Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

To everyone saying firearms are horrible try not resetting the game repeatedly you stupid idiot shits and you may find you are wrong!!

Nah, they're not wrong. I'm going to finish my current run with my gun alchemist, but if I ever do another play-through all the bullets I find are going in the dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, even the best firearms are inferior to other alternatives unfortunately. I just ended up having my 5-rank firearms alchemist throw bombs in tough fights. They're fine for normal fights, though.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Can anyone tell me how to get in here: (pyramid B1) http://imgur.com/J8mYAnu.jpg ?

vv All the holes are directly above the room I'm in already in the image. I'm trying to get into the room behind a metal grate with what looks like a crystal shard of healing and a wooden chest.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 19, 2014

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just beat the boss of the mushroom dungeon with no losses but lost my wizard running away from all the big mushrooms, then got trapped between two of them in the corridor out of the boss area. I managed to fight my way out but lost two more guys in the process, leaving just my poisoned knight. Quaffing a health potion I just barely made it out of the dungeon and started beelining for the nearest crystal to res and heal before the poison could kill me. Then a loving fly swarm shows up. They move too fast to outrun and without my mage to just oneshot them with fireblast I had to try melee them with my knight, but couldn't hit them. They finished him off and now I have to start the dungeon over again. God drat it. I was so close.

edit: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I just found the crystal that was INSIDE that dungeon, in a room I didn't get around to unlocking before stumbling on the boss. I could have made it. :argh:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 19, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kobogartimer posted:

Can anyone tell me how to get in here: (pyramid B1) http://imgur.com/J8mYAnu.jpg ?

Fall down one of the holes on the last row in the room above.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I just got to an ending, but I don't think it's THE ending.

Here's my current stats:

I ran with a Minotaur Barbarian, Heavy Weapons and Heavy Armor, and a Human Knight started with light weapons but moved to heavy weapons and heavy armor in the front row.
In the back row I had aRat Alchemist using firearms, bombs and some fire magic at the end, and a Human Wizard using all four elements but mostly fire in the back row.

Alchemist was great because of the free crystal flowers each of which lets you make a +stat potion. Plus lots of free health potions and more mana potions than I could ever use.

I currently have 3 unused gold keys (I've skipped a lot of vaults) and 6 unused lockpicks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think what this game really captures, better than anything else I've played since at least Skyrim, is the visceral enjoyment of exploration. There are so many secrets and discoveries, that I don't even feel bad about the ones I know I must be missing, because there are just so many things to find.

And a decent number of them are legitimately useful to your adventures. The game almost defies the concept of vendor trash. I can use nearly everything I pick up. I even horde rocks, Rocks! Because they're so drat useful.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Yay, beat the game got the good ending! (Heavy Wep/Heavy Armor Mino Barb, Light DW Wep/Heavy Armor Mino Knight, Firearms Rat Alchemist, Fire/Air Insectoid Mage)

There's an achievement called Have a Gneiss Time for "defeating the summon stones", anyone have a clue where that is?

Also never did find the Crystal leggings...

By the way, earth magic seems like it could be good if you found a certain staff early that gives 20% bonus damage to earth spells. Without that though, it does seem pretty bad.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 19, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

BattleHamster posted:

Yay, beat the game got the good ending!

There's an achievement called Have a Gneiss Time for "defeating the summon stones", anyone have a clue where that is?

Yeah. Its hidden around the shrine of entanglement.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Any hint possible for Path of the Eagle(in Lexiconary)?

I've tried firing ammo across the gap(since I can't see whether or not there are pressure plates on the opposite side, top level. I feel like I've looked at the walls for hidden buttons but haven't found any.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cuntpunch posted:

I've tried firing ammo across the gap(since I can't see whether or not there are pressure plates on the opposite side, top level. I feel like I've looked at the walls for hidden buttons but haven't found any.

Take a leap of faith.

(I literally just did that but don't know where to go now.)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Jordan7hm posted:

Take a leap of faith.

(I literally just did that but don't know where to go now.)

Thank you. I had tried that but only after you repeating it did I realize the logic to the puzzle.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a general question. My map is filled with little bits and pieces that seem to be accessible areas that I just haven't figured out how to reach.

