Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's still game play error (or failure to maintain?), but that's still just a warning. Whether it's cheating or not depends on if he did it intentionally, which there isn't really a good way to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's still game play error (or failure to maintain?), but that's still just a warning. Whether it's cheating or not depends on if he did it intentionally, which there isn't really a good way to know for sure.

Nah in this case the game state was correct it's just the dumb camera that didn't show things working.

I'd make the argument that flourishing your cards like that is kinda shady but at that point it's singling the dude out, in the sense that I don't think you -should- flourish a delve without counting out your cards, but I'm sure people do.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mcmagic posted:

That robots deck actually wins in your local meta? Everyone who plays it at my store has done terribly.

Yea I wasn't prepared for it at all, and it would appear no one else was either. There were a lot of janky decks up there, so it is POSSIBLE he got 2 lucky rounds of jank before round 3 and 4 where he faced me and someone with a good deck. I just got unlucky and need more experience with the deck is what I tell myself. He Daring Thief'd my Rabblemaster which sucked and required a lot of thinking on how to get it back, and threw me off guard. It was only the second time I had used my Rabble Red deck in a competitive atmosphere.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea I wasn't prepared for it at all, and it would appear no one else was either. There were a lot of janky decks up there, so it is POSSIBLE he got 2 lucky rounds of jank before round 3 and 4 where he faced me and someone with a good deck. I just got unlucky and need more experience with the deck is what I tell myself. He Daring Thief'd my Rabblemaster which sucked and required a lot of thinking on how to get it back, and threw me off guard. It was only the second time I had used my Rabble Red deck in a competitive atmosphere.

But Daring Thief is soooooo slow. Are you just playing all creatures and not Lightning Bolt/Stoke?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Rinkles posted:

Kibler just won a game by Stubborn denialing a Stoke the Flames because the red player paid only w/ lands instead of tapping a Rabblemaster.

This is from awhile ago, but convoke doesn't change the cmc of the spell anymore, it is just an alternate payment method. Even if I tap 4 goblin tokens, it can still be countered with disdainful stroke. See the gatherer rulings on convoke cards.

If some other pedantic nerd already pointed this out, my bad

Edit: only thing worse than a pedantic nerd is one that gets the nit picky stuff wrong on top of it.

:saddowns:

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 20, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Molybdenum posted:

This is from awhile ago, but convoke doesn't change the cmc of the spell anymore, it is just an alternate payment method. Even if I tap 4 goblin tokens, it can still be countered with disdainful stroke. See the gatherer rulings on convoke cards.

Stubborn Denial <> Disdainful Stroke

hth

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Molybdenum posted:

You're thinking of Disdainful Stroke.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I've stopped linking my writing in this thread, since I figure people know about it already.

However.

I think this week's installment about Time Spiral is by far the most important review in my rundown of every block in Magic. So, here it is.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Zoness posted:

Nah in this case the game state was correct it's just the dumb camera that didn't show things working.

His opponent clearly indicated the Scalding Tarn with Deathrite Shaman, though. He should've exiled it, but he didn't. Did he exile something else? In the end he had enough for Treasure Cruise anyway (exiled 8 cards from his GY), but he could've just as easily not drawn another fetch. Again, that doesn't he mean he was cheating since cheating is by definition deliberate.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

I've stopped linking my writing in this thread, since I figure people know about it already.

However.

I think this week's installment about Time Spiral is by far the most important review in my rundown of every block in Magic. So, here it is.

quote:

Because of all these references, it’s led to a lot of handwaving non-criticism from people that look at cards like this as just a bunch of in-jokes. That’s not the best way to approach it.

I like that you touched on this part because it assumes that the cards don't make sense to people who didn't play magic 10 years before TSP was released but it's a dumb lazy statement.

But what's your opinion on how Future Sight chose to tease Planeswalker cards by people looking at Steamflogger Boss and Tarmogoyf side-by-side? I don't think there's anyway for people to relive that moment but the set had Bound in Silence as a tribal card which is a type that showed up on Tarmogoyf's reminder text, Steamflogger boss as a card that says "this is pretty much a joke card" for future mechanics, then Tarmogoyf which had Planeswalker as a type on a card that people initially didn't see as outright broken.

Anyway time spiral owned even if TPF wasn't exactly the deepest draft format thanks to a certain green common.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

His opponent clearly indicated the Scalding Tarn with Deathrite Shaman, though. He should've exiled it, but he didn't. Did he exile something else? In the end he had enough for Treasure Cruise anyway (exiled 8 cards from his GY), but he could've just as easily not drawn another fetch. Again, that doesn't he mean he was cheating since cheating is by definition deliberate.

