Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Smash Daisaku posted:

Currently in a vault with the following:

1) A room with a human, elf, kobold, and something else that also had chunks of their appropriate meat.
2) A beef jerky store.
3) This store:

code:
a + 18 gold a potion of porridge
b - 45 gold a +0 whip
c + 18 gold a potion of porridge
d - 45 gold a +0 whip
e - 45 gold a +0 whip
f + 18 gold a potion of porridge
g - 270 gold a wand of enslavement (13)
h - 324 gold a wand of enslavement (16)
i - 171 gold a +0 vampiric whip
j - 45 gold a +0 whip

You have 3408 gold pieces.
Welcome to Lussoxt's Slaves and Accessories! What would you like to do?
What the hell did I random teleport into?

E: also there are slaves closed in by grates.

It's "grated_community_mu", a vault that's supposed to be like a miniature town, with a few custom shops, as well as other features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

It's "grated_community_mu", a vault that's supposed to be like a miniature town, with a few custom shops, as well as other features.

This is the most hosed-up town I've ever seen, but I appreciate their dedication to slaves and beef jerky.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Brannock posted:

I actually agree. Right now there's very minimal risk to doing Labyrinths, especially with the prevalence of permafood. The food clock isn't a sufficient pressure to completing Labs.

Having the floor open beneath you and drop you into the Eternal Abyss would be a sufficient "GET YOUR rear end MOVING!" threat.
That's kinda neat, but I'm personally fond of the idea of the minotaur being more of a very dangerous threat hunting you throughout the labyrinth-as in he is too difficult for most characters to take on safely and is always moving, and you get audio messages like "You hear the low, heavy snorting of an animal somewhere nearby" telling you how close you are to him to help you avoid running into him. Possibly even directional ones like "You hear [minotaur sound] from the north/south/east/west very close/nearby/far away".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
What if the outside edges of the labyrinth are Abyss-corrupted, and you have to race to the centre before the corruption spreads to it and forces you to fight the Minotaur and nearby Abyss spawns at the same time? Then you get the race against time and the constant pressure.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
What should I do as a SpEn in the Snake Pit? Since everything has started to resist sleep, I've been going invisible, but that obviously won't work here. Should I just try for another rune?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it is probably a bad idea for crawl to seriously test players' maze-solving skills. crawl is a game about tactical combat and strategic resource management, not mazes.

the lab's layout should be a thematic & different context to tactical combat, not a deadly threat in itself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I have never had this good a start before. Just started playing with Vine Stalkers, too. :stare: Neither of those randarts are Trog gifts. Probably my reward for upgrading from .12 to .15.

e: OH GOD I DRANK A POTION AND NOW IM A TREE

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 20, 2014

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

What should I do as a SpEn in the Snake Pit? Since everything has started to resist sleep, I've been going invisible, but that obviously won't work here. Should I just try for another rune?

Yeah, I would do another rune first, but confusion and dazzling spray both work fantastically on Snake Pit denizens.

What the hell is wrong with me. I can't stop trying to win at some sort of Sprint. I always get close to the end and then loving owned. Last one was zigsprint with a formicid fighter of TSO wearing Maxwell's and the shield of the gong. I thought that would really get me somewhere :(

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 20, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Scrolls of immolation are really good and .15 is really good and the dungeon is beautiful and I am not afraid to die :black101:

e: and so I did after peeking into the Elven Halls and some annihilator one-shotted me.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

PleasingFungus posted:

it is probably a bad idea for crawl to seriously test players' maze-solving skills. crawl is a game about tactical combat and strategic resource management, not mazes.

the lab's layout should be a thematic & different context to tactical combat, not a deadly threat in itself.
As long as they remain completely optional adding in more types of play should be fine..?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

As long as they remain completely optional adding in more types of play should be fine..?

hypothetically, imagine if crawl added a portal vault that gated powerful treasure & rewards behind a puzzle game completely unrelated to crawl. let's say, eh - completely arbitrarily, maybe it's a game of sokoban, pushing around extra-large rocks or s/t. also, if you take too long solving the puzzle, the game banishes you to the abyss.