Example (linked because of possible spoilers, I guess):
http://imgur.com/1AU0Rly

Before I spend way too much time searching for some hidden lever somewhere, am I right in assuming that every portion of the map that isn't solidly drawn is a secret waiting to be discovered?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

Hint: How would an eagle get to the other side?

Hint 2: Look down

Full disclosure: A pathway will appear in the air if you walk along the path where you are the furthest from the ground

*edit* I should refresh before replying *edit*

Jay Rust posted:

I have a general question. My map is filled with little bits and pieces that seem to be accessible areas that I just haven't figured out how to reach.

Example (linked because of possible spoilers, I guess):
http://imgur.com/1AU0Rly

Before I spend way too much time searching for some hidden lever somewhere, am I right in assuming that every portion of the map that isn't solidly drawn is a secret waiting to be discovered?

Im pretty sure this is false, I believe the mapping system just draws any tiles you get close enough to. There likely is an open space there, but it probably doesn't contain a secret nor is it accessable.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 19, 2014

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Full spoiler:
Starting from the top level, follow the path of the trench below.

Full spoiler for the bit just after it (the disguised path):

Follow the ground tiles (trench or floor) with the big brick pattern (i.e. not the little cobblestones one)

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I honestly can't figure out even where to start in the "Tomb of Sacrifices" (In the pyramid)

I've found the secret button that redirects the fireball... but that's about it

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Kobogartimer posted:

vv All the holes are directly above the room I'm in already in the image. I'm trying to get into the room behind a metal grate with what looks like a crystal shard of healing and a wooden chest.

In response to your edit, look closer, theres a note on the floor of that room that says as much.

Grilox posted:

I honestly can't figure out even where to start in the "Tomb of Sacrifices" (In the pyramid)

the door where the fireball redirects to should look alot like a door you've seen (and opened) before

Jay Rust posted:

Would it be to spoilerific if I asked someone to recommend which areas to progress through in which order? I'm several hours into the game, and I'm surprised by how nonlinear it is. I should probably explore on my own, but I'm scared :(

I started thinking about this and its really hard to come up with a recommended order, I would go Shipwreck -> Twigroot -> River -> Sleet -> Bog/Ruins and then after that you can pretty much do any of the other areas based on what you think looks cool.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 19, 2014

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

BattleHamster posted:

In response to your edit, look closer, theres a note on the floor of that room that says as much.

Oh, okay thanks. I picked that note up and forgot where it was from after I finished the rest of the dungeon.

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

Grilox posted:

I got stuck on this one too. Use your snake staff like you did at the entrance

Fantastic game overall. I was really impressed with how big the map was and how excited I was whenever I got to a new area to explore. Great job j. peeba and Almost Human!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ok so I've got four elemental orbs, but I still haven't opened the hub in keelbreach bog

How do I progress in this god drat marsh?

nevermind I'm an idiot and did not look thorough enough for ladders

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 19, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

DrManiac posted:

Can anyone give me a hint on where to go next I just got all three shards in the sewer/archive area

Anywhere is good. Crystal Mines is a bit ruthless but the Pyramid is good too. I also hit up the last level of the Cemetery.

Side question, how did you get the shard in the south east of the sewers and into the reservoir?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Malek posted:

Side question, how did you get the shard in the south east of the sewers and into the reservoir?

Hint 1: It's button activated

Hint 2: Try looking down

Full disclosure: It's in the spike pit. looking into the pit from the ladder its on the wall of the column to your right. If you have a torch or the light spell you should be able to just barely see it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm eyeballing a stupid same race same traits gimmick party for the patch. My current outlook is DEX Dual wield Rogue (and hoping I find enough decent daggers), and STR Heavy weapon Barbarian front as a given, And one Wizard in the back.

This leaves me wondering what Melee type to give STR Rear Row Reach Fighter (double barbarian is likely smarter, but I want some class variety for melee perks). Would it be more convenient to give them hand me down heavy weapons once the barbarian is done with them, or to give any STR based light weapons to them for the full spread of looted melee weapon types being used?

