Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Erika the Red

"Ah, rune weaponry. I've heard of them, but never seen one in action. Getting a decent number of those into the hands of an army would be powerful indeed, and even the weak-willed could wield them without risk of madness."

Standing up from the oversized Astartes chair, Erika starts to stroll towards the exit.

"As for what to do when we get back? Depends on how dead they all are. Worst-case, we can try to parlay with the Plague Marine, but I wouldn't expect that to work. If we run, he'll almost certainly call for backup to hunt us down, seeing as his ship's vox is intact. So really, killing him or at least distracting him long enough to smash his radio is the only option. I'm thinking that we have enough spare promethium on here to make a few firebombs. Nurglites are wet and slow to burn, but once the rot-gas in their guts catches, they rarely can put themselves out. Assuming the others haven't already killed him or vice-versa, I should have plenty of time to get over to Plaga and torch him. Would you like a few, or should I just make two for me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

The hertek is silent for nearly a full moment, staring down at his limb gifted from Khorne, "I think fire bombs could do the trick. I'm not much of one to parlay, but if you think you could talk Plaga into not immediately killing us I will follow your lead. Though hopefully we will be rounding the ship to the scene of Victory, not defeat."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ariston and Lucius both quickly run down the ramp, heading towards Plaga and their Renegade comrade.

Opifex is still a little groggy from the crater in his chest, but nevertheless finds the strength to pull his magos axe and walk towards the ramp, unfortunately there is a huge battle between the two castaway crews right in front of you. The nurglites from the Dead Shark try to press the attack, but your crew stands their ground and refuses to give up. The stalemate will probably continue unless someone steps in to help.

Victus hears a loud *CLANG* as Plaga drops his heavy bolter on the metal floor without much ceremony. From his own exposed entrails he pulls a disgusting blade covered in toxic slime and other terrible things, boat-flies swarming around it. He swings the blade once against the Renegade, but fortunately he ducks away. You're very sure getting hit by that putrid weapon would be a really bad idea.

You all hear a metal door, that leads to the lower decks, behind you open with force, as a sweating Vatra, followed by his bodyguards as always, finally decide to join the fight.

Light Green is a 23/30 Horde (+30 to Hit due to Horde)
Dark Green is Plaga (+20 to Hit due to Size)

INITIATIVE
13 Ariston
13 Opifex
10 Zegasi Stunned for 1 Round
8 Plaga
7 Lucius
7 Nurglite Castaways

6 Vatra
5 Bazroth

4 Heretics Castaways
3 Victus

NEXT ROUND
13 Ariston
13 Opifex
10 Zegasi

Bolded Players are up

Plaga 45/45 Wounds AP Body 10 Rest 8 - TB 11

frajaq fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 19, 2014

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Vatra the Whisperer

Vatra wipes the sweat from his brow, obviously out of breath by his rush to make it to the ship deck. Pointing his las-pistol at the Nurglite horde he gives a simple command to his bodyguards to help tip the balance in their favor. Though the Apostate obviously hasn't been taking care of himself and the command comes out garbled, confusing, and muffled by the sound of his own las-pistol firing into the horde.

Half action to semi-auto las-pistol into horde, BS 40 + 30 size= TN 70, 1d10+2E, 0 Pen, +1 hit for every 2 additional DoS
Command test TN 90, 1d100=99 FAILED

pre:
WS   BS   S    T   Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel   Inf
30   40   25   33  30   50   50   45   70    15   1/1 IP

Wounds: 8/12         Armour: 4 Arms/Body/Legs
Dodge: 40, Parry 30      Corruption: 8

Laspistol     30m   S/2/–  1d10+2E    Pen 0  28/30  Reliable, Good Quality
PlasmaPistol  40m   S/2/-  1d10+7E    Pen 8  10/10  Maximal, Overheats
Power Blade   Melee   —    1d10+3E    Pen 5         Power Field, Poor Quality

Relevant Traits/Talents:
Quick and the Dead: +2 to Initiative
Radiant Presence: +10 to WP to resist fear/intimidation
Demagogue: When the character uses the Charm or Intimidate skill to affect more 
than one person they may affect up to 100 times his Fellowship Bonus. 
Iron Discipline: Followers may reroll failed WP tests to resist Fear and Pinning.
Unshakeable Will: May reroll failed WP tests to avoid Fear.

Korhal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 19, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

Ariston allowed himself the briefest flicker of satisfaction...Victus' bold plan had succeeded after all. The heavy bolter had been silenced and while a single blow from Plaga's foetid blade would surely end the zealous warrior's life, the Plague Marine's swings were slow and cumbersome. Now, though, the real work began.

The Corvus-pattern armour lend swiftness to his assault as he charged straight towards Plaga while the massive Astartes' back was turned. With a challenging roar he raised his crackling blade and drove it forward with all his enhanced strength in a fearsome blow capable of sundering ceramite.

I'm charging Plaga with my power sword. WS 60 +20 for Charging +20 for size +10 for ganging up in melee means my overall TN is 110. Also, since it's entirely likely that Plaga is gonna be taking a swing at me soon, remember that my boarding shield gives me an overall +15 to Parry which I will be using it for (for a total parry of 85).

pre:
Ariston
WS 60, BS 50, S 40 [+20], T 40, Agi 40 [+10]
Int 35, Per 35 [+15], Will 43, Fel 45 

Wounds: 16/21, SB 8 [10], TB 8, Armor 7 All (+3 Body, +3 Left Arm)
Dodge 40 [50], Parry 70, Movement 5/10/15/30

Skills: Athletics, Awareness +10, Command, Dodge,
Intimidation +10, Parry +10, Stealth

Talents: Air of Authority, Ambidextrous, Bulging Biceps
Enemy (Adeptus Astartes), Hatred (Adeptus Astartes, 
Imperial Guard), Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Jaded, Legion Weapon Training, Lightning Reflexes
Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Heat, Cold, Poison)
Swift Attack, Unarmed Warrior, Unshakeable Will

Traits:, Amphibious, Unnatural Strength (+4)
Unnatural Toughness (+4)

Special Ability:
Spectral Haunter: Penalties to hit you/bonuses to Stealth Checks
that combat circumstances grant based on visual hindrances are 
increased by 20.
Abhorrence Unchained: When you kill a foe you have Hatred for,
make a +10 Infamy test to gain Fear (2) and +1 damage to a maximum
of +10 against enemies of that type for the remainder of the encounter.

Equipment:
Legion Bolter
-Basic 100m S/3/- 1d10+9X Pen 4 Clip 24 Rld Full Special: Tearing
Combi-Flamer Attachment
-Basic 20m S/-/- 1d10+9E Pen 4 Clip 0 Rld 2 Full Special: Flame, Spray
Legion Bolt Pistol
-Pistol 30m S/2/- 1d10+9X Pen 4 Clip 5 Rld Full Special: Tearing
Legion Combat Knife
-Melee 1d10+10R Pen 2
Legion Power Sword
-Melee 1d10+16E Pen 6 Special: Power Field, Balanced, 8 uses
Astartes Boarding Shield
-Melee ???, Defensive, +3 AP to Body and Arm
Rad Grenades
-Thrown 24m S/-/- 1d10E Pen 0 Clip 2 Irradiated (2)

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Bazroth, Word Bearer

The marine frantically tried to wipe off whatever foul substance had served as blood and insides for the creature, but it left its impression in stinking, aching pain nonetheless. Spying the fruitless, but admirable attempts by the human to take down Plaga, Bazroth ran across the ramp in that direction.