just imagine...

even if it's "completely optional", putting rewards inside means that mastering this style of play (which has nothing to do with crawl otherwise!) becomes important for winning. (and if there aren't rewards inside, what's the point...?)

basically, labs are already on pretty shaky ground; trying to double down on the 'maze puzzle' part of them, instead of the 'hungry ghosts/trapdoor spiders/murder minotaur' part, seems very unwise.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Cicadalek posted:

On top of Confuse and Dazzling Spray as someone else mentioned, some source of direct damage would probably help; I ran mine with Mystic Blast to take out dangerous threats. Watch out for anacondas as well. If you see one you need to either have an emergency kill button or an emergency escape button because you won't be able to outrun it without buffs, and its constriction will kill you if you get in a prolonged fight. Relying on Confuse/Sleep/Dazzling Spray + stabbing against them may be fatal if you get too many bad rolls. Everything else can be lured out and taken out one by one.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

pathetic little tramp posted:

I've always thought banishment should scale a little. If you get banished by a kobold or some other low-HD enemy who happens to have distortion, you have a better rate of exits spawning. Though I'm sure that's next to impossible to code, it would make the Abyss less of crapshoot and more of a survival test.

This should be pretty easy to code actually, there's already code in place to improve exit spawn rate if you worship lugonu, in this case you'd just use a monsters HD on top of checking for Lugonu, having the Abyss rune, etc.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

hypothetically, imagine if crawl added a portal vault that gated powerful treasure & rewards behind a puzzle game completely unrelated to crawl. let's say, eh - completely arbitrarily, maybe it's a game of sokoban, pushing around extra-large rocks or s/t. also, if you take too long solving the puzzle, the game banishes you to the abyss.

just imagine...

even if it's "completely optional", putting rewards inside means that mastering this style of play (which has nothing to do with crawl otherwise!) becomes important for winning. (and if there aren't rewards inside, what's the point...?)

basically, labs are already on pretty shaky ground; trying to double down on the 'maze puzzle' part of them, instead of the 'hungry ghosts/trapdoor spiders/murder minotaur' part, seems very unwise.

That's what I like about my "Abyss bleeding in from the edges" idea. You can basically do the labyrinth as normal but the meaningless food clock is now replaced with a meaningful Abyss clock, and if you're having a hell of a time figuring the labyrinth out, welp, you can use the already useful "survive in the Abyss" skillset to just follow the Abyss into the centre, gank the Minotaur, and escape with whatever loot you can grab before the zymes and other critters get you!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

PleasingFungus posted:

just imagine...

That makes sense, but (regardless of this specific idea) I like the idea that the game gets more sprawled out, more options, more "stuff" to see for uniqueness/flavor on different playthroughs, etc... Especially in the layout/levels/items/creatures. It adds a lot for people playing a hundred times without ever seeing Zot. Adding in things like the bakers (as an example) is a great direction, and I think there should be more and more variety that lets people go "oh poo poo! whats that?" as they play.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Maybe Labyrinth could have some traps that you have to dodge, like gouts of fire on a timer, a net that falls on you followed by some skeletons coming out of the wall, Indiana Jones boulder trap. All stuff with escape and bypass options. Another option is to make loot dependent on how long it takes to get to the Minotaur. Like, if you take forever, you get what the loot is now, but if you get there in a hurry you might get a few extra items, or maybe the loot is weighted towards better results. I don't know how loot is spawned (I assume on first entering the floor), but you could have the items drop when you open the door to the Minotaur room, so you still have a stealthy loot option. Otherwise you could just have bullface drop the poo poo when he dies, or there's a chest nearby.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not particularly attached to labyrinths surviving in any form, honestly. I'm sure creating a portal branch from scratch is a ton of work (what with them all being hand-made vaults) but I think replacing labs would benefit the game (though it might not be worth the dev time/effort compared to other tasks).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pvt.Scott posted:

Maybe Labyrinth could have some traps that you have to dodge, like gouts of fire on a timer, a net that falls on you followed by some skeletons coming out of the wall, Indiana Jones boulder trap. All stuff with escape and bypass options. Another option is to make loot dependent on how long it takes to get to the Minotaur. Like, if you take forever, you get what the loot is now, but if you get there in a hurry you might get a few extra items, or maybe the loot is weighted towards better results. I don't know how loot is spawned (I assume on first entering the floor), but you could have the items drop when you open the door to the Minotaur room, so you still have a stealthy loot option. Otherwise you could just have bullface drop the poo poo when he dies, or there's a chest nearby.

