Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It finally sank in that the show sucked somewhere around 2000-2001 for me, and I stopped watching it. I do put it on sometimes when I'm really really bored, but thankfully that's becoming less frequent. It really is a shambling corpse of its former self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You know how tv used to be something you just turned on and watched. Like you'd go "I'm bored let's watch tv. Oh look Simpsons is on."
But now you choose the shows you're really interested in and only watch that. "Are you watching gMe of thrones?""yeah bit I'm only on the first season"

Whenever that happened.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
SG

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

shut up netface posted:

2001-2002 after begrudgingly watching 3 mediocre seasons

This. I think I was out after YVAN EHT NIOJ.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember being floored when the movie came out that it was actually half decent, the show had been outright putrid for years.

Saavedro posted:

Wrong.

tl;dr: The "Bart" years never happened, the Bart-focused ads and merchandise when the show first started made it seem that way.

I actually have heard that a lot, interesting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's because the movie was done with a "dream team" of veteran writers of the show.... and some of the shittier newer ones like Ian Maxtone-Graham. That's why some of the jokes are really on-point and some (like the rock and wrecking ball joke) are flat-out retarded.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

mind the walrus posted:

That's because the movie was done with a "dream team" of veteran writers of the show.... and some of the shittier newer ones like Ian Maxtone-Graham. That's why some of the jokes are really on-point and some (like the rock and wrecking ball joke) are flat-out retarded.

John Swartzwelder, "The Simpsons" (consultant) (208 episodes, 1994-2003) plus writing the movie so that makes sense. show went to poo poo when he left but I'm surprised he hung around that long with the crap episodes that were being pumped out by 2003. guess his house wasn't quite done yet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Swartzwelder is allegedly one of the more mysterious comedy figures of modern history. He was supremely key in making the Simpsons great, writing classic episode after classic episode and being involved with countless others, but he's reclusive as gently caress and it's really kind-of a wonder he had his finger so thoroughly on the pulse of the zeitgeist in the 90s.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I watched the Simpsons a lot as a 1 year old and my parents stopped when I started saying cowabunga.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

MondayHotDog posted:

Look I know you're like 12 years old, and I've seen every single episode (except last night's) and enjoy most of them, but if you think the show is better now than it was 20 years ago you're out of your loving mind.

I've tried to watch seasons pre like 17 or so but to me they are all dull, slow, and doesn't have the same snappiness in their humor as let's say this or the last seasons.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So long ago I don't even remember.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When Phil Hartman was killed.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

mind the walrus posted:

Swartzwelder is allegedly one of the more mysterious comedy figures of modern history. He was supremely key in making the Simpsons great, writing classic episode after classic episode and being involved with countless others, but he's reclusive as gently caress and it's really kind-of a wonder he had his finger so thoroughly on the pulse of the zeitgeist in the 90s.

yeah I think there's like one photo of him and he's never done any kind of interview or anything. dude's the best and most people don't even know he exists

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I remember someone telling me that koreans had taken over the animation of the simpsons. I know i definitely stopped watching before that.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I had never heard of it before yesterday. It's good. Thirty consecutive minutes of laughter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Al Borland posted:

I remember someone telling me that koreans had taken over the animation of the simpsons. I know i definitely stopped watching before that.

You stopped watching really early, because Koreans have been involved in the animation of the Simpsons since forever and they were making jokes about it as far back as like 1993-94. I can't find video footage of it but here's proof: http://thesimpsonsforever.tumblr.com/post/39223682930/surrogatepeople-im-here-live-in-korea-to-get

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

SpeedGem posted:

Breaking bad is coming back, it's gonna be terrible.
Didn't Breaking Bad die of cancer, though?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

luncheon meat posted:

yeah I think there's like one photo of him and he's never done any kind of interview or anything. dude's the best and most people don't even know he exists

He famously refused to be on the DVD audio commentaries, so one time they called him up while recording and talked to him on speakerphone for a few minutes before telling him he's on the DVD, to which he responded "Too bad this isn't really John Swartzwelder".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can just picture him tittering like a madman after he says that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

How much did Conan have in terms of impact in writing "The Simpsons"?

I would think removing him, Al Jean, Mike Scully, and Mark Reiss would have a good amount of impact in how good the show was.

(Hell, "The Critic" was likely as good as it was because of Jean and Reiss)

I still get this vibe that Groening seriously wanted to just kill the show, and just focus on "Futurama", but it just didn't happen that way for some reason.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

He wrote three episodes. This is another internet talking point where people think he had a huge influence on the show, but he did not.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

I would think removing him, Al Jean, Mike Scully, and Mark Reiss would have a good amount of impact in how good the show was.