Also would rear melee guy work out just as well as "Screw it, Alchemist" even if I never touch firearms for eventually grabbing alchemist skill once they are passable at melee from the back row?

EDIT: vvv Thanks for the insight, first time through the sequel outside of a short ways into the start. As for making the Wizard the Alchemist, that means less points in SPELLS! Also he's going to need all the help he can get in concentration. For reasons. Backup STR Melee dealing in Alchemy also means he can handle carrying more ingredients, which is why in the first game I stopped having my wizard mix potions and put that job onto my throwing rogue.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 19, 2014

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Section Z posted:

I'm eyeballing a stupid same race same traits gimmick party for the patch. My current outlook is DEX Dual wield Rogue (and hoping I find enough decent daggers), and STR Heavy weapon Barbarian front as a given, And one Wizard in the back.

This leaves me wondering what Melee type to give STR Rear Row Reach Fighter (double barbarian is likely smarter, but I want some class variety for melee perks). Would it be more convenient to give them hand me down heavy weapons once the barbarian is done with them, or to give any STR based light weapons to them for the full spread of looted melee weapon types being used?

Also would rear melee guy work out just as well as "Screw it, Alchemist" even if I never touch firearms for eventually grabbing alchemist skill once they are passable at melee from the back row?

IMO all the heavy weapons are cool and fun while all the STR light weapons are lame. You should do a crit guy in the back using the scythe and just make him all crit since he doesn't need to tank any damage. :)

If this is your second time through, the alchemist passive ability to grow herbs likely won't be as good because you will be able to get through the game faster and without as much trouble. Its hard to say if it will work out just as well though. Honestly I would try making your mage the alchemist since you're already making 3/4 of your damage melee ranged.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Can someone spoiler me as to where to look for a lightning bolt scroll? I'm stuck on the 'runemaster' puzzle in the swamp cave, figured out what to do but missing the third spell.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Man, gently caress this room.

I'm on the third layer down of the crypts, there's a room that says 'the door won't open till all light in the room is void' so you gotta walk around on these magic bridges that vanish behind you and get everyone before you reach the end and I see the idea of the room but actually doing it is like god drat what the gently caress.

Also I dunno why you guys think your alchemist has to use guns. Mine uses dex weapons.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I think I found one way later, but the spells in these games have a logic to them. All the "bolt" spells are somewhat similar. Look up the runes in the manual and see if you can figure it out.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

brotip, lightning bolt is an air spell and starts with the same rune as flashing lightning.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok, I don't get the Follow the Light tip in that one scroll, has it got something to do with which tiles light up with that teleporting puzzle and the spider?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Cascade Failure posted:

Can someone spoiler me as to where to look for a lightning bolt scroll? I'm stuck on the 'runemaster' puzzle in the swamp cave, figured out what to do but missing the third spell.

It's in the graveyard. But you do know that you don't need to have the scroll in order to do the puzzle, right?

evilmiera posted:

Ok, I don't get the Follow the Light tip in that one scroll, has it got something to do with which tiles light up with that teleporting puzzle and the spider?

Its just telling you where you should drop him. Where the torch is downstairs.

Motherfucker posted:

Man, gently caress this room.

I'm on the third layer down of the crypts, there's a room that says 'the door won't open till all light in the room is void' so you gotta walk around on these magic bridges that vanish behind you and get everyone before you reach the end and I see the idea of the room but actually doing it is like god drat what the gently caress.

Also I dunno why you guys think your alchemist has to use guns. Mine uses dex weapons.

It's pretty cool because then there's also a bunch of puzzles where you have no idea what to do and when you figure it out its super simple. The puzzles in both this game and the original are on another level from anything you usually see in video games.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 19, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Just drop stuff on the lit up pressure plates god drat gently caress poo poo

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well I've run into the first puzzle that's got me stumped. How do I get this big door in the cemetery open? It and the stupid cross block puzzle in front of it are making me feel dumb. :saddowns:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Well I've run into the first puzzle that's got me stumped. How do I get this big door in the cemetery open? It and the stupid cross block puzzle in front of it are making me feel dumb. :saddowns:

