Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Yodzilla posted:

Is FEAR 2: Reborn any good? I honestly don't remember much about the original game other than the multiplayer being DOA.

It's a decent enough game, but pales in Comparison to FEAR, obviously. I happen to think it's better than the non Paxton parts in FEAR 3 at least.

It also has a first person rape scene which has to be seen to be believed.

e: Oh, you mean the DLC? Yeah, that's actually pretty good. Better than FEAR 2. You play an activated Replica soldier and has some good shooty man stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

lol so glad to see the paranautical devs booted off steam, hopefully their game dev careers are over now. i remember all the poo poo from when they were trying to screw their kickstarter backers and ea customers as well. fuckin' idiots

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm starting to feel less sorry for him.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

He was totally on board with his partner's dumbass words and actions up until they actually faced a consequence, so gently caress him.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It turns out lots of nerds think issuing death threats is socially acceptable and "just a joke."

In this case it's just the one, but we do have more than our fair share of angry loners in gaming.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's funny to me that TotalBiscuit complains that Twitter shouldn't exist because it's a quick way to say stupid things. How about just don't say stupid, hateful things. It's really easy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If anything it's hilarious that the other dev is ditching his old buddy like a hot turd yelling 'it wasn't me, I swear I didn't do anything, just don't call my mom :cry:' like it's primary school and they just got caught by a teacher.

Overall this whole thing is pathetic and embarassing to witness. Even seeing any point those devs might have had being discussed makes me cringe.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ah, diva devs. Derek Smart was perhaps the first; let's also not forget the Bob's Game guy.

I like the "See Also" on Bob's Game.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Palpek posted:

If anything it's hilarious that the other dev is ditching his old buddy like a hot turd yelling 'it wasn't me, I swear I didn't do anything, just don't call my mom :cry:' like it's primary school and they just got caught by a teacher.

Overall this whole thing is pathetic and embarassing to witness. Even seeing any point those devs might have had being discussed makes me cringe.

Hard to believe those two are adults - now that I am up to speed about the 'incident', they get absolutely no sympathy from me. If your career is precious to you, please, think before you write anything on a public forum. A guy I know got fired due to a hateful Facebook status-update - he was completely oblivious to the fact that his boss and some of his co-workers were his Facebook friends. Not the best place to say that your boss is a oval office and your co-workers suck, you know? We all think that every now and then, sure, but I'd never post about those thoughts - I'd go jogging to calm myself or something.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Hav posted:

In this case it's just the one, but we do have more than our fair share of angry loners in gaming.

Also, I understand that psychopaths (or was it sociopaths?) tend to be extreme narcissists, and that certainly matches this guy's description.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hav posted:

On the contrary, we need to take each and every death threat seriously, until people stop thinking that it's actually a valid thing to do. I'd add rape threats to that as well. Why? Well, some people actually attempt to carry them out, and it's certainly not enough to suggest that _some_ death threats *may* be valid.

People are never going to stop saying really dumb things in the heat of the moment, especially idiot hotheads like this guy. There aren't enough resources in the world to actually follow up on every stupid threat like this, and the only response that's really needed is exactly what we got: stop dealing with the guy until he can behave like an actual adult.

Speaking of which, his damage control has been absolutely hilarious:

quote:

"I have since obviously replied to them saying that I didn't mean what I said and pleaded that they consider the monopoly they have on the PC market before totally writing us off," Maulbeck said in an email to Polygon, "but let's be real. If they took the game off the store, they're fuckin sure about their decision. There's probably nothing to be done."
This is one of the worst attempts at accepting fault I've seen in a while. The worst part is that he's kind of right about Valve's gatekeeper status, but he probably should have thought of that before throwing a temper tantrum.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

People are never going to stop saying really dumb things in the heat of the moment, especially idiot hotheads like this guy. There aren't enough resources in the world to actually follow up on every stupid threat like this, and the only response that's really needed is exactly what we got: stop dealing with the guy until he can behave like an actual adult.

This is one of the worst attempts at accepting fault I've seen in a while. The worst part is that he's kind of right about Valve's gatekeeper status, but he probably should have thought of that before throwing a temper tantrum.

I love the backlash against Valve being some kind of corporate tyrant with its boot on the neck of the PC gaming industry. Aside from the standard DRM concerns Valve is a company that has done fantastically well in a static market by going against common business practices to make PC gaming much, much better but the instant they do something slightly inconvient in the slightest way its "VALVE IS KILLING PC GAMES".