Yeah he exiled his first fetch - a misty rainforest - from the DRS. Theoretically it shouldn't matter what land you target but you do in fact target a land, it's a shortcut in this specific matchup though since it's common knowledge that neither player has crucible, surgical, or loam (or another relevant card that I can't think of) that would make it relevant specifically which fetch gets exiled.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bertoncini no longer should be given the benefit of the doubt, so maybe he wasn't trying to be shady but it's Bertoncini so it's probably okay to assume.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

He didn't cheat here but with regards to that last sentence: being as successful a cheater as he is requires being a fantastic technical player. He never makes mistakes that will hurt him, but plenty of 'mistakes' that help him. If Magic is going to let a known cheater continue to play the game he at least does not ever deserve the benefit of the doubt: he's always deliberate.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Bertoncini is a cheater. He is known to have cheated in the past. I'm just saying if it's accidental, it's not cheating.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Bertoncini is a cheater. He is known to have cheated in the past. I'm just saying if it's accidental, it's not cheating.

You don't get the benefit of the doubt for beneficial accidents when it's well known that every play mistake you make is beneficial, though. I mean he's well known for only playing sloppy when it benefits him and he is a known cheater so it's really not helpful to defend an accident he makes, even if it actually is a genuine one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, Treasure Cruise or a particular game state are red herrings--there are any number of reasons why it could give you an incremental advantage to "forget" to actually exile a card when your opponent Deathrites it, and it's exactly the sort of thing that someone who consistently makes minor cheats for value would do. If you cast four Brainstorms in a game, and three times you put back two cards but one time you "accidentally" put back one, that doesn't make it not a cheat.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mcmagic posted:

But Daring Thief is soooooo slow. Are you just playing all creatures and not Lightning Bolt/Stoke?

I had Bolt and Stoke in the deck, but I kind of used the one Bolt I had to take something out the turn before. Like I said, combination of luck and not being 100% proficient in the deck. It was a combination of misplaying and not having an answer when I probably should have.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The oracle text for Scornful Egotist has to be a horrible joke.

Why would they type him as Human Wizard.

I was secretly hoping for more Weird Wizards

His flavor text is "Once I was human. Now I am far more."

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Zoness posted:

I was secretly hoping for more Weird Wizards

But enough about Ken Nagle.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

But enough about Ken Nagle.

Ken Nagle is the only designer who can compete with Mark Rosewater

when it comes to making magic worse

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Ken Nagle is the reification of the jokes we'd been making for years about designers trying to kill Magic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If Ken Nagle didn't exist we would invent him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to dredge up something mean about Ken Nagle but I'm just running out of material.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Who designed Hexproof because that guy takes the cake

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Equilibrium posted:

Who designed Hexproof because that guy takes the cake

Hexproof never made sense in a game where shroud already existed.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

kingcobweb posted:

However.

This article was great. I hope Maro and R&D in general reads it and rethinks their approach to design, because while Innistrad's straightforward design was the hook that brought me into Magic, the "old" modern-framed cards, especially those from Time Spiral block, and the opportunity to play with those cards in Modern are what enfranchised me.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

kingcobweb posted:

However.

Thanks for posting this, and personally I like that you used to post updates specifically for your review cycle of articles since I'm bad at bookmarking stuff/remembering to revisit. Been really enjoying these.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

New cheating scandal, Trevor Humphries in his standard open and modern IQ matches at this weekend's SCG would thumb non-land permanents to the top of his opponents' decks so they'd be mana screwed.

Edit: Watch him shuffle here, he looks at the bottom card of his opponent's deck, if it's a non-land, he puts it on top of the deck quickly, then when he mashes he doesn't change the top cards. Makes the other dude mulligan multiple times throughout the day.

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 20, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Aisar posted:

This article was great. I hope Maro and R&D in general reads it and rethinks their approach to design, because while Innistrad's straightforward design was the hook that brought me into Magic, the "old" modern-framed cards, especially those from Time Spiral block, and the opportunity to play with those cards in Modern are what enfranchised me.

There's no way MaRo is going to go by what is said, even if he's secretly happy that people liked TSP. He's really cemented on his current stance that whatever he's doing right now is the best thing and that's why he has things like the storm scale.

