Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Introduction

I shall impersonate a man. Come, enter into my imagination and see him! His name... Edgar Frederick Yost III... a former catcher, no longer young; portly, roundfaced... eyes that burn with the fire of inner vision. Being retired, he has much time for books. He studies them from morn to night and often through the night as well. And all he reads oppresses him, fills him with indignation at large markets' murderous ways toward small markets. And he conceives the strangest project ever imagined.. to become a Championship Manager and sally forth into the World Series to right all wrongs. No longer shall he be plain Edgar Frederick Yost III, but a dauntless Manager known as Don Ned Yost-ay de La Mizzou!

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1964 - After just 11 years in Milwaukee, the Braves Board of Directors votes to ask the NL for permission to move to Atlanta. Milwaukee County officials sue to block the move.
  • 1973 - Bert Campaneris and Reggie Jackson hit two-run homers in the third inning as the Oakland A's defeated the New York Mets 5-2 in Game 7 of the World Series and give the A's their second consecutive Series title.
  • 1975 - Carlton Fisk breaks up Game 6 in the 12th Inning with a home run on the Left Field foul pole at Fenway Park to give the Boston Red Sox a 7-6 victory against the Cincinnati Reds, forcing a seventh game.
  • 1976 - The Cincinnati Reds won the World Series in four games with a 7-2 victory over the New York Yankees. Johnny Bench had two home runs for five RBIs. It was the Reds' second straight championship and marked the first time a team had swept the playoffs and World Series.
  • 1980 - The Philadelphia Phillies became World Series champions for the first time in their 98-year history with a 4-1 triumph over the Kansas City Royals in Game 6.
  • 1998 - The New York Yankees closed out their historic season with 3-0 victory at San Diego, sweeping the Padres in four games to win their record 24th World Series championship. The Game 4 victory gave the Yankees 125 wins against 50 losses - for a .714 winning percentage, the best in the majors since their Murderers' Row club of 1927. Their AL-record 114 regular-season victories were the most ever for a champion.
  • 2000 - In the longest World Series game ever played, the Yankees take Game 1 of the Subway Series, thanks to Jose Vizcaino's 12th inning two-out single, defeating the Mets, 4-3 in four hours and fifty-one minutes. The victory surpasses the streak established by the Murderers' Row clubs as the present Bronx Bombers win their 13th consecutive World Series game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
:sparkles: Go Royals! :sparkles:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Go Giants, embrace evil.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Empty quote this forever.

Got a late start on grilling, hope I get finished before the game starts :ohdear:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

gently caress David Ortiz Forever

somethingblue
Sep 25, 2005

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
We have an actual DH this time, cool

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Go Giants, embrace evil.

:twisted::getin::twisted:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Alan Trammell posted:

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Good versus evil no way good can... Oh who am I kidding Royals gonna lose hard

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Alan Trammell posted:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Today I got a job offer and it's the World Series, a good day. Let's Go The Giants.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I want the Giants to win because I'm from the Bay Area and I also hate joy and fun.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I'm amped!

Orange vs Blue
Duffy vs Duffy
Healthy Cain vs Hurt Cain
Panda vs Moose
Awkward RF vs Awkward RF
Fountains vs Cove
Steve Perry vs Sung-Woo Lee
Brett vs Barry
Killer P's vs HDH
Tequila vs my liver!

And last, but not least:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Oh god I hope that show features Ramsay cussing out in front of a kid's face.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
edit: double-post

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

to root against the royals is unamerican

isn't being unamerican a san francisco specialty

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Lone dashes of orange in a sea of blue, but this time I'm alright with the blue.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Posey Pence Pablo and Panik please phit pdingers ptonight. You too, PBum.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Did you know? James Shields is so old, he was alive the last time the Royals were in the World Series.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
LETS GO ROYALS

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Oh god I hope that show features Ramsay cussing out in front of a kid's face.

He's actually a big softie when he's dealing with kids. The first season was legitimately sweet and fantastic.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Panik batting second in his first world series bet he didn't see that coming.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Go Giants!

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Let's Go Royals. Please make the Giants sad.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Go Giants, crush the inferior American League and make everyone sad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is the apocalypse.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I was wearing a Giants hoodie today and the dude at the take-out place asked who was in the World Series this year. He actually thought I was joking when I said the Royals.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Caseman posted:

Let's Go Royals. Please make the Giants sad.

Giants can't be that sad knowing they'll be back to the Series in 2 years

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

GO 20 inning game

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The royals are in the world series

The royals are The Real

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I - raq

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wearing the lucky hat. Go Giants!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
MLB trying to out jingoism the NFL.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

euphronius posted:

The royals are The Real

I get it :golfclap:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
<--- lets do this

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oh god I've got a scorecard ready...

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

That was a pretty good SSB, what is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I Miss the hockey organ

• Locked thread