Like when Greenlight was established, the place was flooded with people submitting MS paint pictures with dicks and racial slurs, so Valve made it $100 to post a Greenlight entry and people started freaking out at how they were being excluded from Steam and this practice was discriminatory.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

and don't forget the $100 went to charity, not Valve

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Paranautical guy is now urging people to buy the game from the Humble Bundle store to get -- guess what -- a Steam key. I wish Valve would deny all its key activations from now on, but that's me being spiteful not practical. Either way, his plan is now to get as many people to buy the game while the spotlight is on him, after that he will have to get a job since revenue will dry completely. His partner has tweeted that this Mike guy has never had a job before, which explains so much. It's easy to be a spoiled brat into your adulthood when your parents have always provided for you and you never got out of your comfort zone bubble. "Or something" :laugh:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

i almost had a job once!
i was gonna be a caddy at a golf course
then i drove one of the carts into the lake
:allears:

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

The Paranautical guy is now urging people to buy the game from the Humble Bundle store to get -- guess what -- a Steam key. I wish Valve would deny all its key activations from now on, but that's me being spiteful not practical. Either way, his plan is now to get as many people to buy the game while the spotlight is on him, after that he will have to get a job since revenue will dry completely. His partner has tweeted that this Mike guy has never had a job before, which explains so much. It's easy to be a spoiled brat into your adulthood when your parents have always provided for you and you never got out of your comfort zone bubble. "Or something" :laugh:

Does the Humble Bundle Store allow you to still cut the developers out of any and all profit and give it all to charity?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dork457 posted:

Does the Humble Bundle Store allow you to still cut the developers out of any and all profit and give it all to charity?

no you can't specify how your money is split up when buying from their store

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dork457 posted:

Nope, it's a standard store. Humble Bundle will keep the game around because they get 30% out of every sale, while the developers get the rest over the full price (there's no sale applied). The only one not getting poo poo out of this is Valve who has to host the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This will only last until HB runs out of keys and Valve won't be issuing new ones so :v:.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I hear it's no longer being sold on the humble store either.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

looks like humble has pulled the game too haha. this is awesome

efb

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Yikes. This guy is going to hurt somebody and also himself.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

This is what happens when you threaten to kill someone. I don't know what he expected but I wouldn't be shocked if a visit from the police happens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Atoramos posted:

This is what happens when you threaten to kill someone. I don't know what he expected but I wouldn't be shocked if a visit from the police happens.

It's amazing how he freely admits he made a death threat but backs it up with "Oh, I wasn't thinking and lost my temper". Like he thinks everyone gets a mulligan on issuing death threats if they take it back shortly after.

Atoramos posted:

I assume Valve reported the matter to the police and passed on any relative information. Whether or not he gets charged or anything is up to them.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

-----------------

17. Alien Breed 2: Assault

If you were around for the awesome summer sale with the tickets and prizes, you probably have this game in your backlog because I think it was the only full game you could get with tickets. Obviously I've been sitting on it for years, and despite its apparent similarities to Shadowgrounds (which I love, get it) I've never given it a try. But my internet was out last night and I didn't have much time to play so I figured it was finally time.

Alien Breed is an isometric shooter from Team17, far better known for their excellent Worms 2, Worms Armageddon, and all the awful Worms games that came after those. This installment is the middle part of a trilogy whose story appears to be completely unimportant... I think my third screenshot above sums it up pretty well. Your grizzled spaceman is stuck on an exploding derelict ship that you need to either escape from, stop from exploding, or both. I got a little muddled in there because the cutscenes are voiced poorly and the in-game direction is just text.

But you really need to pay attention to all that text because the majority of the game is backtracking and flipping switches. Seriously, in the 40 minutes I played I fixed like 5 doors, three valves, flushed coolant, refilled coolant, and started three backup generators, one of which exploded and had to be repaired. Your character in Shadowgrounds is an actual mechanic and you do less busywork fixing than your hard-boiled spaceman in Alien Breed. Interaction is the new standard "Hold X for 5 seconds to fix/open/hump" which REALLY adds up in this game. In addition, half of the things you interact with trigger boring in-game cutscenes of machines moving around that add up even faster.

It's a shame too, because Alien Breed looks good for a budget shooter. It's built in Unreal3 and makes good use of the engine. The combat is good as well, but sadly not as varied as Shadowgrounds in guns or enemies. The main problem is that you start with a ridiculously effective assault rifle that can then be upgraded further, rendering most of your other weapons moot. There's a standard assortment of shotgun, flamethrower, minigun, and rocket launcher to pick up and upgrade, but outside of corner cases your AR is going to get the job done better. Plus you can pick up gear like grenades and turrets that further marginalize your other weapons. There are only a few enemy types to shoot and almost all of them are the "get up in your grillpiece" type, which only exacerbates things further because your assault rifle has a knockback effect. I really don't know what they were thinking with this thing.