Running 30m in Plaga's direction. -20 BS/+20 WS to hit me.

pre:
     WS   BS   S      T    Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel   Inf
     50   30  (8)40 (8)40  40   50   30   50   60    15, 1/1 IP

Wounds: 08/19         Armour: 8 Body and Legs
Dodge: 40, Parry 60      Corruption: 10

Legion Bolt pistol  30m  S/2/–   1d10+9X    Pen.4  8/8  Full Reload | Tearing | Scavenged
Accursed Crozius    Melee —      2d10+14E   Pen.7       Balanced, Concussive (when 2h'd)
							Power Field, Felling (4)
Relevant Traits/Talents:
Heightened Hearing/Sight, Quick Draw
Melee Opponents may not take Defensive Stance actions. 
Hatred: Plaga's Warband granted by Crozius

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Victus

Nimbly stepping out of the way, Victus remarked to himself that getting hit with such a filthy sword was not going to be very good for his health. Noting out of the corner of his eye that his back-up was soon to arrive, Victus realized that this was not time for valor - this was a great time to continue delaying and letting the Plague 'Lord' attack dead air in a futile attempt to hit him while his compatriots caved Plaga's head in.

Victus smirked.

"Plaga, if you were as good with that sword as you were with that Bolter, I would most certainly be dead. Seeing as that I am alive, allow me to commend you on your diverse skills. Such skills may have won you the day, but now you will know failure and all your children shall die. In the end, you will know that it is not I who brought about your failure, but your own hubris and your flawed devotion to but a single Chaos God."

Victus looks to his right.

"Well, maybe not just your hubris. I think I see a few power swords coming your way and the arms behind them, I must confess, are stronger than my own. But that thing in your hand looks rather dangerous. I think I should free you of your obligation to it."

Victus rejoined the melee against Plaga in order to continue to distract him from the true threat coming his way. But instead of giving him the chance to defend himself, Victus would attempt to free the weapon from his grasp. Then he would be truly defenseless against the horrifying onslaught coming his direction.

I am Disarming Plaga (and is there a bonus for using two weapons for the action?) Don't forget that if I actually succeed, Adroit gives me more DoS! Should I fail and he manages to land an attack on me and my Dodge fails, I will use an Infamy point to reroll my Dodge.

pre:
WS     BS     S      T      Ag     Int    Per    WP     Fel  
58     28     45     35     60     27     40     33     30

Wounds: 5/14    Infamy: 1/1    Fatigue Level: 0    Initiative: 1d10+8
Movement: 6/12/36/36

SB: 4  TB: 3
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 70
Parry: 58 (Poor Quality Power Sword, but Balanced!)

Armour: Body 6, all else 4

Weapons: 
Poor Quality Human Power Sword (-10 to WS checks using it) 1d10+9 (+5 base, +4 ST) Pen 5, Power Field, Balanced)
Borrowed Gozerian Power Axe      Melee   —    1d10+9E (+5 base, +4 ST)    Pen 0         unbalanced

Special Abilities:

Noteworthy combat traits: 
Adroit (+1 DoS on all WS checks)
Quick and the Dead (+2 to Initiative)

Combat talents:
Jaded, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Sure Strike, Disarm, Ambidextrous, Swift Attack, 
Precise Blow, Hard Target, Preternatural Speed, Two-Weapon Wielder, Blade Dancer, Step Aside.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 21, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

For the first time Vatra blurbs out something incomprehensible while shooting at the horde, and your bodyguards exchange confused looks between themselves. At least you managed to drop one of the enemy nurglites, the las-bolt hitting him right in the right eyeball as he drops down dead. (Deals 1 Magnitude damage.)

While Bazroth runs down the ramp toward Plaga, a popular location with the rising concentration of Heretics on the map, Victus tries to use Erika's power blade and Gozer's axe to disarm Plaga from his dangerous knife. The Plague Marine is quick to grasp what the Renegade is trying to do and trade blows with more care, his dangerous plague knife still in his hands. "Little human, you should focus less on words and more on actions. This shall be your undoing, fool!" (You roll 77 and fails the disarm, plaga rolls 35.)

Plaga glances at the charging Ariston going in his direction and readies his plague knife to block the attack. But the Veteran goes low, making use of the Mark 6 superior agility to deal a savage thrust in the enemy's belly. Even with the power field mostly passing through the reinforced ceramite, the corrupted body absorbs most of the sta, foul blood leaking out from the new wound. "Bring as many opponents as you like! Decay comes for all!" he yells as he looks at the crack in his armor and glances at the incoming Heretics. (Deals 2 damage to Plaga)

He switches his focus from Victus to this new astartes in front of him. He realizes the advantage that Ariston's boarding shield provides in melee and tries to work his way around it. With surprising agility, the plague marine tries several stabs in different directions, always cancelling mid-way, hoping to feint and find an opening in the enemy defense. The Veteran manages to matche the maneuvers in every way, finally defending against real strikes that blow against his shield. Plaga grunts in frustration. (Plaga Half Action Feint, you both get 5 DoS. Ariston wins due to having highest WS Bonus. The Half Action Swift Attack his 2 times but you parry it.)

Light Green is a 22/30 Horde (+30 to Hit due to Horde)
Dark Green is Plaga (+20 to Hit due to Size)

INITIATIVE
13 Ariston
13 Opifex
10 Zegasi

8 Plaga
7 Lucius
7 Nurglite Castaways
6 Vatra
5 Bazroth

4 Heretics Castaways
3 Victus

Bolded Players are up

Plaga 43/45 Wounds AP Body 10 Rest 8 - TB 11

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Bazroth, Word Bearer

Finishing his headlong sprint into the plague marine, Bazroth swung into him with both hands firmly gripped on the Crozius.

WS 50 + Hatred 10 + Charge 20 = TN 80 (I think the single swing bonus is rolled into the charge bonus?). Concussive.

EDIT: Oh, also ganging up bonuses, though I don't know how many will be there by the time Bazroth is.

pre:
     WS   BS   S      T    Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel   Inf
     50   30  (8)40 (8)40  40   50   30   50   60    15, 1/1 IP

Wounds: 08/19         Armour: 8 Body and Legs
Dodge: 40, Parry 60      Corruption: 10

Legion Bolt pistol  30m  S/2/–   1d10+9X    Pen.4  8/8  Full Reload | Tearing | Scavenged
Accursed Crozius    Melee —      2d10+14E   Pen.7       Balanced, Concussive (when 2h'd)
							Power Field, Felling (4)
Relevant Traits/Talents:
Heightened Hearing/Sight, Quick Draw
Melee Opponents may not take Defensive Stance actions. 
Hatred: Plaga's Warband granted by Crozius

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 23, 2014

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zegasi

Well don't you look like a poisoned herring? Oh wait, you were made a poisoned herring, just now. The voice in Zegasi's head always looked to snark at him when it had the chance. But perhaps he could redeem himself a bit? Looking about, he noticed his comrades ganging up on Plaga. Good - he would finish the job if only he weren't so wounded, and too far to rush without reaching the battle after it was won. But there still was the matter of the band of castaways under Plaga's command; perhaps they could be shown some new power?