Sometimes finding the Minotaur has nothing to do with how "good" you are at running labyrinths, it's just dumb luck and weird placement.

Labyrinths are a fun, temporary distraction that's different from core gameplay already. Don't gently caress them up with this weird poo poo!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

BigFactory posted:

Sometimes finding the Minotaur has nothing to do with how "good" you are at running labyrinths, it's just dumb luck and weird placement.

Labyrinths are a fun, temporary distraction that's different from core gameplay already. Don't gently caress them up with this weird poo poo!

I just find Lab frustrating and boring in its current form, as I usually get stuck on progressing through the maze until a wall changes somewhere and I can get to the next part. Not very compelling to me, but it is an optional side thing.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The interesting part of Labyrinths is that the minotaur is a pretty strong monster who may have picked up stuff from the loot pile, which makes him an interesting fight for most characters with early Labs. If you can AATab him or you get a late lab it's less interesting, but at least wandering through labs is infinitely better than lategame abyss.

If you'd change anything I'd say make earlier labs more common or scale the end fight up slightly if they appear later.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I think the lab is vaguely neat but it's just so goddamn easy relative to how strong the loot is. I definitely agree about scaling up the minotaur. Basically the only time it's ever been an issue was when the lab took me 20 minutes for some reason and I was so bored I literally walked straight into the minotaur and died on a SpEn. Otherwise it's basically a value pit (including usually a rod) at the cost of one consumable, maybe.

The minotaur should be a unique with at least SInv. Put some teeth into the poor guy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Throw Icicle seems really fuckin good for a level 4 spell.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

paranoid randroid posted:

Throw Icicle seems really fuckin good for a level 4 spell.

It really does do more damage than a level 4 spell has any right to. Now shut up before they nerf it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's kinda critical for IEs imo, given that there are way too many early monsters that just don't give a single gently caress about cold (ice beasts, literally anything undead) and Freeze/Throw Frost are not at all useful against such enemies. FEs are pretty much golden since very little just shrugs off fire in the early game, EEs do physical damage so enemy AC and positioning are their only real concerns there, and AEs are pinball wizards who get buffs and electrical damage so they have everything they need to die spectacularly to killer bees.

If Throw Icicle gets nerfed there is basically no reason at all to go IE instead of starting Cj and gradually branching into ice, is what I'm saying.

e: gnoll with a spear of venom on D:1. Okay

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 20, 2014

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
FE and EE not only have more useful damage types, their utility spells are escape/distance (cflame, swift) and big melee range damage (sticky, static). This means when these guys have a tough encounter they either skip away merrily or just kill it. IE has the pleasure of being pounded to death slightly more slowly, provided they have memorized and recently cast 7 levels of spell buffs.

There's also really no reason to go IE over Cj even without an icicle nerf. Freeze is the best level 1 spell in the game but it might as well put a neon sign over your head reading UNDEAD CHOW. Cj's dazzling spray might not keep a monster at bay but it will stall long enough for your battlesphere to take care of business.

IE is also the only wizard start lacking any multi-target spell. You're basically shoehorned into Sif and ice beasts unless you have spell luck early.

e: Here is a challenge. If someone can design a reasonable replacement for Condensation shield using existing game mechanics I can probably code and submit it. A single square freezing cloud at level 4 or 5 would be one idea, although I think that would be too powerful and derivative of FE.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 20, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IEs also have the option of going the transmuter or skald routes with a much stronger start. Why do you think Sif is necessary to enjoy Summon Ice Beast, anyway?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Araganzar posted:

FE and EE not only have more useful damage types, their utility spells are escape/distance (cflame, swift) and big melee range damage (sticky, static). This means when these guys have a tough encounter they either skip away merrily or just kill it. IE has the pleasure of being pounded to death slightly more slowly, provided they have memorized and recently cast 7 levels of spell buffs.