There's a story mode with all the switch-flipping valve-turning annoyance I mentioned, a survival mode where you just kill huge waves of aliens, and a co-op mode which I didn't even bother looking into. I don't know if Alien Breeds 1 and 3 are better balanced in terms of weapons and switch-flipping, but 2 here just wasn't doing it for me. If you don't have Shadowgrounds it might do the trick for you, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

He's fortunate that his family has been willing to support him well into adulthood so he's never had to work. I wonder how he's going to break it to daddy that the game he's been working on and was finally going to launch his career has been blacklisted from everywhere and he won't be making much money after all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's fortunate that his family has been willing to support him well into adulthood so he's never had to work. I wonder how he's going to break it to daddy that the game he's been working on and was finally going to launch his career has been blacklisted from everywhere and he won't be making much money after all.

I bet the words "Everything went bad after I issued a public death threat" won't be involved.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

gently caress, and i was really looking forward to their next game

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Honestly, the dev team should just fire that guy and get the game back on Steam. Talk about screwing everyone else over.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Honestly, the dev team should just fire that guy and get the game back on Steam. Talk about screwing everyone else over.

He IS the dev team. The dev team is him and the artist. And the artist is a gigantic rear end in a top hat, too, who has gone along with him hurling abuse at people in Groupees chat and the Steam community hub.

Heck, this is the artist's twitter:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're both shitheads and their mild success was entirely due to being at the right time / place, working on an FPS roguelike just as that was becoming a thing, but before competent ones were released (Tower of Guns, Eldritch, whatever the new ones are).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't know if Alien Breeds 1 and 3 are better balanced in terms of weapons and switch-flipping, but 2 here just wasn't doing it for me. If you don't have Shadowgrounds it might do the trick for you, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
They aren't. I dropped the first one for this very reason. To proceed you have to open a door. The door is locked. The card key is behind another door. That door can't be opened because power is out. Fix a generator. Get missing parts. Get there switching paths another 3 times because random bullshit blocks your way. Forget what you were doing this for in the first place. Wonder why you're playing this loving game anyway.

Seriously, I beat both Shadowgrounds games like 3 times each and I'd still play them again instead. Or Alien Shooter. And both series appear on name-your-price bundles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433980119/announcements/detail/221000653392938218 :psyduck:

Payday 2 is promoting Keanu Reeves' new action flick with a free new character (Keanu Reeves' character) + skill tree. I can't decide if that's the more shocking news or if it's the fact that said film is actually reviewing well and contains the 100% unironic line "they killed his dog, and now he's out for revenge." :psyduck:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I see, too difficult, won't try. Has 'sending people to coventry' ever worked in your experience? Certainly in the wider diplomatic circles it seems to be a short term solution. The US police are taking it slightly more seriously since people started getting offed after Twitter abuse.

On the other hand, people are already supplying validity to this kid by taking small things ('Steam is monopoly') and spinning them to their own agenda. This is why I have very little to do with the GamerGate 'issue', because it's less a movement than a bunch of mentally ill primates throwing poo poo at one another.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, I understand that psychopaths (or was it sociopaths?) tend to be extreme narcissists, and that certainly matches this guy's description.

Sociopathy vastly overestimates the worth of the self, so every fucker else is the problem. It's just more dark triad bullshit getting thrown into sharp relief by a dumbass without the inhibiting filters. Psychopaths literally don't care about anything other than getting caught.

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

I hope Valve continues to blacklist him, regardless of whatever else they say. They need to be an object lesson to everyone that this type of behavior has consequences.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433980119/announcements/detail/221000653392938218 :psyduck:

Payday 2 is promoting Keanu Reeves' new action flick with a free new character (Keanu Reeves' character) + skill tree. I can't decide if that's the more shocking news or if it's the fact that said film is actually reviewing well and contains the 100% unironic line "they killed his dog, and now he's out for revenge." :psyduck:

If you can't get pumped about playable Keanu Reeves, I think it's time for a good hard look at your life choices.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you can't get pumped about playable Keanu Reeves, I think it's time for a good hard look at your life choices.

Seriously he's like the third best Bro in Broforce

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If there isn't a button to spam "Woah" it's not worth using imo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

If there isn't a button to spam "Woah" it's not worth using imo.

The gun shooting sound effects have been replaced, so every time you fire a gun you get that Matrix 'woah'. Every time you make a headshot kill you get the Bill&Ted's guitar riff 'excellent'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

• Locked thread