Half Action to cast Doombolt - Unfettered - on the Horde at TN 75 (base 65 -10 fatigue +20 PR 4), and a Half Action to stand.

pre:
60     25   40[+20]  40     45     50     40     65     35

Wounds: -6/18    Infamy: 0/1    Fatigue: 5    Initiative: 1d10+4
Movement: 5/10/15/30

Temporary Effects: None

SB: 10  TB: 8
Awareness: 40 Sight/Sound, 30 Else
Dodge: 35
Parry: 60
Armor: 0 Head, 8 Arms/Body/Legs.

Relevant Skills: Athletics, Awareness, Common Lore (War), Dodge,
Parry, Psyniscience +10

Relevant Talents: Ambidextrous, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight),
Legion Weapon Training, Lightning Attack, Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw,
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poison), Swift Attack, Unarmed Warrior

Relevant Traits: Amphibious, Psy Rating 4, Unnatural Strength/Toughness +4

Psychic Powers: Doombolt, Mind Over Matter, Precognition, Precognitive Dodge,
Precognitive Strike, Precision Telekinesis, Warptime

Weapons:
Legion Bolter (Basic; 100m; S/3/-; 1d10+9X; Pen 4; Ammo 24; Rld Full; Tearing)
Legion Combat Knife (Melee; 1d10+10R; Pen 2)
Legion Chainsword (Melee; 1d10+13R; Pen 3; Tearing, Balanced)
Legion Bolt Pistol (Basic; 30m; S/-/-; 1d10+9X; Pen 5; Ammo 8; Rld Full; Warp Weapon, Blast (2), Poor Quality
  Loaded with Tzeentchian Inferno Bolts, Warp Weapon does not function against non-living targets.
Force Staff (Melee; 1d10+14I; Pen 4; Balanced, Force)
  3/5 "charges" left.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Opifex

Noticing that there's a crowd in his way, Opifex hefts his axe and runs into the horde, swinging his massive power axe from side to side in wide swing to clear a way towards Plaga.

Charging the horde, gently caress those guys standing in my way. 45 + 30 (size) +20 (charge) = TN 95.

pre:
45     45   30[40]   55     40     66    30[50]  45     28

Wounds: -2/18    Infamy: 0/2    Fatigue Level: 5  
Movement: 5/10/15/30

SB: 8  TB: 9
Awareness: 50
Dodge: 40
Parry: 45 (mechatendril)

Armour: All 6

Weapons: 
Fallen Magos Power Axe: Two-handed melee: 2d10+4E; Pen 6; Power Field, Unbalanced
Legion Bolter: Basic; 100m; S/3/-; 1d10+9X; Pen 4; Ammo: 24/24; Tearing
Multi-melta: Heavy; 60m; S/-/-; 2d10+16E; Pen 12; Ammo: 1/12; Blast (1), Melta
Mechatendril: Handless melee; 1d10+4R; Pen 0; Flexible

Special Abilities:
Binaric Curse (ToD p.35): Spend infamy point to cause a piece of technology to fail
(eg. targeted weapon gains Overheat or Unbalanced for encounter).

Noteworthy combat traits: 
Unnatural Strength +4
Unnatural Toughness +4
Unnatural Intelligence +2

Combat talents:
Ambidextrous, Bulging Biceps, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw,
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poisons, Fear), Unarmed Warrior, Disturbing Voice, Enemy (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Rapid Reload, Technical Knock, Unshakeable Will, Weapon Tech

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Opifex stampedes towards the nurglites, as the enemy can only watch the astartes simply cleave a score of them away, blood and gore boiling in the air as it touches the power field of the Warpsmith's weapon. To add insult to the injury, Zegasi, even severely weakened like he is and with his chest hurting like hell, channels purple bolts from the Empyrean to cast down on the enemy mob. Destructive warp energy hits the Dead Shark crew, felling a good amount of them.

With the support of the two astartes, your own Rust Wave crew easily cuts down the remaining forces with extreme violence. It's just a few seconds of vicious combat before the Dead Shark combat crew is completely annihilated. The only remaining target is the gigantic Plague Marine.

Already surrounded by Victus and Ariston, Plaga cannot maneuver out of the way as Bazroth's charge crashes upon him, a single low swing of his accursed crozius hitting his left legplate with enough force to crack the putrid armor, a putrid smell steaming out of the wound as his corrupted skin boils. Lucius comes from behind and slashes the open wound with his scythe, the Barrage combat drug helping penetrate even Astartes Power Armor.

With four Heretics surrounding him, Plaga realizes he's defeated, but will not give up until his last disgusting breath. He stays completely silent and concentrated upon lasting as long as he can, but it's inevitable that he's overwhelmed. Ariston, Victus, Bazroth and Lucius repeatedly slash, stab and pummel him until he stops moving.

The Plague Marine lost his ability to feel pain a long time ago, so he doesn't scream or grunt, with a simply gasping breath the enormous astartes falls down on the metal floor, momentarily making the floor tremble under the immense weight. Plaga is no more.

Your combat crew from the Rust Wave roars at the sight, while the remaining mutant rabble from the Dead Shark gives loud cries and moans of despairs at the sight of their precious Father brutally slain at the Heretics hands.

It doesn't take long before the Rust Wave itself soon dock again at your side, bringing Gozer and Erika inside. The Pirate Princess and Heretek immediately understanding that their comrades were victorious today.

So yeah Bazroth did 18 damage to Plaga in a single strike so I might as well stop delaying the inevitable, since this combat has been going for quite awhile.

You won! :toot:

Now what you guys are gonna do??

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

Gozer is beyond pleased when their vessel rounds the sinking Imperial ship, to find his new collegues still alive, and Plaga still leaking fresh Ichor in Khorne's name. He approaches all and gives them mighty cheer, clapping his over-sized hand on the backs of all involved. "Blessings are on us all! We are on a world dedicated to Khorne, and he has smiled upon us. We were split and separate, stripped by our gods of our power and equipment. We survived our separate trials, and then came together to survive this monstrosity! It was destined by the gods for all of us to serve together; obviously despite our current shortcomings, the Gods have a plan for us."

He then moves to Ariston the Hekatonkheir and uses his electoo inductors on the power supply, "Worry not powerful astartes, I was able to siphon some power off of the dead heretics to help aid you, but I would suggest that for the time ahead you disable the power supply of your power armor for the journey to come. Your transhuman muscles should still be able to handle the armor, though if it is a discomfort let me know, I will remove your armor with the proper rites."

The heretek then approaches Victus raising his mutated arm, "You may keep the axe, Khorne has made sure I no longer need it. But worry not, once it can be restored, I will do so." He then turns to the group at large. "We now have this world at our disposal, though I do think we should leave this world as soon as we can. We have two ships uit only enough men for one. I suggest we take the reprieve we do have and cannibalize these vessels. I say we pick one that we will keep. Then the other ship we should remove the engine from, and strip the ship. We can use that engine and the parts to set up our own workshop. If we are going to assault one of these floating forts, we will need all the assistance we can get."

I propose we take the engine from one ship to use as a generator, that way we can keep Kai Tave's power source topped up until we can find him a sustainable.

Speaking of, I'm assuming that we are going to loot Plaga's stuff? Frajaq, Waci and I kneed to know what (if anything) we need to roll to salvage his puss filled equipment.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zegasi

The fighting had ceased. Good, that gave Zegasi time to think, and to talk. Groaning, the sorcerer stumbled his way over to Plaga's corpse, pulled up a crate, and sat down upon it. "Forgive me this seeming monologue, comrades, but if nothing else it will be therapeutic. And...thank you. All of you, in your varied ways."

