Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is it safe to upgrade to this? Is the difference between 1066 mhz and 1067 mhz crucial?

There is no difference, they're the same thing. It's two different ways of writing 1066.666... MHz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like they're not improving the design in any way, just making it impossible to upgrade memory down the road. gently caress them.
I kind of accepted it on the laptops because it improves portability in a small way, but there's no excuse on the mini. They didn't shrink it and they didn't put a PCI-E flash memory stick in it. It has all the drawbacks and none of the benefits of "ultraportable" design.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

RAM is encased in a metal enclosure. Why? Beats me.

EMI concerns. Up until recently I was employed on a team designing SoCs for home gateway routers with integrated wifi. We got to see several customer router designs based on our chip and they always put EMI shields over the DRAM. The DDR3 interface is a shitload of GHZ+ digital signals that will interfere with any bluetooth and WiFi radios in close proximity.

quote:

A special carrier is used to hold the hard drive and the SSD. There are separate ports on the logic board for the SATA and Flash drives.

The carrier only has room for one SATA drive and one PCIe Flash drive (so you can have Fusion)

So the key question is whether you get everything you need to install a HDD on a SSD only model, or vice versa. Haven't they played games before with missing brackets if you didn't order dual drive?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

Any clue if the platter drive looks to be reasonably accessible like the old models or will it require a bunch of extra care?

It's more or less the same as it was for prior models, once you get the bottom cover off as was described, there's a bunch of Torx screws to remove the antenna plate and the paper clip to nudge the logic board out of the casing, then the power supply, then the carrier.

It's not like theres suddenly tinier components or more room inside..

If anything, it's more solid because of the carrier holding the drive instead of literally attaching the WiFi antenna to the drive itself, which always bothered me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iFixit's 2014 Mini teardown should reveal that there are two additional WiFi chip antennas in addition to making the antenna plate a whole circle instead of a circle slice as in the 2012 models.

Apple chose to make one of those chip antennas shared by WiFi and Bluetooth, instead of adding a discrete dedicated chip antenna just for Bluetooth as in the earlier models. Probably a cost saving measure.

It's funny how MacSales sells a $5 kit that's literally five cheap tools and a piece of EMI shielding tape that you put on under Apple's EMI stickers right on the combo Airport Bluetooth card; they claim this additional shielding will increase Bluetooth range on 2012 Minis up to 20 feet.

BobHoward posted:

So the key question is whether you get everything you need to install a HDD on a SSD only model, or vice versa. Haven't they played games before with missing brackets if you didn't order dual drive?

With certain iMac models, if you didn't order a Fusion drive, you got a logic board with no PCIe SSD connectors so it wasn't possible to EVER make the machine Fusion compatible.

fleshweasel posted:

..they didn't put a PCI-E flash memory stick in it.

Well, they did. The Late 2014 Mini gets its own line of PCIe flash sticks, made solely for this model (so far) and in capacities up to 1 TB, although I wouldn't pay $800 for the privilege..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 18, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

It's more or less the same as it was for prior models, once you get the bottom cover off as was described, there's a bunch of Torx screws to remove the antenna plate and the paper clip to nudge the logic board out of the casing, then the power supply, then the carrier.

It's not like theres suddenly tinier components or more room inside..

If anything, it's more solid because of the carrier holding the drive instead of literally attaching the WiFi antenna to the drive itself, which always bothered me.
That actually sounds worse since you can swap the old ones by just nudging the board out a little, at least if you have to pull the whole thing out to mess with the carrier.

Binary Badger posted:

Well, they did. The Late 2014 Mini gets its own line of PCIe flash sticks, made solely for this model (so far) and in capacities up to 1 TB, although I wouldn't pay $800 for the privilege..
And this is why I'm just happy the SATA port is still there to swap in a cheap SSD. Course it'll probably be gone if/when they do a redesign, which is probably when I'd buy one v:shobon:v

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just ordered my retina iMac with 3TB fusion drive. With my 2011 iMac, I have a 256GB SSD and a 2TB platter drive, and my normal configuration is to split the SSD into OS X System and Boot Camp, and put my OS X home directory on the platter drive. Two questions:

1. Do we know how large the SSD for the 2014 fusion drives are yet? The older ones were 128GB and that seems crazy small.
2. Is there a way to disable fusion drive completely and recreate my current setup?

