Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

cuntvalet posted:

I noticed that sort if thing with line 1 and even with line 3. Obviously it's hard to get a straight answer with the usual rumor mill but my god it's been a wild ride these last few months.

Assuming they're trying to sell the operation, or at least probably not suffer some penalties on whatever contract, they need their drones to continue operating as normal. This means that even though the lights are off and nobody is home until the day that contract ends they need phone monkies to be doing their job. Your intuition is almost certainly correct, and this is going to get sprung like a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
A posting just opened up for overnights at my center (we're a 24/7/365 LOB) and I think I am going to go for it. Any tips on getting used to changing my days to nights?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Robin Sparkles posted:

A posting just opened up for overnights at my center (we're a 24/7/365 LOB) and I think I am going to go for it. Any tips on getting used to changing my days to nights?

Check this out!

Working nights was the only thing that got me through 9 years as a call center rep so I heartily endorse it if you can hack flipping your life upside down.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Robin Sparkles posted:

If you are first shift now, start waking up earlier, and going to bed earlier, and get it to the point you're going to bed as soon as you get off work, and staying up at night. Unless you're one of those heroes that can stay up all night with caffeine, 5 hour energies, whatever. Getting used to sleeping during the day is the hardest part for most. I'm a weirdo that can sleep like a baby in direct sunlight, but most can't. If you can't do that, y ou might want to buy some heavy curtains.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
How you know you're practically a lifer and need a new job. I got selected for jury duty and I'm pretty happy about getting 3 days off work.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Two of our team leaders got fired for coming into work drunk last Saturday. This place is crazy :stare:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My supervisors were honestly like "oh yeah he couldn't get out of it" they seriously don't get I'd rather be anywhere but there

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

Check this out!

Working nights was the only thing that got me through 9 years as a call center rep so I heartily endorse it if you can hack flipping your life upside down.

Thank you so much! I am actually kind of looking forward to it. I would be doing more than just routing calls (I work at a place that sends navigation to vehicles) so I'm excited for the cross-training.

Gothmog1065 posted:

If you are first shift now, start waking up earlier, and going to bed earlier, and get it to the point you're going to bed as soon as you get off work, and staying up at night. Unless you're one of those heroes that can stay up all night with caffeine, 5 hour energies, whatever. Getting used to sleeping during the day is the hardest part for most. I'm a weirdo that can sleep like a baby in direct sunlight, but most can't. If you can't do that, y ou might want to buy some heavy curtains.

Thanks, I'm actually currently working 2-11pm mostly, or around that timeframe. I am usually pretty good at adjusting my sleep schedule, but I am worried about the sunlight in my room during the days. I will have to look into some blackout curtains, great suggestion!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Call Centre I work for is instituting a 'gamifying' solution, a pair of websites called EvaluAgent and MotivAgent, designed to start rewarding for good performance with prizes and boost morale. Cute but seems to be side-stepping the fact that everyone is leaving for other jobs because they pay better. The line managers are col but methinks the upper levels are being a bit naive.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The Call Centre I work for is instituting a 'gamifying' solution, a pair of websites called EvaluAgent and MotivAgent, designed to start rewarding for good performance with prizes and boost morale. Cute but seems to be side-stepping the fact that everyone is leaving for other jobs because they pay better. The line managers are col but methinks the upper levels are being a bit naive.

The most depressing memory I have of working in a call center (OK, there are a lot of depressing moments, maybe this wasn't the "most") was people literally cheering about the prospect of winning $25 gift cards for getting the most upsells or whatever their initiative was that week.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BioEnchanted posted:

Wait until upper management takes the Glengarry Glenn Ross approach to motivation!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fil5000 posted:

There's nothing in it for them in giving you a straight answer at all in this case - if they're honest with you then you gently caress off earlier than they were planning for and that last bit of revenue they were going to squeeze from you goes down the pan. Plus they probably still have some hope they can salvage some part of some contract somewhere that they'll need staff for.

Given that cuntvalet does work in Canada they have to give her tons of notice. If it gets to closing time they are just hoping to get enough people to quit on their own so they aren't on the hook for EI costs.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Hey, i'm trying to claw my way up the ladder from fast food and looking to get something a bit closer to a real job that still maintains the basic soul-destroying customer interactions. With less than a year of total fast food experience under my belt, is it possible to get myself a call center job? I just found a listing from Ecolab if anyone's worked for them before - it's like four miles away from my house and is offering 3 weeks paid training at $12.75 or so an hour, with 30 hours a week after that, and that sounds pretty good. I'd rather deal with worse customers than go home every night with the bones in my feet aching, so i'd like to get some input. Thanks!