He looked down at Plaga's eyes, now lifeless. "This was a grey day, Plaga. Perhaps we could find days of true beauty on Ithaka, but that world is many light-years away." Zegasi laughed. "Ithaka! If any of us tried to get near we'd be turned into so much chum for the kraretyer! Still, I should imagine that for Furia this sort of sky is not so grim and drab as most. And here we had to go and sully it with our gunfire and swords and psychic powers. No matter, it is patient. More patient even than your true sovereign in the Warp, I would wager."

He looked up at the endless cloud cover, blocking any sign of a sun or stars. "The problem with you, Plaga, is that you have thought with your eyes facing the ground. With your sight caged by the clouds, never trying to pierce beyond their veil. If we stay here with our petty squabbles, who do you think should ever care, but us? Who should ever notice, but us? No, Plaga, if we should dream then we should dream great. Perhaps it is the influence of the Changer of Ways that prompts me to say such, but I doubt I might disagree if I were still an honored loyalist."

The sorcerer got up from his crate, knelt beside Plaga, and tilted the former Plague Marine's head up to see the horizon in his dead eyes. Zegasi gestured to that same horizon with his other hand, pointing to the vanishing point in the distance in front of them. "Do you see this, Plaga? Perhaps it is not a beautiful world, but it is still a world. With a sky and boundless oceans. With inhabitants and a society of sorts. Yet there is an alien menace out there which would devour all of them." He reached out as if to snatch and crush some invisible thing. "Not for loyalty, or for truth, or for zeal. No, it would devour all of us simply because it is hungry, and it views a planet like we would view a meal-on-the-run. And if it succeeds at eating until there is nothing left to be eaten, then what is left of us? No one to cheer your glories with, no one to face with fury in your heart. No Gods of Chaos, no Imperium, nothing but dead mineral husks for the Necrons to mine when they next wake." Zegasi released Plaga's head and stared deeply into the sockets that shone with a dull light. "And that is what I hope to counteract. If I should see you again, alive...work with me."

It felt...good to say such words. [Is naptime over already?] Even if the imminent snark dampened such feelings. "If anyone else wishes to talk with a corpse then be my guest - I should be a hypocrite if I said otherwise. And I agree that scavenge what things we can - the ship, the heavy bolter, and the armor if nothing else." He eyed Gozer and Opifex with interest. "Perhaps one of you might be willing to teach me the rudiments of your art?"

I've kinda been listening to The Quantum Thief on audiobook, which is...something else. Also given that monologue I'm swapping to bolding my own dialogue, and bolding/bracketing That Voice.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 25, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Bazroth, Word Bearer

After finally felling the huge Plague Marine, Bazroth sneered in disgust as he shook off what foul substances had covered his weapon. Momentarily prodding Plaga's armor, he guesses that expertise in both medicae and technology will be necessary to salvage it, neither of which he possesses.

"I agree. Even if we had enough crew to run both ships, there are more pressing needs at hand. I assume that the ship we're standing on, being a 'flagship' of sorts, is of better quality than the one we used to spring the trap. Anyone with greater knowledge than I on such things is, of course, welcome to refute that. All I ask is for access to some of the ship's plating and other structural components. I have some work to do that may interest those among you dedicated to the Lord of Skulls."

Time for a scrap-metal Khorne Monument, I think.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Erika the Red

"Awww. I wanted to set something on fire. Oh well; guess I won't be needing these."

Handing off the firebombs to the nearest crewman to add back to the promethium reserve, Erika dismounts the Rust Wave with a flourish and immediately sets about the most important task of all: looting anything valuable. There had to be a gun or sword somewhere on this planet that wasn't utter trash.

"This ship might be better, but on the other hand, it did belong to a Nurglite. They tend to let their stuff fall apart, Lord of Decay and all that. Might want to look over all the systems before we jump to conclusions about which one to take. Oh, and if anybody spots a weapon that isn't made of scrap or covered in pus, tell me. I don't want to have to waste bolts on weaklings the next time we pick a fight."

If there's a Common or higher quality melee weapon and/or gun somewhere on this boat, I could really use it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

frajaq posted:

"Bring as many opponents as you like! Decay comes for all!"

"So does death!," Ariston roared as he and the massive Plague Marine traded feints and thrusts, Plaga's own pitted blade leaving fresh scars against the surface of his shield. "But yours comes all the sooner!"

And so it was. He could hear the Nurglites dying on the far side of the gangplank as crackling Warp energy, lasbolts, and Opifex's own enhanced strength tore through them. The crew of the Rust Wave raised a bloodthirsty cheer as the last one fell beneath their blades. "Witness the death of your children," he said as Bazroth's crozius brought the hulking Astartes low, Lucius and Victus' own blades finding purchase where they could as they stabbed and slashed, "and rejoice knowing that soon you will be reunited in the depths of the Warp!"

To Plaga's credit he proved a doughty foe to the end...it took both of his hands to drive his power sword's blade through the Plague Marine's hearts.

Foetid blood ripe with the stench of putrescence slicked the ground as Plaga's corpse toppled and fell. Ariston stood over the fallen Astartes for a moment as Zegasi soliloquized (sorcerers were often prone to such eccentricities), then separated the Plague Marine's head from his neck with a vicious swipe of his sword, turning and holding it aloft in his hand. "Victory!" The cheering of the Rust Wave's crew drowned out the piteous wailing of Plaga's remaining children as he mounted the head upon his trophy rack, a fine prize indeed.

He nodded as Gozer and Erika rejoined them, the rune in his helmet's display ticking upwards as more power was added to his reserve. "My thanks, bloodsmith. I will ration what power I have remaining now that we have slain all the foes that the Scavenger Lord was thoughtful enough to provide us with," he said with a dark chuckle. "The Dead Shark is a larger vessel but tainted by Nurgle's touch. The Rust Wave may prove a more suitable vessel for our purposes, though I doubt Lucius would agree. I care not which we keep, only that we secure everything of value...fuel, weapons, ammunition, parts, and the remnants of the Dead Shark's crew as well. Slaves or sacrifices, they shall serve either purpose equally well."

Turning, he beckoned the nominal leader of the Rust Wave's crew over. "With Plaga dead there are none left to oppose us here, but the Imperial vessel sinks deeper with every passing moment. If you feel there is anything yet to be gained from it while it remains above water then speak now. Otherwise your work lies with Gozer...heed his instructions well. Also, before Plaga died he spoke of a place called Kanro. Tell me all that you know of it."

frajaq posted:

Now what you guys are gonna do??

Steal absolutely loving everything we can, what else? I'm down with stripping the Dead Shark for fuel/parts/an engine/slaves and keeping the Rust Wave, but I'd also like to take anything we can use off of Plaga...wargear, that heavy bolter he dropped, weapons and ammo, and most importantly is the power source of his armor salvageable and/or useable by someone who isn't Size +20?

After that I suppose the question is whether there's any time left to even bother venturing into the Imperial Ship or if we should just cut our losses here.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 25, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'll update with ~~loot~~ stuff later, for now here's something about directions since Ariston asked

Still a bit drunk with victory, your crew of the Rust Wave begins looting the bodies of the fallen enemies, taking what little of personal spoils there can be gotten like spare ammunition and bits of armor, alongisde a few gruesome trophies for themselves, like teeth and ears. Most of them stop what they're doing when Ariston approaches then. A tall dark-skinned castaway, that seems to be some sort of sub-commander to the rest of them, named Zolgan answers the Veteran. "Very well, my Lord. If I'm to be honest I would advise for we to get away from the wreck soon, since it looks to be about to finally collapse, and you don't wanna be near it when its finally engulfed by Furia's waters." he pauses, thinking what to say. "Kanro is only a week from here, to the northwest. It is... a neutral trading point of sorts, a big round bazaar with docks all around it. Scavengers ships like ours come from all directions to trade. There is no law there, only rule of whoever is stronger that happens to be there at the time. It's a good place to find recruits and sell slaves."