I guess three questions. Is it worth attempting to open up the innards and modify the Fusion configuration with off-the-shelf hardware?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

horse mans posted:

1. Do we know how large the SSD for the 2014 fusion drives are yet? The older ones were 128GB and that seems crazy small.

I guess iFixit may help with this question. I'm curious too.

horse mans posted:

2. Is there a way to disable fusion drive completely and recreate my current setup?

I did this, and it's been working fine for 15 months. I have a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD rather than a Fusion drive.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.html

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

binarysmurf posted:

I guess iFixit may help with this question. I'm curious too.

The order details page for my iMac says indeed says "3TB Fusion Dr (3TB+128GBFlash)". Dumb.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oof, no more DIY Fusion drive unless you can source the PCI one.

Also, iFixit has their teardown of the Retina iMac up: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Teardown/30260

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 18, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm a bit bummed about the non quad-core option on the new Minis. I have been considering getting one to drive a Cintiq. I suppose it'll still be fine, but I was hoping to really make it purr.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
If I want to order something with the educational discount of a friend, does she have to order it for me with her Apple account? Can I just order it "for her"? How does Apple check this anyway?

I remember using my own educational discount for my iMac a couple of years ago, and Apple never demanded any proof. Which seemed weird to me.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 18, 2014

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

In-store they asked to see my student ID card, online they never verified in any way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jack's Flow posted:

If I want to order something with the educational discount of a friend, does she have to order it for me with her Apple account? Can I just order it "for her"? How does Apple check this anyway?

I remember using my own educational discount for my iMac a couple of years ago, and Apple never demanded any proof. Which seemed weird to me.

Just find the config you want on prices.appleinsider.com

A lot of times it's cheaper than the edu discount and you don't have to take advantage of a friend.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

eddiewalker posted:

A lot of times it's cheaper than the edu discount and you don't have to take advantage of a friend.

So, what's the deal with the crazy loving discounts that B&H place is listing on that site? Call me cynical, but someone offering $500 off apple store retail on a top-end MBPr throws a few warning flags for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's probably not the current model. After a hardware refresh they discount the older ones, which aren't really that different in speed.

BHPhoto is a legitimate store and I've ordered from them for many years.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

eddiewalker posted:

I'm in Europe. Time to "take advantage of a friend".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to clean my Air's monitor? I don't want to damage it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mu Zeta posted:

BHPhoto is a legitimate store and I've ordered from them for many years.

This. B&H has been around forever and was one of the early shops selling online in the photography market. Was actually thinking of hitting their store in Manhattan when I head up there later today before remembering it's Saturday and they'll be closed.

They do do grey market stuff in at least the photography market (importing from other countries where the item is cheaper but without a U.S. warranty) but it's always clearly labelled as such and not applicable to Apple hardware in any case I think.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's the best way to clean my Air's monitor? I don't want to damage it.
Microfiber cloth/towel. Lightly damp if you need to rub some spit off.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Help

I left my MBPR out at my Mum's house. She is completely incapable of leaving anything alone and when I got in from walking the dog yesterday she told me that she'd given my laptop a good clean. I went to bed and didn't really think much about it.

I went to use the thing about two hours ago and it's screwy as gently caress.

Initially I was in OSX. Whenever I clicked I was getting a command click, most of the keyboard letters weren't working and the trackpad was being a little screwy.

I gave it a little wipe round with a wet cloth because it turns out she used antibacterial wipes intended for cleaning a kitchen. I got a bit of function back temporarily but I rebooted the machine and couldn't type my password due to the problems with the keyboard.

Now if I reboot no matter what I try I get put into a screen asking me to choose a language. If I press up or down I jump straight to the top or bottom of the list, if I hold either of the cmd keys (initially the left one wasn't working) I can go up and down one at a time. The enter button doesn't work. I can click through to the next screen which offers me options relating to my password. I can't work out a way of getting back into OSX.

Right now specifically the v to . keys aren't working and I suspect the screwy behaviour is one of ctrl/cmd/alt keys being 'stuck' down?

Any ideas? I feel like the Apple Store are just going to laugh at me and given me a £600 bill for a new logic board which is terrifying because I really, really cannot afford it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Microfiber cloth/towel. Lightly damp if you need to rub some spit off.