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

klapman posted:

Hey, i'm trying to claw my way up the ladder from fast food and looking to get something a bit closer to a real job that still maintains the basic soul-destroying customer interactions. With less than a year of total fast food experience under my belt, is it possible to get myself a call center job? I just found a listing from Ecolab if anyone's worked for them before - it's like four miles away from my house and is offering 3 weeks paid training at $12.75 or so an hour, with 30 hours a week after that, and that sounds pretty good. I'd rather deal with worse customers than go home every night with the bones in my feet aching, so i'd like to get some input. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that company. It could depend on the job market where you are (i.e., are lots of high-level professionals out of work and fighting each other for the scraps at the bottom of the barrel where you live?), but I think you could definitely transition from fast food to customer service. If you know someone who works for the company and has a good reputation, you're even better off. Just be sure to talk a lot in the interview about enjoying office environments, enjoying customer interaction and challenging customers, etc.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

legsarerequired posted:

I'm not familiar with that company. It could depend on the job market where you are (i.e., are lots of high-level professionals out of work and fighting each other for the scraps at the bottom of the barrel where you live?), but I think you could definitely transition from fast food to customer service. If you know someone who works for the company and has a good reputation, you're even better off. Just be sure to talk a lot in the interview about enjoying office environments, enjoying customer interaction and challenging customers, etc.

The messed up thing is that all of the latter things are true. Like I genuinely enjoy dealing with real lovely customers, especially when it's being compared to doing that along with breaking my feet and making five different kinds of drinks at once. It does look like it deals with a lot of medical supplies so there could be some stiff competition, but it's the only one that's close enough to me to even consider walking in the winter, and since I live in a suburb that can be hard to come by. But good god anything would be better than working in fast food for another month.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

klapman posted:

You don't need any experience to get a call center job because they churn so fast they'll hire almost anyone.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You don't need any experience to get a call center job because they churn so fast they'll hire almost anyone.

A lot of the ones I was looking at required some really ridiculous qualifications, like a 4 year college degree. Minnesota might just be a bad place to get a call center job.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've worked at my call center for eight years now. Just got word that they are shutting down in two months. I get an extra bonus if I don't leave by then, and a bonus if I move to their other call center an hour and a half away.

Gah, finding a new job will be fun. It was pretty interesting to see how fast that place emptied out today after the meeting. Will also be interesting to see what the sales numbers are for the remaining time.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

klapman posted:

A lot of the ones I was looking at required some really ridiculous qualifications, like a 4 year college degree. Minnesota might just be a bad place to get a call center job.

If you really want to do them I would just try applying.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
My first call centre job came after I'd only ever worked retail. Sitting on your rear end on the phone beats the poo poo out of stocking shelves or slinging burgers. They will generally take anyone who isn't a complete mouthbreather. I worked for Teletech, and they were amazingly bad. On our first day of training they nonchalantly said, "By the way, we're paying you five thousand less than we initially said. Okay, see you tomorrow!". I started smoking after a month just so I could get off the phone. One time they dinged me for a no-call no-show because I left a voicemail on my manager's phone rather than speaking to her in person when I called in sick. poo poo got so bad that I quit with zero notice and nothing else lined up.

But hey, you can use call centres as a springboard into a proper office job, so it's not all bad. Just try and leave with your lungs, liver and soul intact.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

modeski posted:

My first call centre job came after I'd only ever worked retail. Sitting on your rear end on the phone beats the poo poo out of stocking shelves or slinging burgers.

But hey, you can use call centres as a springboard into a proper office job, so it's not all bad. Just try and leave with your lungs, liver and soul intact.

Agreed on all counts! Try to also watch your food intake, or the types of food you eat at work.

Also, I got a letter in the mail notifying me that the call center I worked at is canceling their pension program and will either mail the lump sum to me in a check or set up a traditional IRA. I only worked there for three years, so I didn't think I would be vested for a pension, but apparently I have about $2200 in some fund that they're going to roll over into a traditional IRA at the end of the month. It makes me feel a little better about spending three years in that situation.

Now I just need to lose the 45 pounds I gained...

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah, keep a real close eye on snacks and comfort eating

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
I need it and I drink gin
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
They have placed cookies in the break room and sugar free cough drops in there as well.