(Hell, "The Critic" was likely as good as it was because of Jean and Reiss)

I still get this vibe that Groening seriously wanted to just kill the show, and just focus on "Futurama", but it just didn't happen that way for some reason.

To me it always appeared as though The Simpsons was just a means to pay the bills so Groening could have more pull in doing Futurama. For the past decade, Futurama has entirely been a labor of love having never been a ratings giant on Fox. If it wasn't, there wouldn't have been such a fierce determination to keep the story alive through direct-to-video movies and cable revivals.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

2000-2001

Bart the Mother finally sealed it for me.

Maybe there should be a thread where we come with good scenes/episodes from season 9 on. I did have a pretty good laugh at Lisa asking who killed Maggie when Willie took their dead bodies away for stew.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I stopped watching around the Simon Cowell episode, because it was clearly unfunny, it actually poo poo on Lisa in a way that I didn't agree with by being a blatant liar about continuity WITHIN AN EPISODE, and even Simon Cowell himself admitted that he didn't like doing the episode at all.

When Simon Cowell doesn't enjoy being a guest on something, you know you hosed up.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

He wrote three episodes. This is another internet talking point where people think he had a huge influence on the show, but he did not.
But the episodes weren't written by only one person. They had a whole bunch of staff writers to punch up scripts, re-work stuff, etc. and Conan was part of that as well during the classic years.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
it may have been a little late, but I decided that the simpsons was poo poo and I was done with it when they had blink 182 and tony hawk guest star for the 300th episode. that was real bad...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Al Borland posted:

The thing is that the "animation" of an animated series is like, the least important part. They have computer programs to do it now, and it's a grunt work process of menial labor.

The people who do the character design are the actually important people. And then for a funny show like the Simpsons also the writers or w/e.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

But the episodes weren't written by only one person. They had a whole bunch of staff writers to punch up scripts, re-work stuff, etc. and Conan was part of that as well during the classic years.

Conan was only on staff for a year and a half. He started at the beginning of season 4 and left part-way through season 5.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The thing is that the "animation" of an animated series is like, the least important part. They have computer programs to do it now, and it's a grunt work process of menial labor.

The people who do the character design are the actually important people. And then for a funny show like the Simpsons also the writers or w/e.

The show's still drawn by hand (and still on paper as far as I know, though they may have switched to WACOMs recently). It's only colored digitally.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
oic

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
about five minutes ago. it's still funny.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Frank Grimes jr episode, I think, where he's like a mardi gras murder or some poo poo. I just suddenly realized that I hadn't enjoyed the show in a long time right after they revealed it.

Wow you stole the loving words right outta my fuckin mouth.

I can't remember if it was this moment, or halfway through that miserable Pie Man episode.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
"Look at these poor korean animators!!!"
*keeps outsourcing animation*

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I watched the Simpsons a lot as a 1 year old and my parents stopped when I started saying cowabunga.

name one time Bart ever said "cowabunga"

UNRELATED EDIT: on a whim I decided to watch that recent Family Guy/Simpsons crossover and something just seemed off about the way the Simpsons characters were behaving. It was like they all had a lobotomy or they were just theme park workers in Simpsons costumes. "It was ME! HOMer SIMPson!" I don't want to bother watching an actual new episode of the simpsons to see if thats how the show really is outside of a crossover but I'll go on a limb and say that it is.

Junk fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Junk posted:

UNRELATED EDIT: on a whim I decided to watch that recent Family Guy/Simpsons crossover and something just seemed off about the way the Simpsons characters were behaving. It was like they all had a lobotomy or they were just theme park workers in Simpsons costumes. "It was ME! HOMer SIMPson!" I don't want to bother watching an actual new episode of the simpsons to see if thats how the show really is outside of a crossover but I'll go on a limb and say that it is.

Their voices sounded about the same as any new episode, it's just what the voice actors have evolved the voices into combined with surely being incredibly bored with doing it. Personally though I actually thought the Simpsons characters were acting more like themselves in the crossover than they do on actual new Simpsons episodes.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
After "The Parent Rap" of Season 13, I stopped making any attempt to actually watch the show. I watched one or two of the Halloween episodes in the years after that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The elf jockey one was the start for me, but it was either the Simpsons visit Brazil or Simpsons visit England one was when the off button was pushed.

Wonder how much international syndication they hosed themselves losing doing near bigoted/racist stereotypes of other countries. Probably little.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Season 13

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Junk posted:

It was mostly just a t-shirt slogan, but he does say it at the beginning of the season 2 episode "Bart Gets Hit by a Car".

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Moe is a disgusting creep.

Please disregard the 14 episodes where we are shocked to learn he has a heart of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Junk posted:

oh im sorry, it's aye carumba?

I dont know spanish so the words are difficult for me to tell a part. Is cowabunga even a spanish word I dont think so.

• Locked thread