"spit"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fleshweasel posted:

Sounds like they're not improving the design in any way, just making it impossible to upgrade memory down the road. gently caress them.
I kind of accepted it on the laptops because it improves portability in a small way, but there's no excuse on the mini. They didn't shrink it and they didn't put a PCI-E flash memory stick in it. It has all the drawbacks and none of the benefits of "ultraportable" design.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Apple still have big plans for Broadwell vis a vis redesigning the Mini, but it getting delayed threw a wrench in their plans and this was the most cost-effective workaround that they came up with. It needed a refresh after 2 years- for marketing purposes if not for an actual benefit- and using Macbook parts probably made more sense from a cost perspective than getting some fresh quad-core bits for a chassis that they were probably planning to retire next year if not this cycle.

In that light, the RAM switch seems less surprising, though it's definitely a bummer. But I would've bet on them ditching the removable RAM cards with a chassis redesign anyway. Particularly if you think about what Broadwell brings to the table (I know, I need to shut up about this pet theory until it either happens or doesn't).

Cyrano4747 posted:

Call me cynical, but someone offering $500 off apple store retail on a top-end MBPr throws a few warning flags for me.

It might be a refurb but that's honestly not an unreasonable price for a 2012 or even 2013 model. Like Mu Zetaa few people have said, B&H is arguably the single biggest photography/AV specialty retailer. They're about as trustworthy as you can get.

Edit: this is what happens when you post while doing other things

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's probably not the current model. After a hardware refresh they discount the older ones, which aren't really that different in speed.

Yeah, they should really strike through the Apple price or something in that case. You can check what model they are selling by finding the Apple part # on the site and plugging it in to this site: http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

So that top end Macbook is model Z0QC-ME8665 and you find out it's a Late 2013 rMBP that was discontinued in July 2014.

Since B&H is an actual store, they have actual inventory, and they get stuck with it when Apple does a surprise announcement of new hardware. Eventually they have to start dropping the price to get rid of it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

number one pta fan posted:

Right now specifically the v to . keys aren't working and I suspect the screwy behaviour is one of ctrl/cmd/alt keys being 'stuck' down?

Any ideas? I feel like the Apple Store are just going to laugh at me and given me a £600 bill for a new logic board which is terrifying because I really, really cannot afford it.

Clearly she got some liquid into the keyboard and possibly trackpad too. The question is whether it was enough liquid to reach the logic board. If it was just the squeezings from antibacterial wipes, hopefully not? Keyboard/trackpad replacement is a lot more affordable than the logic board.

If you need to log in right now, plug in an external USB keyboard.

If you want to try something which might get the computer working again, get a large plastic bag, put some dry rice inside, shut the computer down, put it in, seal the bag, and leave it for 24 hours. Try to make sure you're not going to get any grains of rice in the ports. The rice will act as a desiccant. You might be able to dry the keyboard out enough for it to work again (or at least work better). The computer really should be taken apart and dried out properly though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Let's discuss whether it's socially acceptable to make someone pay for it when they "clean" your laptop without asking and they damage it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Let's discuss whether it's socially acceptable to make someone pay for it when they "clean" your laptop without asking and they damage it.

Depends if this person was a "dumb bitch" or not.

Wait, was that this thread or the iPhone thread?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

We need at least 2 pages dedicated to this topic, clearly.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

number one pta fan posted:

I had the exact same symptoms with my mbook Air when I cleaned it using eyeglass tissues and some (what I felt was) miniscule amount of lens cleaner fluid which was sprayed just on the tissue. Wiped down the keyboard and trackpad, but apparently wasn't careful enough and soon my Air acted like I had the Command/Alt keys permanently pressed.

On the sort-of upside, 'only' the keyboard and trackpad had to be replaced, I think the total damage was ~$350 :canada:. The downside is that now when it's closed and I'm using it via an external monitor/keyboard, after about 20 minutes the mouse pointer starts ghostly moving by itself until I slightly crack it open - can't say 100% it was only related to the repair job or the damage beforehand as I so rarely used it as a desktop until the past 6 months. Otherwise works fine aside from that hassle.

You can always just take it in and see the damage, they won't charge you for the replacement if you don't authorize it.