Ariston notices a moment of doubt at his face. "...and...besides Skyreach and Kanro, the only other place nearby would be The Grasp, to way south of here." Suddenly the crew nearby either shudders, curses, puts their hand at their personal charm or do a protective sign with their hands, like a huge taboo was just said. "It is a dangerous place where reality and the Beyond meet, a huge metal bleeding hand in the middle of the ocean. There are daemons of blood, fury and fire, brave men go there to never return. But they go because it's said that in each finger of the hand, there is a rift, a portal to places other than this accursed Ocean World."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

Ariston listened as Zolgan spoke, nodding as the scavenger urged withdrawal from the Imperial vessel. As much as he hated to admit it, the battle against Plaga and his children had been won at the expense of time. Whatever treasures the ship might hold were soon to be consigned to the depths of Furia, along with anyone still aboard it when it sank.

There were those among his kind who would scoff at the very idea of listening to a mere human's council, but Ariston had not lived to terrorize the galaxy by spurning valuable advice. "Very well then. We shall content ourselves with the spoils we have...for now. I have not come this far only to be dragged beneath the waves by a sinking voidship."

What the scavenger had to say next, though, was much more intriguing. "A port of trade, under no rule but that of strength alone? How fortunate," he said, chuckling. "Be sure to secure rations from the Dead Shark for our captives. It would not do for our newly won slaves to starve before they can be bartered for something more useful."

The other destination that he spoke of though, "The Grasp,"...it was another way off of this benighted world, but by all accounts a risky one. Though it was debatable whether navigating a gauntlet of daemons and warp-spawned madness was more or less risky than deposing the so-called Scavenger Lord from the seat of his power. And leaving by way of a portal meant that they would be just as stranded on whatever world it spat them out upon, whereas securing a ship for themselves meant freedom...and the chance to pursue his rightful vengeance, not only against his treacherous self but the Imperium as well, along with anyone else who dared to oppose him.

Okay, my vote is to head for Kanro and do some haggling, some fighting, some looting, etc. Maybe kill a bunch of people and take their stuff, maybe Vatra and Bazroth can do some speechifying and recruit us some more fodder for our growing warband, maybe do some actual trading. After that I vote we head for Skyreach to see about getting off this world (while killing and looting even more along the way).

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 25, 2014

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Vatra the Whisperer

The Apostate coughs and coughs before finally hacking up an exceedingly large amount of phlegm. With his throat finally clear he starts to roar out new orders.... only to see that Plaga had been overrun and defeated. Vatra cursed and stomped his foot on the deck, how unfortunate. He had only stayed behind in order to taunt Plaga in his death throes at the very end. Stepping in on the conversation between Ariston and Zolgan the Apostate overhears the information before weighing in.

"Wealth is power on a world with as little as this, the more we have to barter the more strength we'll have to take that which we want. Everything, however minor, still possesses value here."

Echoing Kai Tave's vote for Kanro for trading/looting/converting. Also I want to make sure we take EVERYTHING that isn't bolted down, and even the stuff that if we can disassemble it from the Dead Shark quickly enough. I'll also throw out us taking the Dead Shark with us to trade the ship itself, though I'm not sure just how much fuel we have atm and don't want to waste too much of our stockpile.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Lucius the Devourer

As Plaga fell into ignoble death, his soul freed from it's mortal coil and sent to join the Grandfather, Lucius Lucius felt his own legs collapse under him as his stomach began to rebel against him. His mind was flooded with confusion as his feeling of strength faded from him and a leaden feeling of exhaustion took hold. The drug had worn off and taken it's toll upon him.

As the marines celebrate their victory, the nurglite struggled back to his feet, leaving his scythe where it lay on the ground, too tired to make the effort to pick it up. The marines had nearly finished their speeches before he was able to regain his senses enough to pay attention to what was being said.

"What? No, I don't care about the Plague Marines ship. Just because I follow plaguefather doesn't mean I have a fetish for filth. I just use it to honor him when I make a try to honor him. Keeps me on his good side. And I would suggest that we make our way to the market along with Plaga's head, to show how tough we are."

Feeling some of the exhaustion fade away, Lucius walks back to reclaim his scythe from next to the headless corpse and beginning to clean it. The rag in his hand sizzles and pops as the plague marines toxic blood begins to eat away at it, and the steel blade shows marks where the toxic stuff had eaten at the metal. An annoyed "tsk" makes it's way out of the death priests mouth as he observes the now damaged weapon. It had served it's purpose, but now he was left with only his sword again.

The knife, a sword really, in Plaga's dead hand drew his attention after a moment. The plague marines grip in death was as strong as it was in life, rigid enough that there was little chance he could pry the weapon from Plaga's warm dead hand. But the marine had proven to be a good enemy, and a loyal follower of nurgle. He deserved to have some of his flesh left to rot, rather than to be eaten by beasts when the ship finally sank.

Gripping the shaft of the scythe tightly in both hands, Lucius put the blade of the weapon against the wrist-joint of the plague marines power armor, and braced his foot against the hand. A hard yank on the haft let the blade bite through the joint and into the flesh beneath before it found itself stuck against the hardened bone in the Astarte's arm. It took a moment of wiggling to free the blade again, and another yank to start cutting it's way through. A half dozen repetitions of the action left the plague marines hand, knife still held tight in it, separated from his arm. The blade of the scythe, already weakened by the marines blood, was now ragged and chipped.

Tossing the damaged weapon aside with a clang, Lucius took possession of the severed hand and the plague knife, and made his way back to the rest of the group and it's discussion.

Taking the plague knife, the severed hand is a trophy from the fight. Lucius won't push for any decision, but has voiced his opinion.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

Gozer Steeples his fingers and listens. "Yes, I think the trading city of Kanro would be a good option. We might even want to keep both ships around to see if we can sell one for a price." He hesitates before speaking, "Then after that we should make for this Grasp. If the barrier between the Warp and the Material realm is that weak, it would aid in various Chaos rituals, especially if Ms. The Red is still insane enough to bring a daemon into herself."

Could I make tests to see if gozer might know stuff about the grasp or places like it? FL warp would be 66, FL Daemonology would be 96, with 2 extra DoS.

Werix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 28, 2014

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Erika the Red

Erika continues to rifle through the dead men's pockets and weapons as she speaks.

"I agree; we head to Kanro for supplies. And Gozer, I assure you, I will always be insane enough to want a daemon riding along with me, but are you sure attempting a Slaaneshi summoning ritual on a planet dedicated to the Blood God, while you in turn are dedicated to the Blood God, while in a warp rift that certainly sounds connected to the domains of the Blood God, is a better idea than just stealing a voidship from Skyreach? I mean, you're the daemonologist here, it's your call."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

The heretek smiles at the Pirate Princess, "What is important is that in such a location the veil is weak. If weak enough, then that would off-set the disadvantages of a Khornate dragging aSlaaneshi Daemon into this realm devoted to Khorne as it is." He then taps his augmented head, "and do not forget, there are those runes of power from the ship we could also use. The issue will be getting enough fuel, and sacrifices, to make it there, perform the ritual, and then make it back."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

While the Dead Shark is indeed bigger than the Rust Wave, it is very decayed and rusty, and only managed to travel in Furia's water to this day due to much dedication of Plaga and all of his nurglite crew. And now Plaga is dead and half his crew murdered. It's unlikely the scavenger ship would manage to reach whatever his destination in one piece.