They also gave us MioEnergy.

I am concerned they plan to fire more people.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kat Delacour posted:

Yeah, keep a real close eye on snacks and comfort eating

I usually eat granola during the day. Seems pretty filling, tasty, and easy to eat between calls!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just had an internal interview for a full-time position at my place. Hopefully I'll get it as it will take me from ~£800 Per Month to ~£1200 per month, which will be lovely

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Interesting developments here at my place. I agree with you guys that something is going down and I've been polishing up my resume and the like.

This week, we are saying goodbye to a QA, a TL and an agent. It feels like people are trying to jump ship all over the place. With that in mind, two subject matter expert positions have opened up and a QA position.

I've applied to both, at the encouragement of my TL, one of the SMEs, two of the QAs and a few of my fellow reps. I figure it's a good chance to practice interviews if I get one and on the off chance that I get one of the positions, if the business does go down (okay, less if and more when), I'll be riding it down into the pavement from a higher paying position.

Also being in one of those higher positions will probably make it easier for me to apply for other jobs outside of this place in general.

It's interesting to see how many people seem to be jumping ship though, I must admit. It all feels very apocalyptic.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

cuntvalet posted:

Interesting developments here at my place. I agree with you guys that something is going down and I've been polishing up my resume and the like.

This week, we are saying goodbye to a QA, a TL and an agent. It feels like people are trying to jump ship all over the place. With that in mind, two subject matter expert positions have opened up and a QA position.

I've applied to both, at the encouragement of my TL, one of the SMEs, two of the QAs and a few of my fellow reps. I figure it's a good chance to practice interviews if I get one and on the off chance that I get one of the positions, if the business does go down (okay, less if and more when), I'll be riding it down into the pavement from a higher paying position.

Also being in one of those higher positions will probably make it easier for me to apply for other jobs outside of this place in general.

It's interesting to see how many people seem to be jumping ship though, I must admit. It all feels very apocalyptic.

I think we work for the same company. All the acryonyms are the same!

I'll agree being an agent at these places is pretty rough, but jesus christ try being one of the schedulers. I regularly get almost 20 time off requests a day. usually for the next day, or in some cases the SAME day, that I have to deal with and get back out to agents. Who then act like I declined them out of some personal malice, ugh.

And one of our campaigns is trying to expand, but in the 2 months they have been trying to grow they have gone DOWN by 5 heads. they have to double in size by the end of next month, Its obviously not going to happen, but the amount of calls is gonna change anyway! Sorry agents, you will never see avail time again.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

cuntvalet posted:

Out of the blue on Thursday my manager pulled me into the HR department, with one of the HR ladies, my supervisor and himself.

They explained that "the client" had listened to a bunch of my calls from like...months and months ago and decided I was not an "appropriate" example of what they want as a QA.

Regardless of the fact that these calls were months and months ago. Regardless of the fact that I'm the only person who gets all their audits and coachings done on time. Regardless of the fact that the agents I've coached have seen dramatic improvements on their QA scores.

Oh, but it's all alright, because instead of getting fired as "the client" would have liked...I get to go back to being an agent. You know. That job that I absolutely hated and was desperate to escape in the first place.

So, no more stable hours. No more chance to get a raise. No more trying to help people (and succeeding). No more going for lunch whenever I please. No more using the washroom whenever I need to. No more being able to send outbound emails. No more ability to choose whether or not I work holidays because I'll be needed for phone queue.

And apparently I have to write a letter defending my "actions" during calls and if I do write it, it's not going toward anything other than telling "my side" of the story. It's not like it goes towards helping me keep my QA position.

They expect me to start back on the phones on Tuesday and I nearly told them I wanted to quit right then and there because I hated being an agent so much. But I didn't. Because I have an apartment to pay for and student loans and I think I'd hate being homeless more. But how am I supposed to go back to being an agent, after I've coached and worked with my peers on the floor?

It's humiliating and embarassing. I'm ashamed and desperate to find a new job, fast. I...I don't know what I'm going to do.

That's too bad. :smith:

Hopefully their memories are short and you can apply again some time in the future. Providing the place doesn't go down the plughole.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Well i'm going in today to check on my application and find out if i'll get an interview. I'd really love to get the job since it'll be 13.25 an hour plus commission versus 8.50 at Mcdonalds.

cuntvalet posted:

i might have a few more reservations about this job now :ohdear:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

ZeroDays posted:

That's too bad. :smith:

Hopefully their memories are short and you can apply again some time in the future. Providing the place doesn't go down the plughole.