There's also really no reason to go IE over Cj even without an icicle nerf. Freeze is the best level 1 spell in the game but it might as well put a neon sign over your head reading UNDEAD CHOW. Cj's dazzling spray might not keep a monster at bay but it will stall long enough for your battlesphere to take care of business.

IE is also the only wizard start lacking any multi-target spell. You're basically shoehorned into Sif and ice beasts unless you have spell luck early.

e: Here is a challenge. If someone can design a reasonable replacement for Condensation shield using existing game mechanics I can probably code and submit it. A single square freezing cloud at level 4 or 5 would be one idea, although I think that would be too powerful and derivative of FE.

What about some sort of Ice Shards spell that does damage to one (or possibly multiple) users when they move a la manticores?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
IE is not the strongest conjurer start. (That's probably Cj, unsurprisingly.)

IE is, however, one of the strongest book starts.

This is not a problem.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ugly John posted:

What about some sort of Ice Shards spell that does damage to one (or possibly multiple) users when they move a la manticores?

Spikicle.

My suggestion was Encasement, which did minor ice damage and gave the same side effect as Glaciate - slowed movement. Single target.

E: or call it Gelation. It's a word! And a suitable one.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 20, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Araganzar posted:

What about a mid-ranged spell that "summons" a spire of ice made up of Glaciate-esque ice blocks? The ice is short-lived and doesn't block vision, but it's smite-targeted and affects an area a few squares across, meaning you can use it to throw up a protective obstacle and flee, encase a single opponent in ice and quickly prepare while they smash through, or even briefly entomb yourself to buy time to heal up or teleport away while enemies break into your icy panic shelter. It wouldn't work so great in melee since you'd still be in melee, but it'd be a godsend against ranged packs and very good in general if used strategically.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Early undead, aside from the necrophage, are either fragile or they're slower than you. By the time you run into packs of wights you have your Ice Shard spell castable so you can stair kite and kill each one without too much trouble. The only other major difficulty are ice beasts which you shouldn't be engaging unless you have an alternative form of attack, like wands of flame/fire.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-1377-g5fe55b6 (webtiles) character file.

bananaken the Firebug (Mummy Fire Elementalist)     Turns: 6871, Time: 00:24:50

Health: 50/50      AC:  3    Str: 11    XL:     7   Next: 58%
Magic:  14/14      EV: 12    Int: 16    God:    
Gold:   239        SH:  0    Dex: 12    Spells: 3 memorised, 5 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     s - +8 battleaxe of the Inferno {chop, rF++}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     n - +0 robe
rNeg   + + +     SustAb   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     (no helmet)
rElec  .         Spirit   .     (no cloak)
rCorr  .         Warding  .     j - +0 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (no boots)
MR     .....                    f - amulet of clarity
Stlth  ++........               (no ring)
                                (no ring)
I decided to do MuFE forthe heck of it, and by D:4 I got an amulet of clarity and that sweet battleaxe. This seems like ridiculously good luck, but how do I take advantage of it? I'm still a mummy :shrug:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bananaken/bananaken.txt

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Become a Conjure/Sticky Flame hybrid? Get those down to decent casting success, axe the rest?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Araganzar posted:

I don't know that there's actually a problem with CS except that it's so annoying to use it's practically useless. It fits a niche that no other spell does and synergizes with the rest of the spell book really well. If it was changed to be like rMsl where it was permanently up until you took a certain number of hits I'd pick it up on almost every hybrid.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah that is my problem with IE in general, they are clearly strong but it is super annoying to actually leverage that strength. Of all the annoying charms, ozo's, cshield, and stoneskin might just be the worst.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

IE is not the strongest conjurer start. (That's probably Cj, unsurprisingly.)

IE is, however, one of the strongest book starts.