The non-combat crew of the Rust Wave starts their work of quickly dismantling what they can before the imperial ship wreck sinks nearby, using ramshackle las-cutter and other tools. For the combat crew part, they brutally capture the nurglite mutant rabble after they loot the dead, leading them into slave pens in the depths of the Rust Wave, taking what passes for disgusting rations to feed them with.

One of your castaways picks a sword in decent state from a dead corpse, looking pretty satisfied with himself. When he sees Erika the Red he changes his mind and kneels in front of the pirate princess instead, offering it to her with both hands. It looks completely average and it smells a bit, but it's not in poor state like the other looted equipment. (Erika gets a Common quality sword.)

After Ariston cuts the head and Lucius cuts a hand, Plaga's corpse and his equipment is dragged to the Rust Wave's deck, and you discover that the Plague Marine is just as heavy as he looks. His massive bloated form distorted most of the power armor, beyond salvage and use for any of the astartes present. The only exception being a few enhanced ceramite plates in his chest, that could be extracted with some skill for future use.

Plaga's loot: 1 Legion Heavy Bolter with 48/60 ammunition and 1 extra standard clip
2 Legion Frag Grenades
Repair Ceramite Kit
Enhanced Ceramite Plating (Needs to pass one -40 Tech-Use test first. Failure and the sub-system is lost.)
Plague Knife (yoinked away by Lucius already)

Opifex head down to the nurgle ship's infirmary. Or at least what passes for it for nurglites. As you suspected, most of the medical supplies are contaminated or corrupted, which worked just fine for the Dead Shark, but not so much for the you and your fellow heretics. But, they had to scavenge this from somewhere, so maybe with some attention and skill one could replenish Victus medkit with the more recent looted supplies.

Anyone can try a +0 Scrutiny test to successfully replenish your medkit for the time being.

Gozer thinks hard about The Grasp, if it's just the other places where the veil is weak like you encountered in your travels across the Screaming Vortex, the place could indeed be very suitable for a ritual, regardless of which God the ritual is for. You also realize that with some time analyzing whatever portals you may find, you'll be able to divine where the portals go, if you desire to use them. It's very likely they will lead to other planets of the Screaming Vortex. (I rolled FL(Warp) and you got some nice DoS)

Your current ~sweet loot~ in the Rust Wave's holds:
- 400 packs of lho-sticks, each one has 20 lho-sticks inside
- 200 servings of Recaf
- 40 poor quality porno pics
- 50 mutant slaves
- Many spare ship parts teared off from the Dead Shark, for future repairs
- A small surplus of spare parts for trading
- 20 crates of autogun ammunition

frajaq fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 1, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

As the crew of the Rust Wave began dismantling the captured Nurglite vessel with ruthless enthusiasm (if not exactly efficiency), Ariston kept his armor active long enough to assist in hauling Plaga's massive corpse, along with his wargear, to the deck of their own ship at the behest of Opifex who hoped to salvage something of worth from the Plague Marine's armor.

The only part of Plaga's armor which interested him was the power source, which was unfortunately just as warped and oversized as Plaga himself. Though Ariston was no tech-smith even he knew that there would be no mounting such a reactor upon his own armor, and the power that Gozer had provided left him with only three hours of combat worthiness remaining. Perhaps in Kanro they would find something more suitable to trade for...or simply to seize by force he thought to himself with a grin as he hefted Plaga's heavy bolter and allowed his armor's machine spirit to commune with the weapon's own.

Unless someone objects, since Ariston has the highest BS of the player Astartes I volunteer to "hold on" to the heavy bolter for now, I promise to only use it for evil. Someone else can have the enhanced ceramite plating if/when it gets stripped and we can divy up rad/frag grenades however people want.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Victus

Gazing at the fallen Plague Marine, who was so smug and confident in his triumph, Victus couldn't help but notice the trophy taking. Although he didn't do any real damage compared to the other Heretics, it felt wrong to not partake of the spoils...

Victus is going to search around for any icons representing Nurgle - he might be interested in taking such iconography from higher-level servants of the individual Dark Gods in the interests of making a item extolling and exhorting the banner of Chaos Undivided - and failing that, he's just going to be a copycat and take a hand as well.

He turned to Gozer. "I thank you for the continued use of this axe in the name of the Dark Gods. Rest assured that I will return it to you in times of need and when I have procured a more suitable replacement." He then noticed Erika. "The same applies to you, Pirate Princess. This is your item still, and should you be able to barter it away for something of higher quality at the next trading port I will return it to you. The Gods and I both know you are better at haggling than me."

Victus couldn't help but eye the Plague Knife that would have almost certainly disemboweled him with a single hit. He thought to reach for it, then noticed Lucius pocket it away. At that moment, it dawned on Victus that someone in the service of Great Father Nurgle is the only acceptable wielder of a plague knife - misfortune would certainly visit him should he possess it.

The thought of having the knife perished in his mind. He would continue to be reliant on the rest of his allies to gain weaponry in the future, it would seem.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

Gozer paces the deck, stopping by Erika before exclaiming to the group, "If this warp phenomenon is like others, I should be able to spend some time studying each portal to see where it goes, so we would not be going in blind. Surely if we can escape to a world where leaving by void ship is much more ... common than this one, it would be better than trying to forcibly extract ourselves at the aptly named Skyreach." He then shrugs, "I would leave our course of action to the rest of you however. In Khorne's eyes might makes right, and i would lack the power to enforce my will on the rest of you. That said, it appears that heading to Kanro is the agreed upon decision. Once there we should sell what we have and try to get as much fuel and provisions as we can to put into effect our plans, whatever they are at that point. Those of us with marketable skills, like myself and Opifex should ply them to try and gather extra income."

He then motions for his allies to crowd around him, and whispers to Erika hoping that it is out of earshot of the crew, "Ms. The Red, what exactly is the standard protocol when it comes to paying pirates. Something tells me they'll want payment when we reach our destination, and if we don't want a mutiny on our hands we should figure out how to effectuate that."

As for the armor, I should be able to do a tech use at 66 (tech use +20, +10 from utility, +10 combitool, -40DC unless someone else wants to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

Ariston watched as Victus' gaze hungrily followed the blade that Lucius had claimed from the fallen Plague Marine. The assassin was perhaps a bit too gregarious for his tastes, and far too eager to venerate the Dark Gods, but it was his surprise attack that had silenced Plaga's heavy bolter long enough for them to close the distance without suffering further casualties. "Worry not," he said, "for when we reach Kanro we will find a weapon worthy of a daring warrior such as yourself even if we have to wrest it from the cooling hand of its owner.

He followed as Gozer gestured them all closer as the Rust Wave's crew set to work and listened as the bloodsmith voiced his concerns. "Payment?," Ariston said, snorting contemptuously. "Their payment is the continued sufferance of their lives, as well as the opportunity to avail themselves of an existence greater than picking at the bones of drowning voidships. If they desire fortune and glory then they will either claim it by their own strength of arms and determination or die an ignoble death like so many others before them. They should count themselves among the honored to have the opportunity to do so in such illustrious company."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Warpsmith Opifex, aided by Erika and Gozer manage to carefully disengage the ceramite plating junction bolts from Plaga's bloated armor, a hard task since some of the pieces are twisted and severely rusted, but the skillful Heretics prevail as the pieces are carefully separated away from the Plague Marine's body. Since his body is already starting to stink and is now useless, he's unceremoniously thrown off the deck into the waters below.

