving horrible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For some reason, my Dad was watching one of the subtitled seasons of Torchwood. I think because he had Starz and hoped it was original programming like what HBO sells itself on.

When I told him it was related to Doctor Who, he said "well that explains a lot" and quit watching immediately.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I mentioned before on an old Doctor Who discussion thread that I happened to watch Torchwood before Doctor Who...

Really happy that this thread is having Toxxupation (or whatever the name is this week) watch Doctor Who first so he doesn't fall into the same surprise I did when I realized that Torchwood was a very different show from Doctor Who.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

courtney_beth posted:

I mentioned before on an old Doctor Who discussion thread that I happened to watch Torchwood before Doctor Who...

Really happy that this thread is having Toxxupation (or whatever the name is this week) watch Doctor Who first so he doesn't fall into the same surprise I did when I realized that Torchwood was a very different show from Doctor Who.

Torchwood is like if you took all the worst bits of when Davies' era Doctor Who tries to take itself too seriously and then added in bloody violence and sex scenes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lipset and Rock On posted:

I always thought Charlie Brooker pretty much nailed Torchwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZYGHd0mdg

Charlie Brooker is a treasure

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

For some reason, my Dad was watching one of the subtitled seasons of Torchwood. I think because he had Starz and hoped it was original programming like what HBO sells itself on.

When I told him it was related to Doctor Who, he said "well that explains a lot" and quit watching immediately.

Your dad is way smarter than most of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Soothing Vapors posted:

Your dad is way smarter than most of us

My dad is one of those guys who collects old Asimov books, subscribed to Omni in the 80s, still subscribes to Scientific American today, etc. He hates that science-fiction has been tossed into the same (literal and metaphorical) bookshelf as fantasy.

Doctor Who, old or revival, is crap to him because simply accepting the concept of time travel is enough to make him get up and leave the room.

• Locked thread