Gotta say though I've been far more aggressive in cleaning cheap-rear end PC laptops and never had an issue, albeit no ultrabooks so who knows if they would have fared ever worse. Still thought I was pretty careful though, that's being damned sensitive to moisture.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Probably because how everything is so close and compacted :v:

Apparently there's a bunch of stuff packed in the key assembly.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone placed their order for the retina iMac yet? I'm eager for trip reports.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

fleshweasel posted:

Yes. (Oh poo poo, I stepped in it again.) Though when it's your own mother there are other factors in play.

Anyway, to the issue itself: I'm going to guess the antibacterial wipes contain bleach, and bleach is highly corrosive. If there was enough liquid to get under the keyboard, the keyboard is almost certainly hosed whether it dries out or not (but still dry it out just in case). Like BobHoward I think it's unlikely to have gotten to the logic board though. Normally plugging in an external keyboard and mouse seems like it would answer that question, but if the built in keyboard is stuck giving bad input that throws a wrench in.

Has anyone here ever bought a flashed video card from macvidcards.com?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Choadmaster posted:

Anyway, to the issue itself: I'm going to guess the antibacterial wipes contain bleach, and bleach is highly corrosive. If there was enough liquid to get under the keyboard, the keyboard is almost certainly hosed whether it dries out or not (but still dry it out just in case). Like BobHoward I think it's unlikely to have gotten to the logic board though. Normally plugging in an external keyboard and mouse seems like it would answer that question, but if the built in keyboard is stuck giving bad input that throws a wrench in.
Hook up an an external display and keep the mbook closed, that may work as a test.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

Has anyone placed their order for the retina iMac yet? I'm eager for trip reports.

Yes.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

C'mon, where's the drama?

How long until it gets there? Are you excited? Did you clear off space on your desk so it's ready for this gorgeous piece of tech? How's your boner? If UPS leaves it on the porch and the neighbor's dog pees on it, is it ok to force the dog to pay for it? Or should your neighbor pay for it? Or UPS?

Edit: dammit, I thought that was your trip report; wrong poster though.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 19, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

What's to report? I bought the most retarded maxed out retinal iMac and I can't loving wait.

Gratuitous action shot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Hook up an an external display and keep the mbook closed, that may work as a test.

If the display is closed does it actually ignore input from the built-in keyboard?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

horse mans posted:

What's to report? I bought the most retarded maxed out retinal iMac and I can't loving wait.

Gratuitous action shot:

Should've gotten internal flash memory instead of wasting cash on a fusion drive :colbert:

I don't get Apple's pricing anymore. Aside from better GPU options and processor upgrades, the Retina iMac seems like a ridiculously good deal over a similarly-specced Mac Pro and you get a decently-sized 5k display to go with. Why haven't Mac Pro prices gone down? Like the only thing I can think of that would be a problem here is the single GPU trying to drive a 5k display and anything else that uses the GPU.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

horse mans posted:

Gratuitous action shot:

This is excellent forums poster horse mans.

Choadmaster posted:

C'mon, where's the drama?

How long until it gets there? Are you excited? Did you clear off space on your desk so it's ready for this gorgeous piece of tech? How's your boner? If UPS leaves it on the porch and the neighbor's dog pees on it, is it ok to force the dog to pay for it? Or should your neighbor pay for it? Or UPS?

Edit: dammit, I thought that was your trip report; wrong poster though.

It's coming by the end of the month, but I hope they're lying and it's earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

1st AD posted:

Should've gotten internal flash memory instead of wasting cash on a fusion drive :colbert:

I don't get Apple's pricing anymore. Aside from better GPU options and processor upgrades, the Retina iMac seems like a ridiculously good deal over a similarly-specced Mac Pro and you get a decently-sized 5k display to go with. Why haven't Mac Pro prices gone down? Like the only thing I can think of that would be a problem here is the single GPU trying to drive a 5k display and anything else that uses the GPU.

The fusion drive is an internal SSD though. Plus a HDD.

The CPUs in the Mac Pro are way better (and pricier) than the iMac's, and the dual GPUs in the Pro are insanely expensive (someone correct me but last I looked I think they were around $1300 each, though maybe they're cheaper). It's nothing like the iMac, hardware-wise.

Right now I'm torn between spending $600 to upgrade the ancient gpu in my 2009 Mac Pro or just saving up for another year and getting the 2nd gen retina iMac though.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 19, 2014