This exact same poo poo happened a year or more ago ago. Cuntvalet has stockholm syndrome or something, don't encourage her.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Kat Delacour posted:

This exact same poo poo happened a year or more ago ago. Cuntvalet has stockholm syndrome or something, don't encourage her.

How is it "stockholm" syndrome to hold on to a job you hate because you're not a giant loving baby deciding to shrug off all financial responsibilities? Quitting a job because it sucks but still having rent to pay is poo poo I did when I was like 18.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Unless someone necroquoted her old post this is the second time her employer told her she was supposed to get the sack but as a consolation prize they'd let her stay in cs. I know times are tough for the young movers and shakers and you dont have to quit for nothing if you don't want to but finding a new job cant take that long if you're trying. They openly told her she will never progress past entry level and she's still hanging onto the delusion that one day it'll all be roses.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Kat Delacour posted:

finding a new job cant take that long if you're trying.

Sure you can get a new minimum wage job whenever. The problem with any job that's significantly above minimum wage is that they are very difficult to get depending on what part of the country you're in. There's just no point in quitting a job that you hate just so you can go to a job that you will hate even more for way less pay.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I actually got the full time position at my current tech support gig. YAY! A lot more money will be mine!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

g0lbez posted:

Sure you can get a new minimum wage job whenever. The problem with any job that's significantly above minimum wage is that they are very difficult to get depending on what part of the country you're in. There's just no point in quitting a job that you hate just so you can go to a job that you will hate even more for way less pay.

Yes, but is it possible to get a job you'd hate even more than a call centre that dicks you around like that? I mean, making you wrote a letter explaining your actions, what? That's crazy.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

I quoted it from more than two years back 'cos I got a real strong deja vu when reading the QA posts and wanted to confirm. Apologies for the confusion.

Also, I've literally walked out of more than one call-center with no job to go to and I'm doing great job-wise today and haven't been near a call-center in years. Sometimes you gotta just say "gently caress it" and roll the dice.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Just as a quick explanation, I had a sit down with my TL before even entertaining the idea of applying. She said they'd be stupid not to promote me. I've consistently improved stats, provided solid floor support and OTJ training for new reps, and have a good attitude (that last one is a facade I keep going...shhhh don't tell). She then had a sit down with the OM to make sure she want just blowing smoke up my butt. Her internal references for both applications were almost surreal in how encouraging they were.

If I don't get it this time around, I've decided I'm now in a financial situation where I may be able to quit and go to a part time job or take some time to do some job searches.

Frankly, I just want to get a more high paying position to make however long this shambling corpse of a job goes for bearable.

I don't agree with the Stockholm syndrome comment, at all, and wouldn't even be bothering if I hadn't received encouragement from my TL, various SMEs and one of the QAs.

I may have fallen off the turnip truck, but it wasn't yesterday.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

Just as a quick explanation, I had a sit down with my TL before even entertaining the idea of applying. She said they'd be stupid not to promote me. I've consistently improved stats, provided solid floor support and OTJ training for new reps

See, these are excellent reasons to keep you in your current role. Sounds like they'd gently caress themselves if they pulled you from the trenches.

Maybe a call center lifer can confirm if that's a myth or not; namely, that the best agents get kept with the garbage on the frontlines, while the mediocre agents snag the off-the-phone roles.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Just remember, your team leaders and QA agents aren't the ones who are going to hire you. Not sure what the SME is, but I doubt they have any power either. Apply, make an effort, but remember just because they say you'd be a good fit doesn't mean you will be. It'll be the supervisors and their managers (as well as HR) who make the decisions.

I mean hell, one of my old supervisors got promoted to manager, and he's the reason why I won't be able to get my old call center job back. He didn't like me basically. However, most everyone else there loved me and the trainer about wet herself when she heard I might be coming back. However the manager rushed me in, did my interview and rushed me back out and actually wouldn't let me talk to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

ZeroDays posted:

Maybe a call center lifer can confirm if that's a myth or not; namely, that the best agents get kept with the garbage on the frontlines, while the mediocre agents snag the off-the-phone roles.

Surprisingly not at mine. There is a program to get the best out of the centre and into branches in promoted roles. I'm working on something similar right now to try and get a job permanently away from direct customer contact.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 22, 2014