You guys gained one Enhanced Ceramite Plating power armor sub-system! Now to decide who gets it!

The nurglite Lucius heads down to the Dead Shark's infirmary to scavenge for medical supplies, your familiarity with Nurgle contamination and corruption helps in separating what's too decayed for use and what can be actually salvaged to use in non-nurglite organisms. Slowly, Victus med-kit is re-supplied once again. (Your med-kit works again!)

Just when everyone is ready to just leave the stripped down nurglite ship and get away from the sinking Imperial wreck, tragedy strikes. A curious Opifex heads to the closest place in the deck of where he threw his cursed multi-melta to the ocean in a fit of rage, he pokes his head to see if the weapon actually sank to the ocean below. In this moment a black torpedo-shark (another of Furia's deadly aquatic fauna) jumps out of the water with unnatural speed, quickly closing his jaw on Opifex's head, crushing it like a watermelon with obsidian teeth, big enough to sink into the power armor, as it drags the Warpsmith down to the Ocean World waters. :rip:

The Rust Wave, towards Kanro

Regardless if anyone was shocked at a so sudden death of a previous comrade, the Heretics must move forward, for their own sake. The Warpsmith's death a sobering reminder to never let your guard down in a world cursed by the Blood God.

With everyone on the Rust Wave, loot fully separated in your holds, the ship's boarding ramp is lift up again as it separates from the stripped down nurglite ship, now one more wreck in this ocean of death. Like as planned, the ship starts moving towards northwest toward Kanro, leaving the now-rapidly sinking Imperial prison ship behind. After you move a safe distance, you all look behind to see the voidship wreck completely disappear, causing a brief but giant whirlpool in the waters around it, dragging the Dead Shark's down with the force of turbulent waters.

As you finally settle yourselves on the Rust Wave, you realize just how exhausted, tired and injured you all are. Some more than others, obviously, but effects are there nonetheless. Bones and muscle ache, your eyes and minds tired from what you suffered. You all had a very, very stressful day in Furia. Set upon this murderous world by chance you were assailed by dangers everywhere right from the start. And yet not only you survived, but you thrived, stealing a ship from the forces of a powerful Warpsmith and sinking another, earning the trust of your "stolen" crew as you lead them into victory and spoils of war. Maybe you're all not a complete disappointment to the Dark Gods yet!

:toot: Everyone gets 250 XP and +2 Infamy. It's gonna take a week for you to reach Kanro so you'll have plenty of time to rest and recover from whatever wounds you have. Your Infamy points are refreshed too.

I want a post from everyone before I next update with Kanro, it can be with interactions in the ship or whatever. I just want to know if everyone is still interested in this, since I'll have to re-recruit to replace Waci anyway.

Criticisms of the game are welcome in the OOC thread!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

Opifex's death was sudden and unexpected, but Ariston had no time to waste on human frailties like grieving or regret. Death came to all things, and Furia was a world steeped in danger. The same could happen to any one of them if they let their guard down for an instant, but he had no intention of dying on a backwater such as this. His destiny lay elsewhere and he would seize it long before he allowed death to seize him in turn.

He glanced down at the water where the ripples were already fading, silently cursing Khorne for depriving them not only of an ally but his equipment as well. He could have put the warpsmith's power source to good use, but there was no helping it now. Kanro, or the Scavenger Lord, would have to provide for him.

The first day on their journey was given over to recuperation and recovery from their various wounds. Zegasi was the most injured of them but his Astartes physiology would allow him to recover where a mortal man would likely have perished. Heeding Gozer's advice he powered his armor down and allowed the bloodsmith to assist in removing it until they reached Kanro.

The next day he gathered the crew of the Rust Wave onto the deck of the ship, waiting until the ragged scavengers were standing at a semblance of attention before addressing them. "To survive on a world like this requires tenacity and ruthlessness," he said. "The willingness to kill without hesitation or mercy. I have watched you fight, both against me and alongside me, and I have observed these qualities in you. That is good. Yet the Nurglites should have fallen before you effortlessly but they were able to exact a toll in blood before you could put them down like the mangy curs they were."

He paced before them, glowering. "Why is that? Because you are sloppy. Undisciplined. Uncoordinated. Your accuracy is appalling, your skill at arms better but only just. Furia has taught you survival and savagery, but to conquer requires skill and discipline. I will teach you these things...or you will die trying. We will begin with the sword. You think it nothing but a sharpened piece of metal fit for hacking away like a butcher, but you will soon learn otherwise..."

Ariston will spend the next week doing what he can to add some polish to our ragtag band of scavengers. Melee drills, target practice, rudimentary formation fighting, the works.

Also since frajaq has reworked the costs of advanced archetypes that means I have 500xp in addition to the 250xp we just gained sooooo I'm spending 500xp to pick up Storm of Iron and 250xp on Rapid Reload.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 2, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

If you have an Advanced Archetype please look at this post

I basically made them cheaper (following recent #acolyte trends/discussion), so if you picked a Human Advanced Archetype you should have 1000 XP to spend, and if you picked a CSM Advanced Archetype you should have 500 XP to spend.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Erika the Red

Well, so much for Opifex; Erika thought it was a shame to see him go out that way after all he'd done. More importantly, it was a disturbing reminder that any of them could be cut down by a moment of bad luck. The faster they got to Kanro, the faster she could get to either a voidship or a suitable place for the possession ritual. Before all this, she would have balked at sacrificing the chance for apotheosis for power in the present, but anything was preferable to dying, forgotten. If she was going out, she was going out big. Besides, who said that the Possessed never achieved Princedom? Somebody had to be the first, and who better than Erika the Red?

---

There wasn't a great deal to do on the ship, which was depressing. She had started out practicing with the sword she'd found, finding that it was barely passable as a weapon. At least it was consistent, unlike her junked power sword and its flickering power field; the faster she could find someone to fix it up a little, the better. After that, she'd spent some time examining the ship's controls and systems, concluding that there wasn't really anything to be done to speed it up. Certainly couldn't do anything interesting with it, not like you could with a jump pack or a tank or a voidship. She'd have killed for any of those.

Ariston's little training regimen did inspire one good idea on how to spend the time; she needed to start working a retinue. It always paid to have a few disposable men around to soak up spare bullets. Even if they were worthless she could always just shoot one to prove a point, that was always fun. After a little deliberation, she picked out an ugly fellow who always seemed to be tinkering with a flamer that he'd clearly looted from some Imperial wreck, judging by the crudely scratched-out aquila on the backpack tank. He seemed perfect material: hulking, well-armed, and clearly none too bright (considering that the height of his modifications was a knife he'd crudely attached under the barrel).

Erika walked over to him casually during one of the rare breaks Ariston allowed the men. "Oy, you. Whatever your name is. You're clearly more competent than the others, and I think you've got what it takes. Stick with me, don't ask questions, and do what I tell you, and you can get off this planet with us. Deal?"

The man stared at her dumbly for a moment, then grinned. "Deal."

Okay, spending all this extra XP on Hothot Pilot, a Lesser Minion, Air of Authority, and Int +5.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Bazroth, Word Bearer

The Warpsmith's sudden death reminded Bazroth that even while undertaking the Gods' penance, life was not a guarantee, and Dark Apostle tried to keep himself busy on the way to Kanro.