Cj is strong for experienced players but most players would find FE easier to progress with. It gives you more "uh-oh" spells, and Sticky Flame is amazing and simple to use.

What's the book start for on IE? Support for 2H melee or branching into Summoning? Spells shouldn't be a big issue. Either you are doing a conjurer start, and are getting spells from Sif or Vehumet, or you are doing a non-standard IE start and presumably are obtaining other methods to deal with problematical encounters.

Condensation Shield looks cool now that it's spellpower based and blocks ranged, but it's fairly worthless to a caster. The second they find a buckler it's going on because it's a practically free equip in Ozo's level armour, can offer resists or other egos, and doesn't cost mana to maintain. So it's essentially dead space to a conjurer. I'd like to see something more casty in Frost.

Glaciate-like effects could be cool but it would be hard to balance as a non-caster support spell. But as a short-lived entombment or slow on a single target it might work. Another form of that that might work is short-lived blocks in 1-8 spaces around you (random based on spellpower) like the Tomb card. Even if that's too much it might be a cool spell for a higher level book. Stuff like that would be easier to code because there is already an existing spell (Glaciate) that generates the effect, so the code is in there already to do it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

apple posted:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-1377-g5fe55b6 (webtiles) character file.

bananaken the Firebug (Mummy Fire Elementalist)     Turns: 6871, Time: 00:24:50

Health: 50/50      AC:  3    Str: 11    XL:     7   Next: 58%
Magic:  14/14      EV: 12    Int: 16    God:    
Gold:   239        SH:  0    Dex: 12    Spells: 3 memorised, 5 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     s - +8 battleaxe of the Inferno {chop, rF++}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     n - +0 robe
rNeg   + + +     SustAb   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     (no helmet)
rElec  .         Spirit   .     (no cloak)
rCorr  .         Warding  .     j - +0 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (no boots)
MR     .....                    f - amulet of clarity
Stlth  ++........               (no ring)
                                (no ring)
I decided to do MuFE forthe heck of it, and by D:4 I got an amulet of clarity and that sweet battleaxe. This seems like ridiculously good luck, but how do I take advantage of it? I'm still a mummy :shrug:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bananaken/bananaken.txt

Mummy with clarity is basically invincible in tomb, go tomb. And yes that's a beautiful battleaxe for mummy, it gives you a whole single pip of rF! As a mummy, the two best Gods are Vehumet for the extra spellpower and Ashenzari for making your stats not suck like hell. Be super wary of anything that you think you might not be able to handle in a few blasts and be bored.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Are daggers of poison tipped with sarin or something because I got hit by a kobold for no damage and it sent half of my HP to yellow. I was at 40 HP.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The venom brand does occasionally seem to stack up a crazy amount of poison, yeah. Sometimes you lose like 6 hp and barely notice you were poisoned, sometimes you get hit twice and your in red poison status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I am playing today and I cast a Spellforged Servitor and he almost kills me making GBS threads out Ball Lightning. This is a spell I do not have and never did, so I examine him:
code:
It has mastered the following spells: Lehudib's Crystal Spear, Orb of
Destruction, Iron Shot, Bolt of Fire, Bolt of Cold, Poison Arrow, Lightning
Bolt, Bolt of Magma, Bolt of Draining, Venom Bolt, Throw Icicle, Stone Arrow,
Iskenderun's Mystic Blast, Conjure Ball Lightning, Fireball, Airstrike, Lee's
Rapid Deconstruction, Freezing Cloud, Poisonous Cloud, Force Lance, Dazzling
Spray, Mephitic Cloud, Sticky Flame, Throw Flame, Throw Frost, Freeze, Flame
Tongue, Sting, Sandblast, Magic Dart
I check and there is a commit that says this:
code:
Make servitor spell selection deterministic again (wheals).

If your failure rate for a servitor spell is below 50%, it's eligible
for inclusion.
I don't know what's up - is this thing going to have a gigantic random spell list now, or is this a bug? If he's going to crap clouds and lightning balls he's gonna be as much of a danger to me as anyone else.

• Locked thread