Because, you know, storm is like, the hallmark example of a keyworded mechanic that shouldn't be reprinted, while Hexproof is something that needs to be looked at over and over again

I think realistically Maro is just an old man who's out of creative juices but tries to bill his newer stuff as better than his older stuff in more subtle ways, which is fine, but I think what this means is it'll take something drastic to see something like Time Spiral again (basically it's not going to happen). Like, it's obvious he has a lot of energy that he channels in towards the game, in that he has that tumblr, his podcast, and whatever on top of his main job.

That said, I have high hopes for the inevitable revisit dominaria block that exists to put allied color painlands in standard for whatever reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheLawinator posted:

New cheating scandal, Trevor Humphries in his standard open and modern IQ matches at this weekend's SCG would thumb non-land permanents to the top of his opponents' decks so they'd be mana screwed.

That doesn't even make any sense.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Holy poo poo, watch the way this guy is shuffling his opponent's deck at the 1:00 minute mark, he's straight up stacking it.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/c/5333218

- Riffle-shuffle the cards
- Be careful not to break up the top 8-10 cards on the top of the deck
- If the bottom card of the deck is a non-land card, flip it under the deck to put it on top.
- Repeat

End result: Opponent has to mulligan and play around mana screw both games, leading to your victory.

Beaten, but you really need to know exactly what to look for to spot it, and once you do it's obvious. He's clearly practiced this.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 20, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I was just discussing this in Numot's stream, bastard's clever.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Zoness posted:

There's no way MaRo is going to go by what is said, even if he's secretly happy that people liked TSP. He's really cemented on his current stance that whatever he's doing right now is the best thing and that's why he has things like the storm scale.

Because, you know, storm is like, the hallmark example of a keyworded mechanic that shouldn't be reprinted.

I think realistically Maro is just an old man who's out of creative juices but tries to bill his newer stuff as better than his older stuff in more subtle ways, which is fine, but I think what this means is it'll take something drastic to see something like Time Spiral again (basically it's not going to happen). Like, it's obvious he has a lot of energy that he channels in towards the game, in that he has that tumblr, his podcast, and whatever on top of his main job.

That said, I have high hopes for the inevitable revisit dominaria block that exists to put allied color painlands in standard for whatever reason.

I hoped it was obvious, but I'm not expecting an about-face or an overt rescission of his current policies. I'd be happy if he took a look at the article and stopped being so scared to experiment again. I love Khans, I think it's the best set since Innistrad, and I have a lot of hope for the rest of the block because of how pleased I am, but I know at least KTK was a fairly safe play. People wanted wedges, give them wedges, hit all the appropriate notes with charms and legendary creatures and so on, and trot out morph, now featuring modern design sensibilities. I want more exploration of the potential design space like what was found in TSP.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Toshimo posted:

That doesn't even make any sense.

Yes it does. He continuously puts nonlands from the bottom of the deck to the top, stacking the top with nonlands so that no hand will ever be good. Since players are no longer allowed to cut their deck after their opponent shuffles (I did this in a tournament months back without knowing the rules change and my opponent was like "what are you doing"), there's nothing that can be done unless you catch the actual cheating. And no one did.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Holy poo poo, watch the way this guy is shuffling his opponent's deck at the 1:00 minute mark, he's straight up stacking it.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/c/5333218

- Riffle-shuffle the cards
- Be careful not to break up the top 8-10 cards on the top of the deck
- If the bottom card of the deck is a non-land card, flip it under the deck to put it on top.
- Repeat

End result: Opponent has to mulligan and play around mana screw both games, leading to your victory.

Beaten, but you really need to know exactly what to look for to spot it, and once you do it's obvious. He's clearly practiced this.

Yeah, just was coming in here to post this same thing. God its harrowing to watch once you see what's happening. All on camera

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It's not the first time it's been done either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ak-TtwSs74

"James Buckingham has just won a match where he has taken seven mulligans"

I mean, Naya Hexproof is inconsistent, but goddamn.

Also, same shuffling pattern.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Everyone loves (???) magical Trevor,
Coz' the tricks that he does, are ever so clever.
Look at him now, disappearing a cow!
Where is the cow heading right now? (topdeck, apparently)

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
All those judges just staring at him shuffling and not seeing it. The dual camera angles make it really obvious though.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

I was just discussing this in Numot's stream, bastard's clever.

But what the hell is up with his music selection??? Numot is by far a better drafter than me but his playlist makes it hard to watch his streams sometimes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PleasantDirge posted:

But what the hell is up with his music selection??? Numot is by far a better drafter than me but his playlist makes it hard to watch his streams sometimes.

You hating on The Eagles, buddy?

I will fight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn

PleasantDirge posted:

Other than the occasional Paramore I have found his taste in music FAR better than most twitch streamers.

• Locked thread