His first responsibility was to minister to the spiritual needs of the ship, whatever they might be. While the demand for formal rituals and services was likely sparse, he offered advice and counsel to anyone who asked.

In his spare hours, he inquired about their destination in depth. Canvassing the crew - most of which, he assumed, had been there - he attempted to gain a good impression of the place and its inhabitants. Such information would hopefully be useful when he tried his hand at recruiting more members for their ad-hoc warband when they sailed into port.

Probably no dice rolls needed for Baz to walk around playing psychologist, but I will make an Inquiry check to get info on Kanro, TN 60 before any mods.
Spent XP on Interrogate, +WS, and Trade: Remembrancer

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

As the torpedo shark jumps out of the water to grab Opifex, Gozer actually screams out and stumbles across the deck to the marine's location, trying to keep him aboard the ship. Just as he reaches out he trips over some piece of junk on the deck and falls flat on his face, helpless to watch as the Warpsmith's feet disappear under the waves. The heretek remains on his belly for a few minutes, lacking the the motivation to get up. Emotions stormed within him. He was just so angry; while he had known him a short time, Opifex was the only true ally he felt he had here. To a tech-priest, loyalist or not, nothing binds them together better than solving a tough project together, and recovering the armor from the tainted raptor had been a true challenge.

Gozer had though the two of them could have done so much together, once they had the proper equipment and facilities. To have been robbed of that opportunity by some twist of fate left the heretek with another feeling, one of emptiness and longing he hadn't felt since before he began to tread down the path of Glory; considering that he first put his foot on that patch at age 16, that was quite some time ago.

Gozer picks himself up, and feels an odd itching on his face. He reaches his hand up to touch it, and finds a strange moisture there under his eyes. Confused as to what it is, he quickly wipes it away before solemnly disappearing below decks, needing only time to tinker with the mechanisms of the ship.

And so the first couple of days are spent doing exactly that, the heretek haunting the engine room and maintenance hatches, just to keep himself occupied. On the third day he finally appears up on deck, ostensibly following some power conduit, only to emerge during Ariston's combat training. He stares for a while, watching the astartes expertly drill them in micro-combat skills, focusing on the individual combatant, the dodge, the parry, taking cover and the like.

But they lacked a Macro-level combat view. He approaches Ariston and silences the group. "You all fight competently enough, but battle is about more that knowing how to fight well, it is also about knowing how to fight together. Naval combat techniques are rarely covered in the tactica Imperialis" Gozer begins, the italics around the book title almost audible in his speech pattern, "but many of the techniques applied in void combat work the same here. Judging by the make up of the ship, it appears that your primary techniques do not involve grappling hooks or small vessels, but instead in getting right next to your target and using a gangway. This has many strengths. A core tight group skilled at melee combat and properly armored, backed up with marksmen still on board peppering the defenders with gun fire, can soften up the enemy for a charge attack. I want each of you to perform and honest self assessment. Those of you who think themselves good melee fighters to my left, and those better with an autogun to my right..."

So far banking exp until my question in the OOC thread is answered. Trying to befriend a new astartes pet by using my infused knowledge and combat formation to instill actual macro-level combat strategies to the troops, since Gozer is an armchair general.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

Ariston's barked instructions trailed off as Gozer interjected during drills on the third day of travel, giving the bloodsmith a curious look before a grin split his ravaged features. One of the crew, bolder than the others and seeking glory, attempted to put the day's lessons into practice by driving his sword into him while he was momentarily distracted. Ariston contemptuously parried the crude attack without looking, then laid the scavenger out with a single bonejarring punch, the rest of the crew chuckling and jeering at his misfortune.

The broken nose would be a suitable reminder that ambition without talent led only to ruin, but such initiative was laudable nonetheless. The men and women of Furia were crude raw materials, but with time and training perhaps they could be forged into something more.

A sentiment that Gozer seemed to share as he began organizing them into groups to practice formation tactics. Several of the crew looked to him hesitantly, as though unsure whether they should heed the bloodsmith's words or not. "What are you waiting for? Do as he said!," he shouted, putting a swift end to that. "Assault troops on the left, gunners on the right! Move! If you scum fancy yourselves reavers then show me!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Lucius the Devourer

The Death Priest finds himself unphased by the sudden death of the warpsmith. It was obvious that the sea-life had taken it's revenge upon the strange techmarine for having dumped the blight drone into the water. Little of nature, chaos-tainted or not, enjoyed the presence of a daemon of nurgle, even one that was bound into a mechanical form. Unless it was a creature influenced by nurgle in the first place. But this place seemed to be leaning towards the blood gods influence, if the juggernaught was any indication... which it undoubtedly was.

For the next week, Lucius stayed mostly on the deck, working with his looted plague knife, really more of a sword than a knife, at least in his non-astartes hands. He claimed a corner of the Rust Wave's deck for his exercise, making sure that the crew stayed out of his way with their training. Not that many of them were interesting in coming near him, with the rather putrid smell emanating from the rotting skin that he wore over his armor, and the even worse stench of the plague marine hand that adorned his belt.

Occasionally Lucius made it a point to exchange a few words with Ariston, the ancient marine seeming to be the most competent and influential person among the ragtag group that was aboard the ship. After all, from his understanding, fallen marines tended to make powerful warband leaders, and a strong leader would likely need good enforcers.

Buying Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Plague Knife) with my newfound xp, +10 WS, totalling 1250xp, which is exactly what I had available, woo.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 5, 2014

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zegasi

And then there were eight. Such a shame to see another Astartes go, in particular. Ah well, nothing to do here but set up a small memorial with whatever chalk he could scrounge.

There, that looked more like it. Perhaps the Warpsmith might object to the austere epitaph of "Opifex, former Techmarine of strange luck, fell here to a shark", but if so Zegasi would be more glad than he was today.

Yet there remained other concerns for himself and for the gang as a whole. His staff was still flawed (hopefully Gozer might repair it with sufficient supplies), the crew needed more supplies to set out beyond the floating villages of Kanro, and their underlings required some training. Underlings. Were not the Astartes intended to be administrators and exemplars, assuming the Great Crusade had run its presumed course? ["Assuming" is such a strong word.] Administration was not Zegasi's particular vocation within the Adeptus Astartes, but he still had sufficient skill to teach.

"Ariston! I would hope that you still have room for instructors?" The sorcerer grinned as he draw his combat knife, gripping the blade in one armored gauntlet to signify his ease and lack of malice. "Plus, I doubt that you could find another here more equipped to give instruction in the practical applications of psykers, or how to combat them."

Conserving my 300 xp for now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ariston the Hekatonkheir

Ariston looked up from where he had stepped aside to give Lucius some tutelage in the handling of his newfound battle trophy while Gozer ran the Rust Wave's crew through a simulated boarding exercise, crates and barrels providing obstacles while scrap metal backstops rang with the sound of autogun rounds. "I admit I had not expected to see you up and about so soon," he said. "Even for an Astartes the wounds you took were severe, but it is good to see you recovering so swiftly...there will be much more call for your skills before we have left this wretched world behind. As for your offer," he said with a grin, "provided you can train them in such without damaging them too greatly, by all means. They are crude, but vicious and malleable nonetheless."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Gozer

Gozer smiles at the Sorcerer, "I think we could all learn from how best to kill a psyker; you'll hear no complaint from me on such instruction."

• Locked thread