The solution to that puzzle is in a different area, if you find the solution and are still having trouble check my thread history because I got stuck on "the stupid cross block puzzle". In case its unclear, the block puzzle is what opens the door.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 19, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I figured out that room. Spoilers if anyone else is stuck:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I started up a new game on hard to put all my mechanics abuse into practice. I made a beeline for the Ruins of Desarune to get the exp necklace on the other side and I'm utterly wrecking poo poo in there at level 5. Here's my bizarro party and intended skill distribution:

Lizardman Barbarian
Strength and Dexterity
Endure Elements and Aggressive
5 Heavy Weapons
5 Armor
3 Dodge
2 Accuracy

With 50% base resists, heavy armor, and barbarian HP progression, this guy is a ridiculous tank. I won't need more hp, so I ignored vit in favor of some extra accuracy with dex. Everything else is focused on pure damage (the 10% cooldown decrease on dodge is one of the best damage skills you can get).

Human Farmer
Strength and Vitality
Fast Learner and Skilled
5 Heavy Weapons
4-5 Water Magic
4-5 Armor
3 Concentration
2-4 Accuracy
1 Air Magic
0-1 Earth Magic

How high I can get my skills will depend on just how many levels I can push this farmer to (which should be quite high with all the bonus exp). She's a secondary heavy weapons user, front line tank, and support mage all in one. I'm focusing on melee first, so coming up short on points isn't likely to be a huge detriment.

Insectoid Rogue
Dexterity and Vitality
Quick and Aggressive
5 Light Weapons
5 Critical
3 Dodge
2 Accuracy

I wanted a dex character because there are only so many +strength items and potions to go around, so I made this one a no frills back row melee rogue. I chose insectoid because the Quick trait more than makes up for the dex penalty. Missile weapons are weak so I didn't base the character around them, but I still keep a bow on weapon set two to use unskilled when I'm not in melee range.

Minotaur Alchemist
Strength and Dexterity
Headhunter and Aggressive
5 Alchemy
5 Throwing
3 Dodge
2 Accuracy

A back row minotaur shouldn't need extra vit (and alchemists have above average hp progression anyway), so I put points into dex for better accuracy. If I don't need the tomes of wisdom for my farmer, I may use them for more accuracy or to put a couple points into crit.

---

So far, this party is shaping up even better than I hoped. The minotaur dishes out some serious punishment, and with ice bolts and supplementary missile fire added, the party's ranged capabilities are pretty substantial considering three of them are melee fighters. Up close, their raw damage potential is almost as high as you can get. The alchemist keeps my herbs stocked for potions and bombs, which I think is a fair trade off for the slightly higher damage he could do if I'd gone rogue instead. The farmer is picking up water magic because it's a slightly lower point investment than fire/air, and freezing enemies should be on par with meteor storm in such a high damage party.

I can't wait to see how this plays out as these guys level up more.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I think having a dex character is the right call, even if strength is better generally you need somewhere to put +dex stuff.

Does +XP bonuses help farmers too?

Could you remind me where the XP necklace is? I found it on my first team but can't remember where and I want to try this out

Morholt fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 19, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Honestly, strength and dex dual wield are pretty drat close to each other anyway, and the other three characters are all gonna fight over strength gear, so it was kind of an obvious choice.

I tested it and yes farmers gain the full benefit of any exp bonuses. I have the exp neck on my alchemist, then just switch it to the farmer when it's time to eat. :v: I sorta cheated a bit and grabbed the exp neck from behind the gold key door in the flooded dungeon that I'm not supposed to know how to get to yet, but I'm on my way to the second one in the house of needles or whatever it's called (near the hub teleport in the hamlet).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wouldn't it make sense to make your farmer a ratling so he can get tons of extra stats from Mutation, or is the extra exp for Humans really good for them?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Morholt posted:

Could you remind me where the XP necklace is? I found it on my first team but can't remember where and I want to try this out

There are actually 2 of them, there's the one seorin is talking about (can't remember the exact location) and then there's one that requires a gold key in The Vaults behind to the temple of water. Theres a gold key underwater in the same location, so it's pretty easy to get. I think the specific prize room is the called The Glass Vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

j.peeba please make the newly created herbs from the Alchemist's ability stack with the old ones automatically.

• Locked thread